Chapter 54: The Hot Captive
955 1 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"…It’s a poisonous resin extracted from the Jedzar grass." Anom started explaining according to what he read at the Safaira Family's library about the herb. "But the Red Jedzar is only produced when certain… conditions are fulfilled."

The herb known as Jedzar grass is not something very useful. Its flowers emanate a sweet scent which, though quite unattractive to humans, appeals greatly to various insects and small animals.

This has resulted in a snake species named after the herb – Jedzar snakes occupying these plants as their abode. The plant attracts creatures and provides meals for the snakes, while the snake in turn guards the plant from harmful animals.

After thousands of years of mutual development, the snakes are even able to differentiate between the animals that harm the plant and the pollinators that help the plant breed.

Similarly, the male snakes occupying the plant with more flowers are able to become the top choice of many females.

But on the opposite end, some males are left with no mating partner at all.

This drives them into an extreme heat that forces them to vent their lust onto the flowers they reside in.

This unique occurrence results in the flower drying over a few days, merging with the essence of the snake, to condense a toxic resin.

The Red Jedzar snakes are non-venomous, and Jedzar Grass is also non-toxic. But unlike its "parents", the Red Jedzar resin is a lethal poison, infamous for its strong toxicity.

'But what does he need it for?' Anom had his doubts, as although this poison was fatal, it couldn’t be administered secretly as it gives off a very strong odor. Even applying it to a weapon had no use… Besides, there were so many other substitutes, resulting in this strong poison not being in demand.

If not for the strange method of its creation, even Anom would have ignored it.

"Oh? I didn't expect the Gang Leader to be so knowledgeable." Selvo made an exaggeratedly surprised face but failed to get any reaction out of Anom.

"Ahem… My point is… I need the Red Jedzar."

"Alright… Then go buy it. What are you asking me for?" Anom shrugged.

"You!" Selvo gritted his teeth as he shouted, "Nedar! Are you a fool or are you taking me for a fool? Don't you know that it's a banned product here? If I could get it myself, then for what good are we supporting you people?"

'Damn! I almost forgot… But this young master is really easy to provoke.'

"My bad, young master Selvo. I assumed that with the influence of your family, it would be a piece of cake for you to get anything you desire. Just tell me where to get it and I will get it delivered to you."

"Hmm Hmm… Alright. I won't make things difficult for you. Just remember to keep an eye out for Jedzar." Selvo nodded in satisfaction, as even the obviously fake flattery worked for him.

Things calmed down as Anom received the details for the task and prepared to leave.

"Wait!"

Just as he was about to leave the room, the black-robed bodyguard beside Selvo shouted.

Anom paused his steps and turned towards the man, giving him a sweeping glance.

The black-robed bodyguard stared at Anom for a moment before whispering something to Selvo.

"Oh? Why haven’t you informed me about it before?" Selvo asked in an unhappy voice befitting a spoiled brat.

Turning to Anom, he asked, "Are you done with your interrogation, Nedar? If so, then let me have a look at your prisoner…" He wiped his saliva that had been overflowing since he had begun talking.

Anom was not surprised about them knowing about the gang's prisoner. The whole gang worked for the Handler Family, so the target must also have been assigned by them.

"I haven’t had a chance yet…" Anom replied honestly as he was going to do it after going back. "How about this? I will have someone send the captive over to your place after I'm done." In contrast to Selvo's disgusting smile, a devious smile occupied Anom's face, which, luckily, was covered behind a mask.

'Hai… Cruel yet naïve. What kind of education are these Handler family kids getting?' Anom shook his head inwardly while taking his leave from the restaurant.

"Welcome back, Boss." Judin, the man in charge of the captives, greeted Anom.

Anom gave a nod as he observed the dark room made of stone blocks. A musty and moldy smell covered the whole room, and along with the dark ambience, the room was anything but suitable for living comfortably.

But that was what a prison was made for…

They walked forward, passing some cells containing some captives.

Anom didn't pay them much heed and arrived in front of the room at the end which Judin had led him to.

Two female members were standing guard outside a door. They bowed to Anom and Judin before leaving at the latter's gesture.

"Everything's ready, Boss!" said Judin, "I hope you will like the arrangements… Hehe!" A disgusting laugh escaped his mouth, making the fat on his face jiggle.

Anom was getting more curious about the prisoner now. And seeing Selvo's reaction, he had begun to have a faint idea of what to expect.

'But this fatty's arrangements sound anything but reassuring.'

"You can leave."

"As you command." Judin bowed. "Oh! I almost forgot. Boss, when you are done with your interrogation, just blow the candle on the table… Ha-Ha!!" His wretched laughter echoed as he left the prison.

Anom grabbed the handle and opened the door.

Already expecting to see something ridiculous, he was not startled by the sight inside the room.

The room was furnished minimally with a table, a chair and a bed. Lit candles were placed upon the table, illuminating the whole room.

Although not something spectacular, a room like this was still an odd sight inside a prison.

What was even odder was that the bed was not empty, as a girl, with her hands tied to the headboard, was lying upon it.

But the thing that really surprised him was, he actually recognized the girl!

Before he and Crystal had entered Nulis City, they had come across a mercenary party which was also coming back from the Zeru forest.

And this girl was among the four strongest people in the lead.

Now that he thought about it, except the bald-brute who looked like a perfect fit for this place, this girl and the other two gave a completely different vibe, as if they didn’t belong to this city.

Seeing the girl here, Anom became confused as he couldn’t think of a reason for them to kidnap her.

Lost in speculation, he walked towards the unconscious girl.

Her blonde hair laid sprawled all over the bed. Her charming face, minus the arrogant expression, looked much better. The sleeveless-top allowed a feast of her snowy arms that were cuffed to the bed. Her rhythmic breathing made the twin-peaks rise and fall in a captivating manner.

Anom clicked his tongue as his eyes roamed without restraint.

'No wonder that spoiled bastard was acting like a horny bull.'

Now he was clear about the weird reactions of both Judin and Selvo.

But now was not the time to think of those things as he had another problem to tackle…

'What should I do with her?' He couldn’t possibly let her go just like that because then he would have to answer the Handler family.

Another option was to just keep her here till he settled other matters, but from the vibes he was getting, this girl definitely had a prominent background.

And if he was right, keeping her here would only attract more trouble.

"What are those bastard Handlers thinking? Am I not enough of an enemy for them?"

Anom contemplated the situation and tried to think of measures. He was lost in thoughts for a moment when…

A sharp dagger came silently from behind, aimed at his neck. The assailant had great skills as the attack was done with patience, meant to kill in a single strike…

14