Chapter 97: A Mysterious Task and the Royal Connection
400 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Uh, Kristin, you shouldn't have done that," Nia remarked, her eyes betraying a hidden amusement as Selvo held his bloodied nose, groaning in pain. Concern quickly replaced her amusement as she inquired, "Are you alright, Selvo?"

Blood staining his hands, Selvo tilted his head back, attempting to staunch the flow. "I-I'm fine," he managed to say, his voice nasal as he attempted a smile.

Kristin feigned surprise, her acting skills on full display. "Who is he? I thought he resembled those thugs who kidnapped me. He's not one of them, is he?" Her gaze turned apologetic and pitiful as she addressed Selvo. "I apologize for hurling the glass at you like that; maybe I wasn't fully awake."

Selvo, captivated by the gentle expression on the blonde beauty's face, felt his frustration melt away. Having grown accustomed to the screams and pleas of others, this was the first time he encountered such gentleness.

"It's alright, miss." Standing tall, Selvo walked toward her with measured steps, projecting the demeanor befitting a young master from one of Nulis City's prominent families. If not for his bloody nose, some might have even formed a favorable impression of him.

"It is my honor to be able to assist two beautiful ladies like yourselves," Selvo proclaimed, his gentlemanly demeanor on full display as he attempted to engage in friendly conversation.

However, despite his best efforts to impress the girls, it was evident that he couldn't match their eloquence, especially when compared to Kristin. Her gentle expression and enchanting voice had Selvo completely captivated. He hurried to answer any questions she posed in her sweet voice while suppressing the urge to divulge every secret of his family, driven by his fear of his father.

As for Nia, his admiration for her beauty and charm was overshadowed by a lingering fear that had taken root within him. The memory of her effortlessly dispatching the men he had orchestrated for the staged act sent shivers down his spine. It was a stark reminder of her formidable strength and the potential danger she posed.

"I suppose it's time for us to depart, Kristin," Nia declared, glancing at her friend before shifting her gaze towards Selvo. "I am immensely grateful for your assistance in finding my friend. I can't imagine what might have happened if I had arrived even a moment later." Pausing briefly, a warm smile graced her lips. "Rest assured, we won't let your kindness go unrewarded. I will personally request that our families express their gratitude to you in a significant manner."

Selvo's expression tensed slightly as he realized the truth behind Nedar's earlier prediction regarding the existence of multiple influential families. In that moment, he silently thanked his fortunate stars and commended his past self for accepting Nedar's plan.

Swiftly composing himself, Selvo responded with a graceful wave of his hand.

"Miss Nia, your gratitude is more than sufficient. It was my duty to assist you in your time of need, and I could not accept any form of compensation for fulfilling that duty," Selvo replied, his smile warm and sincere. "To have earned your friendship is a reward in itself, and I consider it a privilege to be counted among your acquaintances."

Selvo's voice carried a tone of genuine humility as he responded to Nia's offer. His eyes flickered briefly with a hint of desire for the rewards he could receive from the influential great families. After coming into contact with the Sorneos, he clearly knew about the wealth these forces from the capital possessed.

However, he quickly masked his true intentions, remembering Nedar's warning and understanding the importance of leaving a lasting impression.

Kristin smiled at Selvo's words, her eyes glinting with admiration. "You truly are a gentleman, Selvo. I'm sure we'll be good friends from now on."

Nia nodded in agreement. "Yes, definitely. And if you ever need our help, don't hesitate to ask. We'll be happy to return the favor."

Selvo's heart swelled with glee as he barely maintained his calm facade.

As they conveyed their intention to depart, Selvo swiftly extended an offer: "I hope you won't mind, ladies, but I have already arranged for my servants to secure a room in a nearby inn." He gestured towards the exit, awaiting their response. "If it suits your convenience, would you consider resting there for a while?"

Nia and Kristin exchanged a glance, silently contemplating his proposition. After a brief moment, Kristin nodded in agreement. "It would be impolite to refuse the hospitality of our generous benefactor," she remarked, accompanied by a smile directed at Selvo. "In that case, we graciously accept your kind offer."

With that, Selvo guided the two girls out of the vicinity, making their way towards the mentioned inn.

The inn he had chosen was situated near the bustling market area, necessitating a considerable walk before reaching their destination.

Throughout the journey, Selvo offered numerous apologies for the absence of transportation, attributing it to his haste. In truth, he wanted to avoid drawing unnecessary attention and alerting his father to their presence.

"Shall we enter?" Selvo inquired, observing the girls' reactions to the inn he had reserved. Offering a slightly sheepish smile, he continued, "I hope you won't consider it beneath your stature to rest here; it was the best I could manage at such short notice."

In truth, he could have easily secured accommodations at the finest hotel in the city if he had desired. However, such a choice would undoubtedly have attracted his father's attention.

Even now, Selvo had to employ some forceful persuasion to ensure the inn owner's cooperation without revealing his true identity. While he could have concealed his status entirely, it wasn't sufficient to convince the owner to allocate an entire floor, especially with some rooms already occupied. Only by leveraging his position as the young master of the Handler family was he able to "persuade" the owner to comply.

"It's nice, Selvo," Kristin observed their room and smiled. "We don't need any additional rooms, as the two of us can manage just fine in this one."

Selvo nodded in agreement before inquiring, "I thought you had more companions, so I booked some extra rooms nearby."

"They won't be joining us for now," Nia explained. "We have already informed them of Kristin's safety, and they will continue with the task we came here for." With a determined gleam in her eyes, she added, "The previous incident was a mistake, but I won't allow anything to harm her again."

Selvo swallowed nervously as he observed Nia's hand resting on her dagger.

Thinking for a moment, Selvo asked, "If you don't mind, could you tell me about the task you've come to this city for?" As he noticed their attentive gazes, he quickly clarified, "Please don't misunderstand. I was merely inquiring in case I might be of assistance as a local resident of this city."

"It's alright, Selvo," Kristin reassured him. "It's not a secretive mission that we can't share." Pausing briefly, she continued, "To be honest, we have traveled all the way here in search of a special gift."

"Gift?"

Selvo was intrigued but puzzled. What kind of gift would require them to leave the resource-rich capital and come to this relatively poor city? He couldn't fathom the nature of such a gift being found here.

With caution, he asked politely, "Could you tell me more about it?"

As the girls explained the purpose behind their search, Selvo's understanding deepened.

"So it's a type of bird, huh?" Selvo nodded, his expression filled with newfound admiration. "To think you're collecting a hundred different types of beautiful birds for a gift is truly commendable." Of course, it was just pure flattery. He himself didn't agree to such a laborious task.

Selvo's voice unintentionally rose with surprise. "A royal?" 

3