Coincidence?
5 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the modern-day world, the machine's thorns tangled the impoverished in a bloody scheme, one that sucked the life out of them in exchange for a few coins. The loud cry for utopia echoed in their heads only, but once their feet touched the ground a fresh breath was all they could wish for.

Even children begged for their life, selling their tiny bodies for the steel creed, a religion of selfishness and impossible ambition that these poor souls were never aware of, and no matter how these men and women gave their life for this tainted cause, their grandchildren fell under the wheels just like their predecessors.

Human's worst enemy has always- and will always be- their ambitions

//Anomaly.

In old crumbling house in the suburbs of Ilusia, an old man named Jackson in his sixties sat down on a wooden chair. With a pencil in his hands and under a faltering lamp light, he took a deep breath as he looked at his empty messy bed, the one that felt colder than an iceberg. It was time for him to write down what only the papers can withstand. His thoughts were like a self-destructive grenade that might rob him of this life, on the fresh new notebook he had stolen from his office in Milasic's industries. He began pouring down the flood of tense feelings and tangled thoughts letting them eventually draw an image of what his eyes saw the last two years.

"I realize I'm old. My eyes aren't as sharp as they were, even my legs can no longer carry me." He wrote down and stopped for a second, he sighed as if he felt burdened by the entire world, the pen in his hand felt heavy and the papers felt as thick as stone, but, with every word he wrote, he felt the pain lessen. Jackson was the vital part of the puzzle, and the papers he filled daily were a treasure concerning the mystery of the blackout, because unlike Merit, Jackson does remember.

The old man rested his head on his palm, his words has filled three papers already, his heart feels lighter, his mind has let go of these crowded thoughts only to finally let his consciousness slip into tranquility after a long day of work, the moon had given him a chance to energize his old tired body for another day of repetitive paperwork that could last for a eternity and a puzzling incident that has been repeating itself for almost two years now.

It was a new day, a different one yet felt the same as the one before. The heavier Merit's heart feels, the slower her steps gets. All these illuminated houses in the middle of the night made her feel more lonesome, more estranged and more detached. Merit was drunk by poisonous thoughts, ones that she thought they would eventually devour her completely. She was aware she had something so small inside, but that thing fed on her anger, on her sorrow and loneliness, each day it grew stronger and bigger, but Merit still kept her innocence intact for the sake of her precious dreams, the ones she haven't lost yet.

She had already decided to visit Ross, an old acquaintance who Forger worked with. Rossland was the only one that wouldn't harm Merit as he owed it to Forger. The two were comrades in the past, and Merit occasionally visited Ross after she became homeless but refused his invitations to stay. Rossland was a unique man with a mindset that could drive this world fifty years in the future, but he was also a fugitive with a criminal record that prohibited him from practicing his craft, artificial intelligence.

Merit could clearly remember where his workshop was, he had a vast place with tons of cameras and unusual machines she never understood their function. Merit remembered Mr. Forger's trip to the upper area and how she used to accompany him in delight, but she snapped right out of her daydreaming once she stumbled on memories of Eleanor Street, the one where Ross' workshop was.

Although it was almost ten o'clock in the morning, the street was calm, the workshop's sign was half broken and the light was stuttering, the wooden door was half open and there seemed to be no light inside, Merit slowly slipped in.

It wasn't dark; instead, the lights were all red. A strong scent of ink and smoke arose from the inside, Merit was familiar with the nature of the place, she took the stairs down, "Mr. Ross..?" She called for him, a sound of screeching and noise could be heard from where she was. She went down and finally found the old man.

A reddish room with hundreds of cameras hanging from the ceiling, each one is a different type. Inactive robots were placed over each other in front of a large screen, the old man had a bent back yet moved with elasticity and energy, he wore a gray overall and held some unusual metallic parts in his hands. Once he heard Merit's voice, he moved his head in amusement as he recognized that soft young voice. A warm smile was drawn on that wrinkled light brown face, a welcome echoed through the vast workshop's speakers, the ones Ross programmed himself long ago.

"My dear little Meredith!" He joyfully said as he dropped the metallic pieces in his hands, "How come you've forgotten about me all that long! Look at you! A beautiful lady now" Ross cheered.

"Don't lie to me old man, I'm still fourteen years old and I look like a sad rat." Merit frowned, refusing the compliments she deemed as illusive.

"You have your way with words young one, come, come inside, let's have a warm drink!"Ross invited Merit in.

Merit followed Ross into a small room in the basement which was in fact a kitchen, the lights were yellow and her eyes finally felt good. The kitchen was in a mess, Ross was a lonely man, his wife died ten years ago in a protest against Antherford's decision to ban workers from creating robots outside the factories, Ross never fell in love again with a woman, in fact, the entire workshop has pictures of her all over the walls and tables. He valued the precious face of his beloved one and preserved it for his heart before his eyes.

Ross made Merit a warm chocolate milk drink, her grumpy face smiled and laughed excitedly as a child her age would. As she took few sips from the drink she would feel that she's drinking memories and feelings, the sweet taste and the warmth isolated the feelings of disturbance and fear she had the other day, Ross truly helped her.

"It tastes so sweet! I love it" Merit smiled and thanked him as she sat on a tall chair with her tiny legs hanged in the air, "You know I'll always make you one when you come, now tell me, are you just visiting your old man? Or it there's a trouble behind that smiley face?" Ross asked, he changed his tone into a serious one, he was determined to know how Merit's life was at that point.

"Well, I do have a trouble ..." She sighed, she held her bag and took out the camera she had, put it on the table and looked right into Ross' eyes.

"Look, look at the photos inside it! I never took them. There was that picture of a weird guy, guess what? He was after me."Merit explained.

Ross' examined it for a few seconds, but as he tries to turn it on he failed, he sighed and looked back at Merit. "It needs a battery; you didn't have a battery before, Merit." He continued.

"What? How?! I just looked at the photos myself, in fact, I used it last night, I-" Merit's confusion grew even more.

"Look, see for yourself" Ross interrupted her as he opened the battery's location to find it empty, Merit's eyes widened and her hands became sweaty, she was in a shock, the unexplained event occurred once more, things too complicated for her little mind to understand.

"That camera is stolen, isn't it?" Ross said, scolding her in a strict manner as if he was her father.

"I have a house of cameras yet you steal such a garbage one.. I'm disappointed." He continued. "It needs a special type of batteries, ones you can find in my shop in Steamhall, are you willing to go? Or should we drop this absurd subject already?" He said.

"If that's it, I'll go, and I'll show you. I told you, the guy is trying to hurt me!" Merit explained, "You apparently stole his camera, sometimes you act stupid when you are very smart." Ross eyed Merit in a disappointed manner to which she reacted by snatching the camera and jumping of the chair. Ross' words did make sense, but the emotions she had towards these images can't be explained, and the sudden disappearance of the battery was an indication of something far behind her understanding.

"As stubborn as Forger..I'm not saying I don't believe you, but isn't so far-fetched to believe a man from an image in a camera is chasing you for any other reason other than wanting it?"

"I know! But I stole the camera before the date of the images, its like I am the one who took them!" Merit replied in a convincing tone, she was determined to erase that suspicious look in Ross' eyes, it was already decided, she's leaving for Steamhall again.

The drink grew colder, Merit smile faded away as he put the camera back in her bag, "Wait here old man, I'll be back by tomorrow." She said as wore her bag, and she quickly decided to leave the kitchen, Ross stopped her and called her into the reddish room before she leaves.

"Take this; I want you to be safe." He said, he fetched for something in a drawer beneath the cameras and robots, he then reached out for Merit's hand, opened it and handed it to her.

"This is Mechi , he'll be your companion, take care of him, and you Mechi, take care of her." Ross said.

Ross ordered Merit to look at it as Merit opened her hand to find a small robot figure with small eyes starring at her, Merit opened her mouth and looked at Ross, "Is that a real one..?" She asked excitedly, quickly having her disturbed emotions turn into a positive ones, "Yes, Mechi will be your eyes, hide him in your bag while you're in the upper area, He's very useful. And ..Talkative!"

Mechi was as small as the size of Merit's hand. He had a shiny neon eyes and glimmered in silver coating, he was an intelligent being who was sold long ago for people in the streets normally, but Milasic stopped trading them and soon took them off the market and went as far as arresting all those who manufactured them. Merit looked at him and knew already she has a new friend, a one that looked at her with purity human eyes rarely had towards her, it was time to leave.

"I'll be back tomorrow, thanks for the drink and Mechi! I'll pay you back one day!" Merit said excitedly as she investigated the tiny robot she had in her palm.

"No need to. You already did." Ross waved goodbye to her.

//Coincidence.

It was twelve o'clock in the afternoon already, In Milasic industries sales department by the liberation square, Jackson sat down drowning in his desk waiting for the lunch break, when realized it was time, he dropped his pen and grabbed his bag, he has already decided what he will do in the next forty minutes.

He found comfort in writing; it held back the pain of loss and the continuous feeling of detachment. He had his diary and some money in his bag, enough for him to go grab a pie and a drink. His bag was small enough that he carried it beneath his arm just like most old men do, he wouldn't deny his age anymore and accepted how he instinctively acted in situations. He walked four minutes to the bakery, with each step, he would slowly drown into daydreaming and lucid memories would appear in each corner in the street, it hurts, but it also made him remember what he used to be and what he stood for, what he wished for and what he achieved.

Pain was inevitable in his situation. Jackson knew something all of those people around him never knew, and he acted as oblivious as they are to keep his life. It made his life unbearable and almost drove him into insanity until he found clarity in his confusion.

In one of the corners of the street by the bakery, a sinister look was given to him by a man, a one he could recognize completely, a one with a black hat and a black coat with a silver eagle brooch on his shoulder.

The crowded street veiled him away from Jackson, but Jack's heart felt heavy. Could it be one of these times again? Is it one of his old mind games where he appears just to tease his victim? He stood still starring at the crowded street, and as he did, a light hand grabbed that bag right from beneath his arm, to his surprise; he turned around, "Thief!" He shouted, but that person already slipped into the crowds and disappeared, no one patted an eye, he was left broken-hearted, his day was over before it started, and his leisure was stolen from him, his joy escaped far away along with that thief.

The thief was a happy one, grabbing the bag in the middle of a hidden alley and opening it, "Look, he has some money for a ticket" They cheered. Jackson failed to catch the thief and turned around to find the man in the black hat fade as well. His heart ached at the conspiracy they played on him.

"Everything is decided. Everything is planned. All we did was delay the inevitable" laughed the man in the black hat observing the scene, from another corner, coincidence?

1