The Fascination Of Fear
36 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I RUN C-SEC, NOT YOU!!!”

Garrus was unflinching as he stood in the Executor’s office, square between the two chairs in front of his desk that were typically reserved for visitors. And, in the face of the Executor’s wrath, the Lieutenant sternly reiterated. “As head of Major Crimes, I have the authority-”

“I fucking know what your authority is, Vakarian!” The Executor cut him off. “I’m the one who gave you that authority! That doesn’t mean you can just hijack the Crime Labs on a whim!”

The yelling continued while Detective Anaya was standing silently in the corner, trying desperately not to smile or laugh. She had witnessed several of these ‘tense’ meetings and they just got more and more comical to her. The battles Garrus had with the Executor, while certainly loud, had become more of a choreographed dance than an actual argument.

“And don’t get me started on what you did to Zsasz!” The Executor barked.

“What I did to Zsasz!” Garrus barked back.

“You have any idea how bad it is for C-Sec to drag people in with broken bones!? We’re a police force, not a pack of thugs!”

“I did what was necessary to bring him in alive without losing any of my people.” Garrus explained. “He didn’t make it easy. Plus, a few broken bones is the least he deserves for what he’s done to his victims. That’s victims, plural! Would you like to ask him about them? He keeps a tally. Including a child he killed a few months back just for potentially being a witness.”

“Damn it, Vakarian. We’re the police, not the Judge and Juries. Like it or not, no matter what they do, these criminals still have rights.”

“And what about the rights of that little girl!”

“Let me put it to you this way.” The Executor quieted down a bit. “Council regulations say we can only interrogate people who are lucid and now Zsasz is in the Hospital with mountains of medications pumping into him. Which means he’s off limits until the docs give us the green light. Which means your investigation is stalled.”

“Not true.” Garrus fired back. “The Salarians trying to sell the unknown substance worked for a Dr. Jonarian Crane. I have a meeting set up with him later today.”

“Well, you better display some tact for once in your life. Crane is pretty well connected with the Spectres and the STG. One or two phone calls and he can bury you with enough red tape to collapse a star into a bureaucratic black hole.”

“I’m just going to talk to him.” Garrus insisted diplomatically.

“Good.” The Executor said finishing up the meeting. “Now get out. I have a bunch of meetings to get through so I have time for that damned Wayne Fundraiser. Have to keep the politicians’ ego well stoked to maintain our own damn funding.”

Garrus shrugged. “You are pretty good at that sort of thing, sir.”

“I fucking know I’m good at it!” The Executor yelled. “Because it’s my fucking job to be the ass-kisser. It’s your job to get the fuck out of my office and solve some fucking cases.”

Garrus simply nodded and left along with Anaya who started cracking up the second the door closed behind them. “The two of you should just fuck already.”

“Shut up, detective.” Garrus replied. “Let’s go have a chat with Crane.”

---

“It is...very interesting, Mr Wayne.” Barla Von said to the trillionaire sitting on the opposite side of his desk. Like all Volus he had to speak through the microphone of his exosuit, breathing as he did. “Sadly...the people responsible for the Omega incidents...have not required the Broker’s services. And despite my best efforts...we have not found someone willing to trade that information to us.”

Bruce remained stoic. “So you don’t know anything.”

“I didn’t say that….and franky, I’m insulted by that accusation.” Barla Von’s sarcasm was just barely able to project itself through the suit. “As I’m sure you’ve heard...there was a shootout last night in the wards. Apparently...Fist was attempting to get his hands on some mysterious new drug.”

“You think it’s connected to Omega?”

“Some of the substance was...recovered. The physical description matches...they’re still running tests. One of the Salarians selling it...is still unaccounted for.”

A light sigh managed to escape Bruce’s mouth. He knew the compound was coming to the CItadel but he had hoped he would have more time. But then a thought jumped into his mind. “Wait, a Salarian was trying to sell it?”

Barla Von paused. “Was that not happening on Omega?”

“No.” Bruce answered. “Whoever was making it was using it, not selling it. What do you know about the Salarian?”

“More than C-Sec...he is likely an Employee of Kersya Bioengineering...I’ll forward you the Broker’s Dossier on them...for the right price.”

Bruce pulled out a datapad and pressed a few commands. “I’m forwarding the Dossiers of some Cerberus agents I’ve identified while on Omega.”

The Computer on the desk beeped to indicate the data transfer was complete. Barla Von checked the info. The Pro-Human extremist Group was another organization the Broker was struggling to gain info on. “Yes...this seems sufficient. I will send you what we have...on Kersya. Anything else?”

Bruce stood up from his seat. “Just a reminder that I’ll double any offer you get for Batman's identity.”

“The Broker remembers but...let me remind you...that could take more than money and a few dossiers.”

“It won’t be a problem.” Bruce reassured him. “Thanks.”

Bruce then left Barla Von’s office and made his way back to the Wayne Estate. Bruce walked into the Beta-Cave and handed Alfred the datapad. “Upload this to the computer.”

“Right away, sir.” Alfred took the datapad and inserted it into the batcomputer. While the Upload began, Alfred looked at Bruce. “I was able to get information on the C-Sec Officer involved in the shootout last night. A turian named Garrus Vakarian, same one who escorted you from the docks.”

“Pull his dossier up first.” Bruce instructed.

“Second generation Citadel Security.” Alfred read aloud as the info scrolled up the screen. “His service record shows him to be a determined investigator, hence his steady promotions up to the rank of Captain. Interesting. He seems to be a bit of a trouble maker. Was demoted down to Lieutenant but kept his command of Major Crimes.”

“Seems like a political compromise.” Bruce noted as he also read the Dossier. “He’s willing to bend the rules to get the job done but lacks the nuance to avoid blowback when pushing things a little too far.”

“Sounds like he could use an ally.” Alfred concluded. “But I must ask, sir. Why not get this info from the Shadow Broker as well? Hacking into C-Sec seems like an unnecessary risk.”

“We can’t be too dependent on the Broker, Alfred.” Bruce explained. “But sometimes he’s the best person to turn to. Pull up the Dossier on Kersya.”

-----

Garrus and Anaya arrived at Kersya Bioengineering right as the Asari Detective finished up a call. “Lieutenant, the lab just sent us they’re initial report on the compound we recovered.”

“They have any idea what it is?” Garrus asked while the two of them got out of the car.

“They know it can affect multiple species like Red Sand, it probably isn’t a biotic amp, and that it is probably a ‘gene-mod’ of some sort.”

“Well that’s vague.” Garrus sighed.

“They need to run more tests.” Anaya said before the Doors of the lab opened and they were greeted by the Asari Receptionist.

“Greetings.” The woman said. “Welcome to Kersya.”

“I’m Lieutenant Garrus Vakarian of Major Crimes. This is my associate, Detective Anaya.”

“Yes.” The receptionist smiled. “Dr. Crane is expecting you. You may go up.”

Garrus and Anaya went up the elevator to Dr. Crane’s office, conspicuously the only level the elevator they were in allowed them to go to. Taking note of this, Anaya turned to Garrus. “Rather secretive bunch, aren’t they?”

“Such is the world we’re stepping into, Detective.” Garrus reminded her. “I’m just hoping a Spectre doesn’t decide to crash the interview.””

The elevator reached its destination and, after going through another brief roundabout with Crane’s personal secretary, the two C-Sec officers entered his rather inviting office. There was a desk but there were also a couple couches in front of it, a table between them, and even a bar at the side of the room. It was the office of a man who worked so much he practically lived at the lab.

Jonarian Crane, a red skinned Salarian, stood up from the desk and walked around. “Good Day officers.”

“Hello Dr. Crane.” Garrus shook his hand. “Thank you for agreeing to speak to us. On behalf of Citadel Security, let me express my condolences for the loss of Del Sanna.”

“He was a great researcher.” Crane said solemnly. “I can not imagine what he was doing out there. Please sit.”

Garrus and Anaya took a seat on one of the couches while Crane sat on the one opposite. The lieutenant began. “Well, I hate to be the one to tell you this but Del Sanna was attempting to make a drug deal. And not as the buyer.”

“That is inconceivable to me.” Crane said with a disturbed but weirdly calm expression. “I can not understand what would compel him to take such an action. He was certainly well paid.”

“We haven’t been able to identify the substance, though we’re still running tests.” Garrus explained. “But we do know that it was Gene-Mod of some sort.”

“Let me stop you there, officer.” Crane stated. “We do not develop Gene-Mods here.”

“Is it possible Del Sanna was working on something here…off the books?” Anaya asked.

“Anything is possible.” Crane answered. “But I have numerous failsafes in place. Even if he worked beyond his station and not logging it in, the lab equipment would still register their use into our network and red flags would be raised. I will perform an audit of our logs to be safe, if I find anything relevant, I will pass it along to you.”

Garrus knew the answer to his next question but he still had to ask it. “I don’t suppose it’s possible for us to go over those logs ourselves, is it? For the sake of…avoiding bias.”

“I am sorry.” Crane answered. “But I can not allow that. Our research is classified under the charter of Special Tactics and Reconnaissance. So, unless you have an order from the council to compel me to give you access, you are just going to have to trust my judgment.”

The more Crane spoke the more peculiar he seemed to Garrus. Most salarians were quick talkers, some faster than others, but Crane’s speech was slow, distinct, and bizzare. He never used contractions, every word left his mouth a deliberate sense of purpose. Garrus couldn’t quite tell if the Salarian scientist was lying, extremely eccentric, or something else entirely.

“Dr. Crane.” Anaya said diplomatically. “We understand there are things that you can’t tell us but this is a murder investigation.”

“And the murderer, as I understand, is currently in custody.” Crane pointed out. “What more is there to investigate?”

“Del Sanna wasn’t working alone.” Garrus answered. “There was another Salarian with him who fled with the rest of the unknown substance. Both he and his contraband are still unaccounted for. Now, he was injured, so it’s possible that he died in the maintenance tunnels and he’s been lost to the keepers but…are there any other researchers you’re currently missing?”

Crane thought about it for a second. “Several members of my staff called off today, stricken with grief over the loss of Del Sanna. One, however, simply did not show up nor answered our calls to him. Very unlike him. Did not think anything of it at the time, given the situation. His name is Layden Keen. His information should be in your files, on account of the background checks.”

“Thank you, Dr. Crane.” Garrus said as the three of them stood up and shook hands. Garrus and Anaya were on their way out when Garrus took notice of a degree from the University of Terra Nova. “You studied at a human university?”

Crane turned and saw what Garrus was referring to. “Oh, no. That is an honorary degree. I spent several years teaching and researching at the University of Terra-Nova. As a thank you, they chose to honor my time there.”

“What were you teaching and researching about at Terra Nova?” Garrus asked.

“Fear.” Crane answered with a sense of professional pride. “I have dedicated most of my career to it, to studying and understanding it. I went to the humans specifically for that purpose.”

“Humans have a special insight into dealing with fear?”

“Humans have a cultural fascination with fear.” Crane explained. “While Krogan view fear as a tool to use against others, while Turians view it as something to ignore, while Asari and Salarians view it as something to overcome and learn from, Humans have embraced fear. They have built entire holidays around it, they have dedicated entire genres of fiction to it. Humans have a creativity to the concept of fear you simply don’t see in other species.”

Bruce sat in the beta-cave at the Wayne Estate while Alfred went over some of the big VIPs who were expected to attend the fundraiser Udina was organizing for the Wayne Foundation. Aflred went through the list of names until one caught Bruce’s attention.

“T’Soni?”

“Yes.” Alfred confirmed. “Matriarch Benezia T’Soni has informed Ambassador Udina that she and her daughter will be attending.”

Bruce knew the name T’Soni mostly through Benezia’s daughter. “Liara’s probably looking for funding for her next archeological dig. She’s very passionate about studying the Protheans.”

“And quite lovely.” Alfred teased. “Not that you have any interest in that.”

Bruce looked at Alfred. “She’s a little young for me, isn’t she?”

“She’s 106.” Alfred answered.

Bruce sighed. “Yes. But doesn’t that basically make her a teenager by Asari standards?”

“I can assure you that an Asari ‘teenager’ is far more mature than you deserve.” Alfred answered. “And I doubt most people would’ve put that much thought into it.”

“And here I thought you wanted me to find a nice, human girl.” Bruce said, referring to Alfred’s past issues with his romantic partners.

Alfred took offense to that. “Master Bruce, I have no problem with you dating non-humans…as long as they don’t have disreputable backgrounds.”

“I’ll keep that in mind.” Bruce laughed while a beep sounded from the Bat-Computer.

Alfred walked over to the computer and pressed a couple of buttons. “An urgent message from Omega, Master Bruce.”

“Put it through.”

Alfred typed a few more commands into the computer prompting a hologram to appear in the middle of the beta-cave. A hologram of a Salarian who immediately said. “Batman.”

Bruce turned to the hologram. “What is it, Mordin?”

Professor Mordin Solus was a brilliant Salarian Scientist who was once a member of the Special Tasks Group. Bruce had met him almost immediately when he first went to Omega under the guise of opening a free clinic there. As it happens, Mordin already had a clinic and was more than happy to accept the Sponsorship of the Wayne Foundation. Wasn’t the only arrangement the two men had either.

“There have been new developments.” Mordin explained in that frantic, mile a minute speech of his. “Know your busy, conducting investigation, did Barla Von know anything? Nevermind, not important. I may have a lead. Sent info to Beta-Computer. Alfred may be able to cross reference with Citadel records.”

Bruce had learned to be patient with Mordin’s ramblings, Once the professor had stopped for a breath he turned to Alfred. “What is it?”

Alfred typed onto the computer. “It’s a ship, the Wessarian. Departed Omega not long after us. Citadel Transit have it landing earlier today.”

Mordin cursed. “I was hoping it hadn’t arrived yet. No matter. You must find the quarian, she left on the ship, don’t have a name. Check manifest, there was a woman on board. Quarian, female.”

“You said that already.” Alfred pointed out.

“Nevermind, just type damn it.”

Alfred did just that while suppressing his annoyance. Bruce knew that Mordin could grate on his butler’s nerves, Alfred’s calm sense of duty often clashing with the professor’s manic trains of thought. But Bruce knew Alfred trusted his judgment and Mordin had more than proved his worth. It was Mordin who perfected the batsuit and designed most of Batman’s Gadgets.

And Mordin clearly viewed Alfred as a slow, old man. Though he probably viewed most people as slow. But he also trusted Bruce’s judgment and had grown to appreciate the obvious effect Alfred had on Bruce’s psyche. It was Alfred that kept Bruce’s worst impulses in check and made sure his quest as Batman stayed on the truth path.

“Here we go.” Alfred said as the info scrolled up the Bat-Computer. “A Quarian named Tali’Zorah was listed on the manifest…Master Bruce, this manifest was also flagged by C-Sec. Apparently, all of Ms. Zorah’s immigration fees were paid by a shell company linked to Fist.”

“Fist?” Mordin asked.

“Low level Crime Boss here on the citadel.” Bruce explained. “He was trying to get his hands on the compound.”

“Excellent.” Mordin exclaimed. “That’s the girl, then. We suspected Blood Pack involvement, after you left Blood Pack put out a contract on the quarian, with specific instruction to retrieve her omni-tool. Likely source of critical information, must be retrieved.”

WIthout another word, Bruce stood up from his chair and walked over to the batsuit case which opened up for him. The Hologram of Mordin walked over as well with Alfred behind him. “Made some improvements, enhanced shield batteries, sturdier cowl.”

“How about counteracting the compound?” Bruce asked.

“No such luck, still working on that.” Mordin answered. “But, if you are infected, I have designed the suit to monitor your biology. When the compound reaches maximum disbursement throughout your cells, the suit will insert its own toxin, terminating you immediately before the transformation begins. Your death in this situation would not be in vain as we will learn much from examining your remains in that state. Already sent autopsy instructions to Alred.”

Alfred gave a solemn nod. “That was a very pleasant read, Professor. But I think it would be more prudent for Master Bruce to avoid exposure and retrieve the Quarian’s Omni Tool.”

“Agreed.” Mordin said. “Best of luck to you, I must return to the clinic. Outbreak of Scale-itch in the Omega slums. Sexually transmitted diesease carried by Varren. Implications…unpleasant, but sadly not without precedent.”

Mordin turned away just as the hologram flickered and switched off. Alfred sighed. “He is always a pleasure to work with.”

“Monitor C-Sec’s communications.” Bruce instructed as he took off his business suit . “I doubt Tali-Zorah was aware that Fist paid her immigration fees before getting here. And I certainly doubt she’ll be okay with running from one gang of criminals into the arms of another.”

“You’re sure this information is accurate?” Garrus asked Harkin back at the Major Crimes.

“The payments were made by one of Fist’s companies.” Harkin answered. “One of the same companies you flagged. But I’m not sure what the arrival of a Quarian has to do with anything.”

“I don’t think Fist has suddenly decided to take up charity, Harkin.” Garrus turned to one of the other officers. “You, check today’s incident reports. Focus on incidents involving a Quarian near the docks.”

The Salarian officer quickly typed in Garrus’ criteria and scrolled through the data. Thankfully, the Citadel didn’t get a lot of Quarian visitors. “Here’s one. There was Public Disturbance and possible Assault involving a Quarian woman and two human men. The incident was reported by a couple of beat cops who attempted to intervene when the humans fled the scene and the Quarian fled without a statement.”

“You said possible Assault.”

“Yes, sir.” The Salarian confirmed. “The officers suspected that the Quarian may have been injured in the scuffle.”

“There’s only one place on the Citadel a Quarian would go for medical attention.” Garrus signaled to Anaya. “Detective, you’re with me. Harkin and Chellick, go sit on Chora’s Den. You stay her and try to get a hold Michele’s clinic.”

“Yes, sir.” The Salarian office acknowledged while everyone went off on their assignments. Though as quick as they were, they got the information a little too late.

While on route to the wards, Anaya kept in touch with HQ. It wasn’t good news she had to relay to Garrus. “Dr. Michele isn’t answering our calls.”

“Damn it.” Garrus grunted while he drove the car. He hit the communicator. “Harkin, put the call out for reinforcements. Be prepared to move on Chora’s Den.”

“With what Cause?” Harkin responded. “All we have is Fist paying the way for someone flying into the Citadel, not exactly a crime.”

“Just get the troops lined up.” Garrus demanded. “I’ll find the cause.”

Garrus switched the comm off while Anaya shook her. “You really think you can get whatever men Fist sent to break with time to snag him at Chora’s Den?”

“Let’s focus on making sure Dr. Michel is one piece. Worry about the rest later.”

Garrus flew to a level just above the clinic where he opened the passenger door to allow Anaya to leap out. She landed with the aid of her biotics and signaled to Garrus who spoke through their comm. “Go through the top. I’ll hold their attention.”

“I know the play, lieutenant. I’ll see you down there.”

Anaya waved her omni-tool across one of the floor panels. Once it registered her C-Sec authority, it opened to give her access to the inner infrastructure of the Citadel’s levels. She squeezed through the wires and piping towards the ceiling of Dr. Michele’s clinic. All the while, Garrus parked the car and entered the clinic through the front door.

He had been here many times, Dr. Michele ran the clinic specifically to care for the poorer citizens of the Citadel. She took in the kinds of people and species, like the quarians, others liked to look down on and gave them care regardless of legal status on the Citadel. Garrus had developed an appreciation for her work and personally guaranteed her protection from the kind of legal and criminal repercussions such charity could bring down. Needless to say, he was motivated to make sure she was ok.

He drew his pistol and entered the clinic, it didn’t take long for him to hear the sounds of Dr. Michel pleading. “Please, she was just a patient. She didn’t tell me anything, I swear.”

“Really wish I could believe you, Doc.” a voice said. “But why do I get the feeling you’re lying to me?”

Garrus crouched down behind the wall and moved to the corner right as the sound of a slap reached him. He peered across the corner to see a bruised and bloodied Dr. Michel was sitting in a chair while three of the armed men surrounded her. Garrus looked up to see the light-blue glow of Anaya’s biotic beginning to lift one of the ceiling panels as slowly and quietly as she could manage. It’d be easier with a distraction.

Garrus stood up and pointed his pistol at the thugs. “Drop your weapons!”

Two of the men pointed their guns at Garrus while the third man stood behind Dr. Michel with his gun pointed right at the woman’s head. “Careful, Vakarian. You wouldn’t want anything bad to happen to the poor doctor.”

“You mean any more than you’ve already done.” Garrus said fiercely with his pistol trained squarely on the third. “Make no mistake, lay another hand on her and I guarantee you will regret it.”

The thugs barked some more threats to Garrus during the tense standoff, confident in their advantage in numbers and the benefits of a hostage. As they did, Anaya dropped down from the ceiling. She used her biotics to slow her fall and set herself down silently. Anaya then took a quiet breath as she built up a charge into both of her fists and punched out with a dual biotic push at the two men flanking Dr. Michel.

WIth a rush of blue energy, the two men went flying across the room, past Garrus, and right into the wall behind him. The shock of the event caused the third man’s eyes to widen while he spun around to see what had just happened. As he did, the barrel of his gun shifted away from Dr. Michel’s head and his right leg slid out from behind the chair.

Garrus lowered his pistol and delivered a quick shot to the man’s leg. The thug screamed out in pain while his body tensed up and buckled. He grabbed the chair with his free hand, releasing Dr. Michel and inadvertently bringing his pistol into view of Detective Anaya. With a quick biotic pull, she ripped the pistol out of the third man’s hand. He screamed again while a couple of his fingers snapped along with his wrist.

Dr. Michel leapt from the chair to the ground while Garrus sprinted forward to deliver a hard forearm to the third man’s face. Sending him to the ground and putting a quick end to the skirmish. Detective Anaya drew her pistol and walked across the room to keep an eye on the two men she sent into the wall while Garrus holstered his weapon and checked on the hostage. “Dr. Michel, are you alright?”

“I’m fine.” The doctor assured him while she took his hand to be pulled up. “They work for Fist.”

“That’s a lie.” One of the thugs on the ground against the wall screamed.

“Shut up.” Anaya ordered while Garrus stayed focused on Dr. Michel.

“Where is the Quarian?” Garrus asked.

“Fist’s men took her.” Michel answered. “You must get her back, she still needs medical attention. She suffered a suit rupture at the docks and her antibiotics were dropped during the attack.”

“Did she say who it was who attacked her or why?”

“She was delirious when she got here.” Michel explained. “Two words she kept repeating were ‘blood pack.’”

The Blood Pack? Garrus knew their reputation but they mostly operated in the Terminus Systems, they had no presence on the Citadel that he was aware of. Plus, there was another obvious issue that Detective Anaya took the time to point out. “There aren’t any humans in Blood Pack.”

The detective was correct, the blood pack was made up of Krogan mercenaries and Vorcha grunts. But the men who attacked the Quarian were as human as the man who paid for her entry to the Citadel…and as human as the men who took her away. The answer, once again, was obvious to Garrus who looked down at the bloodied thug he knocked to the ground. “Fist is selling her to the Blood Pack, isn’t he?”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.” The bloodied third man grunted through the pain. “We were just stealing medical supplies to sell.”

That explanation wasn’t going to fly. Garrus pressed his boot to the man’s neck. “You’re going to have to try a little harder than that.”

“Piss off, Garrus!” The thug defiantly spat out, struggling under both the C-Sec officer’s boot and his nose which had been broken.

“Lieutenant.” Anaya said. “If Fist is selling to the Quarian, we probably have a lot less time than we thought.”

Garrus cursed under his breath. While he was confident he could get one of these men to break, the Detective was right. There wasn’t enough time. The two of them cuffed them and Garrus proceeded to tell Dr. Michel to call the local precinct and give them her statement.

After that, Garrus and Anaya left the clinic in their car and began speeding towards Chora’s Den. Garrus tapped his communicator to give Harkin a quick rundown of what happened at Michel’s clinic before asking. “You have everything ready?”

There was a noticeable delay in Harkin’s response. “Your order was overruled.”

“What!?”

“Vakarian!” The Executor’s voice came in over the comm. “What in Palaven are you doing?”

“I have evidence of Fist engaging in the trafficking of-” Garrus attempted to explain but the Executor was having none of it.

“You have evidence of him paying a ticket and the testimony of a traumatized human doctor who just happens to cater to illegals. That’s hardly grounds to storm one of the most popular clubs in the wards, guns blazing. You will stand down.”

The comm switched off. Anaya looked at Garrus. “What are we going to do?”

“I’ll figure it out when we get there.”

in Chora’s Den, the patrons were drinking at the bar and receiving dances from the human and asari strippers while all of Fist’s men stood watch over the scene. Fist’s men were mostly human though he always had a Krogan bouncer on duty for any non-human patrons who needed a lesson. Fist, himself, was back in his office.

“I did what you wanted.” Fist said into a comm. “You put a contract out on the Quarian and I delivered her to you. Once the trade off is complete-”

“You provided a service but do not presume to dictate terms to the Blood Pack.” A modulated voice responded. “Considering your attempt to buy the compound from the salarians, you should be happy that we were willing to pay you at all.”

“Obviously, I wasn’t aware that stuff was meant for you.” Fist said, lying through his teeth. “I can help you find the compound.”

“You have done enough, human.” The voice said. “Our business is concluded.”

The comm link switched off. Fist cursed. “Damn it.”

Fist had been trying to establish himself on the Citadel for years. His takeover of Chora’s Den was meant to be the start of him gaining ground in the station’s criminal hierarchy. But none of the big crime bosses living up in the high class wards up near the Presidium viewed him as anything more than a common, human grunt.

As bad as the anti-human sentiment was within the legal spheres of C-Sec and Council politics, it was much worse outside the law. Most of the Crime bosses on the Citadel were either Turian or Asari. Humans like Fist, however, had effectively taken the place of the lower level Batarian crime figures who left the Citadel when their government closed their embassy and seceded from Council Space.

Fist had gotten wind of the Blood Pack’s plan to make some sort of move on the Citadel and he had hoped to use that to his advantage, especially when those Salarians attempted to sell whatever it was the Blood Pack had commissioned them to make. Considering how smart Salarians were supposed to be, Fist couldn’t help but be amazed at how stupid those scientists were for trying to earn a little extra profit.

The plan was simple for Fist. Get his hands on that substance, have Zsasz kill those Salarians, and use Fist’s poseesion of the compound to strong arm the Blood Pack into an alliance. It made perfect sense to Fist. The Blood Pack was Krogan and Vorcha, two species that had similarly been dismissed and looked down upon by the Citadel.

An alliance would be beneficial to everyone, especially with Fist as its head. After all, Vorcha and Krogan weren’t actually as smart as Humans. It only made sense for Fist, a Human, to be the head of their new syndicate. It was simply what was best for the Blood Pack, though it seemed they needed a bit more coaxing.

Fist looked to one of his men. “Scour the keeper tunnels. Even if the Salarian is dead, there’s a chance that we can still recover the compound.”

“They’re both gone.” Fist’s man responded. “The salarian is dead and the keepers disposed of him and whatever he was carrying.”

“Just do it, damn it.” Fist ordered right before the lights suddenly went out in his office. And the pounding of the bass also stopped, followed by the sounds of unhappy and confused patrons. The power had gone out across the entire club. “What the hell?”

Out in the main area of the club, The Krogan bouncer urged everyone to remain calm while he signaled the rest of Chora’s Den’s security to keep an eye out. The bouncer knew this wasn’t a simple malfunction. He could smell it.

After a few moments of darkness, the lights came back on and became super bright before blowing out. Bright blue sparks rained down into the darkened room as the dancers screamed and they and the patrons began to scatter and panic while all of Fist’s security men were trying to maintain control. The Krogan, however, was motionless.

The bouncer just stood there among the sea of scattering people, staring daggers at the shadow that had appeared at the other end of the club. The shadow that was crouched on top of one of the tables, the shadow that must’ve come in through one of the maintenance panels during the power surge. A useful distraction. As the emergency lights flickered on, the shadow stood up it’s gaze clearly matching the bouncer’s. Its pointed ears and cape silhouetted.

The Krogan didn’t know what the shadow was but he certainly wasn’t going to take the time to ask. Instead, he reached behind his back and grabbed his shotgun. He never took his eyes off the shadow as he raised his weapon. The shape seemed to only barely move but that was enough to send something flying across the room, spinning as it did. It struck and pierced the bouncer’s shotgun before he could even aim it. He only caught a glimpse of the winged object before it lit up and exploded. Destroying his shotgun, blowing out his shields, and sending him to the ground.

The shadow then leapt from the table just as the security guards took notice of it. The shadow was quick, he had knocked out two guards before any of them could draw their weapons. Shots went off against the shadow’s shields as it continued to take them all down with skilled but brutal hand to hand combat.

The gunshots rang out into the ward while patrons fled the club in a panic. It all seemed to happen out of nowhere. One moment Harkin and Chellik were just standing by and then there was chaos. When Garrus and Anaya arrived on the scene, they naturally had questions.

“What’s happening?”

“I have no idea.” Harkin answered the lieutenant. “You want back up?”

Garrus knew there was no time. Besides, he now had just cause to move in. Why ruin that by giving the Executor or someone else a chance to screw it up. “Put in the call, but we’re going in now.”

Back in the club, the Krogan bouncer had recovered from the blast and gotten back to his feet while the shadow was finishing off the rest of Fist’s security guards. The Krogan drew a knife and, with the intense battle roar of a krogan, charged full strength. The shadow was able to dodge the knife and use the krogan’s momentum to toss him over and send him back to the ground.

The Krogan got back up quickly but the Shadow had already left the main area of the club and had, presumably, decided to go after Fist himself. The bouncer began to pursue the attacker when a beeping sound drew his attention downward. There was a device stuck to his armor that flashed and lit up like a rocket, sending the krogan flying across the room. He crashed into the wall with a thud just as Garrus and his officers entered the club.

The bouncer was attempting to get back up when Chellick pointed his gun. “Stay down.”

“Hey, we’re victims here.” The krogan grunted. “Fucking pyjack came in out of nowhere and attacked us.”

“Which way did he go?” Garrus demanded. The Krogan pointed to the back and Garrus instructed his team. “Harkin. Chellick. Secure the scene and wait for backup. Anya, you’re with me.”

Garrus led the way while the two of them went to the back to find more security knocked out but no Fist. They reached the office where there was clearly a struggle, but the human crime boss was nowhere to be found. Garrus Anya to check the health of the security guard while Garrus kept searching. He checked around a couple hallways until he found an open maintenance shaft leading up….

….The Batman was standing on the roof of Chora’s Den. He was standing at the edge of the structure with a massive drop off that led down to one of the airways of high speed cars zooming through the Citadel. He couldn’t see the bottom, he honestly had no idea how far Fist would fall if he dropped him.

“Please.” Fist begged as he dangled over the edge in Batman’s grip. “Don’t kill me.”

“What have you done with the Quarian!?” Batman demanded.

Fist stammered. “W-What? The Quarian is gone. I don’t know where she went.”

“You’re selling her to the Blood Pack.” Batman growled. “Tell me where the handoff is taking place.”

“Freeze.” Garrus screamed as he came up from behind, his assault rifle ready to fire. “Put him down.

Batman turned to his head slightly to look back at the Turian officer. He didn’t respond, instead he turned his eyes back to Fist. “Tell me where you sent the Quarian!”

“Shoot him!” The desperate criminal screamed.

Garrus looked at the figure holding Fist over the side of the building. The dark, glistening armor with a symbol branded across the chestplate with a black cape. Garrus had an idea on who this was, he had heard stories about what’s been happening on Omega. The Blood Pack were based on Omega. And now this vigilante was here asking about the same Quarian Garrus was looking for.

“Damn it, Vakarian.” Fist screamed again. “Just shoot him.”

“And cause him to drop you.” Garrus pointed out. “What happens to you then?”

Fist looked down the seemingly bottomless drop with flying cars buzzing at incredible speeds. Batman smirked. “Let’s find out.”

Batman released his grip on Fist’s collar, causing him to drop while Garrus yelled. “No.”

Fist screamed in terror as Batman just managed to catch his right arm. The dark knight, now kneeling down as he held the dangling Fist demanded once again. “Where is the Quarian!?”

“Garrus!” Fist cried.

“Hey man, don’t do this.” The C-Sec officer said to Batman in a comically indifferent tone of voice. “Don’t make me shoot you. Don’t throw your life away.”

“Are you fucking kidding!?!?!?!?” Fist screamed.

Garrus just shrugged. “I’m trying but he doesn’t seem like the reasonable sort, might want to just tell him what he wants to know.”

With a final, pitiful groan, Fist finally relented. “Alright. Alright. Down at the far end of Shalta Ward. Near the Medical Storage houses. I don’t know where exactly, they were going to signal my men when they got down there.”

Batman lifted Fist up and tossed over at Garrus’ feet. “Watch for my signal.”

“What signal?” Garrus asked as he cuffed Fist. There was no answer, so he looked up and Batman was gone…

…The Dark Knight was dropping straight down the chasm of the flying cars where he fell right in the seat of the batmobile. A black, armored vehicle that had flown up just in time to catch him. The hatch slid forward and closed up as the redlit controls illuminated the cockpit. Batman plugged a device into the computer. “Alfred, I’m heading into Shalta Ward. I don’t have an exact location but I’m plugging in a communicator I took of Fist. Search for radio signals under the same frequency. See if you can trace his men’s communications in that area.”

The batmobile flew through the heavy traffic of the wards. It was shielded against radar, so he didn’t have to worry about C-Sec tracking him. Alfred’s voice came in. “Sir, the computer has broken the encryption but it’s a short range signal.”

“Not surprising. Probably a countermeasure against C-Sec’s radio monitors.”

“The batmobile’s computer should still be able to pinpoint it once you’re in the vicinity.”

Batman continued his flight until the computer picked up on the signal…

…Down in the Shalta Wards, Fist’s men had been given the signal. The two humans moved through the alley with a delirious Tali'Zorah in their arms. They didn’t have to wait long for a couple of Vorcha to show up. Fist’s men felt their stomach churn at the sight of the monstrous vermin the Krogan Blood Pack liked to employ. “We’ve got the bitch you wanted, so take her and go.”

One of the Vorcha screeched out. “Do you have omni-tool?”

“Right here.” The human answered, holding it up.

“Hand it over.”

One of the Humans tossed the omni-tool over while the other began to guide Tali over. The quarian, while still battling the effects of open air exposure, managed to become lucid enough to attempt to resist against her captors. She delivered a hard elbow to the Human holding her to break free but wasn’t able to get more than two steps before collapsing to the ground.

One of the Vorcha drew a pistol and pointed it down at her. “We got the omni-tool back. We don’t need you.”

The Vorcha began to squeeze the trigger when a batarang came crashing into the gun. The next thing anyone in the alley knew, the Batman was bearing down on them. It was over before Tali was even aware of what was happening, she just looked up in her haze to the Dark Knight standing there.

He took out an injector from his utility belt and inserted a vial into it. “This is a broad antibiotic tailored to Quarians. It should help.”

Batman injected Tali with the medicine. She nodded. “Thanks…I, I have heard about you. I would’ve gone to you on Omega, if I knew how to find you.”

“Where is the Omni-tool?”

“The Vorcha there has it.” Tali pointed. “I heard a rumor about the Blood Pack, thought I could get…”

“What rumor?” Batman asked as he picked up the omni-tool. He turned and saw Tali had passed out. He did a quick check of her vitals and placed a transponder beacon next to her. She would be alright, C-Sec will detect the signal and Garrus would be here to recover her long before the Blood Pack starts looking for their missing Vorcha.

For now, he had to get back to the Beta-Cave. He had to find out what was on Tali’s omni-tool.

Dr. Jonarian Crane was sitting alone in a plain, square room. There were no windows or cameras, nothing but a rectangular table with two chairs at both ends and a small bag resting at Crane’s feet. The room resembled a police interrogation which, in many ways, was the point.

Crane sat silently in the room, almost motionless until the door finally opened. He turned to see one of his researchers, Gedaw Olorn, being led in by Crane’s security. “Good day to you, Dr. Olorn.”

Security didn’t enter the room along with Gedaw, instead they just closed the door behind him. Leaving him alone with Crane who gestured to the other chair. “Please have a seat.”

The visibly nervous researcher did what he was told. “Sir, I don’t really know what this-”

“Well, allow me to explain.” Crane answered before Gedaw could finish the question. “Del Sanna was killed while trying to sell an illegal substance that he developed here in the lab with Layden Keen. In order to try to avoid suspicion, they simply worked on the substance immediately after performing their regular duties on the equipment in question. As far the automated logs are concerned, they simply ran long on their expected times. An hour and a half longer to be exact. I guess they figured I would not care about less than optimum efficiency when the performance reviews came around.”

“I’m not sure what this has to do with me.”

“C-Sec informed me that the substance was a gene-mod.” Crane explained in his slow, eerily calm manner. “It is impossible for me to say what kind of Gene-Mod without performing my own tests on it but I do know that the devices Sanna and Keen used are not enough to account for the full development of such a substance. Having taken note of the pattern of taking an extra hour and a half on legitimate tasks, I scoured the logs until I came up with you.”

The researcher was practically shaking at this point. “No.”

“Yes.” Crane insisted. “The con was not as clever or elegant as the three of you thought it was. I also understand that the three of you spent some time at Flux. Lose some bad hands of Skillian 5, did you? Very disappointing, to succumb to such basic vices and act on such cliche motivations. I expected more from the three of you.”

Gedaw said nothing. He just sat there and trembled under the cold stare of Dr. Crane who finally came to the questions.

“What is the compound?”

“I don’t know.” Gedaw answered frantically. “Keane never told us, if he even knew himself. And it was his stupid idea to try to sell it.”

Crane was taken back by that. “What do you mean? Was selling it not the original plan?”

Gedaw paused, realizing that he had given up more than he should have. “I, uh, of course. Sorry, I.”

He trailed off as Crane began to understand. “You were commissioned to develop the Gene-Mod for someone. Tried to double dip by selling it off with the hopes of replenishing the stock before your benefactor came to collect. Who is it?”

“I don’t know.”

“I am afraid I can not accept that answer.” Crane said coldly.

“I don’t know. This was Keane’s deal, I was just helping. I don’t know anything, please….please.”

Crane stared at his researcher. “Have I ever shown you my helmet?”

“No.” Gedaw staggered out of his chair, knocking it to the ground. “No!”

Crane reached into his bag and pulled out an orange Salarian battle helmet with big black eyes and mouth. “It was a gift from my students on Terra-Nova. The design is that of a Jack-O-Lantern which, from what I understand, is a carved pumpkin.”

Gedaw banged on the door and screamed. “Let me out! LET ME OUT!!!!”

“Though my students did not call it a Jack-O-Lantern.” Crane explained, completely ignoring the panic of his researcher. “They called it ‘The Scarecrow.’ A joke about my stoic nature, I am sure.”

“Please!” Gedaw screamed as he kept pounding on the door. “Let me out!”

Crane put on the helmet that formed a seal on his neck and pressed his omni tool to trigger a rush of white gas to come bursting down from the ceiling above.

“NO!” Gedaw cried out while the gas overtook him and entered his lungs. The effect was immediate, his heart began to pound while the room flashed around him. He turned and saw the Scarecrow. His pumpkin head now seemed fused to his skin, an ooze dripped from his mouth while he spoke.

“You’re afraid, aren’t you?” The Scarecrow asked, his speech suddenly quicker and sharper. His voice pierced Gedaw’s ears like a high-pitched knife. It seemed to shatter into a thousand pieces and echo inside his skull like shards of glass. Only four words had caused the researcher unspeakable agony and The Scarecrow had a lot more than four to say. “You think I’m less worthy of fear than your employer.”

The fear and the pain was overwhelming, Gedaw fell to the ground while The Scarecrow lorded over him. Staring at him with those soulless eyes that seemed more like black holes. They sucked in all the warmth from Gedaw, all of the light. They seemed to overtake him, consume him. And then there was darkness.

Gedaw suddenly had this sense that he was falling. Falling straight into the chasm of darkness which were the cold, black eyes of the Scarecrow who screeched. “You may not know his name but you know something. You will tell me something!”

Gedaw then hit the bottom. It felt hard at first but immediately began to turn to goo. Half dead hands reached out and began to pull him in. “YOU WILL TELL ME SOMETHING!!!!!!!”

Gedaw struggled through the pain and terror crippling his mind, searching for something, anything he could to make this nightmare end. Soon a word came to his mind, a word that he heard Keen use when he walked in one of Keen’s calls.

“Warlord!” The researcher screamed as another word came to mind. He didn’t think of it. In fact he was trying to ignore Keen’s words at the time but now it was ringing loud and clear in his head. ”Bane! Warlord Bane!”

Crane took off his helmet and looked down at Gedaw who was now balled up in a fetal position on the ground, practically catatonic as he quietly repeated. “Warlord Bane. Warlord Bane. Warlord Bane.”

0