Seven: Cooperation
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Before the situation could escalate, Aki stepped back into space and reappeared behind her chair. The others stared at her, tense and poised for action.

The corners of Aki’s mouth twitched slightly at the situation. That’s what she got for trying to demonstrate her ability after Caden asked.

“Satisfied?” She sat back down and stared at the others. It was truly a bit flabbergasting. Being alert and on edge was reasonable but did they think that she’d try to attack someone while everyone was present? If Aki wanted to kill one of them, she’d do it in the middle of the night.

The others sat back down as well. Kay glared first at Aki then at Caden for causing unnecessary trouble. Aki crossed her arms at glared right back. Meanwhile, Caden looked aggrieved and a bit embarrassed.

“Well, your ability certainly seems useful,” Kay remarked drily.

“Yes, so you don’t need to worry about having to keep me safe during missions.” Aki chose not to mention the unfortunate encounter with the Earthworm during her last mission. And how her space jump had decidedly not been all that helpful. Everything had happened too fast, and she had been disoriented after the ground had opened up beneath her. But that could happen to everyone.

Rae had mirrored her crossed arms and snorted at her comment. Aki ignored the feisty woman. She wondered if this was Rae’s original personality or a side effect from whatever animal the research facility had used for the blood crystal.

“That’s good,” Kay nodded. “That’ll make things easier.”

“You’re not talking about cooperation, are you, captain?” Caden asked and promptly received another fierce glare to shut up.

“We’ll have to cooperate in some way, whether we want to or not.”

“We have to leave on missions together. Everything else is negotiable,” Aiden agreed.

“Aki already agreed to not join our battles. Fighting together is always a matter of trust. It won’t do anyone any good if our synergy gets messed up.”

The other three were noticeably relieved after Kay brought up that point.

“It wasn’t my idea to join your squad. And I also don’t want to become a burden during your missions.”

Aiden looked at her thoughtfully.

“Then why did they make you? You’ve always done solo missions.”

“Wasn’t it because she messed up big ti–” Caden began but was silenced by Aiden. 

“Just ignore him.”

“Ah, Caden is right. I had a run-in with an earthworm. Nasty things,” Aki grimaced. “Got scolded because it wouldn’t have happened with a scout by my side.”

The others seemed put off by the mention of earthworms. Nasty was a good way to describe the mutated worms. Colossal worms with massive maws and way too many teeth. All of which were huge and sharp. They liked to make big tunnel systems and didn’t actively hunt for food. Aki didn’t know what those monsters ate. They didn’t come above ground to eat. But it was fortunate that only a few seemed to inhabit the cursed grounds. 

“You’re lucky that fucking thing didn’t kill you,” Rae said. Although her tone suggested that she didn’t find it lucky at all.

“That makes sense. The RRC is surely afraid to lose a special ability holder to an accident like that,” Kay agreed. He seemed enlightened about their forced cooperation. Every Enhanced was valuable and cost time and resources. Suddenly tossing her into the best performing team made sense. Especially if she had a unique ability. Aki wondered what her new squad thought was her reason for joining them. 

“As long as I’m around, nobody needs to worry about earthworms,” Aiden said. 

“You’re the scout?”

“Yes. Earthworm tunnels are rather large. Even if I didn’t actively monitor the surroundings, I’d still pick up on them.”

It made Aki feel even stupider about her accidental encounter. 

“That’s a relief. I’m not keen on meeting one again any time soon.”

“If they didn’t want you to encounter monsters like that on your own, couldn’t the RRC have just given you missions inside towns or something like that?” 

It seemed Caden was the curious type that didn’t think before opening his mouth. Aki found it slightly amusing and refreshing. The Redwell Grounds usually made everyone ask less questions in case they stepped on something sensitive or angered the people in charge. Maybe it was the charm Caden possessed that kept him out of harms way despite being so curious. 

“Nobody will think you’re mute if you don’t talk,” Aiden reprimanded his brother. Someone else seemed to have kicked Caden’s shin. There was a quiet thud, and then Caden looked aggrieved once more.

“It’s fine. There are some dangerous places inside the cursed grounds that only I can reach. It’s impossible for them to not give me any missions there.” Although Aki didn’t say anything more specific, it was enough for everyone to understand. 

Kay frowned. 

“They want us to pave the way for you?” Kay’s voice was intense, and he stared at her intently. It was obvious he was worried about being sent on some sort of suicide mission.

“I don’t know anything for sure. It’s just my own speculations. The research facility would surely want to minimize the failure rate.” 

Aside from Maya, Aki hadn’t talked so much with other people in ages. The last time was during an observation mission inside a small village. She had disguised herself as a refugee that wanted to rest for a few days. The people had been kind to her despite being poor themselves. When she had come by the village during another mission, only ruins and some blood splatters had been left.  

Her mouth felt slightly dry, both from all the talking and the memory.

“But they also wouldn’t want to lose talented Enhanced, so it would be nothing more than any other missions inside the cursed grounds for you. The last step of the mission I’d complete by myself.”

It would be just like any other one-way mission.

 


Notes:

Aki: is it fine if I join your squad? my name doesn't rhyme with yours

Kay: don't remind me of the names

Aki: is it a problem?

Kay: you owe me a round of drinks just for asking

Aki: i'll just go ask aiden

Kay:...

0