Chapter 12
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Seeing the setting sun, I started feeling fatigue creep up in me. Since coming to this world, I was always moving, trying to survive, but what's the point? Money, fame, pleasure? I've got none, and they wouldn't bring meaning even if I obtain them. The sea really looks charming and peaceful. I want to become one with it flowing calmly without worries.

"What do you think you're doing? Snap out of it!" Yasuko held me by my shirt before I could drop off the edge and pulled me back. The sea would have to wait for a bit longer, while I returned to the struggles of reality. "You can let me go, Yasuko." She stared at me for a bit and then sat me down. "Let's go."

I followed closely behind her. There were many things I had to figure out, like how do I improve my stats, why do I need a license, and do I have the qualifications required to become a Servant of the family? But my mind didn't want to think about any of those questions. "Where did the resolve go you showed when you attacked us? For what reason did you struggle to stay alive? Are you just going to throw away the life you fought so hard to protect until now?"

"What do you know? You are just another character in a messed up world living without meaning just for the sake of living. Don't you lecture me on resolve or reasons I never had any to begin with. I just, I just… Forget it. You wouldn't understand."

"If you are so tired of living, why don't I help you out?" Yasuko drew her sword. "Go ahead." I stared at the sword. Everything seemed to happen in slow motion. An arc simply beautiful, silently cutting through everything in its path. I closed my eyes. Tranquility at last. "Why did you dodge?"

"Huh? Why did I dodge?" I looked to my right, the sword cut cleanly into the ground where I was standing before. "I have misjudged you. When I first met you, I thought you were strong, but I was wrong. You're too afraid to face death and too weak to face life with everything you got. However, this weakness kept you alive, and it can become your strength. I will give you two options: get lost and drown yourself in your emotions. Or follow me, and I will give you a reason to live. So what will it be?

"…"

"You really are funny, talking big like that. I hope you have the means to back up big words like giving reasons. Fine, I'll follow you, but if you're messing with me, you'll have a hefty price to pay."

"Glad that you've got your tough guy persona back. Let's go. It's getting dark already. I don't wanna make my lady wait." I silently followed. My mind was a mess. Which one is the real me? The one that's calm and rational or the one that's unpredictable and emotional? Many know that knowledge is power, but few mention that this knowledge comes with a prize. The more you know, the more likely the chance you won't be able to handle that knowledge.

What is the meaning of life? A question no one can answer, and why is that? Life is meaningless. Every reason someone came up with is a distraction from that fact. But then why do animals struggle to live under the harshest circumstances? Because they don't think about the meaning of life.

Knowledge is definitively power but a dangerous one. Once you have looked into pandora's box, there is no going back. But why do humans still struggle when there is no meaning? Why can't they, why can't I escape? I don't know. Am I scared, am I weak, am I a coward? I am. Eternal nothingness scares the hell out of me.

The human mind is an ingenious failure. Powerful enough to conquer planets but parasitic in nature. Not only killing others of the same species at will, but also killing thyself.

"We're back. Listen to me, Ken. Since you're too weak to live for yourself, you will live for someone else instead. You're going to live for Fuyumi-sama. She is the opposite of you, you are strong yet weak, but she is weak, yet strong. Fuyumi reached out to me when I was on the ground. She is fragile, but her will is unwavering. Fuyumi will finally bring change to this corrupt kingdom."

"This is your great reason to live? Living for someone else? Supporting them because she will change the future for the better? Do you really think I care about good and evil? Are you ready to pay the price for deceiving me?"

"Bring it on, but if you lose, you will devote a year of your life to Fuyumi, and I will show you that living for someone else can be your salvation." She threw a dagger at me. "Will this be enough for you?" I caught it in my left hand.

"You're going to regret biting off more than you can chew." Life-force pulsing through my body, turning into mana. Running wild, a barrage of ice cycles, unending. Yasuko spun her sword at light speed, cutting through every single one.

Still firing tireless, I reached one hand to the ground. Fell the earth, control the flow. Now digging a hole under one foot and creating a hill under the other simultaneously 3, 2 1 go! She lost her balance but managed to roll over to the left, however, with the cost of being unprotected. 3 Icicles connected 2 in her right arm 1 in her foot. Then I shot a fireball. She blocked it, but instead of smoke, a bright light emitted. Not quite as good as a modern flashbang, but in the darkness still quite effective.

Blinded, she randomly swung her sword, and I charged. Blades clashing, I got pushed back. Her senses were unreal. Even while blinded, she overpowered me in melee combat. Stats really were an unfair thing. Blades kept clashing, my hand started feeling numb, and my guard loosened.

Her vision had returned to normal, and In the next exchange, my dagger got flung out of my hand.

I ducked the next strike, and ice-enhanced fists connected with her abdomen, slowly freezing it. One, two, three, four, then five... Yasuko coughed heavily, supporting her frozen body with her sword. I started shooting another barrage of icicles. A bright light embraced her entire body, and all wounds started healing. Instantly, she dashed towards my icicles, taking them head-on. Being pierced left and right and healing right away.

I quickly used an air spell to dash backward, moving slightly left to avoid a tree. Yasuko caught up to me, kicking me into the tree, stabbing her sword into it right beside my head. "What an overpowered ability. It feels like you cheated me."

"You remember your promise. For a year, you're going to be serving Fuyumi with everything you got." She stared into my eyes. I wonder where her confidence that I would keep such a promise was coming from. "You should have killed me right there. What if I back-stab your beloved Fuyumi and destroy everything you're seeking to protect?"

"You are many things. A coward, a fool, but you wouldn't kill needlessly or break a promise. I'm tired from all the fighting. Support me back to the mansion." She leaned on the tree beside me. This carelessness, this trust, would get her killed one day. But today wouldn't be that day. I sighed and grabbed her right arm, placing it over my shoulder. "Don't trust me. There is no telling when this carelessness of yours will get you and, more importantly, those around you hurt."

"Less talking and more moving. We've got a mansion to reach." I retorted. "How about you crawl your way back to the mansion on your own if you want to go there so badly? You're really heavy."

"I would if you wouldn't have been so rough with me. But in my current state, I can barely walk." What an odd time to crack a joke like that. A good sense of humor can keep you sane on the battlefield, so I shouldn't be surprised. "I really don't get you. Why do you act like that? Where do you take your blind trust? Shouldn't a veteran like you know better than to trust someone they barely know?"

"Because I am a veteran, I am confident in my ability to judge someone's character. You can live your life always distrusting people, but that way, you will only alienate yourself and miss opportunities. Sometimes you have to let your guard down. I have absolute faith in my intuition."

"It really doesn't feel good being lectured by someone as careless as you." Still, was she wrong? I'm not sure. Humans are often vile creatures that prey on others for no good reason. Looking down on others, stepping all over them, and hurting them to make oneself better is a common occurrence even at an early age. Her mindset had to be wrong. People that live by this way just haven't experienced betrayal, painful enough to etch itself deep into your memories.

"We have finally arrived, Ken. This will be your new home!"

0