Arc 7: The Northern Sea (14)
86 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was said the explosion was deadlier underwater. That statement appeared to also be true for the political kind.

“The is outrageous!” One Mermaid, who leaned more toward over to Water-buffalo than a woman, glowered.

“Nope, this is completely on the menu,” Su Yulong chose that moment to make herself known. “As Yulong’s representative, I am there when your new Supreme Commander made this decision.”

Neither Elric Roderic nor Aroma knew what was happening. As seasoned political veterans, they immediately fleshed out the statistical disadvantage and advantage.

Using force to knock Sharley out was immediately a no-go option. The new threat named Apolline had spent the last few horrific minutes to show them the sheer absurd gulf in firepower. They didn’t know what card the Princess had, but they still had the Clam Palace’s court. If the worst-case scenario arrived, they could still force Sharley to submit with the collective group of stakeholders — the so-called Alliance to Restore the Clam Palace — and their connection to the Luminary Academy.

Sharley may have the physical sword down their throat but, with this bout of tyranny, their societal blade had punctured her heart. Elric and Aroma could come out stronger if they played their card right.

“Princess Sharley,” Aroma said, sneering internally. “We cannot accept rhis appointment. This abuse of power is ridiculous, Princess. It is doubtful whether you should keep your title. You, of all people, don’t have any ground to appoint a Supreme Commander, much less remove me from my position without just cause.”

“Abuse of power? The same goes for the creation of your so-called Alliance that still produces nothing of value except for fattening your allies’ pocket,” Sharley replied with biting ferocity. “If I am a tyrant, all of you would have been removed a long time ago.”

“Stop it, Sharley,” Elric Roderic cut in, leading the tempo of the entire court. “This entire affair is disgraceful.”

“Disgraceful,” Sharley said, remembering Ciel’s brief teaching. “I believe the true disgrace is failing to fulfil one promise. Speaking of guilty, aren’t you the guilty one, Aroma? Ever since my mother's death, I have followed your words in military affair and nothing has improved.”

“You are being impossible, Sharley,” Elric said. “We are doing our best to hold the line.”

“Indeed,” Aroma calmly added with a saint-worthy smile. “Impatience is a sign of immaturity, Princess.”

“Are you telling me your best is only this much?” Sharley tried to hide her excitement. Elric slipped one of the few keys she needed. According to Ciel, she still needed more to win, but this was still a major improvement. “Very well, what have you been doing all of this time to justify your authority?”

For Sharley, it was the question that determined the direction of this political battle.

“It’s obvious to you who is so removed from our day-to-day operation not to know this,” Aroma said, puffing her importance at the opening Sharley provided. “The Alliance is guarding the Clam Palace’s water against the pirate and ensuring the smooth supplies line for our war effort. Mr. Elric is doing his best to ensure our logistic doesn’t collapse.”

Sensing the opportunity to gain point, another high-ranking Mermaid joined in.

“Princess, the Alliance fleet led by Mr. Roderic and the Sky-hunting Snake is a vital part in guarding our safety. It is an injustice that you refused to give him official position, given all he had done.”

Sharley tried her best to clamp down on that victory pose.

“Are you telling to reward someone base on result and mistake?” Sharley said. She hoped the idiots in front of her will nail that point down.

“Yes,” the Water-buffalo said as the entire court nodded in agreement.

“Do you agree with that statement, Chancellor?” Sharley asked Aroma, who drifted by the side of an empty throne.

Aroma, sensing Sharley was up to something, hesitated, but she couldn’t argue against such a simple logic. In the end, she followed the flow.

“That statement is fair,” Aroma said, then she unleashed her gripe. “Which is why I don’t understand why you raise these ruckuses and give out such a ridiculous decree. You are ignoring our hard-work.”

Sharley, knowing she had everything she needed, unleashed the counter-blow Ciel taught her.

“Treason or gross incompetency,” Sharley stated. “Between the two, I will let you pick which you fall under for the murder of Joseph Initium.”

If words could punch people, Aroma and Elric would be eating the tarmac.

Shit! Aroma screamed internally. So this is her game!

Elric’s face scrunched. He was smart enough to know he fucked up. By trying to drive Sharley to the psychological corner, he made her a perfect weapon to wield.

Uncle Joseph, Sharley thought as she witnessed her court’s confident veneered got blown apart. Do you see this? Your death is not in vain.

“My court,” Sharley straightened up to start her sweep. “Didn’t you say that the Alliance to Restore the Clam Palace led by Mr. Roderic is supposed to ensure our safety and logistic?”

“Y-yes,” a gaudy Mermaid who made that point stammered.

“Then how did my mother’s forefront allies — her benefactors and friends — perished under his watch,” Sharley said. “Was the Alliance's fleet napping when Uncle Joseph and his crew fought valiantly to the death, or are they perhaps embezzling our supplies instead of pursuing his murderers?”

Elric gritted his teeth.

The Alliance was meant to isolate the Princess and embargo any aid coming to Sharley. Yes, they put up the front against the Pirate Lord, but those were just posturing. There was no way those selfish interest groups would join Roderic’s plan if he put them in harm's way.

So far, they did a magnificent job putting pressure on Sharley and forcing her to capitulate. They even played parts in the elimination of Joseph. However, in doing so, they failed to produce the necessary resources to defend against Sharley’s angle.

The angle was called ‘accomplishment.’ The stigma of Joseph’s death only made thing worst in this story.

As their leader, Elric shouldered all the glory and the blame. By turning Joseph into a martyr, Sharley could now force him to act properly. He needed to give it to her. Joseph was a nobody, dismissed by both Aroma and Elric. It was why this trick worked. They had forgotten about their mistake and were caught with their pants down. Now, Elric needed to grit his teeth, confronted the Pirate, and avenged Joseph. Thankfully, this wasn’t the first time he planted evidences.

Without the doubt, killing Joseph to torment Sharley was the worst mistake he ever did in this campaign, but it wasn’t enough to sink his plan.

“You are right, Princess,” Elric admitted. “I am at fault for letting Sir Joseph’s murderer get away. Please allow me to correct this mistake.”

“It is good that you admit to your blunder,” Sharley said with mocking glee. “But do you perhaps forget our previous conversation? If a man is rewarded for his result, he should also be liable to be punished for it.”

Crap! Aroma’s mind was blown. Her panic was now written on her face. The Princess did not come here to curb Elric; she was here to end him.

“Princess,” Aroma said, desperation raising her voice an octave. “Mr. Roderic’s force and the Alliance still made up a chunk of our military.”

“And how does that make him an exemption?” Sharley answered with a counter question. “I heard your suggestion, Aroma.” Sharley chose this moment to put the hammer on Elric’s goal. “This is my decision. If Mr. Roderic wants the Clam Palace’s sponsorship, he should find the way to bring Uncle Joseph back to life first. The commander position is out of question because the President of Unity is infinitely more qualified than he will ever be.”

Roderic knew he was getting jack-hammered, but it wasn’t over. He still had the Clam Palace’s army and the Alliance in his pocket. Fully realizing that Sharley was here to exterminate him, Elric Roderic gathered the fact.

He had no chance of arresting her. The Clam Palace’s garrison already failed against Apolline. Sharley had the momentum on her side and the full ability to press the charge. Thankfully, Roderic still controlled the court and the tribunal. Sharley had critically damaged him, but he was still the most influential person in the room.

But Roderic wasn't stupid, he knew he didn’t know how many cards Sharley had. Moreover, he wasn’t only facing Sharley alone.

Thus, Roderic wove his words carefully.

“I humbly accept the fact I have failed, Princess Sharley,” Roderic said. “I am not worthy of the Supreme Commander’s position, but we cannot allow your this ‘Royal Tutor’—an unknown and untested stranger — to handle the current crisis.”

Sensing her opening, Aroma quickly added to that.

“Mr. Roderic is correct,” the (un)fair Chancellor said, regathering her wit at last. “If even he is incapable of holding the position of commander, then a stranger certainly couldn’t.”

The court then nodded in agreement.

“The Chancellor is right!” A Mermaid yelled. “Who is this guy?”

The Water-buffalo also jumped on the train, “I have never heard of this Unity Inc.” 

“Princess, please give us a reason you are giving the brute who attacked us, the position of Field Marshall?” A Mermaid noble eagerly added. “I never know about another candidate aside from Mr. Roderic.”

For all of that, Sharley smiled sweetly and beckoned with her hand.

“I am glad you asked,” Sharley said. “It is because the Royal Tutor presented me with a gift. Professor Holmes, it is time to introduce our prisoner.”

Out of the shadow of that wrecked door, Marjorie and Holmes marched in with a cuffed prisoner.

“May I introduce you to Espera the Chivalrous,” Sharley presented the court with the Pirate Lord being led in by the chains. “During the previous battle — witnessed by representatives of both Yulong Empire and Luminary Academy — the Unity Incorporate sank a fifth of the Pirates fleet and captured a Pirate Lord. After much negotiation, they agreed to hand her over to the Clam Palace and shared all the information they have obtained, given that we respected Unity’s previous agreement with Espera.”

Espera eyed the hostile and stunned with a pair of twitching eyes.

“This is so awkward,” Espera said. confused by the uncertain atmosphere.

To the stunned Court, Sharley hammered down the final nail.

“Information regarding the curse plaguing us, captures of an enemy's commander, and dealing a sizable blow to our enemy,” Sharley listed with each fingers. “Aren’t those accomplishments warranted anything less than a position of the Supreme Commander?” Sharley nodded toward the silent Apolline observing the room. “Lady Apolline is chosen as a Field Commander because she is the one who captured Espera herself.”

“Captured?” Espera yelled at the Mermaid Queen. “Are you downplaying the inhumanity? She nearly burned me to death!”

“Minor details!” Sharley couldn’t stop smiling from her raw momentum. She then proceeded to paint a thicker picture. “Ah, you truly don’t understand me, my dear court. I need to pull out all the stops to recruit him. Do you know how much I need to bargain to enlist the President’s help at such a cheap price? Normally, I would have to become his concubine to even have a chance.”

“That is out of line, Sharley,” Apolline cut in sternly, only to grudgingly shakea her head. “But you are not wrong.”

5