6: High Society.
86 6 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After my little episode, Icarus beckoned for his companion to come forward. The young man also wore white robes and in his hand, he carried a small wooden chest with a rather simple design. What is it?

When the man opened it for us to see, a necklace shone brilliantly. Icarus picked it up and I saw the necklace split into two. Upon closer inspection, I saw a single gold feather design in both of the necklaces. 

It was... okay I guess.

"It's crafted by the Grand Priest himself. The feather is plucked from the rare Owlet-Nightjar bird that the Grand Priest is taking care of. A grand gift indeed." 

A number of nobles who heard Icarus' explanation exclaimed with awe. "I heard rumors of the only existing Nightjar in the world is in the Holy Empire. It was true!"

"The Owlet-Nightjar is said to have divine powers!"

"I bet it's worth cities!"

A feather is worth that much? Then again having divinity is rare.

Icarus returned the gift into the chest and a servant took it away. I heard my father express his gratitude for the Holy Empire's gift.

"This one bid the twins' a harmonious birthday! Glory to Glarios Kingdom!" The two priests from the Holy Empire bent their waist slightly to show respect.

"Please Icarus, don't be so courteous. We humbly accept the Holy Empire's greetings." King Henry replied and all of the royal family acquiesced.

As Icarus and his companion silently retreated to their table, a man dressed in blue brocades slowly walked forward. I'd never seen that kind of robe before. He also had worn what seemed to be a black hat? But it was rather different.

As I gazed at his silky and shiny blue robes with intricate flower patterns stitched in a darker shade of blue, I noticed a light green pendant hanging on his waist. It was tied against a wide silver belt. Then I heard the servant state his name and status.

"His Highness, Xie Jing Yuan, ninth prince of the Rishan Empire!"

Shi what now?

I let my sights behold the man in blue brocades. He had a gentle and scholarly aura, his face was more of feminine features with his fair tone, his eyes much smaller than the usual with a warm gaze and a soft smile. The man greeted us in a unique way, his right hand cupped his left fist and bent his waist forward.

"This humble prince greets the royal family of the Glarios Kingdom!" His voice was mellow but all of us heard his distinct accent. He stood upright and waved his long sleeves without waiting for a reply.

Two men wearing green robes similar to his, carried a large chest and the prince opened it quickly. A scent that is distinctive to fresh soil permeated my nose. Somehow it was invigorating. But what I saw was only plants!? Or was it vegetables?

"The emperor bestows a box full of 100-year-old ginseng for the royal family. And for the twins, this humble prince prepared the Ghost Orchid. These gifts symbolize longevity. May Glarios Kingdom prosper forevermore."

I was suddenly startled when I heard a snort above me when the ninth prince finished talking. 

Who was that? The Crown Prince or the King?

When I looked back at the Rishan prince, I didn't see his reaction but suddenly in his hands, was a potted plant. It was so big, almost as if it was a branch of a tree. But what caught my eyes was the white flower that hung slightly in the air. Five thin petals centered around a green head that protruded outwards with two additional petals dangling below it. It looked like an insect.

A second of silence filled around us and no one seemed eager to talk. Fortunately, someone caught the conversation away from awkwardness.

"Emperor Qin is very generous with his gift. Truly! I heard that 100-year-old ginsengs were a luxury that only His Imperial Majesty could have. We are very grateful for his sincerity." Queen Magdalene ranted with amazement.

I didn't see the Queen's face behind me so I didn't know if it was sincere or not, but based on her tone, it was friendly. I ignored the awkwardness creeping and just focused on the gifts. I felt my mood sink.

First, it was feathers, now it was plants! What's wrong with these people? How can a baby appreciate these things!

Xie Jing Yuan bowed his head and said his gentle reply. It was rather perfunctory. The prince then went back to his seat.

Another man from a neighboring kingdom walked forward and presented his gift. This routine lasted for a while.

Then after an hour, the line gradually decreased. And I was happy with the nobles' gifts I received. They were all shining. Toys, jewelry, bolts of fancy cloth, and rare gems were a feast for my eyes. After a while, the crowd started to stir the moment the giving of gifts was finished and the King ordered for the banquet to begin. When the smell of food reached my nose, I heard my brother Ethan squealing with delight. What a foodie.

We were taken by Emma and the other maids to feed us quietly at their seats. That was when I noticed an unfamiliar presence from the corner of my eyes. I looked towards him. The man was seated beside Prince Harold. Who is he? Grand Duke?

His face was full of indifference and coldness that it looked like he was not enjoying the banquet. Rather, he looked bored. The man's eyes were the lightest blue as if it was white and paired with black shoulder-length hair, for me, he seemed rather lonely. As if he felt my sights on him, the Grand Duke turned and stared at me. I held my gaze as a familiar feeling rose inside me. This man is similar to my father.

I heard the maids' voice and broke eye contact; I happily ate away the food before me. I glanced at my brother and as I thought, he was a mess. Fortunately, the maids were prepared to have him wear a bib. Tsk.

Two hours had passed by, and I felt sleepy. The nobles started to stand up and chat away with the others. Some were dancing at the center of the hall, mostly it was the young teenagers, and the ambiance was so cheerful. The royal family also participated in this social charade. Light music accompanied the laughter and chattering, creating a happy and relaxed atmosphere.

Father and mother were talking with the Grand Duke, Sir Rowan, Prince Harold, and other men and women whom I didn't recognize; they were speaking in a relaxed and friendly manner; the group huddled at the left side of the hall. 

While at another side of the hall, Princess Barbara in her gold gown was eye-catching, her stature imposing, and beside her was Crown Princess Averille with her gentleness and elegance; they were surrounded with other women of high statuses, tittering, smiling, and eyeing one another.

Near the entrance were King Henry, Queen Magdalene, Crown Prince Alfred, together with the representatives of the neighboring kingdoms. And at the very corner of the hall, I saw the Rishan Prince and Icarus together, observing quietly.

When Ethan suddenly cried out, in a flash, mother was right in front of us, looking worried. "Ethan, what's wrong?"

My brother stretched out his small arms and gave a pitiful look to mother. I inwardly scoffed and almost rolled my eyes. So clingy!

Mother, of course, softened her gaze and picked Ethan up in her arms. My brother then giggled as he settled so comfortably in mother's arms. Tsk!

I glanced sideways and saw that my father was walking towards me. Wait, is he going to carry me?

"Emilia, come. My comrades wish to see you." Without hesitation, the duke picked me up and I could not even complain that I wished to sleep. I blinked my eyes twice to focus my sights on the crowd who were staring at me.

As my father introduced me to his companions, I heard that they were in the same corps three years ago. I silently listened and observed them as they gushed and cooed right in front of me. 

Why was it every time, they do these weird expressions? Their faces had distorted into an abnormal way, their voices a pitch higher. I do not understand

When a burst of laughter reached my ears, all of their eyes suddenly lit up and their smiles widened even more. Strange.

I glanced at Ethan and he was happily laughing in mother's arms, his face so bright and cheerful that his teeth were showing. He seems happy.

Mother is also enjoying herself.

As I stared at the crowd before me, every detail of the dresses, suits, and pieces of jewelry caught my eyes, I almost went blind with the sparkling lights. Their faces were ladened with their smiles and laughter was all around them. It seems everyone is happy.

Am I happy?

Ever since I had consciousness, I was always observing the people around me, listening to their stories. The past seven months living as Emilia was as unfamiliar as it could be. Knowing I had been born as a baby, I was shocked. Seeing I had a family, I was uncomfortable. I felt that it was all a dream. 

Why did I feel that way? But little by little, unknowingly I had grown accustomed to the people around me. Experiencing all these emotions was a novelty itself. Although I asked myself, 'why was it a novelty?'

Why do I feel that this new life as Emilia Kinsley Redgrave is not for me?

Who was I exactly? I had no memories but I had an understanding of my surroundings. Although I knew that as a baby, it seemed impossible for me to have these kinds of thoughts. When I looked at Ethan, he gave me the impression that we were not the same and that he was thinking like a normal baby. He was too childish and I was too mature.

Everyone had said so. That I was different from others my age; that I was too calm. However, I thought myself a genius, a prodigy, that even before a year old my comprehension was that of an adult. 

But is it really like that?

Deep down I knew that I was not normal. Ethan was also not normal.

As I was contemplating my life crisis, I heard my father's voice. "Little Emilia, what are you thinking about?"

I turned my head and gazed at the man who was carrying me. His amber eyes looked golden under the lights. This is my father.

"Emilia is too quiet, don't you think so, Duke?" A low voice muttered beside father.

It was Sir Rowan who was still in his armor but nevertheless, he looked like he was enjoying the feast. And by his side I saw the Grand Duke sipping from his wine glass, his eyes lowered. 

Sir Rowan continued to mumble as I stared at him. "She always seems to be in deep thoughts. Like now, she's looking at me and I feel she's able to understand what I'm saying. Somehow, it makes me uneasy."

Well, I do understand you.

"Sir Rowan, my Emilia has won against you, a knight of the Glarios kingdom is uncomfortable with a little child."

As soon as my father finished, Sir Rowan's expression was ugly, his handsome face no more as he pursed his lips.

Then a loud bang jolted everyone out of their reverie. The door suddenly opened and a voice pierced through the silence.

"We're not late, are we?" Two men strode forward from the entrance, their outfits laced with fur most likely from their hunts. Their height was tall, their built bulky and their ghostly skin coupled with their nonchalant attitude were like a strong breeze, storming their way through the crowd.

The two interrupters stopped when they were in front of the King and Queen of Glarios.

The hall was silent and it was rather deafening to the ears. Until Ethan burped aloud. I suddenly snickered despite myself.

"Glory to Glarios Kingdom! Did I say it right?" The man grinned and his thick reddish beard also moved as it was like a puppet. The two bent their waists and bowed their heads as a sign of respect.

"Jarl Amund Brandr." King Henry replied while Queen Magdalene smiled, bowing her head slightly.

King Henry turned to Crown Prince Alfred and introduced him. "This is my eldest son, Crown Prince Alfred Blois Regnier. This king hopes that Glarios Kingdom and Noria Empire will be amicable in the years to come."

Crown Prince Alfred greeted with such a vibrant tone. "Hail to Noria Empire!" Such enthusiasm. That's a first from him.

The Norian Jarl returned the greeting. "Ahh, so this is Prince Alfred. This is the first time we met face-to-face. Can't say that I saw you though, in the battle three years ago."

A second ensued and it seemed that Prince Alfred was thinking hard what to reply, he was flustered. Fortunately, he answered, "You were in another Sphere, Jarl Amund. I was in the Third Sphere; you were in the First. It's understandable that you didn't see me."

Jarl Amund nodded his head. "You were in the same Sphere as Edward, yes?"

Prince Alfred didn't say anything and only smiled in response.

The man beside Jarl Amund whispered something to him and the conversation took another turn. "This day is for a celebration of life. Excuse me while I go give my greetings to the Redgrave family."

The Norian men broke away from King Henry's group and briskly walked towards us. Prince Alfred's face looked like he had eaten something bad.

Why did this birthday celebration seem to turn into a pot of boiling water? Relationships in high society are very troublesome.

As expected, father also heard everything and beckoned mother to stand beside him, carrying us siblings while waiting for them. Duke Edward greeted Jarl Amund first while Princess Lillian warmly smiled at him.

"Duke Edward! Finally, I get to see the hero's children." I heard Jarl Amund emphasize the word hero as if to imply something. Or was it just my own thoughts? 

Jarl Amund looked at us with his brown irises and a faint smile was seen on his lips. His reddish-brown hair was tied into a bun but there were still wisps of wavy strands not kept. Upon seeing him this close, Jarl Amund, I guessed, was around his thirties. Half of his face was covered by his messy beard but I saw that his appearance was stiff and rough although pale.

Nevertheless, it didn't hide his broad shoulders and wide girth. I could sense that he has a robust and raw strength, just by being near him. Moreover, he was taller than my father!

He's a muscly man. Like a bear.

"It is our honor to have you here Jarl Amund." Mother fawned quite graciously. The difference in treating this Norian man amongst the guests was too obvious. Was he that powerful? 

"Princess." Jarl Amund acknowledged mother then in an instant, set his eyes upon Ethan who was staring widely at him as if astonished to see the hairy face in front of him. I know what he's thinking. 

We're thinking the same thing, brother!

"If I may, can I hold him?" Jarl Amund asked mother, rather quite softly.

The Duchess was a bit taken aback by his words and sudden change in temper. She quickly glanced at the Duke but still gave her permission. Ethan who was still frozen in amazement was swiftly carried over.

Even I was surprised by the gentleness Jarl Amund was showing Ethan. Is he fond of kids?

Ethan Dunne Redgrave though was still more climactic than ever. Just as the crowd was still adjusting from the Jarl's mood swings, Ethan, my brother, did something so daring! He actually pulled the Jarl's beard!

Jarl Amund was not prepared against the sudden attack so his whole head was actually pulled down all the way. And Ethan was still gripping the Jarl's beard. Everyone was so shocked that the Royal Rex Hall was filled with deadly silence.

I saw the Jarl's shoulders shaking up and down and thought he was holding up his anger. Ethan, you're doomed! Goodbye, my brother.

Who would have thought that this Jarl Amund also had a dramatic flair inside of him? He abruptly laughed out loud without a care of the looks the others were giving him. He's roaring like a bear!

His laugh reverberated throughout the hall. Ethan was gaping at him and was struggling to get free but he still did not let go of the Jarl's beard.

"Come, Jarl Runar. We have to present our gift!" Jarl Amund motioned to his companion. With a flick of a second, a whistle was heard. The whistle was long and light as Jarl Runar faced the entrance of the hall.

There was noise coming from the entrance and it seemed that all eyes were focused on that spot. A black and white thing suddenly rushed past the crowd and stopped in front of Jarl Runar. It was a ... dog?

The dog sat in front of us, its blue eyes frosty and its tongue out since it was panting for quick breaths. Its fur was a two-layered coat; a white with greyish markings covering it, especially around the eyes, ears, and tail. The dog was medium in size and looked rather obedient.

Ethan was so excited that he shouted and pulled the Jarl's beard a few times as if signaling to let him get closer to the animal. Jarl Amund obliged and even squatted down beside the dog. I saw the crowd gasp in surprise, and some let out confused murmurs. The quick-witted nobles also knelt down, not allowing their heads to be higher than Jarl Amund.

Jarl Amund carefully let Ethan stand in front of the dog. My dear brother had already forgotten the Jarl's beard and looked at the dog with adoration in his eyes.

"This is a Jämthund. Take care of it well and it should be loyal to you. Jarl Junar is a master at training hunting dogs and especially raised this one." 

A hunting dog?! Is it not dangerous?

Ethan's hand was slowly nearing the dog's face and somehow fear rose inside of me that I unconsciously let out a sound. Father seemed to have heard and misinterpreted it as me wanting to get closer so he too, squatted and let me stand beside Ethan. 

Me: ( ゚ー゚ )

Duke: (⌐■_■)

Dog:  ['ᴥ']

Ethan:  o(≧▽≦)o

Jarl Amund:  ʕ ● ᴥ ●ʔ

I stared at Ethan's hand touching the dog's ear and I could not help but look at the dog's expression. The dog did not appear to be bothered by Ethan's squealing and fondling. 

Seems okay?

"This dog is a year old, just like you," Jarl Amund spoke while I tried to touch its fur. It's so soft.

The Jarl continued to talk albeit in a different language. I couldn't understand it and neither the crowd surrounding us. Until finally, Jarl Amund said, "This is Alva. She will be a good companion to both of you."

"Jarl Amund, we are very grateful for such a precious gift," Mother intercepted, looking flustered at the sudden events.

The Duke proceeded to carry me which Jarl Amund did the same with Ethan. My dear brother screamed with complaint wanting to pet Alva longer. Jarl Junar then presented a small and delicate ivory whistle to Ethan in which the latter received with great curiosity and joy.

"We welcome you to stay for the twin's baptism ceremony. It'll start in a while," the Duke invited the Norian men. Both Jarls grunted and nodded in reply.

Mother moved closer towards Jarl Amund and took Ethan away. The look at the Jarl's face was gentle as he said goodbye.

"Let us start the ceremony!"

 

A/N:

This is the chap for this week. I've already set up a glossary for this series so you can check that out cuz there's suddenly too many characters.

I also created a map of this world so you can visualize where each kingdom is situated but scribble hub doesn't have an upload image :(

*edit* I uploaded the image on Tapas so maybe check that out? *edit*

Also, still appreciate you guys reading, commenting and giving this a heart!

Don't forget to subscribe in Tapas! Currently, there are 6 subs and if I reach every 10th, I'll upload an extra chap as thanks!

Isekai! It's A Hard Life. (tapas.io)

Have a great day!

7