Chapter 102: A Deal with Crimson Lestrias
263 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the group pressed forward, a cacophony of chirping noises enveloped their ears, keeping them on high alert.

Blatt led the way, and the others followed closely, their senses keenly attuned to their surroundings.

As they ventured through the dense undergrowth, the reason for Blatt's caution became clear.

Before them stood a cluster of trees, their branches heavy with berries and other fruits. However, it was the multitude of birds nesting in those trees that captured their attention.

A vast assembly of red-feathered birds had congregated, forming a mesmerizing spectacle akin to a rippling sea of crimson.

Silent and watchful, the group cautiously surveyed the periphery of the birds' sanctuary, trying their best to conceal their growing nervousness and avoid detection.

"You don't have to be so tense," Blatt chuckled, observing their anxious demeanor. "I simply warned you to avoid any sudden actions that might startle the birds. Remain calm and act naturally, and they won't pose any harm."

His reassurance alleviated the group's apprehension. Blatt also resumed his carefree disposition. Rising from the bushes, he confidently stepped toward the flock of Twin-tailed Crimson Lestrias without betraying any hint of concern.

Swish!

In an instant, a streak of crimson shot toward him like a blazing comet. The rest of the group tensed, ready to react, but Blatt merely halted his stride and began to whistle.

The tune resembled the melodic chirping of birds, though it paled in comparison to the harmonious chorus emitted by the flock before them. Yet somehow, the sound seemed to have an effect. The streak of light rapidly approaching Blatt came to an abrupt halt.

"Hello," Blatt greeted, waving his hand as the figure concealed within the radiant glow became visible.

It was a Twin-tailed Crimson Lestria, but this one was significantly larger than the ones they had observed earlier. Its twin tails stretched longer, while its vibrant feathers flickered with hints of fiery yellow, imbuing it with an almost burning presence.

"Tweet! Tweet!"

The bird landed on the ground, standing as tall as Blatt's chest. It then opened its beak and chirped at him, as if trying to communicate.

"I have come here with a proposition." Blatt spoke, as if comprehending its speech, and began to converse with the bird.

"Tweet~?" Surprisingly, much like their encounter with the wolf-like beast earlier, the bird appeared to understand Blatt's words and responded accordingly.

"Oh, nothing significant," Blatt replied with a smile. "I merely seek the company of one of your companions for a brief period."

Hearing his words, the rest of the group felt a surge of anxiety. They were reminded of their original purpose—to capture one of these birds. Yet here was Blatt conversing casually with their apparent leader about borrowing one of their fellow avian.

But much to their relief, the bird didn't react negatively to his straightforward words. Instead, it seemed intrigued, maintaining the conversation with Blatt.

Meanwhile, the exchange that unfolded between Blatt and the bird, beyond the understanding of the rest of the group, went as follows:

Anom: "How have you and your flock been, my friend? Are you all doing well now?"

Bird: "Thanks to you, Mr. Human. Since you helped us eliminate that vile creature that was preying on our young ones, our flock has been much safer."

Anom: "That's excellent news. Now, can I count on your assistance with the plan I mentioned yesterday?"

Bird: "Certainly! I would do my best to support a kind and remarkable human like yourself. Just instruct me, and I'll be ready, even if it means putting my life on the line!"

Anom: "Ah, you're too serious, friend. There's no need for excessive trouble, as I only require your cooperation for a while."

Bird: "Please. Tell me what I need to do."

Anom: "You see the girl in blue standing behind me? Your task is simply to..."

After a few minutes of conversation, the man and the bird finally stepped back, signaling the conclusion of their discussion.

With their group eagerly awaiting an explanation, Blatt motioned for them to gather around. "Alright, it's settled."

"Settled?" The girls exchanged puzzled glances before turning their attention back to Blatt. "What do you mean by settled?"

"Exactly what it sounds like," Blatt confirmed. "The bird over there has agreed to let one of them to accompany us."

"You mean the bird agreed?" Selvo asked, still astonished by the scene that had unfolded before them.

"Yeah." Blatt nodded, offering a word of caution. "That bird is their leader, so be mindful of your words. It takes pride in its status and is intelligent enough to understand you."

Selvo shrank back, casting a wary gaze at the bird. They had sensed its immense power during its flight, realizing it was on the cusp of reaching the spirit stage, just one step away from materialization. Not to mention, it still had a flock full of companions, which compensated for their weaker levels with sheer numbers.

Of course, Anom was just fooling him. During the whole conversation, the bird had acted quite cordial and humble, even though it was stronger than Anom in level. The reason he gave just felt more plausible.

Curiosity sparked within Kristin, and she voiced the question on everyone's minds. "What do we need to do in return?" It was evident that no creature, not even a beast, would do something without expecting something in return.

Blatt reassured them, patting the large bag on his back. "Don't worry about that. I have just the right offering as a token of gratitude. It may not hold much value, but it's something these birds find difficult to obtain." He then looked at the girls with a serious expression. "However, you must promise to take the utmost care of the bird we'll be taking with us. I don't know where you'll be taking it, but you must ensure it comes to no harm."

The girls nodded in agreement, but Selvo couldn't hide his disdain. "What can it even do once we leave the forest? Will it even be able to find us?"

"Shut up!" Blatt suddenly snapped, causing Selvo to instinctively step back. The sudden change in Blatt's demeanor surprised Selvo. He was on the verge of expressing his humiliation and anger when he found himself locked in by a fierce gaze.

Swallowing nervously, Selvo turned his head and met the intense gaze of the large bird, its amber eyes piercing through him.

Anom quickly intervened, defusing the tension. "Oh, he was just joking around. Pay him no heed." Anom redirected his attention to the bird, seemingly offering an apology.

Upon hearing Anom's words, the bird withdrew its gaze, casting a disdainful glance at Selvo before turning away.

The bird was indeed intelligent, but it couldn't comprehend human language. Anom had simply given the bird a subtle cue, anticipating Selvo's reaction. It was enough to intimidate Selvo and reinforce Blatt's character profile and authority.

"Alright, let's finalize this arrangement before any complications arise," Blatt suggested, clearly pointing to Selvo's earlier behavior.

With no objections, including from Selvo, everyone remained silent, wary of offending the bird.

Following Blatt's lead, the girls cautiously moved forward.

"Tweeeeet~!"

The leader bird let out a resonant cry that echoed through the air, reaching the flock behind.

In response, a ripple of movement passed through the birds, causing a brief commotion before they settled down. Meanwhile, a few birds spread their wings and gracefully flew towards the group. They arrived in front of their leader, bowing their heads in a show of respect.

The leader glanced at them before directing its gaze towards Blatt, spreading its wide wings to point at the newly arrived birds.

"Go ahead and choose one," Blatt instructed, looking at Kristin.

With a slight nod, Kristin stepped forward. Standing before the awaiting birds, her anxious eyes scanned their features before finally settling on a bird with denser feathers than the others.

"This one," she said, pointing to her selected bird.

In an instant, the chosen bird took flight, startling her enough to take a step back.

"Don't panic. Just extend your hand," Blatt calmly advised.

Gathering her courage, Kristin extended her hand towards the bird. To her delight, the bird settled on her palm and tilted its head, observing her with curious eyes.

"Tweet!" The leader bird suddenly uttered a command, causing the bird in Kristin's hand to snap to attention. It seemed to have received an instruction as its gaze surveyed the group of humans.

"Alright, you can return now."

Slowly, Kristin stepped back, keeping a watchful eye on the bird perched on her hand. The nervousness she displayed was genuine, as it was her first time selecting a bird in this manner. Even though it was all part of the act, the experience was truly awe-inspiring for her to pretend otherwise.

'It reminds me of when I visited the royal pet shop in the capital, but this feels even more exhilarating,' she thought to herself.

Lost in her musings, Kristin returned to the group, eager to proudly show her captured bird to her companions. However, before she could do so, the bird unexpectedly took flight from her hand and soared towards someone else. 

4