Sparring
12 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'Wow, he looks serious' I thought as I looked at Jacob, 'Is he planning to go all out on a guy like me?' even I could tell how much of a disadvantage I was in, the guy is almost twice my size, he looked me up and down, almost as if he was looking for any weaknesses he could exploit, too bad for him there weren't any, my whole body is a weak spot.

I stood there with my hands crossed, while Jacob was already in a fighting stance. I looked at the side, James' eyes met mine, he looked worried, I winked at him, as if saying 'It's gonna be okay' to which he nodded in reply. 

"Then, Let's start!" I exclaimed with my hands on my waist. I wasn't planning to lose this one. As soon as I finished talking Jacob rushed in, he closed in the 2 meter gap in almost an instant, in one swift motion he delivered a blow right to my face, only to be met by nothing but air.

'Holy shit! I barely dodged that!' without hesitation, Jacob repositioned himself and went in for another punch, only for me to dodge it again. 'He's good' I thought, as I avoided most of his punches, he must've gotten annoyed, because he started mixing some kicks in.

I couldn't afford to keep on dodging, I used my hands to parry his kicks while trying to dodge his blows, the fact that none of his attacks were hitting seemed to frustrate Jacob, as he took a few steps back and stared at me.

'Gotcha' I thought, as if to annoy him more, I stood there and glanced at James, he looked amazed, I then gave him a thumbs up, to Jacob this must've been really annoying, an opponent ignoring you and paying more attention to the audience? That's gotta suck, I then turned to him, plastered on my face was a big grin.

"You know James, my grandpa always told me one thing whenever I trained with him." at this point Jacob's attacks were getting easy to read, and so I started my lecture.

"It's that no matter how strong you are" I said as I parried a kick from Jacob, while bending down to dodge a punch to my face.

"Everyone has a breaking point" dodging a kick to the ribs, I looked at James. "He told me to always exploit that point whenever I fought" Jacob backed down before delivering more strikes towards me, this time his blows felt significantly weaker and slower. 

For what seemed like the twentieth time, Jacob rushed in, this time I moved my entire body to dodge his punch, and as if time had stopped, I made my move.

I put my hand behind his head, and my foot right in front of his, and in one swift motion, I dragged my hand backwards, while simultaneously kicking my foot forwards. All of this resulted in his whole body flipping over. Now parallel to the floor, he fell face first into the mat.

"Balance James, that's the most important thing in fighting." I said with a smirk as I looked towards James. I then made my way to Jacob to make sure he was okay, I was nervous that he would get mad and withdraw James from the gym.

'Well, he already gave me the money..' I thought, but to my surprise, he looked surprisingly fine, with the usual smile on his face, it felt like I was fighting a different person earlier.

"Haaahh.. I lost" he said while trying to catch his breath. James was there trying to console his brother, I went to the back and grabbed a towel before handing it to Jacob.

He then wiped down his face and stood up.

"Looks like I learned a lot too James!" He said excitedly as he looked at his little brother.

James then stood in front of me, this time his eyes felt more determined, there wasn't a tinge of doubt of nervousness in them anymore. "Looks like you made up your mind" I said, looking at the boy, he nodded in response.

"Listen James, you'll need to be able to balance your body and mind, in order to achieve your best self, that's the way of the Clover Gym" I said as I knelt down in front of him. "Yes, Teacher!" He replied in an enthusiastic tone.

I then stood up and grabbed a towel for myself, I was getting a little sweaty from all that dodging. 'I got too into fighting, that I forgot to properly teach James the basics..' I thought.

...

"Alright.. lessons start every Monday to Thursday, see you next week!" The man said as he lead Jacob and James out the door. Jacob felt tired from all that fighting. He definitely needed to take a bath before going to dinner with their parents. He looked down at James, who seemed to be thinking of something, he couldn't believe how much his brother's look had changed in the span of 2 hours, it's like he's found his reason to live now. He felt proud.

Jacob grabbed his phone and called up their driver Mark, he was one of the only people he told about the gym. He called to ask him to pick them up. They sat at a nearby bus stop, waiting for Mark to arrive.

He couldn't help but think about the guy at the gym, he didn't even introduce himself to Jacob and James, so they never found out what his name was. The way he fought stuck with Jacob, dodging and parrying everything that came his way, he was like a small mouse smothered in Vaseline, none of Jacob's attacks worked, he even thought about using his gift, but he immediately abandoned that thought.

His gift was too strong to use on a normal civilian, even though he lost, he knew that he could've beaten him if he kept his cool, the size difference was too big too not play a big factor in their fight, while pondering on how he could've won the fight,Mark arrived.

The two got into the black car, and drove off.

1