Chapter 3: Annoyance
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Warmonger was having a bad day, which is something she normally doesn't have. She was sitting in the Clark, the designated resting place for the arena fighters. Why it was called Clark, she doesn't know. She doesn't care enough to find out yet the question is always on the back of her mind. The reason why she was having a bad day was due to something stupid as a feeling. She just felt like tomorrow was going to be the start of something...and her intuitions are usually right. In fact, they have almost never been wrong. Another reason is that today there was no fighting. No plans for the arena today. In other words, it was an off day. Normally, she wouldn't care this much but currently, she has found herself feeling bored. In the beginning, she spent her time thinking about things and enjoying a well-deserved rest. Trying what those monks called meditation. However, that was years ago. She can't stand doing it anymore. Maybe a little every now and then but most definitely not today. 

She had a feeling that her problem had to do with the light blond-haired girl she has been seeing the past couple of days. She has seen her once before. It was during a day when there was no violent fighting so she was never brought out. It was also during the time when she was called Warmonger. When the previous announcer retired, the new one decided to call her Cruel Knight. She could tell the crowd didn't particularly like it at first but soon warmed up to it. He wasn't wrong. She was cruel and she enjoys playing with her opponents...or prey. Anyway, she saw her hiding behind Grillant. She figured she was a noble or maybe even a princess. This was confirmed yesterday when she saw Grillant come to talk to her. That and she recognized the banners of the royal guards. They changed their outfit a couple of years after she was captured and she never figured out which outfit they wore. She was now positive that the girl she saw is in fact, a princess. She also got a good chuckle when the princess noticed the extra set of guards and pulled a knife on Grillant. Of course, the execution was all wrong but it was the thought that counts.

'Not as weak-minded as I thought she was, or at least in certain aspects. She's still no warrior.'

She knew that the princess has been watching her for a while. She can't seem to get why someone like her would be interested in her. She was a pampered sheltered princess who clearly dislikes violence. Warmonger could see the princess flinch or look sick, sometimes both, when someone dies. Something about her disturbed face made Warmonger want her to see more. So, every now and then when she could and felt like it, she would kill someone in a, particularly gruesome way. Still, she saw the princess as an annoyance more than anything. She knows tangling with royalty was just going to end badly for her in her current situation. 

Besides, she hated people like the princess who spout on about peace without considering the death that will either come to them if they are unprepared or the number of lives that must be taken for said peace. Still, as long as the princess is just an observer, she shouldn't be a problem. If the princess has beef with her then she can suck it up. The king knows that without her, they don't stand much of a chance at holding off the enemies' forces until their allies arrive. He also knows that despite imprisoning her, Warmonger will still fight for the kingdom.

Warmonger let out a sigh, leaning back further on the wall she was sitting on. Her sword was jut into the ground next to her. She couldn't care to go to her bed and decided to sleep in the open. The people here knew not to try and attack her in her sleep. The guards were told to trust her so she always got away with killing them if they tried.

 

--------

 

Princess Isalene was planning on breaking the news to her father over dinner...but now that she was at said dinner, she found it difficult to break the news to him. The worst part is that her father knew she was nervous. He kept giving her occasionally supportive glances, or at least what he thinks is supportive. It is actually having the opposite effect on her. She didn't want to see his smile fade. So the diner went on in silence.

'I'm going to have to tell him here. I know he is busy after dinner.'

Isalene let out a small sigh, prepping herself silently. Before she could speak, her father beat her to it. 

"Isalene, what's wrong? You look worried."

Isalene thought of how to tell him that she has chosen her new personal guard. She knows that he most definitely knows about Warmonger. How could he not? He was still king during the Great Wars after all. But, Isalene was determined. She won't give up! Her curiosity won't allow her to. So, she took a deep breath, looked her father right in the eyes, and told him,

"I have chosen who I want to be my personal guard, but they aren't on the list."

Isalene's father seemed surprised but not angry, which was a good thing for her.

"Oh. Well, who is it? Can they actually fight?"

"Yes. I've watched them for a while now just to be sure. They are already better than all the knights you gave me on the list."

The King and Queen met each other's eyes for a moment.

"Say, what's this man's name?" Isalene's mother asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Her name is Warmonger."

The moment Isalene said that name, her father spit out the coffee he was drinking. Her mother and two older brothers looked surprised at that. Isalene had a feeling none of them knew who Warmonger was.

"W-Warmonger...The Warmonger with the Varasikara?" Isalene's father asked once he recovered from his slight coughing fit.

"The what?" Isalene asked. She has never heard of that before.

"The weapon that can transform into a halberd."

"Oh! So that's what her sword is called."

The King put a hand on his head and started muttering to himself. The Queen got up and walked over to him.

"Honey, what is going on? Who is Warmonger?" She asked in a slightly panicked voice. 

"Warmonger is a war criminal who was charged with prolonging the Kingdom's involvement in the Great Wars. A dangerous and cruel knight who takes pleasure in killing."

The Queen whirled around at that and met Isalene's determined gaze.

"You want someone who is not only a criminal but a dangerously cruel one as your own personal guard!?"

Isalene only nodded. Even her brothers were surprised at that. Normally when she was getting yelled at or sternly talked to she would become meek. This time, however, she wasn't meek. They could sense the determination within her.

"Well, I forbid it." Isalene's mother told her.

"B-but father hasn't told you everything about her, right father?" Isalene said in a rather panicked tone, realizing she was losing this. The King let out a sigh but talked anyway.

"Warmonger, Sharia, is also the greatest warrior our kingdom has ever seen. She's one of the reasons we won the wars in the first place. She wasn't executed and is more treated as an honorable prisoner despite what she did. However, Isalene...I'm sure you know this since you've been watching her but are you sure you want someone so violent as your bodyguard? You hate violence."

Isalene nodded.

"I can't get her out of my head. I need to know more about her and the only way to do that is to get her as my personal guard."

Her father shook her head. Her voice was full of determination and he knew that once her curiosity gets the better of her, it is better to let it go than try and resist it. Besides, he can't kill Sharia. No. She was far too valuable. Besides, her master can pretty much single-handly destroy his kingdom if she wants to. You don't earn the title of Apostle Of War by doing nothing. Plus, this might be a chance to make sure Sharia stays loyal to the Kingdom...but it is still so risky.

He looked up and met Isalene's determined unwavering gaze before letting out a sigh.

"Let me talk it over with your mother and my advisor."

Isalene felt her eyes go wide and she let out a happy shrill noise, barely able to hold in her excitement.

'I've Done It!'

 

....Meanwhile, a certain Warmonger suddenly felt a shiver run down their spine. They opened their eyes, their hand already on their sword. Once they saw that no one was there, they let out a sigh.

'Why do I have the feeling something bad has happened?'

Varasikara means Warseeker in Punjabi.

0