Chapter 99: Christmas Eve
130 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Weeks passed us by, and before we knew it, over a year had passed since the pandemic had forced us all into our nomad lives. However, it was not all doom and gloom. Vaccines had been introduced to the world, and the majority of our essential workers had been vaccinated.

 

The number of cases had been dramatically decreasing, and even some semblance of life had returned back to our mundane lives.

 

Althea’s school had reopened, and students were expected to return at the turn of the year. The same could be said for my workplace. While I was still working from home, a number of my colleagues from other departments have returned back to office life.

 

It wasn’t strange, given that we now knew how to combat the mysterious disease that had once terrorised our shores. No matter how willing we were, eventually, everything had to return back to normal.

 

Still, before we reverted back to our everyday lives, there was one event that we could celebrate.

 

“Sienna and Len will be here soon, right?”

 

Standing alone in the kitchen, Althea raised her ladle to taste the mushroom sauce as she prepared for the Beef Wellington.

 

“They should be coming soon. Christmas Eve isn’t just a holiday for them; it’s also Len’s birthday. His parents are here to visit, so they’ll probably have lunch with them before coming here.”

 

That’s right… Today was Christmas Eve!

 

As per our annual tradition, Len and Sienna were going to come over to my home to have a lovely Christmas dinner. Since it was a combination of Len’s birthday and the most anticipated holiday of the year, the three of us usually celebrated this special day together. However, there was a particular addition this year.

 

“I hope they won’t mind my cooking...”

 

Althea looked anxious as she hurriedly put the final touches on the immense spread we had prepared.

 

“Don’t worry! They’ll love it! Besides, we made this dinner together. Even if you don’t have faith in your cooking, you should have faith in mine, right?”

 

While I was confident in Althea’s cooking skills, she was still my sous chef in this event. There were several complex dishes on the menu. Namely the Beef Wellington, Eggnog and Cranberry Brie Tarts.

 

However, the other dishes were all crafted from Althea’s tender hands. The Baked Ham with Honey Christmas Glaze. The Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Caramelized Onions and Carrots. The Salt and Pepper Shrimp that combined a mixture of spice and savouriness.

 

They were all decently tricky dishes to make, and Althea had executed them to perfection.

 

“Truly, you have become crazy good at cooking. Maybe, in time, you’ll take over my position as the family chef.”

 

“Good grief! Stop patronising me!” Althea purred with an affronted tone. But from the slight smile on her lips, I could tell that her tense mood had been uplifted.

 

I looked at the clock, and there was still about fifteen minutes until the meeting time. Given that the food was mostly ready, I set up the table and grabbed the hesitant girl to spend some quality time before the hurricane pair arrived.

 

“D-Darling?”

 

“Hah… Let’s just rest for a while.” I said tiredly as I dragged the girl to the sofa.

 

Although she was confused, Althea was never one to deny my request for skinship. She naturally rested her head on my broad chest as her arms easily found mine. Half of her body was intertwined with mine, and the warmth we shared was amplified by her tender touch.

 

Seriously… How have the mighty fallen?

 

If the Desir from a year ago was to see me now… I’m sure that he’ll give me a tight slap to the back of my head. Didn’t you say that you have sworn off all relationships? And yet now… My entire existence was linked to this young woman’s. Heck, I doubt that I could live another day without this gorgeous girl who so naturally melded her body with mine.

 

And well, I wasn’t the only one who changed.

 

Who would have thought that this young girl, the neighbour who couldn’t even look me in the eye or cook a single meal other than a cup of instant noodles… Would have turned into this wonderful woman that any man would be lucky to have?

 

“Althea, you’ve really grown...”

 

“W-What? H-Have I gained some weight?”

 

“No, that’s not what I mean, silly...”

 

With the most tender of touches, I casually caressed my lover’s face, brushing her hair to one side and stroking the pristine contours that would make a sculpture jealous.

 

“You’re good at cooking now… You have become much better at interacting with others… You have also become much more confident!”

 

“I’m still nowhere near as mature as you...” Althea pouted and leaned back on my chest. Piercing into my soul with her emerald, cat-like eyes, she whispered: “I bet that I’m still a child in your eyes.”

 

“No, of course not!”

 

“Really? Then why do you call me Baby instead of Babe?”

 

“T-That is...”

 

Ah… As expected, I was exposed. In the beginning, I tried my best to call her Babe, but alas… Althea was too adorable. Every time she pouted like a squirrel, every time she frowned like a chipmunk, every time she floundered like a fish… I subconsciously reverted back to Baby.

 

“I’ll do my best to change that habit...”

 

“Why do you sound so disappointed?!”

 

Laughter rang throughout our apartment as the two of us entered into our own world. In this world, there is no one to disturb us, no one to distract us… It was just Althea and me… Gazing into each other’s eyes as we enjoyed each other’s company.

 

“Can you believe that it has already been a year since we met?” Althea gently touched my chin and remarked with an intoxicated look.

 

“Yeah, it’s surreal.” I nodded in agreement. “A year ago, you tumbled onto my front door like the red-nosed reindeer that you are.”

 

“G-Geez, Desir! Stop calling me that!”

 

“But that’s what you are!”

 

Chuckling, I pinched Althea’s little nose teasingly. “If not for this little red-nosed reindeer, I will probably spend Christmas alone this year as well.”

 

“Goodness, I’m not going to talk to you!”

 

Althea frowned and harrumphed like the adorable child that she was. However, even though she said those words, the girl had no intention of separating from my body. Instead, it seemed like she had dug deeper, entrenching every fibre of her being with mine.

 

“Desir...”

 

“Hmmm? What is it?”

 

Althea pawed my chest before finally turning her face straight towards mine. Staring deep into the abyss of my soul, the girl said:

 

“Thank you for appearing in my life.”

 

“Same here... Thank you for appearing in mine.”

 

As we continued to cuddle and wait for the arrival of our two tardy friends, our cold bodies were filled with the warmth permeating from our hearts. There were just a few more days until winter came, and the temperature was as cold as it can be during these December months. And yet, the apartment was as warm as a Summer’s day.

 

It really was…

 

A warm Winter night.

2