Chapter 30
95 3 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Unlike the timkik Emperor, who eyed the human queen disinterestedly, the female advisor standing next to him got quite animated. She looked around nervously as if someone in the room would answer her unspoken questions.

“You know, replying to my greeting would be a courteous thing to do in this situation,” the queen complained without sounding irritated.

“I … our apologies …” the advisor answered, “We are just confused a little bit. Sir Jens said that he’ll be bringing his king with him.”

“No, I didn’t,” Jens said, “I said I’ll bring our ruler with me.”

“You used a male noun, sir.”

“Oh, did I? Then I apologize. My timkik tongue is far from perfect.”

“No, no, that’s perfectly fine. We were just surprised, thinking you didn’t live up to your word.”

“What, I don’t look like a queen?” The human queen put her hands on her hips this time, feigning offense in an obvious manner.

“No, no, you … you are quite magnificent, your highness,” the advisor tried to wiggle her way out of it, “Don’t you think so, your majesty?”

“Aye, I agree,” the Emperor said.

“Thank you, but I didn’t come here to be magnificent. I can do that in my own free time. As I understand, we have some very important business to discuss,” the queen said.

“Indeed, we do,” the Emperor agreed.

“However, we have to give you a proper reception first, your highness,” the advisor said, “I apologize for my blunder earlier. But worry not, we’ll more than make you up for it!”

---

So, after some formalities, the ball started. Everyone dispersed all over the palace, with the human queen and the timkik Emperor taking a seat in a secluded garden. Jens was next to his queen for quite some time so, as his escort, I had no choice but to listen to the royal advisor, who introduced herself as Rowena, apologizing profusely and trying her best to get on the human queen’s good side. However, she was clearly not well-versed in dealing with the females, and it was apparent to me that she wasn’t really getting anywhere. So, finally, she tried changing her tactics.

“The timkik female you have with you right here, is she the slave that was gifted to you, your highness?”

“Indeed, that’s her,” the queen responded, “I must say, she’s quite splendorous. She is a fine gift.”

“I’m glad you like her! Although, had we known that the human ruler is a female, we would’ve gifted you a male one instead. In fact, we can still do it, so why not?”

The queen extended her hand as if to stop Rowena from coming any closer: “Please, don’t. We don’t have slaves in our society, so we’re not used to trading and gifting people. I would feel bad if you’d give us your slaves, and we wouldn’t return the kind gesture. I don’t want you to think we’re ungrateful.”

“You don’t have slaves?”

“No, we don’t.”

“Then, who does the degrading work?”

“People who aren’t fit to do anything else. People’s roles in our society aren’t determined by their social status but by their skills. Yes, knowing influential people certainly helps, but what you know is far more important.”

“That’s so interesting! Our societies are so different, yet not in the ways that would put us at odds.”

“I understand that your society is also meritocratic, in a way.”

“Yes, it is! People can’t change their social status, but their performance determines their position in the class.”

“Hmm, that’s interesting. I thought your nobles can become slaves.”

“Yes, they can. But that’s very rare. A noble family has to make some serious blunders for that to happen. Becoming a slave is the only exception for changing one’s social status. After all, nobles are supposed to represent the very best in people. It’s only natural for them to face the consequences when they fail to uphold their burden.”

“And what is their burden?”

“They’re supposed to inspire the common folk. To be the best and brightest in everything. Only by doing so can the nobles earn the right to lead and manage others. Those who don’t uphold these virtues aren’t worthy of calling themselves nobles.”

“So, let’s say there is a commoner who is better at something than his noble. Would that endanger the mentioned noble somehow?”

“Hmm … it would certainly put a dent on his authority. After all, what is the purpose of a noble if commoners are seeking audience with the other commoners to solve their problems?”

“I’m curious. What is the reason behind not allowing some commoners to ascent to nobility? Just how we have a reason for allowing it, you must have a reason for being against it.”

“It’s divine in nature. People are assigned their roles before they’re even born in our world. Therefore, no matter how capable, a commoner can never truly be like a noble. Actually … now that I think of it, that’s not the case in a literal sense. You see, as I understand, your society is extremely individualistic, while our society sees individuals as just yet another part of their lineage. So, while a commoner can rise above his station and learn how to act and behave in a noble way, the same won’t be true for his children. Our society isn’t guided by exceptions but by the rules. An exceptional individual is nothing but a feint in the grand scheme of things. This is illustrated by the fact that, while a commoner can raise his family to nobility through his exceptional actions, his descendants will eventually bring it down to where it belongs. So it’s better not to upset the balance and keep it as it is. That way, there’s less chance that something will go terribly wrong.”

“So, are you afraid of change?”

“That’s… that doesn’t apply to timkiks only. You see, our world has nothing but painful memories of change. It was never for the better. Whenever something big happens, our world changes for the worse. How is it in your world? Have you ever had a change for the better?”

“We had our fair share of changes for the worse, some even bringing us close to extinction, but positive changes are far more common. That’s why we aren’t afraid of letting commoners ascent to nobility. Even if their children won’t be as capable as they were, someone else will rise up to the challenge.”

“You sound very hopeful for the future, your highness,” Rowena tried her best to give a fake smile, but her skepticism got the better of her.

“Of course I am. That’s why I’m here. I’m not here because I think the portal will bring us misery. I’m here because I’m certain our people will get along. I’d be putting my life at risk otherwise. That being said, don’t you think our arrival into this world will bring change? Are you afraid of that change too?”

Rowena eyed the queen uncertainly as her ears lowered a bit: “That’s… you’ve given us no reason to be afraid so far.”

That drew an amused grunt out of the Emperor.

“She got you there,” he finally spoke in a deep but low voice.

“I’m just trying to understand you better, so our people can build a meaningful relationship,” the queen continued, turning her head towards the Emperor, “Also, I don’t want to sound disrespectful, but don’t you think it’s rude to let your advisor do all the talking? Not to mention that some skeptical people would get an impression that she’s in charge. Now, I don’t know if that’s how politics are done here in Greadinall, so forgive me if I sound arrogant or ignorant, but I’d expect the Emperor to be more involved in the conversation. Especially considering how impactful today’s meeting will be.”

The Emperor smiled weakly: “How old are you, human queen?”

“In your years, it would be some … sixteen years old?”

Tired Emperor’s eyes bulged at that: “Sixteen?”

“That’s… sorry to say, but that is hard to believe, your highness,” Rowena said.

“Humans mature very quickly by your standards.”

“How did you become a queen in sixteen years?” The Emperor asked, “What about your mother?”

“Your majesty,” Rowena inserted herself, “as you probably know, human titles aren’t hereditary.”

“Ah yes, I forgot. What in the world did you have to do to become a queen at sixteen years old?”

“You mean, what did I have to achieve?”

“Yes. I meant no disrespect.”

“I will reveal that on some other occasion. I’ll just say that my young age only proves my capabilities. I was more capable at fourteen years old than the elders are in their hundreds. However, that’s nothing but empty boasting. It will make sense once you witness my capabilities yourselves. That will show you I’m fit for the role. But why are you letting your advisor talk instead of you?”

The Emperor let out a tired sigh: “You and I are the exact opposites. While you’re young and full of life, I’m old and tired. I’m at the age where everything is dull.”

“How old are you, if you don’t mind me asking?”

“I’m not really sure. I stopped counting after a thousand years.”

Now it was time for the human eyes to bulge.

“His majesty is exactly eleven hundred and thirty-seven years old,” Rowena added.

“Timkiks aren’t supposed to live that long, as far as I’m aware of,” Jens said.

“No, we aren’t. But magic has increased my lifespan drastically.”

“That’s very interesting,” the queen said while stroking her chin absently.

“Are you interested in increasing yours?” The Emperor grinned knowingly.

“Who wouldn’t be?”

“As someone who has experience with it, let me tell you that you shouldn’t go beyond twice your usual age. The gods have made us mortal for a good reason.”

“Life gets dull?”

“Not really. You can always spice it up, even though spices are no longer effective as they used to be. Living is tiresome when you become old. Even talking is tiresome. That’s why I have Rowena do the talking for me. That being said, there was a brief moment when I got energized and allowed myself to get my hopes up. When Rowena told me some adventurers found a portal to the other world, I finally felt alive again. Finally, something new and exciting has happened. But then we realized there’s no way for us to cross to the other side and that we’ve achieved nothing but waste a mountain of gold. But, luckily, you showed up.”

“Then … pardon me for asking, I’m just genuinely curious. But, if life is so hard for you, then why don’t you just let it go?”

“I can’t. I can’t leave my lineage as it is. I can’t afford the afterlife with how things are. You’re probably unaware of it, but I’m the one who started the war with hosagians. I’m the one responsible for how things are right now. I was young and way too eager … just like you. So I dragged my people into the things I couldn’t foresee. I can’t go beyond without restoring the things to how they used to be and making my peace with it.”

“And that’s why I’m here,” the queen said, sipping a little bit of wine from the golden chalice in her hand.

“And that’s why you’re here.”

“Well … if that’s how things are, then how about we start right away? I must say, this wine is quite delicious, so delicious that I’m worried I’ll let my guard down and it will start affecting the decisions I’m about to make. I appreciate your hospitality, but we can have our fun after we’re done with the business.”

The Emperor’s ears twitched with genuine amusement this time: “All right. Rowena, go and call the others! Let’s get the job done first!”

 

6