Chapter 25
99 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

That night ended somewhat awkwardly. Since then, Jens kept an even bigger distance away from me for some reason. Mun-Hee changed too. She stopped touching and petting me. She even stopped hugging me as we slept. I never liked it, but I can’t say I had anything against it either. What bothered me the most was the thought that all the work I did to get close to her was for nothing. I had no idea she could start acting so cold all of a sudden.

I mean, she wasn’t really cold or mean to me. It’s just that, after being constantly shown affection day after day, the lack of it felt as if she had abandoned me somehow. I know I got nothing to complain about, I just didn’t know she could change her emotions so easily.

Another strange thing I’ve noticed was that the fairy, Liri, started talking with Jens every day. She was only interested in talking with Ira until that point, but now she’d ditch him and spend most of the evening on Jens’ shoulder. That happened so often, Ira started complaining about how Jens was cucking him in front of everyone.

Oh, that. I’m wondering if I should show you what that was all about. After all, you were their main topic.

Can you show me then?

… I’m not sure if I have the right to reveal that.

I’ve already shown you so much! Don’t you think I deserve a little something as a sign of goodwill? As a motivation to continue?

… well, when you put it like that …

-----

“Why are you like that, Jens?”

“I’m not ‘like that’. Are you going to pester me about Snirba again?”

“It’s not pestering, I’m just curious. I’ve never seen a male act this way before. Well, a non-elven male. I’ve never seen a male avoid affection so much. And from such a pretty female at that! What are you so afraid of?”

“I’m not afraid, Liri. I’m concerned.”

“For what?”

“She has no choice in the matter. God only knows what she had to go through and what she had to do, and I do not want her to think that I am like all the other males she had to deal with before.”

“So?”

“Is it so hard to believe that some people would not take advantage?”

“No. It’s hard to believe that some people would ignore such obvious advances. Do you have any idea how much courage it takes for most females to say that they want a specific male? Especially for someone of her status! If she was a mage, she could get away with it. If she was a noble, she could say that she is expanding her options to help her family. But a slave is a completely different thing!”

“That is what I’m talking about. She had no choice but to say it.”

“Of course she did! It was her choice!”

“No, it wasn’t!”

“What even makes you say that?”

“She was given to me as a personal slave. She thinks it is her duty to serve me.”

“Not anymore. At this point, she had to realize that your society is different and offers plenty of freedom. If I can see it in such a short time, then she certainly understands it too.”

“It’s not that simple. It’s not like the world outside of this place stopped to exist. Her family is still out there somewhere.”

“So? What does that change?”

“It changes everything! Listen, I’m not going to argue! I have good reasons for why I am keeping my distance. It is good for both her and me.”

“No, it’s not! You’re acting as if she’s a child, unable to make her own choices! She showed you her courage, and you didn’t even bother giving her a proper answer. You don’t …”

“Listen here, buzzer! I know you are trying to help, but this is not something you should get involved with. Stop pestering me about it already.”

“If you think she’s ugly, just say it! If you don’t find her race attractive, just let her know. This way, you’re only keeping her in suspense, and that’s very, very cruel. Just let her know what you truly think of her and set her free of this pointless torture!”

“It is not about the looks. It is not that simple and stupid. Us two getting involved would have serious consequences.”

“That’s nothing but an excuse! You know what, Jens? You look like the very example of strength and masculinity. But in reality, you’re the biggest coward I’ve ever met in my life! Scared of talking honestly with a girl … really …”

“If that is what you think, fine. I do not care.”

“Are you still bothering him about that?” Ira joined.

“It makes no sense!”

“Everything makes sense when you realize Jens is a cuck who would rather watch. But, bad jokes aside, he has good reasons to be careful.”

“Careful of what? Do you honestly think Snirba would harm him?”

“He knows things you do not. He is scared, and for a reason. The only problem is that he is masking his fear, pretending to care for Snirba, when in reality he is worried for himself.”

“You’re so full of shit, once again,” Jens responded.

“Also, he is one of those guys who cannot pick up social cues. Whenever he is on a diplomatic mission, timkik females fight to get his attention. Those girls are dropping cues everywhere, but he is too dumb to notice. Only when a girl sits on his dick will he realize she’s into him. And even then, he’ll wonder if that’s only because there are no other seats available.”

“I’m perfectly aware of social cues. I would not be a good ambassador otherwise. Unlike you, I know how to control my lust. That is why the females want my attention while they are running away from you for being a pervert.”

“You two are really taking it to the extreme,” Liri pointed out.

“I’m perfectly satisfied with how my life is going,” Jens said, “Ira is the one having issues.”

“Yes, I have issues for not being born two mitrs tall and having golden hair and blue eyes.”

“You can still work out.”

“There is no workout for your height! Or for having a feminine face!”

“Your face will get more masculine as you work out.”

“Will I get a wide jaw too?”

“What are you guys even talking about?”

“Ira is too lazy, so he is constantly blaming others for his problems.”

“I’m not! It’s no one’s fault that I’m short!”

“He always has an excuse for not trying to improve his situation. There is always some insurmountable obstacle in his way that is stopping him from changing anything in his life.”

“I just do not feel like wasting my time on things I cannot improve. I would rather work on things that pay off.”

“Like what?”

“Like doing my job well. Then I can pay females to give me what I want.”

Jens’ face twisted in disgust, but he said nothing.

“That’s actually a smart thing to do,” Liri agreed, “Although you’re not that ugly. Yes, your face isn’t as masculine as Jens’, and you’re shorter than the other human males here, but you’re still tall for a timkik. You’re taller than Mun-Hee.”

“She’s an Asian, so she does not count.”

“Why?”

“Her people are short.”

“There was that chajniz basketball player who was extremely tall. And I think the tallest person in our world is also Asian.”

“Sure, and there is that black guy who is an astrofizisist! Exceptions do not count.”

“Nothing that goes against your opinion counts apparently.”

“You do not get to point at an exception and claim that a rule is not valid! That is why the term ‘exception that proves the rule’ exists!”

“The truth is, Liri, he is everything he attributes to me. You are right, he is not ugly, but he is socially awkward. Especially with the ladies.”

“I only said that because you told me that first before. So you can see how it feels.”

“Ohh, did Ira’s fee-fees get hurt?”

“Of course! I have feelings too! I’m not a soulless creature!”

“Actually, you are,” Liri pointed out, “Well, you got that thing inside of you, so one could argue that you actually do have a soul, but the other humans don’t.”

“What do you mean?” Jens asked.

“Humans have no souls.”

“Huh?”

“Humans … have no souls.”

While those words confused Jens quite a bit, they had a completely different effect on Ira, energizing him.

“Wait, wait, wait … are you telling us that soul is a real thing here? Like, it is not a … figure of speech, but it is material.”

“It’s not material, but it does exist.”

“How do you know?”

“I’m a magical creature, duhh! I can feel it, and none of you have it. That should make you animals, but you certainly don’t look or act like it. That’s why I’m still here. You humans are very intriguing creatures.”

“Says a fairy with a bad sense of humor.”

“This soul … does it exist even after people die?” Jens asked.

“Of course! That’s the whole point! When mortals die, their souls ascend to a higher plane of existence. And from there, they can ascend to even higher ones. Or, if they have left something unfinished, they can reincarnate in this realm again, if the gods allow them to.”

“And none of us have a soul?”

“Ira has one, but it’s not his.”

That only confused Jens even more: “What do you mean, he has a soul but the rest of us not?”

“What, jealous?” Ira sneered with glee.

“His body trapped a dragon’s soul somehow. Where he even managed to find one is beyond me, but there’s no mistaking it. It’s not his soul, but I can feel it in his body.”

“She knows, Jens. We might as well tell her everything about it.”

“What about the higher-ups?”

“She already knows most of it. So we might at least be honest about the details. After all, we can always kill her if she starts acting stupid. Or are you worried she will put your heroic reputation in danger?”

6