Chapter 32: The Maid, Luna
1.3k 5 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Loreana looked at him with a startled expression. But seeing his serious face, she realized he was not joking.

She thought for a moment before taking the cup.

Just as she took the first sip, her expression changed. She lowered the cup and looked at Anom in astonishment.

"This water… When?!" She was confused but she soon realized.

"It was when the lights were off." She sighed. "So what did you want to prove?"

The water she drank just now contained a fruity flavour. But according to her knowledge, none of the servants were instructed to serve it like that. Then the only person who could have done this was the one who had passed her the water cup.

Anom chuckled as he enjoyed seeing her distressed expression, but he was already thinking about measures to ensure Crystal's safety. He also thought of ways that could be used to harm her.

To be honest, Anom could think of many ways. But he sorted through all of them and considered the ones that could be used to affect the victim without alerting anyone nearby and which did not take effect immediately. And this was the way he found the likeliest. Although it was common, it suited well with the façade the traitor might put on.

"I wanted to let you experience what happens when you trust someone blindly. What if someone persuades Crystal the same way I persuaded you to drink water from that cup? If you warn her in advance and make her refuse any such offer, it will only alert the perpetrator. And believe me, you don’t want to provoke a person who has already stopped considering his family a priority."

He looked at Loreana's thoughtful expression and continued. "And what if someone uses something that can harm Crystal just with a touch? Like a poison that can enter the body just through touch. Do you have a solution for that?" He suddenly found his knowledge of this world lacking too much. At least he should learn about this city and its culture soon.

Loreana shook her head, "You don’t have to worry about that. The empire has banned the possession of any such substance."

"And what if the Handler family obtains it from somewhere?" Loreana understood what his words were hinting at.

She scoffed, "Not even their backers are foolish enough to anger the empire."

Anom grew interested in this empire she was talking about but he focused as Loreana.

"Other than a poison, there are other methods but none of those can be used silently. And the ones that can be used require a strength that can't be afforded by them." She sighed. "Because if they were that capable, my family might already be doomed."

"Then what about the method I used?"

"…I will do something about that. Don’t worry. I care for my daughter above everything else." Seeing that they didn’t have anything else to discuss on this topic, she asked, "What are we going to do… if we find something suspicious." Although she hoped for nothing like that to happen, she couldn’t ignore it now after accepting it as a possibility, however minor it might be.

"That's not up to me. It is up to you and your family to decide. Just inform me when you find something and we'll see if something can be done." Anom could only do this much.

They remained silent after that.

Suddenly, Loreana looked at him.

"So, what are the stakes?" she asked about the bet Anom had mentioned before.

Anom smiled. "I just want you to help me collect any and every type of information you can provide me with." He had already thought about what he really needed currently.

"Information about what?"

"This world!"

Loreana looked at him for a second before nodding. "Looks like Crystal was right about you being from a backward area." She looked thoughtful as she said. "My family is grateful to you for saving my daughter's life. I would have allowed you to enter the family library even if you asked directly." She said sincerely.

But Anom shook his head. "I just helped her on a whim and not for a reward. But if you are that grateful, then you can increase the level of access I can receive."

Loreana smiled. "Alright." Her smile widened as she asked, "It's my turn, right?"

Seeing Anom nod, she continued. "If I win, which I'm sure of. You will have to remain in my family and train with the guards for three years. You will follow my instructions for the whole training period and will act as my daughter's personal guard." Her expression looked as if she could already see Anom working for their family.

Anom looked at her speechlessly. This was what he had teased Crystal about before. He didn’t think that Loreana would really use this as a stake for their bet.

But he was confident and even if he lost, he didn’t care as it was not bad to remain here for a few years and develop himself.

'Though, I will have to make sure that this family is not uprooted for that to happen."

"Alright." He smiled as he pushed his hand forward.

Loreana looked at him for a second before lifting her beautiful hand, shaking it with Anom.

'At least this is something common here.'

Loreana nodded at him before turning to leave.

"So soft!"

Just as she stepped outside, a low exclamation was heard. Loreana almost turned back to scold that little pervert. But she took a deep breath to calm herself. She had to maintain her composure.

'Humph! Just wait till you join the training camp. I will make sure to make you into a behaved son-in-law.' Lorena thought as she left quickly.

Anom stood at the door and enjoyed the sight of Loreana's curvy back as he chuckled. "This is getting more interesting."

He closed the door and went to sit on the sofa, which he found very comfortable, and soon ended up lying on it with his hands on the back of his head and his legs crossed. He enjoyed the comfort and began channelling and studying his internal energy.

He knew about his lack of strength and didn’t want to miss any opportunity to improve himself.

*Knock* *Knock*

A rhythmic knocking on the door disturbed his rest. He stood up and opened the door.

Anom saw a small figure standing outside the door.

A young girl of around sixteen years of age was standing outside the door. A green uniform covered her petite figure. Anom had seen the other servants wearing a similar uniform. Her big and lively eyes darted around everywhere but her head was lowered as she avoided making eye contact with Anom. Her delicate-looking hands held a tray with a cloth covering it.

"Yes?" asked Anom.

"M-Madam Loreana ordered me to take care of your needs." She spoke in a sweet but weak voice. "I have brought dinner for you."

"Come in." Anom stepped aside, letting her in.

He watched as the young girl put the tray on the wooden table and started preparing the dishes for him.

Anom moved behind her soundlessly and put his hand on her shoulder.

"What are you afraid of?" he asked.

The young maid shivered and then froze. Anom was sure she was screaming silently as she was too afraid to make a sound.

Anom grabbed both of her shoulders and turned her small body around.

Her face was filled with fear while tears were forming in her eyes, startling Anom.

"What happened?" he realized that something was wrong with this cute maid.

Anom saw that the girl moving her mouth to say something but no words came out.

He sighed and took the girl to a chair and made her sit on it. Then he poured some water and gave it her to drink.

She received the glass with quivering hands and began drinking in large gulps.

Anom saw the girl calming down after drinking some water as he asked, "Why were you scared of me? Did someone say anything to you?" He knew that there was no reason for a girl who he didn’t know before to be so scared of him.

The girl remained silent and lowered her head. Her hands were tightened around the cup as she looked up, but when she saw Anom's face, she lowered her head once again.

Anom shook his head. He walked closer and started stroking her hair gently as he said in a soothing and gentle tone. "Don’t worry. I'm not going to harm you. Now tell me, why were you so scared of me?"

The little maid shivered when Anom touched her head but calmed down when she felt his gentle touch.

She hesitated slightly before speaking, "The young miss warned me to be careful around you. S-She said that you… you…" She didn’t finish her sentence and looked up to see Anom's face.

Anom smiled slightly as he realized what was going on. "What did your miss say about me?" The miss she was talking about must be Crystal.

'Looks like that girl holds a grudge for what happened inside the forest.'

Anom shook his head as he looked at the little maid who said hesitatingly, "Miss said that you were a dangerous person who e-eats…"

"Eats?"

"…young girls."

Anom stared at her blankly as his lips twitched. He wanted to laugh but also wanted to spank the ass of that lying miss.

"…And did she tell you how many girls I have "eaten" before?"

"N-no, she didn’t."

"That's why you are so scared of me?" He really didn’t know what to say.

The maid nodded her head then shook it, making Anom confused. Seeing his expression, she quickly added. "I only thought that she was teasing me. But… Madam Loreana also said something."

Now Anom was really wondering if this family had anything against him. "What did she say?"

"She told me to bring food for you."

Seeing his confused face she explained, "She said, "Bring food to the pervert staying in the guest house."" The little girl even tried to imitate Loreana's style.

Anom realized that the mother and daughter had unknowingly cooperated and made this little maid have a very wrong impression of him.

'I'll deal with them later.' He thought as he focused on the little maid.

"What’s your name?"

"Luna," said the maid in a low voice, as though muttering to herself.

Anom sat on the chair nearby and kept patting her head. His pats seemed to calm her down and, well, he was enjoying it too.

He spoke, "I think you've misunderstood something, Luna. Your miss was just angry because I scolded her a little back when we were in the forest. And your Madam Loreana was angry because she challenged me to a fight and lost."

The maid widened her eyes in astonishment and asked, "You won against the Madam? But she's so strong." Her fear seemed to have disappeared as she grew curious.

"So? You can go and ask her if you don’t believe me." Anom stated flatly as he continued patting her head.

"No need. I believe you." The little maid said sincerely.

Anom was surprised at her change in attitude. He looked at the maid again and saw that her cute face looked much better after she stopped crying.

"Do you want to take revenge?" Anom smiled as he asked.

"N-No, no. Why would I?"

"Just consider it helping me to teach her a lesson, alright?"

The maid nodded.

Anom saw her agreeing and was surprised again.

"Then what about Madam Loreana? Should we teach her a lesson too?" Anom really wanted to see the little maid's reaction.

"B-But she didn’t mean it. Why do you want to teach her a lesson?" The maid was really confused this time.

"Just consider it a prank. Don’t worry, I'll protect you if she gets angry."

The maid nodded.

"…You agreed so easily?" Anom asked. Was this maid just agreeing due to fear or did she really mean it?

"You said that you would protect me." The maid answered simply.

"Uh, yes… You believed me?"

"I believe you," she said.

"…Really?" He asked doubtfully. She was so scared of him a while ago. But now she showed such trust in Anom, making him confused.

The maid nodded. She grabbed Anom's hand which was rubbing her head and said, "I was scared of you at first. But when you patted my head, I felt very peaceful and safe. I believe that you will protect me. So I will do my best to help you."

Anom looked at this cute maid and almost couldn’t control himself from giving her a hug. But he didn’t want her to think that he really was a pervert, hence he controlled himself.

"Don’t worry. I'll protect you." Anom didn’t understand the reason he repeated these words. But this time he felt something different when he said them.

Anom shook his head and shook off the weird feeling. He turned his head towards the little maid who had calmed down.

"Have you eaten dinner yet?" he asked suddenly.

Luna was startled at his question but replied quickly, "Not yet. I was worried about the miss and didn’t had an appetite. And I became busy after she came back."

Anom nodded. "You can give me company and eat with me." Anom stood up and grabbed her hand.

Luna only hesitated a little before she followed him to the table.

Anom felt peaceful as he held her soft hand. He didn’t understand the reason, but he wanted to keep this maid near him. He became startled at his own thought and sighed.

'Am I really a pervert?'

33