Arc 7: The Northern Sea (Epilogue)
159 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
How would you rate recent chapter
  • Great Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Okay Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Need improvement Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 6

“And that is how we managed to stop the crisis in the Northern Sea,” Su Yulong said. “The mermaids are still licking their wounds after recent turmoil, but the death toll is way lower than what was initially expected.”

That was how Su conveyed her story to Ming Yulong.

Inside a hastily constructed command center on the Eastern Continent, the trio of Ming, Shen, and Shuguang absorbed the story that briefly distracted them from the haunting quantity of paperwork generated in rebuilding the East.

“What a battle..." Ming said, chuckling dryly. "It is quite a shame we cannot send any help.”

“Don’t be,” Su said. "Any backup you can send would either be joining the victory celebration or getting eaten by an unstoppable monster horde, according to the Unity Lord." Su then tossed her half-brother a scroll. “That is a promissory note backing the transaction. The Clam Palace will help supply the reconstruction as a measure of goodwill toward our aid in this crisis.”

Instead of Ming, Shugguang caught the flying scroll midair and unfurled it. Acknowledging the affable content conveyed to her with a nod, she was abruptly overcome with a profound realization.

“You said the Blackwings were involved,” Shugguang said.

“Yes,” Su said. “I can testify that one of their members—a high-ranking one—attacked Nuan.”

The attitudes of Shen and Ming Yulong sharpened.

“Are you telling me that weird count dares to flaunt the Empire’s authority?" Shen voiced his disbelief. “Are they tired of living?”

“That isn’t the worst thing, Shen,” Ming said. His expression darkened as he procured a brush and began writing a missive.

Shugguang was incredulous about Ming’s dismissal.

“Brother, Nuan is a member of the Dragon Scion. A direct attack by an outsider is an act of war against all of us. What could possibly be worse than that?”

“Shugguang, this is not only about our dignity,” Ming said, finishing his missive and sealing the scroll with his crest. “This is about a group of eccentrics that have been operating in our nation for generations, nearly causing an apocalyptic scenario in the Clam Palace. Can you imagine what they have in store for our country after the mess they create in the Northern Sea?”

Shugguang’s mouth hung open in disbelief, and Shen wasn’t taking it any better.

“Are you telling me the Blackwing is going to war with us?” Shen asked. “They are going to get destroyed.”

“I doubt they will start this without preparation,” Ming grumbled, handing Shen the scroll. “Take this report to the Second Prince. We need to get to the bottom of this.”

Shen Yulong obliged, taking the scroll and preparing to leave the room until she recalled that she had forgotten about one more thing.

“Oh yeah, the Unity Lord said the death of the previous Mermaid Queen didn’t make any sense.”

“What is it this time?” Shugguang said.

Su proceeded to explain Ciel’s theory.

“The Mermaid Queen Sharlene died of a certain illness, but that hasn’t repeated at any point during this incident in the Northern Sea. Whatever method killed Marlene and the merman is not operated solely by Amibus=Neptunus.”

“You mean someone else has been pulling the string for three hundred years?” Ming said. “But why is it with this irregular timing?”

Su shrugged.

“I have no idea.”

Meanwhile, inside the cabin of a ship returning to the Luminary Academy, Elric Roderic was pouring a cup of alcohol for a visitor garbed in a black robe.

“I know you are the one behind the Pirate Lord,” Elric said. “Tell me, why should I accept your offer?”

The woman sitting opposite him grabbed the drink and absorbed the undisturbed surface of the liquid.

Time seemingly stood still despite the ticking of the grandfather clock placed in the corner. Shadows cast by the chandelier cast a swaying illusion that appeared to continue for eternity before the woman spoke.

“Because you are still responsible for Joseph Initium’s death. Sharley is now out for your head, and unless you want to graduate out of the academy in a casket, you need our help.”

Elric took a swig of a drink before rebutting.

“I can handle Sharley.”

The hooded woman looked at the young man with pity.

“Maybe, but can you deal with the new ‘Royal Tutor.’”

Elric refused to answer. Although he wasn’t present in that battle, it was hard to miss the massive island of a zombie that wreaked havoc in the sea. Ambitious as he is, Elric was under no illusion he wouldn’t survive that battle—the same battle Sharley’s newest teacher ended.

If the powers used to end that monster were to be aimed at him, Elric wouldn’t survive. Not even Luminary Academy possessed the girth of resources to survive unscathed against such a force of nature. The crisis facing him was too ridiculous to comprehend. Never in a million years would he have imagined a scheme to gain a foothold in the international market would put him under the microscope of a god holding an ax over his head. An ax that was doomed to fall unless he learned how to resurrect Sharley’s dead uncle.

But there was no rewinding time; Elric had irreversibly cast the stone. He couldn’t blame Sharley for running to a giant to get her revenge. He could regret all he wanted, but he still miscalculated badly.

“It is not like you can do anything to help,” Elric argued. “Your island monster failed.”

The woman smirked.

“Mr. Roderic, while it is a shame that Amibus=Neptunus fell short of our expectations, we still profit nicely from its release. Do you believe we are putting all our eggs in a single basket?”

Elric didn’t bite.

“What could be a better egg than that thing?”

“What about the power that killed the entire male population of the merfolk and the previous Mermaid Queen?” replied the mysterious woman.

Elric paused, stunned like a fish hook on line.

“Yes, you heard it right,” said the woman. “We have already retrieved the power that altered the cause of world history itself, and you can partake in it.” She produced a crimson orb and placed it on the table. “It is called the Cursed Moon. That orb is a tiny part of it, but I assure you, even with such a meager sample, it will satisfy all your needs.”

Interested, Elric spoke softly.

“Who are you, people?”

“My name is Quinto of the Blackwings,” said the woman. “We are the apostles of the Abyssal Mist.”

4