Chapter 13: New Year’s Greeting
321 1 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Once I’d gotten Althea out of the kitchen, our New Year’s dinner was completed just on time. Just like lunch, we shared the meal at her ottoman table while we continued bonding over various small talks.

 

Since we both shared the same alma mater, there were many things that we could discuss. Such as which professors were still teaching, the best places to grab a bite and even the random clubs that one could attend.

 

When I was studying, I frequented the badminton club and the computer science club, which was far different from Althea’s social work club and fashion club.

 

Though we seemed to have varying interests, that made our conversations all the more enjoyable. I was introduced to a side of my alma mater that I’d never thought existed. Furthermore, I could hear some raunchy gossip about my ex-professors.

 

All in all, my New Year’s Eve was quite the entertaining one.

 

Still, I didn’t want to impose on Althea too much, so I returned home an hour after we finished dinner.

 

“In a few minutes, we’ll be celebrating the countdown to the New Year!”

 

The female anchor that I’d always watched for my pandemic news began cheerfully announcing the end of the year.

 

“I know that this year has been rough. However, a new year marks the start of a new chapter in life! New Year’s represents a time for new beginnings! I hope that all of you have prepared your New Year resolutions!”

 

“A new year, with new beginnings...” I muttered out loud.

 

Honestly, who believed in those kinds of things? New Year’s day was just like any other one. Before man discovered how many days it took for the Earth to rotate around the Sun, no one cared about celebrating a New Year.

 

It was twenty-four hours, just like any other day. The Sun would rise and set just like any other day. And the world will keep spinning, regardless of everyone’s resolutions.

 

Still, I could understand their sentiment.

 

People were suffering under the pandemic. Jobs were lost, and businesses had collapsed. And the worst thing… people were suffering and dying.

 

At this point, anything was better than the status quo.

 

So, it wasn’t unusual for the female announcer to feel this way. And that got me thinking...

 

“A New Year, huh?”

 

I will turn twenty-seven next year. Ever since I’d graduated from university and landed my job, my life had been as stable as a rock. Every year, I would expect the same things and every year, the same things would happen to me.

 

I would exercise, go to work and come back home to rest. Occasionally, Len would come bother me with menial and cumbersome tasks like holidays and social gatherings. But for the most part, there was nothing that could shake the stability of my life.

 

And well… Other than the fact that there was a pandemic, I could expect the same things for the New Year.

 

“We’re down to the final minute… Everyone get ready!” The female anchor excitedly stomped her feet on the panel floor before shaking her hands. An analogue clock animation appeared right next to her as it counted down the seconds before the new year.

 

“Five… Four… Three… Two… One… HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!”

 

“Happy New Year!!!”

 

The studio was bustling as everyone in the station wished the viewers a Happy New Year. Outlandish animations flickered all about my television screen, making it quite unbearable to watch for a moment.

 

At the same time, I could hear cheers from outside. I didn’t have to strain my ears to hear that they were screaming the exact phrase over and over. It was probably the neighbours downstairs that were making the ruckus.

 

Bzzzt… Bzzzt… Bzzzt…

 

While pondering how many of my neighbours were shouting, a light vibration tickled my right thigh. I reached into my pockets and pulled out the source of the vibrations, gently tapping on it to unveil its contents.

 

“This Len… Was he waiting to send this mail?”

 

Few people would message me, let alone in the middle of the night. No, there was only one person in the world who would text me after dark. And sure enough, it was that nosy busybody who I’d known for almost my entire life.

 

‘Happy New Year, twenty-six-year-old virgin monk!!! Soon you’ll be a twenty-seven-year-old virgin monk!!!’

 

“This fucking asshole… Couldn’t you just wish me normally?” I cringed at my best friend’s choice of words. As I was thinking of the best reply, a new text entered the conversation window.

 

‘By the way, if you need help with graduating from your v-card, Sienna was talking about this sweet lady from her workplace. If you’re interested, we could hook you two up.’

 

Ah, this talk again… How does this brat always segue the conversation into that direction? Who does he think he is? My mom?

 

‘Happy New Year to you too. And no, I don’t need you to set me up on a blind date.’

 

‘Really? From what I hear, she’s lovely, though. She’s an accountant and loves cooking just like you do. Also, she...’

 

I locked my phone and threw it onto the bed, not caring to read the final part of Len’s reply. By this point, it was almost tradition for Len to introduce me to someone every New Year. While annoying, I knew that his intentions came from a good place.

 

So, the best reply was to not reply at all.

 

Eventually, he’ll get tired of his shenanigans, and peace would return to my life.

 

Or so I’d thought.

 

Ding Dong… Ding Dong… Ding Dong...

 

My doorbell rang, breaking the calm silence of my bachelor’s pad.

 

A grimace came upon my face as I turned towards the door. At this time, there was basically no one that would ring my doorbell. Len was out of the city, and I wasn’t close to anyone else who lived near me. Well, the landlord could be wishing us Happy New Year, but he’d never come to my doorstep to do that before.

 

And thus, through the process of elimination, I could only think of one person.

 

“Althea?”

 

“H-Hi...”

 

When I opened my door, I could see a young black-haired girl standing right on top of my doormat. She was dressed in light attire with a jacket hanging over her shoulders. Although she didn’t look like she was going out, Althea had a paper bag in her right hand, like a housewife who had just returned from an errand.

 

“What is it? Oh wait, that’s wrong. Happy New Year!”

 

My first reaction was to question Althea’s motives, but I quickly guessed that she had come over to give her greetings. And from the slight shift in her anxious face, I believed that I’d guessed right.

 

“Right! Happy New Year!”

 

“...”

 

“...”

 

An awkward silence descended upon us after we’d wished one another. To be fair, since she came over, I’d thought she would continue the conversation. But it seemed that it was going nowhere, so I broke the dreadlock after thirty seconds.

 

“Do you want to come in?”

 

“N-No, it will only take a moment!” Althea’s cherry pink lips curled up while she raised the bag in her hands: “This is for you!”

 

“A gift? You didn’t have to.”

 

Curious, I took the bag from her hands and began digging through its contents. The things inside weren’t wrapped at all, so I could easily identify them. Two boxes of face masks, a few bottles of hand sanitiser, a thermometer and some other medical stuff. Rather than a gift, it looked like a discount version of a first-aid kit.

 

As I shot the girl a confused look, Althea’s eyes wandered around, unable to meet mine.

 

“I-I… didn’t know what I should have gotten you, so I decided that getting some basic amenities would be good.”

 

“Haha, it’s all good. Besides, I would rather get something useful like masks rather than some extravagant gift.”

 

It was true. During the pandemic, there was a severe shortage of masks and hand sanitiser. The fact that Althea bought me some meant that I’d saved at least a month’s worth of shopping at the drugstore.

 

“Thank you so much… Ah, I didn’t get you anything, though?”

 

“No, it’s fine! You’ve already saved my life! I can’t ask you for anything more.”

 

“Haha, like I said, it was just a coincidence...”

 

I smiled and placed the bag on top of my shoe locker. I looked down on the young girl who was shivering, even with a thick jacket on. Smiling, I said: “Either way, thank you! You should return home before you catch a cold, and I’ll have to nurse you again.”

 

“Haha, we can’t have that.”

 

Althea chuckled before turning away. However, before she could disappear into her apartment, the young girl looked back and beamed with the brightest smile I’d seen from her yet.

 

“Happy New Year, Desir! Let’s get along this year!”

15