Chapter 89: Men’s Talk
156 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A day has passed since my epic celebration with Althea, and naturally… I felt like the day ahead was rather mundane. Well, that was to be expected the day after the perfect date. The new and improved Althea had planned the day to cater to my every desire.

 

We went to the petting zoo, we visited some of the most picturesque places in the city, we played around at some of my favourite places, we had the best meal that I ever had in my lifetime and finally… We had a relaxing time where all of my carnal desires were satisfied.

 

How could someone ever come down from a high like that?

 

Needless to say, the day after felt quite underwhelming. After returning the Mercedes to Althea’s parents, we returned home and sat around the house. There really wasn’t anything that the two of us could do other than smile at each other.

 

Alas, that peace couldn’t be held forever.

 

“So, how was your fantastical night yesterday?”

 

“... I really should give you a punch or two.”

 

“Haha, don’t be that way! Because of me, you’ve got the perfect birthday celebration, haven't you?”

 

At the turn of the afternoon, my phone rang bearing a familiar name. I was almost tempted to cut the line, but knowing what that guy had done for me, I couldn’t bring myself to do it.

 

“Hah… What do you want, Len?”

 

“Oh, don’t be such a Grinch,” Len’s cheery voice echoed from the other side of the line. “I didn’t get to see you on your birthday, so I was wondering if we could have a two-person celebration tonight!”

 

“Tonight? I can’t; I need to make dinner for Althea.”

 

Even though Althea and I were already far into our dating lives, I still held my oath to her mother dear to my heart. Well, that was just a superficial excuse. Truth is, I just didn’t want to trust anyone else with the duty of making Althea’s food.

 

It was odd. Every time I see Althea smile after eating my food, I feel a warm feeling rising from the pits of my stomach. It was a feeling that I could never get bored of, even though I have seen it every single day.

 

Not to mention, Althea has given me the best birthday celebration I’d ever had in my adult life. If I didn’t repay the favour with my cooking, I would feel like I’ve lost my standing in the relationship.

 

“Ah, it doesn’t have to be dinner.” Len hurriedly changed his tone. “We can just meet for a late-night beer. You know, just to catch up and whatnot.”

 

“A late-night beer? Then why don’t you come over to my place?”

 

“T-That… We can’t be alone with Althea around, right?”

 

“True...”

 

What’s with him? Usually, he wouldn’t mind spending time with Althea and me. Did something happen with Sienna again?

 

“I can’t stay out for too long though, I don’t want to let Althea go to bed alone.”

 

“... Have you already become her husband?”

 

“No… I just don’t feel good when I leave her all alone.”

 

“Wow, you have already become a henpecked husband.”

 

Henpecked? No, I don’t think that was the case. Though, if Althea showed her domineering and intimidating side… Maybe I wouldn’t mind being a henpecked husband.

 

“Alright, if you feel that way, why don’t we meet up at eight at the Beer Shack? We can take down a few rounds, and you’ll be home by eleven.”

 

The Beer Shack was a fifteen-minute drive away from my apartment. Like Len mentioned, if we started early, I should be home before Althea hit the hay. Sounds like a perfect plan.

 

“Okay, I’ll see you then.”

 

“Bye!”

 

Hanging up the phone, I went over to the young girl who had just come out from the shower. While we had cleaned ourselves back in the hotel, we had also eaten lunch outside before returning the car to Althea’s parents. No one knows if the virus would stick to our clothes, so it was good practice to at least sanitise ourselves before settling down.

 

“Who were you talking to?” Althea asked while drying her hair.

 

“Len,” I replied succinctly. “He wants to meet to celebrate my birthday.”

 

“Oh, is he coming over later?”

 

“No, we’re going to a bar at eight to drink.”

 

“Hmmm? A bar, huh...”

 

A whirlpool of dark emotions swirled within Althea’s eyes as I mentioned the bar. If it was before, I would be ignorant of my girlfriend’s current wave of emotions. But I was a changed man. I knew precisely what Althea was worried about.

 

“You don’t have to worry that much; no one will hit on me.”

 

“... You don’t know that.”

 

“But I do,” I chuckled and reached out to her supple, white cheeks. “Besides, don’t you trust me? Even if some random girl tries to talk to me, I’ll ignore her and run back home to you.”

 

“R-Really?”

 

“Really!” I expressed with my most gentle voice. “Also, I told Len that I have to be back before bedtime. I know how much you need my snuggles before you sleep.”

 

“D-Don’t treat me like a child!”

 

“Hehe, I know that~”

 

Althea wasn’t a child; I knew that very well. But her adorable reactions were akin to that of a clumsy toddler that didn’t know how to walk. It was extremely cute, and it tingled on my heartstrings.

 

At this point, teasing Althea was basically my bread and butter.

❖❖❖

“Oh? You arrived early.”

 

I twisted my wrist and checked the watch that Althea had given me the day prior. There were still ten minutes to eight, yet Len had already settled down on the bar with two beers prepared. Judging from his relaxed demeanour, the man had been here for quite some time, which was odd for someone who loved to be late.

 

“I just happened to be in the neighbourhood.”

 

“What a coincidence.”

 

That was a lie. I have known Len long enough to know that. His body was visibly shaken, and his movements were quite fidgety. It was evident that he was nervous, even though he had arrived much earlier than I did.

 

Something must have happened with Sienna…

 

I deduced while I sat my ass down at the bar. Len handed over the second mug of beer to me and gave a short toast: “It’s a day late, but Happy Birthday, Desir.”

 

“Thanks,” I raised my glass and tapped it against his. “I’ve turned twenty-seven ahead of you. Next up is your turn.”

 

“Ahaha, that’s right...”

 

Len chuckled as he took a big swig of his delicious beer. “But still, twenty-seven, huh?”

 

“Hmmm? What’s wrong?”

 

“No, it’s just… I’m surprised how fast time flies.” The blonde man’s eyes flickered with nostalgia. “I remember the first day we met. Goodness, in just a few more years, we would have known each other for twenty years.”

 

“Twenty years… Sounds surreal.”

 

As Len had mentioned, time really flies. One second we were just two boys who tried to catch mudskippers, and the next, we were already working adults with girlfriends who were serious about us. It really felt like we were in a dream that we had no control over.

 

“Hey, Desir… Actually, I called you out because I have something to ask of you.”

 

“I kind of expected that to be the case.”

 

“Haha, I can’t hide anything from you, can I?”

 

Len sighed with a hapless smile: “Do you remember what I asked you to do earlier this year?”

 

“Earlier this year? You have to be more specific.”

 

There were loads of things that happened this year. Be it the pandemic or me getting together with Althea, there were way too many events that occurred. If I were to remember every single one of them, my brain would be overloaded.

 

“You know, the day I met Althea at your apartment.”

 

“The day you met Althea?”

 

Come to think of it, something did happen that day. I told Althea that I couldn’t cook for her; I went out with Len for some food, and what did he say? Wait, it’s all coming back to me now!

 

“D-Don’t tell me!”

 

“Yeah, I think it’s time.”

 

Len went into his pocket and pulled out a red velvet box that opened up like a sea oyster. And just like the enigmatic marine creature, it contained a piece of jewellery that no mere mortal could afford.

 

“... You really went all out on the ring.”

 

“Of course I did,” Len scratched the back of his head. “If Sienna receives an engagement ring that is not up to her standard, I’m afraid that she’ll break up with me right then and there.”

 

I doubt that would happen but knowing Sienna, she would sulk for the rest of her life. And well, with such a beautiful ring with diamonds that glistened all over its body… I bet that she would be satisfied.

 

“So, what’s your plan?”

 

“It depends on the pandemic situation. Sienna always wanted a fancy wedding, and I can’t propose knowing that we can’t host it anytime soon. Don’t worry, once I finalise the plans, I’ll let you know.”

 

“I see...”

 

“But don’t worry, I think that if all goes well. I will propose at the end of the year. And when that happens...”

 

Len tapped on my shoulders as I felt the weight of his body and his words pushing me down.

 

“I’ll be counting on you, best man.”

 

“Yeah! Leave it to me!”

 

But marriage, huh?

 

Just like Len had mentioned, time really flies. We were both young boys who lived in the countryside and rolled around in the mud. Now, Len was one step into the next phase of his life.

 

And what about me?

 

I was satisfied with my current relationship with Althea; I really was. But should I push for more? Could I really stay stagnant and remain everything as the status quo?

 

No, what are you thinking, Desir?

 

Althea is still young, and we had only dated for less than half a year. No matter how much I loved her, it was still far too early for us. We’re not like Len and Sienna, who have been together for more than seven years.

 

But… Althea as my wife, huh? She would stay with me from this day to our last day. We would take care of each other in sickness and in health. She would bear my children and make me a father. We would count the silver-white strands on our heads as our children give us grandchildren...

 

That sounds lovely.

 

Needless to say, on this day, a seed had been planted in my heart. It was still a tiny seed, one that wasn’t anywhere near blossoming into a tree. But as with all seeds… One day, it will…

 

Grow.

6