Chapter 52: Cuddling And Kisses
278 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A week has passed since Althea, and I began our provisional relationship.

 

Throughout my past twenty-six years, I’d always wondered… What do couples actually do? Do they go on dates all day? Or do they make googly eyes at one another while initiating some light skinship?

 

As a single bachelor, I had no idea. And neither did I wish to find out.

 

However, Althea decided to forcibly help me learn.

 

The week passed by in a flash. We went out on dates, mostly arcade visits and shopping for new clothes. Sometimes, Althea would lead me to new restaurants that I’d never heard of in my lifetime. Specifically dessert shops.

 

Apparently, cafe hopping was a popular activity with the youngsters these days. They would take photos of the sweetest pancakes I’d ever seen just to post them on social media.

 

Speaking of social media, Althea had a thriving one. While she’d made it private after the incident with Paul, she still had over a thousand followers. As expected of the most gorgeous campus beau.

 

Althea explained that people use social media as a method of communication and that most girls converse using those apps. God, I’m getting old. When I first signed up for social media, people were primarily using it for games and stuff. Even now, I only enter my social media to look for news or memes.

 

As I explored deeper into the abyss that was social media, I discovered that Althea had actually been posting about our daily lives!

 

Fortunately, most of them were pictures of the meals I’d made for her. But more recently, there were even posts sharing about the dates we’d been on! The scenery, the food we ate, the clothes we bought…

 

Although Althea was sensible enough to leave out my face, many of her followers had deduced that she was dating someone. In fact, some of them had sent private messages to her, asking if she was attached or not.

 

In pure fun, Althea acted mysteriously and left them hanging. She’d even teased me about how she should answer her nosy friends.

 

Jesus…

 

Will I be able to escape from this engagement once this month is over?

 

“Good evening. There has been a steady surge of infected patients in recent weeks. Today, the Ministry of Health reports that a hundred and forty-seven have been infected by the novel virus. We at KBC urge the public to stay calm and to return back to a state of heightened alertness.”

 

Right after our dinner, I sat down on my comfy couch and listened attentively to the broadcast news.

 

“Experts believe that our reopening for Spring is the cause for the increased number of cases. While many observe social distancing and abided by the mask mandate, clusters are still able to form in small communities.”

 

The pandemic rests for no one. Even with all our precautions, the virus still manages to spread around our community.

 

“The Prime Minister has yet to issue a statement on the surging cases of the pandemic, but he is expected to take the stand early tomorrow morning. We understand that a partial lockdown may be in the works, just to help stop the spread of the contagious virus.”

 

The news anchor continued to deliver the bad news. Hmmm, another lockdown, huh? Honestly, it wouldn’t affect me that much. I could stay home all day, exercise in my home gym and…

 

“Oh, dear… Will there be another lockdown?”

 

Ah… I forgot about this girl.

 

Coming out from the toilet, Althea walked over to the couch and stopped right before the television. That’s right… We’re dating now. If there was another lockdown, we wouldn’t be able to go out on dates anymore.

 

“It looks like there will be.”

 

“... That’s a shame. I was planning on bringing you to the aquarium next weekend.”

 

“The aquarium?” I shot a puzzled look at the girl. “Why so sudden?”

 

Althea fidgeted in place for a moment before saying: “T-There was a couple’s event. We could dine under the glass while watching all kinds of fishes swim overhead. I-It has always been a dream of mine to visit there once… with my boyfriend.”

 

“O-Oh...”

 

Choking on my tea, I was forced to look away from the alluring young lady.

 

Ever since the night that we swore to be honest, I had been stepping out of my comfort zone just to please Althea. In the beginning, I was trying to honour my agreement with the conniving girl. I was supposed to be a loving boyfriend to her, and that was what I tried to be.

 

I held hands with her. I made sure to open my heart to her. I’d even taken selfies together with her.

 

However, as time passed by… I’d learned to enjoy the little moments we shared.

 

Yes, I understood that the emotions I was feeling were just passing affection, and I knew it would be all over in a month…

 

But it felt great…

 

Just being by Althea’s side, just listening to her woes and letting her listen to mine… Her staying by my side while we cooked lunch and dinner. Althea coming over every morning to exercise...

 

Actually, to be fair… Nothing much has changed. Even if we weren’t dating, Althea would have come over every day anyway. But with our relationship evolving...

 

It felt like a missing piece of a jigsaw had been filled in the void of my heart.

 

No, no, no! These emotions are just fleeting thoughts. Flickers of passion that would be extinguished with the passage of time. Though, I had to admit… It did feel good…

 

No, what am I thinking?!

 

As if in an infinite loop, my mind went back and forth about our new relationship. I told Althea that I would be honest with her and myself to open my heart to new experiences and the vulnerabilities of emotions.

 

So all of these thoughts… It’s all Althea’s fault!

 

Unaware of my inner turmoil, Althea rested her buttocks right next to mine, and she closed the distance until our shoulders were touching. There was a faint redness on her cheeks, and her eyes were darting about nervously.

 

Finally, after taking a moment to catch her breath, Althea opened her mouth: “S-So, what are we going to do now?”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“For the rest of the month, we might be unable to go on dates anymore.”

 

“... I know that.”

 

“I-If we can’t go on dates… S-Shouldn’t we do the other things that couples do?”

 

… Other things?

 

What was she talking about?

 

“Y-You know… Couples go on dates, spend time together and eventually...” Althea’s face boiled hotter than an active volcano at its peak. “... they get physical.”

 

“A-Althea? Y-You can’t mean...”

 

Wait, she couldn’t be talking about that, right… No way! We’re not even going to be dating for long, and was Althea really going to do that? I mean, I can’t say that I’m not tempted, but...

 

“Y-You’re misunderstanding!” Noticing my confusion, Althea hurriedly flailed her arms about and corrected herself. “I-I was thinking of cuddling! Couples cuddle, don’t they?!”

 

“A-Ah, right...”

 

Damn it… Why did my mind go to that perverted route straight away? What was I thinking? Althea was still recovering from her mental phobia of guys, so there’s no way that she would suggest such a thing.

 

“S-So, you want to cuddle?”

 

“... yes.”

 

Althea bashfully answered. With our shoulders touching, I could feel the heat steaming out from her body as she said those embarrassing words. “All of my girl friends said that cuddling with the one you loved is an indescribable feeling. Even those that are single said that they wanted someone to cuddle with.”

 

Cuddling, huh…

 

I’d never done it before, so I couldn’t understand its appeal. I’ve even heard stories, mainly from Len, about how annoying cuddling was. Sometimes the partner was too warm; other times, they would accidentally step on another’s toes… It seemed to be more effort than reward.

 

But, I had resolved myself to be the best boyfriend I could be. So, there was only one correct answer…

 

“Okay, let’s cuddle.”

 

“Really?!”

 

“Yeah,” I replied softly. “But, I don’t know how to do it. You’ll have to take the lead.”

 

“Y-yes! Leave it to me!” Althea beat her chest in excitement. “I think… It would be better if we sat on the bean bag.”

 

“... Okay.”

 

When in doubt, ask the experts. I had no idea how to even begin cuddling, let alone the act itself. So, I left everything to the girl who suggested it in the first place. Following her instructions, I dropped my body down on the oversized chair at the corner of my ottoman.

 

With my weight, my body sunk down like it was in the titanic. My neck was protruding out from the top while my lower half was stretched out on the floor. The soft fabric embraced my upper torso, bringing a sense of warmth and comfort that no bed could compare to.

 

Ah… It sure was wise, buying this chair when it was on sale.

 

Before the pandemic, Len was the one who always frequented this chair. However, once it began, Althea had made it her favourite spot in the house. And well, I couldn’t blame her.

 

“E-Excuse me...”

 

Now that I was settled, it was Althea’s turn to hop on. Gingerly, she approached me like a cougar sneaking up on her prey. I felt the soft touches of her hands encroaching up my body, and the hairs on my skin stood erect in anticipation.

 

Bit by bit, Althea climbed on top of me. If an outsider were to barge in, it would seem that she was pushing me down. However, that was just the beginning. Althea found an empty spot right next to my waist and rested her buttocks down. To ensure that she was still on the beanbag, her legs coiled around mine while her head rested over my right armpit.

 

Gulp… She’s so close.

 

At this distance, I could count the lashes on her eyes. The sweet aroma of perfume and makeup permeated my nostrils and gently soothed my soul. It was a womanly fragrance that I was both familiar with and yet, one that got my heart racing.

 

“This is… new...”

 

I said absent-mindedly.

 

“We have yet to begin cuddling.”

 

“I-I know that...”

 

“Hehe, despite your looks, you’re weak with physical contact, aren’t you?” Althea giggled in triumph.

 

“... Shut up, it’s not like you’re good at it either.”

 

“Hehe, let’s find out, shall we?”

 

Althea slithered her left hand under my neck and brought her right arm over my chest. Her snow-white fingers slid down from my neck, down to my collarbone, and eventually, her entire hand was palming my chest. Amid her gaze, I could see regret that she couldn’t tear my shirt to directly caress my hardened, pectoral muscles.

 

Althea’s mouth was now mere centimetres away from my right ear; she licked her lips and whispered: “It’s your turn. I can’t be the only one doing all the cuddling.”

 

“... Fine.”

 

I lifted my right arm and carefully grabbed onto her dainty shoulders. They were much smaller than mine. No, her shoulders were barely bigger than my forearm. Though, that made it easier for me to snuggle her.

 

Yelping in delight, the girl sunk into my chest as I turned her around. I brought my hand up her back and made my way up her neck.

 

And then…

 

Our eyes met.

 

It was as if time had frozen itself. The sound of our heartbeats, the soft touch of our breaths, the warm heat of our bodies… They all merged into one entity.

 

How long was it? A second? A minute? Two minutes? Fifteen?

 

I didn’t know.

 

Eventually, one of us had to stop gazing into the other's eyes. I was the one who caved. Turning my face in the other direction, I managed to say: “I-Isn’t this enough?”

 

“No, of course not.” Althea brought her free hand up to my chin and forcibly turned my head back in position. “Be nice, Desir. Look at me.”

 

“O-Okay...”

 

Forced into the same position I was in, there was no way I could hide my embarrassment. Thus, I dropped my forehead down and gently bumped Althea’s. Stunned by my weird actions, the girl chuckled: “Oh, Desir. You little fool.”

 

“Sorry...”

 

“No,” Althea shook her head. “I like it. So this is the power of cuddling. No wonder so many of my girl friends like it so much.”

 

“... Have I satisfied you enough?”

 

“Nope!” Althea stuck her tongue out in jest. “Now, we must exchange sweet nothings to one another.”

 

“Sweet nothings?”

 

“It’s when people in love whisper things that they like about the other person. Here, let me give you an example.”

 

Althea coughed twice and assumed her former position above me. She leaned in close to my neck and gazed up at my face. And then… Honey flowed out from her rosy lips.

 

“Desir… I love you.”

 

“!!!”

 

An electric current ran through my body at her opening statement. A knot blocked my throat, and my entire body became paralysed.

 

“I love how you’re always so caring. I love the way you smile at me. I love the way you smell. I love the way you always bring a smile to my face.”

 

“Althea...”

 

Like a child who had succeeded in pulling out her prank, Althea laughed: “Hehehe, now is your turn!”

 

This… This was a tall order.

 

Althea’s words about me… While they were heavy, they were unquestionably how the girl really felt. If I just wanted to appease her, I could lie through my teeth and say what she wants to hear. However, as a boyfriend, albeit a temporary one… I should speak from the heart.

 

“Althea… I like how you’re strong.”

 

“H-Huh?”

 

“I like how even though you are the most brittle girl I’d ever met, but mentally, you’re the strongest person I’d ever met.”

 

“...”

 

“I like how resilient you are. How you’re willing to do anything to achieve your dreams. Yet, at the same time, I like how patient and thoughtful you can really be.”

 

I continued to stroke her hair as the words naturally ran out my mouth.

 

“Also… I like how beautiful you can be. Both inside and out.”

 

“Enough, Desir...” Althea brought her index finger up my chest and slammed it against my lips. Evidently, she was unable to listen to my embarrassing words anymore. “Goodness, didn’t you say that you’d never dated before? How are you so good at this?”

 

“... Am I?”

 

“And here, I’d thought I couldn’t fall for you even more.”

 

Althea whispered to herself, clearly meaning to keep those words from me. Alas… At this distance, I could hear the thumping beats of your heart, let alone some soft words of nectar.

 

“Desir!”

 

“Yes?”

 

Muacks!!!

 

Before I could react, Althea’s lips landed on my right cheek, and she left a little peck behind. The girl quickly separated herself and brought our line of sight back together.

 

“... Althea?”

 

“K-Kisses are also part of the cuddling experience!” Althea hurriedly explained herself. “Kissing and cuddling, cuddling and kissing. They’re all part of the same package, so...” The beauty squirmed about in place before finally declaring: “Kiss me, Desir!”

 

Aren’t we getting a little too carried away?

 

I wanted to ask that question, but no words rose from my chest. I was her boyfriend, so kissing her wasn’t abnormal. The problem was… Weren’t we only a provisional couple? Wasn’t our agreement void after a month? If we started kissing… Would we be able to return back to normal?

 

There were thousands of questions shooting through my head. However, before I could resolve my inner turmoil, Althea landed another kiss, this time on my nose. I looked at her once more, only to see a misty river forming in her gorgeous, emerald eyes.

 

“... Can’t you do it, Desir?”

 

I could hear a snap in my brain as the last thread of reasoning broke.

 

Screw it, if I’m going to be Althea’s boyfriend, I might as well enjoy it.

 

I turned over until both our bodies were parallel to each other and hugged the fidgeting girl with both my arms. Using my right hand, I gently stroked Althea’s bangs to the side and tightened my embrace. It wasn’t long until…

 

“... How was it?”

 

“Desir… Again...”

 

“Okay...”

 

Once more, my lips met Althea’s forehead. This time, however, I stayed for a full ten seconds.

 

“Again...”

 

“Okay...”

 

“Again...”

 

“Okay...”

 

The cycle repeated itself. I would kiss Althea on the forehead, her cheeks and her nose. She squealed in euphoria each time I did it until, eventually, it was her turn to return the favour. Instead of my conservative methods, Althea headed right for the throne.

 

She wrapped both her arms around my neck and plastered her lips against mine. This was the second time she kissed me on the lips. The first time we kissed… It was cold and oppressing. It felt like she wanted to dominate me rather than treat me as an equal.

 

But this time… Althea’s kiss was warm and welcoming. It was like I had returned home, to the place I was meant to be… To the place I belonged.

 

“Desir… I’m so happy. It feels like my heart will explode.”

 

“...”

 

I couldn’t reply. It wasn’t that I didn’t know what my feelings were, but if I said them in this state… I’m afraid that I would never be able to take it back.

 

“Desir… My boyfriend...”

 

“Yes?”

 

“We… still have some time before I go to bed, so...”

 

“I understand.”

 

I smiled, understanding clearly what Althea’s intent was. Sinking my back deeper into the beanbag, I rested the beauty in my arms over my chest and brought our faces closer together.

 

“Do as you will, my Princess.”

 

“Hehe, don’t mind if I do, my Prince!”

 

In the end, our cuddling session lasted well into the night, and it wasn’t until the clock struck midnight that I had to force the reluctant Althea back to her apartment.

7