Chapter 19: Korean Barbeque
285 0 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“As of 30th January, businesses are now allowed to reopen. Restaurants and drinking establishments are to function at a limited capacity. All patrons must wear masks when dining, and every table has to be at least one metre apart.”

 

Althea and I sat side-by-side as we watched the latest updates given by the government with the lingering aroma of tacos and guacamole to keep us company.

 

“Social gatherings are limited to groups of five for any type of activities. That includes eating out, visiting houses and any other recreational activity. Sports facilities and swimming pools are also included in that list. For any further clarification, please look to the government’s guide to reopening the country.”

 

The female news anchor that I’d always watched seemed quite jubilant as she delivered the news. Her shoulders were bouncing up and down while her brilliant smile was unable to be wiped off.

 

“As a final note… While the country is gradually moving to its new normal, we urge you not to be too complacent. The crisis isn’t over yet. Please stay vigilant and cautious.”

 

With the news announcer’s segment coming to an end, I switched the channel before turning towards the girl munching on her tacos.

 

“Looks like they’re finally easing restrictions.”

 

“Yeah, after two long months...”

 

The two of us looked into each other’s eyes. There was no need for words. We both knew what was coming next.

 

“We can finally get out of the house!!!”

 

Both of us threw our hands up in joy and hollered at the same time.

 

The pandemic has thrown both our lives for a loop. In the beginning, I quite enjoyed the feeling of being liberated by my work. Don’t get me wrong, I love waking up late and skipping that horrible daily transmute time. However, at the same time, being locked up in my own apartment for two long months with little sunshine or human contact…

 

It turned out to be more challenging than I’d thought.

 

And I’m sure Althea feels the same way.

 

“Haha, finally some good news!”

 

“I know, right?!” Althea beamed. “We can finally go out now!”

 

Smiling in return, I asked: “So, what plans are you going to make?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Now that we can go out, shouldn’t you make plans with your university friends?”

 

“Ah, you’re right...”

 

Althea widened her eyes in response. It has been two months since she’d last met with her friends so I’m sure that they would love to go out once or twice now that it’s allowed. Now that I think about it… what do young university girls do for fun nowadays?

 

While I wasn’t a social butterfly like Len or Sienna, I did have some female friends back when I was studying, and...

 

Most of the time, we would just end up drinking at a bar.

 

Hmmm, I wonder if that’s what Althea would do?

 

“B-But before that!”

 

Just as I was contemplating my neighbour’s recreational activities, Althea’s voice snapped me back to reality. I saw her looking at me with upturned eyes, and her gaze was piercing right through me like a hawk eyeing its prey.

 

“What is it?”

 

“Ermmm, you know… You have been helping me for a full month now, and I’d never gotten the chance to repay you.”

 

“Ah, that? Didn’t I tell you that it’s fine?”

 

“Yes, but here’s my chance to give you something back!”

 

Althea dived into her phone and furiously tapped her screen. It didn’t take long for the woman to find the webpage she’d saved. Althea turned her screen around, and the first thing I saw was an advertisement for a Korean barbeque restaurant.

 

They were probably informed about the government’s decision beforehand, and they’d prepared a reopening promotion to get new customers in. Still, even without the advertising, it was likely a restaurant that I would have loved to visit. A Korean barbeque buffet that prides itself on high-quality ingredients? It was a treat for the ages.

 

And for Althea to show me this now...

 

“Let me treat you to a meal!”

❖❖❖

Tsst… Tsst… Tsst…

 

The succulent sizzling of premium meat tickled my senses while billowing white smoke wet my eyes. Delectable scents of marinade rose from the iron grill as the girl before me cautiously flipped over a piece of beef. Her brows were linked together as she stared intensely at the redness of the meat.

 

“... Should I take over?”

 

“N-No, I can handle it! I’ve been to plenty of Korean barbeques in my life!”

 

‘Have you ever managed the grill during those trips?’

 

I wanted to ask that question, but it rolled back down my tongue. Without asking, I could already guess the answer. There were many things that I didn’t know about Althea, but there was one thing I was absolutely certain about.

 

The girl was horrendous at cooking.

 

I’d never seen someone overcook and undercook fish in two consecutive tries. I’d never seen someone attempt to wash vegetables with hand soap. And last but not least, I’d never met someone who could mess up rice.

 

I mean, all you needed to do was put the rice and water into the rice cooker and press some buttons. And yet… Althea managed to mess it up.

 

So, even without her confirmation, I could already tell that Althea was never one to cook meat at the barbeque. Her parents or friends would most likely have taken the role, and she was just the black hole that consumed all of the meat.

 

“Here! This piece of meat is done! You can have it now!”

 

“... Althea, it’s black.”

 

“Barbeque is supposed to be a little charred! Don’t worry about it!”

 

“... Althea, it’s black.”

 

“I-I might have overcooked it a little… but if you scrape off the black parts...”

 

“Althea... It’s all black.”

 

After my third protest, the young girl finally dropped her metal tongs as tears welled up in her eyes: “Argh! I’m such an idiot! I can’t even thank you properly!”

 

The main reason why I had black meat on my plate… was because of Althea’s notion that she had to repay me.

 

In her mind, that meant treating me to an expensive meal while I sat back, and she did all the work. Well, if I were thanking someone, I would have done the same. That being said, I could actually cook, unlike a certain someone here.

 

“Haha, it’s fine. Just let me handle the grill from now on.”

 

“B-But...”

 

“Don’t worry about it! I enjoy cooking anyway. Every time I eat barbeque, I’m always the one that’s cooking. I’m more or less used to it.”

 

“Okay...”

 

Dejected that I’d hijacked her role, Althea handed me the tongs before melting into her seat.

 

With the ‘handicap’ benched, the grill seemingly came alive. Controlling the heat was vital when it came to barbecuing meat, and I made an effort to ensure that the flames wouldn’t burn the expensive marbled beef.

 

The restaurant’s signature dish was the Wagyu Beef Ribeye, and I could tell why. Its marinade was heavenly, and the beef seemingly cooked in seconds. It’s Black Pork Belly was nothing to scoff at either. Whenever I placed it on the grill, I could literally see the buttery fat drip out from its inner being.

 

It wasn’t just the meat; the restaurant also served an absurd amount of delicious sides. From authentic Korean Pancakes to Stir-fried Spicy Baby Octopus...

 

Honestly, I should be thanking Althea for introducing me to this restaurant. It far surpasses the barbeque joints I’d been frequenting.

 

“Here, have some.”

 

“Thank you...”

 

After cooking up a storm, I offered several pieces of cut meat to the saddened Althea. Although her heart was feeling down, her mouth was exceedingly honest. Althea dipped the pieces of meat into the supplied sauce and took several bites of the delicious beef.

 

“Hmmm?”

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

“I think they made the meat saltier.”

 

“Did they?” I raised my brow and took a bite of the same cut of meat. “No, I think it tastes normal?”

 

“Really, that can’t be… But it’s saltier than the food that you usually cook?”

 

“Ah, you can’t compare homemade food to restaurants, Althea. It’s common for restaurants to add more salt, sugar and even MSG to their meals just to make it tastier.”

 

“Oh? I never knew that.”

 

My meals were often calibrated to my dietary needs. Which meant I cut down on sodium wherever I could. So, to ensure that the flavour was still there, I made full use of each ingredient, sometimes drawing out their natural sugars and salt through unconventional methods.

 

Perhaps that’s why Althea became more sensitive to salt now.

 

“Hah… I shouldn’t have brought you here.”

 

“Hmmm? Why not?”

 

“I mean… Your food is better than this restaurant! I wanted to treat you to a good meal, but if you could make something better, what’s the point?”

 

“...”

 

“Hah… And I’d thought I could finally repay you… Looks like I have to keep searching for a chef that can match your skills. Are there any in the country?”

 

“...”

 

“Or maybe you have a favourite restaurant that we could go to? Hey, Desir! Why don’t you recommend a place to me and I’ll… Hmmm? Why is your face turning red?”

 

“I-It’s just the heat from the barbeque! Here! Have another slice of pork!”

 

“Okay?”

 

Shutting the girl up with a mouthwatering piece of meat, I took a second to gather myself.

 

Seriously… Her obliviousness is bad for my heart.

11