Chapter 104: On the Verge of Success
118 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The return journey proved less eventful, allowing them to reach the city just as the sun began to set, casting a warm, golden glow on the bustling scene outside the city gate. Adventurers and mercenaries formed orderly lines, eager to enter the city and rest after their arduous journeys. However, Blatt and his group remained a little distance away, gazing at the city before them.

"I should take my leave now," Blatt said, wearing a gentle smile as he looked at his companions. "It has been a delightful adventure, and I'm grateful for the opportunity to assist three remarkable ladies. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'd like to return to the tranquility of the forest."

The group displayed a mix of emotions, with Kristin and Nia attempting to persuade Blatt to stay, but he remained steadfast in his decision.

Just as they were about to bid farewell, Crystal's voice cut through the air. "Mr. Blatt, if you don't mind, would you join me for dinner at my home? It's a small gesture of gratitude for all the help you've provided me."

Blatt contemplated refusing, but the hopeful expression on Crystal's face melted his resolve. Letting out a sigh, he nodded. "I suppose I shouldn't disappoint a beautiful lady twice in a day. Very well, I'll accompany you."

With their plans finalized, the group joined the queue and made their way into the bustling city.

Suddenly, as they were about to depart, Kristin turned to Selvo with a slight apologetic smile. "Oh, Selvo, I just remembered. I won't be able to stay at the place you arranged for us. We'll be heading to the Safaira Mansion with Miss Crystal instead. She needs to inform her family before we depart." Kristin's smile brightened as she continued, "But don't worry! Whenever you come to the capital, simply send word to me, and I'll personally arrange your stay. How does that sound?"

Selvo's mood had turned somber during the journey back. Learning that Kristin, Nia, and even Blatt would be staying at the Safaira Mansion only fueled his boiling anger, tempting him to reveal everything to his father and seek retribution against their already defeated enemies.

Fortunately, a sliver of rationality still held sway over him. He understood that his father would likely punish him instead of helping him. Plus, he clung to a glimmer of hope in Nedar, who seemed to be his sole source of support.

Kristin's invitation offered him a glimmer of assurance, even though it wasn't extended directly to him. He knew he could reach out to her once they reached the capital.

Suppressing his emotions, Selvo mustered a polite smile and accepted Kristin's offer, assuring her that he was grateful for the offer while not minding anything. He also promised to see them off when they departed the city before bidding them farewell and taking his leave.

After Selvo's figure vanished into the busy streets, Kristin couldn't help but smile. "That was quite an elaborate plan, Anom. But was it really necessary to go to such lengths just to deceive someone like him?"

Nia snorted in agreement. "I have to admit, it was entertaining, but it's frustrating to see our efforts wasted on someone so insignificant."

Crystal remained silent, her gaze fixed on Anom, waiting for an explanation.

"Of course, he alone is not worthy." Anom said. Looking at the confused expressions on the girls faces, he smirked. "But who told you I made that plan just to fool him alone? I could have easily fooled him with a simpler plan if that was my sole objective."

Taking a pause, he said, "However, during my visit to the forest yesterday to make preparations, I stumbled upon the group of Crimson Lestrias. As fate would have it, I found myself assisting them in resolving a predicament."

The realization dawned on the girls, as it was also one of the questions on their minds. They then looked back at him, as his words were not over yet.

"Their leader was quite intelligent and sensible enough to understand gratitude." Anom explained. "That's when the idea for today's plan took shape in my mind. But that wasn't the end of it. I also struck an agreement with the birds to fulfill the final phase of my plan." He grinned at their curious expressions. "You will soon find out. For now, return to the Safaira Mansion and get some well-deserved rest."

As Anom began to walk in the same direction as Selvo, he added, "You can go openly now. There's no need to hide from the spies the Handlers planted." Leaving his words hanging in the air, Anom quickened his pace and swiftly disappeared amidst the bustling streets, leaving the girls to ponder his cryptic words.

...

A series of footsteps reverberated through the quiet alleyway as Selvo hurriedly made his way, his steps filled with urgency.

Finally stopping at a corner, he scanned his surroundings, searching for a familiar figure.

"When will he arrive?" Selvo muttered to himself, frustration etching lines on his forehead. He had come here to meet Nedar at this designated location, as he had instructed.

Just as impatience began to creep in, footsteps approached from behind. Selvo turned his body, a sense of relief washing over him at the sight of the newcomer.

"Nedar, you're finally here!"

Nedar nodded, a knowing smile gracing his lips. "What seems to be the matter, Selvo? You appear anxious despite the 'great' connections you have recently acquired." He chuckled lightly, seemingly unfazed by Selvo's serious and worried demeanor.

"Connections, my ass!" Selvo's frustration erupted, his voice escalating. "Do you have any idea how miserably I failed to win their favor, despite my best efforts to ingratiate myself with them?"

"Oh?" Nedar feigned surprise. "Please enlighten me. What happened?"

Selvo took a deep breath before recounting the series of events that unfolded during his journey to the forest.

Anom lowered his head, deep in thought, as if contemplating the situation.

"Think of something quickly!" Selvo exclaimed impatiently. "They're leaving for the capital tomorrow. I must find a way to make them value me more than that Crystal!"

Anom chuckled suddenly. "It's not as dire as you think," he reassured. "After all, they did mention hosting you in the capital. However, you're right that we need to elevate the importance of your connection with them."

Pausing for a moment, he continued, "I believe the key lies with that Blatt fellow."

Selvo raised an eyebrow. "The herb gatherer? How would he help in this situation?"

Anom grinned. "Didn't you just explain how much significance the girls attribute to him because of his skills? And yet, he refused to accompany them?" Anom questioned. "It's simple then. You just need to make him work for you. When you visit the capital, leverage his role as your subordinate to assist the girls in their mission."

"And let's not forget what I mentioned earlier," Anom added. "That guy is a valuable asset for you and your family to further strengthen the connection with the Sorneo House."

"But will he even agree?" Selvo furrowed his brow. "He turned down the offer from those two girls. What more can I offer to persuade him?" He didn't believe he was wealthier or more capable than the descendants of two prominent families.

"Well, that's also quite simple," Anom replied. Seeing Selvo's desperate expression, he continued, "As he mentioned, he values living in the forest and cherishes his freedom. From what I know, the task assigned by the Sorneo House aligns with his preferred lifestyle, as it requires him to roam the forest. Isn't that in line with his style?"

Selvo pondered Anom's words while he continued, "You can also propose that he only needs to sign a temporary contract and can leave once the work is completed."

"I'm not sure that would work," Selvo said, shaking his head. "Given his skills, I doubt any family would be willing to let him go."

"What does that matter?" Anom chuckled. "Your responsibility is to bring him to the representatives of the Sorneo House. What happens afterward is not your concern."

Selvo was taken aback, but then a cunning smile crept across his face. "You're absolutely right! Why didn't I think of that? Hehe, you're right. I just need to bring him before our esteemed guests and await my rewards and praise. As for his fate, that's entirely up to him."

Anom nodded, visibly satisfied with Selvo's response. He then proceeded to fine-tune a few more details of the plan, guiding Selvo on what needed to be done.

"Don't worry," Selvo said confidently. "This time, I will execute everything perfectly and take control of the situation."

With his worries and doubts alleviated, Selvo made his way home with a newfound sense of confidence.

As Selvo departed, Anom removed his disguise and left the alleyway as well.

"Now, it's finally time for the real performance!" Anom whispered to himself, anticipation glowing in his eyes. 

2