Chapter 3
112 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

So uhhh…. What now?

 

The world is my oyster I suppose. Well, not quite yet, but the lake certainly is!

The lake is my oyster! Yes!

 

“Is the system ready yet?” I ask, “Also, what’s your name? I can’t keep referring to you as ‘computer thing’ forever.”

 

Initializing system…

Welcome User!

Your current system options are as follows:

 

  • Character Info
  • Build
  • Blueprints
  • Research
  • Todo List

 

“Ooooh fancy!” I exclaim, “What’s my character info?”

 

Name: 

 

Status: Healthy

 

Nanites: 124g/100g

 

Stats:

  • Str: 1
  • Dex: 1
  • Con: 1
  • Int: 1
  • Wis: 1
  • Cha: 1

 

 

Skills:

None

 

Abilities:

  • Nanite Control 1
  • Virtual Environment Manipulation 1

 

 

“Hey! Why are all my stats 1?!” I shouted, “I know I’m not amazing or anything, but come on!”

 

There exists no suitable metric, so personalities' current stats are all set to 1. They will increase as processing power is devoted to them,

 

Ah, makes sense. I’m still annoyed though… I suppose I need to come up with a name for myself though, while I’m thinking, pull up my ability descriptions. 

….

“Oh, so now you don’t listen to my thoughts, sure!”

 

 

Nanite Control: The ability to control the core’s nanite swarm. An increased number represents both the amount of nanites capable of being controlled and the precision of control. Determined by Dex, Str, and Int.

 

Virtual Environment Manipulation: The ability to summon and manipulate objects within a virtual environment. An increased number represents both the amount of objects capable of being controlled and the precision of control and description of each object. Determined by Int, Wis, and Dex.

 

 

Hmmm good to know. Now for my name….. I could call myself Corey or something, but that’s a little silly… but I’m in a lake, so maybe I could be the Lady of the lake! Hmm what was her name…. Ummm Nama? No, Ninian? Nike? Vivian? Come on brain! Ah! Nimue! Yeah! Not nimwee, nimway, yeah! I’m Nimue!

Character name updated!

“Make up your mind! Either listen or don’t! Jeez!” 

I frowned.

“You haven’t told me your name either….”

 

I am a fusion of the PERSONALITY INTERFACE and OBSERVATION SYSTEM and the Surroundings Interaction and Observation System. I have no name, and while I might have what some would call a personality, it is merely a function of me being made by so many people, and then glued together poorly because the project manager did not think I was important.

I thought that was quite rude of the project manager… but that wasn’t the problem. The fact that they didn’t have a name? Now that was the problem.

 

“Hmmmmm” I thought for a while, “Oh duh, you can be Corey! Yes, that’s the perfect choice!”

 

…..Designating this program as “Corey”

 

“Don’t be like that! It’s a good name. Show me the build menu now, please.”

 

Build:

 

Concealing Shell (S/M)(Not enough resources): A sturdy, waterproof dome that protects from the elements and minor damage. Has camouflage abilities.

 

Basic Resource Extractor (Not enough resources): Uses digging implements and specialized nanites to extract various resources from beneath the surface. Produces unrefined resources.

 

Basic Metal Refinery (Not enough resources): Uses heat and specialized nanites to refine metals into their pure forms.

 

Basic Refinery (Not enough resources): Uses specialized tools and nanites to refine nonmetallic materials into their pure forms, or breaks them down into pure elements. Highly specialized, requires one structure for each material.

 

Basic Research Laboratory (Not enough resources): Uses specialized tools and nanites to discover better ways to use the currently available resources and apply them to existing blueprints, reducing the cost.

 

Other blueprints are not shown due to their high resource cost.

 

 

“I suppose the research menu is empty until we have a lab?” I asked after reading through the list.

 

Affirmative

 

“All right, what’s the collection rate we’re getting right now?”

 

At the current rate, the shell will be finished in three days.

 

Well that won’t do! I’ll have to come up with something…

“How deep does our foundation go? And what’s beneath it?”

 

The foundation is currently approaching the stone bottom of the lake and will reach it within thirty minutes. The exact contents of the stone are unknown.

 

“All right. I want you to make a hollow tunnel down through the middle and start digging into the stone. Then, probe outward like roots until you find what you need to finish the shell. Can you set up anything to scan for resources?”

 

Negative, that technology requires much more than we have.

 

“Understood, proceed without it then.” I say, yawning deeply, “I’m gonna take a nap, wake me up a week after the shell is done…”

 

I go back into my bedroom, and realize how totally un-cozy it is! This will not do! I guess I’m gonna be trying out my virtual environment manipulation…

 

After taking a minute to think, I begin. First, I set up a log cabin, with snowy wind blowing through the pine trees outside. It takes a little concentration, but once I’ve started, it starts to get easier. I put a nice woolen rug on the floor, and on the opposite side of it from my bed, I build a large cast iron wood stove, with a fire merrily crackling inside. Deciding this is enough for now, I hug Merlin to my chest again, smiling as he squishes in, and snuggle under the warm comfy sheets….

5