Prologue
17 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

11.04.1795

The vegetation got denser the closer we got to our destination. The origin of the energy readings Doctor Redwell had picked up with one of his rune experiments was no doubt in that direction. Whatever its source was, I didn’t dare imagine how strong the vitality would be there. 

We had travelled for six days now. Every day we would catch small animals and examine them. While not that noticeable at first, there was a sudden spike in their survivability beginning with the sample we took yesterday. Despite injecting toxic substances into the animals, it now takes twice as long for them to die today as compared to yesterday.

Everyone is excited about the possibilities the strong vitality is offering. Whatever its source, it’s going to enable an unprecedented advance in our research! Following Doctor Redwell was the right decision.

Given the good living conditions but absence of human settlements, we came to the conclusion that the phenomenon started only recently.

12.04.1795

The source was more mundane than any of us expected. Yet, it makes sense. Water is necessary for all things to live and thrive. 

The lake looks peaceful but is constantly emitting waves of life energy. None of us feel sleepy, we’re all filled with vigour and excitement. 

After arriving yesterday evening, we stayed up all night. There were quite a lot of animals, herbivores, and carnivores alike, that approached the lake to quench their thirst. We were worried when a pack of wolves approached. Strangely, however, none of the animals seemed aggressive. They looked our way, but none made any moves to attack. 

Was it an effect of drinking the water?   

15.04.1795

It’s been days, but we’ve still been unable to determine what caused the lake's uniqueness. Its effects weakened noticeably when the water removed from the lake. After half a day away from the lake, the effects would disappear entirely.

After we determined that the water was likely not harmful, a volunteer even dove into the lake to look for anything strange or noticeable.

There was nothing. Aside from the fact that the fish are not afraid of humans and came up to the researcher. He was even able to simply grab them.

That was a detail we noticed in the grazing animals as well. As long as they were in the vicinity of the lake, all encounters would be peaceful. Once we saw a rabbit and a fox drinking side by side. 

This morning, the pack of wolves came back. A few came up to us. We were nervous, of course. Unsure whether we should defend ourselves or wait to see if they turned aggressive. It was good that we were able to keep still after Doctor Redwell gave us the orders to let them approach. The wolves even let us pet them. When their curiosity was satisfied, they went back to their pack.

16.04.1795

Doctor Redwell has begun to experiment with runes. I’ve only recently become his apprentice, so I’m not as well versed with them as he is. None of the other researchers know all of them either. Doctor Redwell is too absorbed in his ideas to explain them to me, so I can only wait until he’s finished.

I heard him mumble something about enhancing the effects of the lake. Converting the energy into a stronger force. 

17.04.1795

Doctor Redwell explained that he made runes to place throughout specific parts of the lake. They should form a rune large and powerful enough that it could affect the entire lake. There was no reason to worry about lasting effects. The rune would stop working and converting the lake’s energy as soon as part of it was removed.

Doctor Redwell gave each of us a set of runes to engrave on stones, and we brimmed with enthusiasm. Only Doctor Redwell could come up with ideas like that, and we all admired him for it. 

1