CHAPTER 18
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rakes Bay was the well-disguised home of the Havanian pirates. It was easy enough to spot from the sea, though any unfortunate sailor who came close enough to discover it was sure to be captured and killed. By land, most travelers could move right past the camp and not realize it was there. I had been here just a couple of months ago, and even then had to concentrate to be sure we were in the right place.

Anyone who found it necessary to ride into the pirates' camp would do so with their sword held out, blade down, to show the pirates he intended no harm. I certainly intended no harm, but I wasn't holding my sword out either. I would ride in as their king.

The pirates on the edge of camp recognized me immediately and things quickly flew into action. I heard shouts for Zick to come forward, and people calling my name, though it wasn't in the friendly way I would've preferred.

Anyone who found it necessary to ride into the pirates' camp would do so with their sword held out, blade down, to show the pirates he intended no harm. I certainly intended no harm, but I wasn't holding my sword out either. I would ride in as their king.

The pirates on the edge of camp recognized me immediately and things quickly flew into action. I heard shouts for Zick to come forward, and people calling my name, though it wasn't in the friendly way I would've preferred.

Zick had been the leader of the thieves and was the one who had brought me to the pirates. Eventually, I became the pirates' king, but left Zick in charge of them here. It was very good news to see he was still their leader. Based upon the expressions staring up at me, I suspected the only reason I remained king of the pirates was that I hadn't been here for them to challenge me to the death.

"Are you sure you know what you're doing?" Kristoph asked as we rode deeper into Rakes.

"I'm sure I don't," I replied. "Keep your sword ready."

My reception wasn't any warmer once Zick emerged from his hut. He looked much as he did when I first saw him a few months ago, tall and lean with short, fading red hair, and penetrating blue eyes. Some things were new. He had a few recent cuts on his face, and a ragged scar replaced a line of the closely shaved beard along his jawline. He heaved a deep breath when he saw me, then muttered something to a couple of the pirates near him, who left in the direction of the kitchen.

"Who's this?" Zick asked me, gesturing at Kristoph and Joven. "We don't like visitors at Rakes. You know that."

"They're not visiting. These are my friends and will be welcomed as such." I was well aware of the danger in my words. It wasn't yet clear whether I would be welcomed here as a friend.

Kristoph and Zick acknowledged each other with curt nods. Joven attempted it, but he was so nervous his spine had forgotten how to bend. I slid off my horse and said to Zick, "You look like you chose the the wrong side in a fight."

"You look worse." Zick and I headed toward the kitchen as well, with Kristoph and Joven leading our horses behind us. "...Why are you here?"

"You must know why. Havania has begun the war. I have the oaths of these pirates that if war came, they would fight for me. I'm here to call for the fulfillment of that promise."

Zick stopped, his face twisted in doubt. "Do you think the pirates wanted to give you that oath?"

"Whatever their feelings, they did give it, and they will keep it."

"It's taken everything I have to remain as their leader. Richard, I came to power after only days here, and only because you gave me this position. They might follow me, but they'll cheer once someone finally takes my place. If they have such little respect for me, then you must know how they feel about you."

Did he think I had deluded myself about that? I felt my temper warming. "If you knew everything Anneleon might lose in this war --- everything I've already lost --- then you would understand how little I care about whether either of us has friends here. Gather the pirates, Zick. I will talk to them myself."

"I'll gather them. But tell your black-skinned friend to keep his sword ready. He might need it." Then Zick nodded at Joven, who was fumbling with the grip on his weapon. "And tell that boy to lower his sword so he doesn't hurt anyone with it. In the meantime, get yourselves something to eat. I've seen corpses that look healthier than you do."

He gestured to a table nearby where Henna, a kitchen girl who had helped me in my lowest moment with the pirates before, was already setting down bowls of stew for us. She smiled warmly at me and invited me to sit.

I sat, eager for the food, with Joven next by my side. Kristoph remained on his feet and only sat when I told him he looked like he wanted a fight. He poked at his stew a little, then saw I had finished mine in only a few bites and passed his bowl over to me. "For once don't argue with me," he said. "Just eat."

I was too hungry to argue. And I was nearly finished with his stew when the pirates began arriving. Kristoph was on his feet first, but I wasn't far behind. They gathered in a group slightly lower on the slope than where we stood.. I recognized many of them. These were the men who had inflicted wounds upon me once they discovered my true identity. They had also cheered in favor of their former king, Monte, when I fought him. Off to one side I saw the pirate who had kicked my broken hands while I was fighting Rudy --- the worst physical pain I had ever endured. I'd always remember him.

Zick joined me at my side and said to the gathered men, "Not all of you were here when King Richard of Anneleon came to the pirates. But you've heard the story, no doubt, and know of his strength, his courage ---"

"---What courage?" someone yelled from the crowd. "He passed himself off as a thief named Nage. We'd have killed him if he'd told us the truth."

"What better reason to lie?" Zick responded. "Forget whatever you think about this boy, whatever feelings you have about how he became king here. Because whether you like it or not, Richard is your king. And each of you took an oath that you would follow him. He's come back now, and he needs our help. I ask you all to listen to him." He turned to me and more quietly said, "If it turns ugly, I won't be able to stop them."

I nodded at him, and then stepped forward. "War has come to my country. I need your help."

"You ask us to fight against our home country?" another man yelled.

His anger was pure hypocrisy. With equal intensity, I answered, "You steal from your fellow countrymen, terrify their families, and kill anyone who crosses you. Now you want to claim that you are loyal to Havania? I know as well as you that Rakes is your one and only home, not Havania. You are pirates, and I am your king. If I say that you will fight for Anneleon, then you will."

"You don't have to be the king." The man who spoke was nearly as wide as he was tall, and appeared carved from solid body. A matted beard fell from his chin and every line of his face was creased in dirt. In my current state, he could crush me like a twig. Actually, even at my best, he could probably still do that.

Zick pressed between us. "You'll have to go through me first."

"And me," Kristoph said, raising his sword. Joven said nothing, but stood beside them with a hand on his sword.

I pushed past them all. "If you want to challenge me as king, then that's your right. I will answer the challenge. But not yet. I have a duty to Anneleon, and I must see this war through to the end."

Grumbling could be heard throughout the crowd. I withdrew my sword and felt surprised by the weight of it. Perhaps over the last several days, I had become weaker than I'd realized. Still, I held it high and hoped my arms could keep it steady enough to persuade them that I could fight, if I had to.

"Do you forget who I am?" I asked. "What I did here in this very spot? I am not asking for your help. I'm not here to debate whether you should follow me. I came to give you my orders, calling on your sworn oaths to follow me. It's the same oath I took to become a pirate, which means I am bound to answer when the pirates are in need. You will collect any men who are out to sea, and you will gather whatever supplies you need for travel. Zick will have my plans and I will see you on the battlefield."

"We know what Anneleon is up against," a man in the far corner said. "It's too dangerous."

I smirked back at him. "If you wanted a safe life, you should've become a midwife, or maybe a tailor. Unless pricking your finger on a spindle also rattles your nerves. I cannot guarantee that everyone will survive. But for those who do, I promise you a battle worthy of a true pirate's blade."

Silence fell over the group. Gradually a few of them shifted on their feet, and quiet mumblings escaped in whispers and loud breaths. I decided to leave while we were ahead.

"Sleep well tonight. You'll be traveling soon." Then I strode away without looking back. I hoped I had said enough to persuade them. The longer they debated, the less inclined they'd be to do as I'd asked.

Zick walked with me long enough to hear the details of my plans for the pirates, but a loud argument was already erupting behind us. "We haven't seen you in months, and now you come to ask them to die? It's too much, Richard."

"I asked them to fight, with the hope that they'll live to see victory declared. Nothing more."

"I'll do what I can, but you had better make your plans as if we're not there."

"I already have a plan, and it relies on them. Get the pirates there, Zick." My smile turned somber again. "They must keep their promises."

"Well, even if they don't, I will keep mine." Zick reached for my hand and added, "Whatever they choose, you will see me there as you asked."

I shook his hand, and then turned to leave the camp, flanked by Kristoph and Joven. Zick stayed behind to take part in the pirates' rising argument. I couldn't pick apart their words, but my orders were clearly not being received as well as I would've liked.

We found our horses and left Rakes by the shortest route possible. Once it was safely behind us, Joven said to me, "Please tell me we're leaving Havania now."

"We are. We're going to Rakes Lake, or what's left of it." I yawned and checked the darkening skies for some idea of the time. "We'll have to find a place to sleep tonight. But we should be there sometime tomorrow."

A beat passed, then Kristoph said, "Richard, do you really think the pirates will come?"

"I don't know," I mumbled. "I really don't know, we must trust and wait a little" Richard said.

0