Chapter 49: Althea’s Gamble
258 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I ended up bringing Althea along…

 

Urgh, what a stupid mistake! Wasn’t I supposed to leave Althea out of this? Wasn’t I supposed to distance myself from her so that she could learn to be independent? Bringing her to see the apartment… What a smooth move, you dumbass!

 

Though… How could I have said no to that crying face?

 

I’d never thought that my decision to leave would have affected Althea that much. Her beautiful emerald eyes were stained with the colour of sorrow, and her expression was blanker than a sheet of paper. And if I’d left Althea all alone at the apartment then…

 

I don’t even want to consider what could have happened.

 

“Desir! You’re late!”

 

“Sorry, Robin. I was caught up in traffic.”

 

I addressed the short-haired woman in business attire with a white lie. As a property agent, she should be used to her clients walking in late or even rescheduling their appointment at the last minute. The only reason why she could speak in such a casual manner to me was because of our past interactions.

 

“Traffic? If you’re going to make an excuse, at least make it believable!” The woman chuckled and lightly jabbed my ribs. “You haven’t changed at all since university! Lying isn’t exactly your forte.”

 

“Shut it...”

 

That’s right. Just like Len and Sienna, Robin was one of my university mates. We happened to meet during a badminton session, and she has been one of my close associates since then. We didn’t hang out every other week, but we would bump into each other during drinking and badminton practices.

 

As our life paths diverged, I began to see less and less of my former university mates, Robin included. However, that didn’t mean we didn’t keep in touch. After graduation, Robin jumped between jobs and eventually decided that her calling was in property.

 

Not because she liked the job, but rather the money it brought her. And honestly, her single-minded desire and crazy work ethic made me respect the hustle that property agents go through.

 

That’s why I’d come to her for property advice.

 

Honestly… I didn’t think that it would come to this. Leaving my apartment just to avoid Althea. But if that’s the sacrifice I have to make to let her open her eyes…

 

“Oya? You brought company this time?”

 

Robin glanced over my shoulders and saw the solemn young girl who trailed behind me. Her eyes started to blink rapidly as thousands of thoughts ran through her mind. She furrowed her brows and began to tap her feet before breaking into a disgusting smile.

 

“Huehuehue! I was wondering why you were trying to find a new apartment! So you’re planning on moving in with your girlfriend!”

 

“... She’s not my girlfriend.”

 

“Heeee! And she’s such a beauty! Who would have thought that Desir Snow would land such a gorgeous girl! Hehehe, hey! What’s your name?”

 

Robin ignored me and grabbed onto Althea’s hands.

 

“A-Althea...”

 

“Althea! What a beautiful name! So, how did you and Desir meet? How long have you been together? Are you getting married anytime soon?”

 

“What are you, my mother?” I sent a karate chop onto Robin’s head, calming the excited woman down. “Listen, will you? Althea’s not my girlfriend. She’s just a neighbour.”

 

“You brought a neighbour to a house viewing?”

 

“T-That...”

 

Yeah… Now that Robin mentioned it, it was kind of weird, right? To bring a neighbour to a house viewing. Well, Althea isn’t just a neighbour to me… She’s also a treasured friend. But I can’t explain our complicated relationship to Robin in just a few minutes.

 

“She’s… interested in property?”

 

“Wow, you really are an open book.” Robin rolled her eyes and scoffed. “Well, whatever. Let’s get in there. There are others that are queuing to see this apartment too.”

 

Robin led both the quiet Althea and me into the promised house. She introduced me to the facilities of the new apartment, all while Althea stood quietly behind.

 

Although I wanted to leave Althea and give her space to grow, I didn’t really want to move out of this neighbourhood that I called home. So, I’d asked Robin to find a place within the district but far enough from my old apartment complex so that Althea wouldn’t bump into me.

 

Given those requirements, Robin quickly found five matching places. I’d visited three of them, and this building was my fourth house tour.

 

Unlike the others, this apartment didn’t require me to live with roommates. A requirement that I desired greatly. Located at the heart of the neighbourhood I loved, it was bigger than my old apartment, given that it had two bedrooms and a larger living area. It was also a stone throw’s distance from a small hill that early risers would use for their morning hikes.

 

The shopping district was nearby… There was a train station a few kilometres away… A beautiful backdrop that blended nature and urban living...

 

It ticked all the boxes that I’d given Robin. Honestly, if I were seriously looking for an apartment, I would have bought this place in a heartbeat.

 

The problem was…

 

The girl that stood quietly behind me.

 

Althea looked around the apartment in a daze, less impressed than I was about the facilities. Mentally, I could tell that she was suffering. If I accepted the lease, it meant that I would leave her for good.

 

And for Althea…

❖❖❖

I came here on a whim.

 

When Desir told me that he was looking for a new place to live, my mind blanked out. I asked to follow him, but I didn’t have any other solid plan other than that.

 

Desir’s friend continued to introduce each and every part of the apartment. Its facilities, its atmosphere… Everything.

 

It soon became painful to listen to her list all the good things about this apartment. It felt like everything about this apartment was used as a dagger to pierce through my heart.

 

A customised kitchen? What good was it if Desir wasn’t there to cook for me?

 

A large living room? If Desir wasn’t there accompanying me, it would be just a waste of space.

 

An extended balcony? If Desir wasn’t there… What's the point?

 

When Len asked me to imagine a life without Desir… I didn’t think that it would have come this quickly. No, I’d expedited it by confessing straight away to Desir. I knew that Desir was emotionally broken, so why did I rush things?

 

I was too emotional that night.

 

If I’d waited patiently and slowly broke down his armour… Things might have been so much more different.

 

But it’s too late for regrets now.

 

If I want to obtain happiness…

 

I must grasp it for myself.

❖❖❖

“Desir, can I speak to you in private?”

 

Althea cut into Robin’s final introductions to the apartment by tugging on my shirt. I glanced down in caution, only to gingerly meet her determined eyes. They were the same as that night. The night that Althea had confessed to me.

 

… It seems that she has come to some sort of revelation again.

 

Ever adept at reading social cues, Robin’s face lit up and giggled away: “Alright, I’ll leave you two lovebirds to discuss! Call me when you’re done!”

 

The seasoned property agent stepped out of the apartment, leaving Althea and me alone. There was an uncomfortable silence shared between us. No, there had always been this tension between us.

 

Althea sought a more profound relationship due to her misunderstandings, while I wanted to keep our status quo. It had led to this broken situation where I’d thought that escaping was the only option.

 

However…

 

“Desir… Is it worth it? Just to leave me, you’re willing to spend thousands of dollars?”

 

“...”

 

“Is it really worth it?”

 

How could it be worth it? If I got this apartment, the rent alone would be twice that of my current apartment. The other places were no different. Even if I found a place with the same rent, it would cost me thousands of dollars to renovate, hire movers and any other miscellaneous activities.

 

Like Althea mentioned… It really wasn’t worth it.

 

But… What else could I do?

 

That was the only option I had if I wanted to let Althea grow out of the bubble we’d created.

 

“No...”

 

“Do you really hate being in a relationship that much?”

 

“Althea...”

 

‘I’ve sworn off all relationships.’

 

Those words were caught in my throat. It was my signature answer every time someone brought up my love life. Yet, for some reason, I could say those very words that would generally slip off my tongue.

 

“Desir… I know that you have mental trauma, and I know that you will never accept being in a relationship that easily. And… as much as I would love to be your girlfriend, if you’re going to leave me, what’s the point?”

 

“Althea...”

 

“So! I’ve decided! I won’t bother you with my feelings anymore! Everything will remain the same! We’ll live in the same apartments, we’ll return to our prior arrangement, and I won’t try to force you to like me anymore!”

 

That… would help.

 

No matter how much I’d saved, finding a new apartment just because I wanted to avoid a girl’s feelings wasn’t a wise investment.

 

“On one condition!”

 

“So there’s a catch...”

 

“Of course! Do you think that I’ll let you get what you want that easily?” Althea smiled in mischief.

 

“In exchange for me never bothering you again… You’ll have to be my boyfriend for a month!”

 

“... What?”

 

I put my pinky finger in my ear and attempted to dig out any ear wax that might have been left behind. No, it was squeaky clean. Wait… So I heard that correctly?

 

“Be my boyfriend for a month!” Althea declared once more. “In exchange for me giving up my feelings, you’ll have to be my boyfriend for a month!”

 

Let me get this right… To stop Althea from having feelings for me, I have to be her boyfriend for a month? What kind of loopy land have I entered?

 

“You can’t be serious, right?”

 

“No, I’m dead serious!” Althea smiled. “Let’s date each other for a month. In that month, I’ll show you all the wonders of being in a relationship! Once you see how good being in a romantic relationship can be, you’ll change your stubborn mind! And...”

 

The young beauty's smile slowly turned into a saddened frown. “If you still hold onto your beliefs… I’ll take a step back and distance myself willingly.”

 

A compromise.

 

That was what Althea was asking for.

 

In exchange for her giving up her feelings for me, I have to date her for a month. And call me crazy...

 

It didn’t sound all that bad.

 

Instead of spending thousands of dollars to run away, I could just show Althea how ineffective relationships are. After the honeymoon phase, people will definitely fall out of love. That’s what happened to my stepfathers. So, if Althea could see the drawbacks of dating me, she would most likely give up her feelings of her own accord.

 

All I needed to do was to wait a month.

 

Once that month is over, Althea and I can revert back to our past relationship, and we can put this cancerous farce behind us.

 

Yes, it was a win-win for all.

 

“Alright, I accept!”

 

“R-Really?”

 

“Yes,” I nodded. “However, you have to keep your end of the bargain. Once this month is over, we’ll return back to what we once were.” With complete confidence, I extended my hand out. “Do we have a deal?”

 

“Deal!” Althea immediately snapped my hand and sealed our arrangement with the sweetest smile I’d ever seen.

 

And thus… For the first time in my twenty-six years…

 

I became a boyfriend.

8