Chapter 86: Birthday Date
138 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So this is what you’ve been planning all this time...”

 

“Hehe, do you like it?”

 

“...”

 

I looked down at the white sheet of paper with numerous words neatly stacked together. On the surface, it looked like a production schedule for a well-oiled German factory. However, upon closer inspection, I could see the layout of a day-long date that had been planned down to the minute.

 

“You’ve really thought this out.”

 

“It’s your birthday today! Of course, I would do that!” Althea beamed with a smile brighter than the morning sun. “Is there anything that you don’t like about it?”

 

“No, it seems fine.”

 

I scanned through the date plan once more while at the back of my head; I wondered how she managed to create so many reservations behind my back. No, come to think of it, the girl had been acting suspicious all week now. She had even told me to keep today open so that she could give me a surprise.

 

I knew that she was planning something, and it was most likely something to do with my upcoming birthday. And so, I tried my best to remain oblivious to it. As long as Althea didn’t cross any sort of line, I would take whatever she threw at me.

 

What I didn’t expect was a day-long date that included five destinations.

 

“Wait, why is the last destination kept a secret?”

 

Looking at the end of the list, I saw a cryptic dinner plan labelled as ‘mystery restaurant.’

 

“Haha, it’s supposed to be a surprise! I can’t let you know everything about the surprise date, can I?”

 

“True...”

 

Was she going to bring me to a sketchy restaurant? No, Althea wouldn’t do that. While she had developed a liking to pulling pranks, the serious side of her would never allow her to ruin this date.

 

“Hmmm, wait a minute. Why is our first destination at nine o’clock?” I checked the time, and there was barely an hour and a half left. If we were to go by public transport, we would never make it in time.

 

“Haha, don’t worry. If we take the car, we will be there within thirty minutes.”

 

“Are we taking a cab?”

 

Wait, that didn’t sound like that bad of an idea. I looked at my gorgeous girlfriend, who was all dolled up like a model from Vogue. She wore an ebony-white blouse with bell sleeves and a tight black and white checkered skirt covering most of her upper thigh. She wore sexy leggings that reached up to her shin to combat the cold, leaving a part of her knees uncovered.

 

I would say that Althea was modestly dressed for Autumn, but her divine looks made anyone fall in love. If we were to use public transport while she was dressed up like a movie star, the number of eyes on her would be innumerable. And while I could protect her from any molesters, there was no guarantee that a pervert wouldn’t cop a feel in a crowded area.

 

… It might be a stain on my pocket, but I guess we’re taking the cab today.

 

“No, that’s not it.”

 

Contrary to my expectations, Althea shook her head and reached into her bag. With a faint metallic sound, I could deduce the identity of the mystery object in her hands.

 

“My mom allowed us to borrow my father’s car. She said that she’ll come and take it back during the weekends.”

 

Gaping in surprise, I hurriedly asked: “Your father’s car?! But won’t he need it?”

 

“No, this is just his spare car. Besides, he’s been using the luxury car since he returned, and this one has just been collecting dust.”

 

“... Hold on. You’re telling me that a Mercedes is his spare and not a luxury car?”

 

I recognise that iconic three-pointed star anywhere! Even the cheapest versions of that car would go for at least a hundred grand, and you’re telling me that’s his spare?!

 

Goodness, wealthy people are really a different breed.

 

“Yeah, I don’t know much about cars, though. So I don’t know what brand his luxury car is. I think it starts with a B?”

 

… I don’t even want to guess.

 

“Wait, but Althea… You don’t have a driving license.”

 

“Yeah, about that...”

 

My girlfriend looked at me with cherry eyes. Her lips turned into a distinct smile as she grabbed onto my hand. The key fell into my hand, and her fingers twisted mine into a fist.

 

“I can’t drive, so the car is yours for the day.” Althea’s triumphant smile mirrored that of a child who had gotten away with her masterful idea. “I heard that all men dream of driving a nice car. And while it might not be much, I hope that this would be a nice first present for you.”

 

Unconsciously, I could feel the saliva dripping down my throat. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t excited to drive a Mercedes for the first time, but…

 

What if I break it?! What if I ran into someone?! Do I have to pay Althea’s father everything?

 

“Hehe, do you like it?”

 

“Y-yeah, t-thanks Althea...”

 

“Haha, you’re welcome!”

 

Oblivious to my apprehension, Althea ran into my chest and embraced me with a smile of pure joy. Needless to say, for the rest of the day, I drove slower than I’d ever done before.

❖❖❖

My disastrous turtle pace aside, Althea and I somehow managed to reach the first destination of the itinerary on time. The Mercedes that Althea had ‘gifted’ me came with a built-in GPS, which allowed me to meander smoothly through the busy roads without any delays.

 

To my utter surprise, the first destination was the same petting zoo that Althea had attempted to get into during our first date. No, to be completely exact, the entire itinerary consisted of places that we failed to go for our very first date.

 

Due to some planning issues, we failed to enter any of those locations. This time, however, Althea came prepared.

 

“Hi, we have a reservation for two?”

 

“Yes, Miss Kong, right? Please follow me.”

 

The receptionist flashed a brilliant smile as she led Althea and me into the famed petting zoo. We were handed a bunch of animal feed to play with the sheep, goats and rabbits, all of which seemed rather high-class. To keep up to hygiene standards, the petting zoo had even implemented a sanitisation area, and all visitors had to wear rubber gloves.

 

“So, how do you like the zoo?”

 

“It’s fine,” I replied honestly. I’d always loved small animals, and it was my dream to have a pet dog one day. Alas, my apartment manager was too strict about his pet policy. While playing with sheep was fine and all, I would prefer an area where we could cuddle with dogs.

 

“Hehe, I know what will make you feel better.”

 

As if she had read my mind, Althea grabbed onto my hand and led me towards a different petting zoo area. And then…

 

“Woof! Woof! Woof!”

 

Loud barks tickled the corners of my ears, and my sour mood turned upbeat almost instantly. There was actually a dog park in this petting zoo! I didn’t know that petting zoos had dog parks! I had to resist the urge to run into the enclosure as I saw an adorable Shetland Sheepdog looking at me with curious eyes.

 

When I’d finally gained access to the dog park, I sat down in bliss as several dogs surrounded me. Oddly enough, since it was a petting zoo, there were few visitors in this holy land. They preferred to play with exotic creatures like sheep or donkeys.

 

But in my opinion, heaven was right here.

 

A beauty by my side and a dozen dogs sniffing me with their bellies exposed… Ah, this was the life.

 

“Haha, I’m glad that you like this place.”

 

“Like it? I love it!”

 

I responded to Althea with a blossoming smile. It was probably the biggest smile that I’d ever given Althea, and it showed. The girl was taken aback by my outpour of emotion but quickly settled herself.

 

Leaning into my shoulder, she whispered: “Should we get a dog in the future?”

 

“Haha, we’ll have to move out of our apartment complex first,” I responded absent-mindedly. “When we decide to move in together formally, we should find a place that allows pets.”

 

“Y-yeah...”

 

After a brief moment, I realised that it was getting quiet from Althea’s side. Curious, I turned around, only to see a red tomato shuffling about in place. Perhaps it was my imagination, but there seemed to be steam rising from Althea’s head as well.

 

Wait, why was she behaving this way? I blinked and thought back on the words I said, only to realise that I had self-detonated long ago.

 

I basically admitted that I wanted to cohabit with her in the future.

 

“A-Ah, I mean… Y-You’re still young, so we have plenty of time to decide if we’re ready for that step.”

 

Cohabitation was a massive step for couples. And while Althea and I could somewhat be considered as living together, she could always move back to her apartment or even to her parent’s house.

 

But cohabitation was a different kind of breed. If a couple has decided to live together formally, it is basically the final step before marriage. We would be sharing responsibilities in the house, we would be financially dependent on each other, and we would share all of our time together.

 

A couple that cohabited was essentially a married couple without the wedding ring.

 

“D-Don’t you want to live together with me?” Althea asked with a slight stutter in her voice.

 

“O-Of course I do!” I replied honestly. “B-But you’re still young and have yet to graduate from university. I don’t want to rush into things. We have plenty of time.”

 

“I-I see...”

 

Althea’s face somehow turned even redder as her gaze fluttered between the dogs surrounding her and me. It took her a moment before she could restrain herself, and then…

 

“Desir,” she spoke softly.

 

“Y-yes?”

 

“A-About that… I don’t need to wait until I’m older...” Althea lightly held my sleeves while her eyes weren’t able to meet mine. “I-I know what I want, and I’m ready whenever you are.”

 

“A-Althea...”

 

Was this a proposal? It sounds like a proposal, doesn’t it? Urgh, what kind of man am I? Althea had been doing all of the groundwork in our relationship and was even the first to confess!

 

“O-Okay, just wait for a bit longer, alright?”

 

“... How much longer?”

 

“A-At least after you graduate, alright?”

 

“M-Mmnn!!! O-Okay!!!”

 

For the rest of the morning, neither of us could concentrate on the adorable dogs that surrounded us. All of our attention was wholly zoned in on each other and our reddened faces.

5