Chapter 9- For The Better, or The Worst
21 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

WAR COUNCIL LOTUS GARDEN

The atmosphere was tense.

The Qua-Toynian Royal Assembly had finally gathered itself into its war council, leaving its politics aside as they now fought for the survival of their nation, and mainly, themselves.

They prepared for the worst. The Lourian Army had broken through their first line, and now it was time for them to receive such similar news from the naval front.

But what they heard was the complete opposite of what was to be expected.

Every individual seated at the council was left in awe, as they received the initial findings of the report prepared by the Naval Attache whom they had attached to one of the Indian Navy vessels, which was involved in The Battle of The Rodenius Sea.

Breweye steadied himself as he stood in front of the council. He was still a very junior officer in the Navy and had almost next to no experience with dealing with the government. He lacked both the requisite etiquette and the diplomatic language to allow himself to navigate through the choppy waters of the Royal Assembly.

He was someone who never imagined himself to be in such a place, with the most influential and significant individuals who were leading his country in such trying times, and his words would guide these people to make decisions that would essentially change the course of the history of his nation.

Yet, there was a nagging feeling in his gut, that despite how accurately and more detailed he could explain what happened during the battle, no one in the council would believe anything that he would describe.

It was up to him to convince the council of his findings, given how otherworldly everything appeared to him as he stood, visuals of how the Lourian Navy fleet disappeared still playing in the back of his mind. 

“And this resulted in nearly one thousand five hundred Lorian vessels, along with nearly two hundred wyverns, being neutralized by the Indian Forces, with our navy capturing their Admiral after the battle.”

As his words slowly rested in the minds of his listeners, the council members were in such a state that they could only whisper amongst each other, quickly discussing how this could be possible, the implications of what had happened, and whether something else was not at play. 

One council member spoke up, having gathered themselves enough to raise a question.

“How could this be? For such a small flotilla of naval vessels from these Indians. You mean to tell us that their metal birds did all of this!” Other members nodded at what was being told, as they struggled with disbelief.

“So thirty percent of the Lorian fleet was wiped out in a single battle, with next to no Indian losses. What sort of fantasy is this?”

Some of the more skeptical council members struggled to believe this. There was no precedent in history where one side which was massively numbered was able the rout a numerically superior force, without a single loss.

They could no help but question how the Indians did not suffer any losses in such a large battle against a completely overwhelming force. 

“The ship I was on, the Mysore, was something they called a destroyer. It went head-on and crushed a Lourian Vessel in a ramming maneuver when it challenged its path.” Breweye wanted to ensure that they knew the details of what had occurred. It might not be as good as the real thing, but it was good enough for them.

“Arrows, Harpoons, Cannons! Nearly everything in their arsenal was fired onto that ship. Any ship we have would have long met the icy depths of the ocean, yet that ship, only the color of the paint on it was scratched off. There was even a dent where the cannon hit it!” The faces of the council varied, some were engrossed in what he was saying, others in distrust, and the more experienced had no expression.

“Even our navy was deployed to this battle, and they witnessed the aftermath! If you do not believe me, ask the commander of our fleet. Even he can verify what I have explained.” Breweye had a mix of emotions boiling in him, which could not easily be understood.

Prime Minister Kanata, who was barely reviewing the paper report, was also silently listening to what Breweye reported to them.

He felt that Breweye had guts, no one else could casually say such things, and that Junior Officer used another authority to vouch for him. A useful officer he could use one day.

He then finally spoke up, “Regardless of what the Indians claim with their casualty count, or how a flotilla of their vessels battled with the Lorian Navy, all we have to recognize is that the Louria has been beaten back now.”

The council which was filled with the voices of various sentiments, now agreed with what their Prime Minister was saying. Authenticity can come later, now they have to deal with the threat at hand.

"With the Naval front essentially secure, assuming that the Lorians are not mentally lacking enough to understand they cannot face such heavy losses again, we have time to create solutions for them on the water, but now, we must not forget they have an army in our lands, Minister of Military Affairs, I shall hand over the responsibility of explaining to you." 

“Thank you, Prime Minister.” The Minister spoke, as he stood up.

“Gim, and all the land west of it, has fallen to the Lourian Forces. As we speak, there is an estimate that there are more than five thousand of their soldiers in our land, and rumors have it that they are going to push half a million soldiers of their army in an attempt to wipe us out.” 

The council room had an uncomfortable silence, as the grimness of the situation had finally hit him. It was bad enough when they did not know how many Lourians there were, but this was worse than they initially expected.

“We have called upon levies to fill the ranks of our armed forces, but we cannot have much hope for them to even deal with the advance force of the Lourians. They will need at least seven days of training to even be somewhat combat effective.” The Minister of Military Affairs continued, ignoring the others.

Prime Minister Kanata then stood up, knowing what he had to say to turn the situation around, with everyone in the council room focusing on what he had to say.

“Gentlemen and women, the situation is grave, and we are not winning this war with no help. I know what is on your mind and do not wish to say, but I believe that the Lourian nation has received external help, very much likely from one of the so-called civilized nations.” Kanata paused as he sipped a glass of water, and the council member discussed this as well.

“Regardless of how many losses the Indians suffered, we cannot ignore the fact that they have routed the Lourian navy, and we all have had glimpses of their technological prowess. We must request their aid on the ground if we wish to stand a chance at surviving this war as a free nation.”

The council room went into chaos, with many ministers angry about what they had just heard, with various voices being heard with no proper and clear source of such. Their pride played in, with no one wanting to seem a coward, especially with the royalty in their presence.

“We do not need them!”

“We can fight the Lourian scum with our power!”

“Ejei stands strong, and shall fight back!”

Kanata stood disgusted, looking at how his council was not cooperative with his decision. He had already requested for the Indians to help him, and he knew that they were on their way. However, his council’s pride and ego outweighed the need to preserve their nation against its hostile forces.

Feeling anger, he slammed his hands into the table, taking the council by surprise having done something opposite of his personality. Sitting down immediately, an awkward silence spread through the Locus garden, only interrupted by the sounds of nature. 

No one wanted to utter a word at that moment, as the slow realization of what they were doing set in. Rather than planning on how to win the war, they were arguing over useless matters, while the Lourians pushed on forward.

That was until one assistant approached the Foreign Minister, providing him with a report, and whispered in the minister’s ear. The minister’s facial expression changes to surprise before it returns to a more neutral expression. 

“Prime Minister, I might have some good news for you.” He said as he stood up.

Kanata, exhausted with what was going on, just muttered, “What is it?”

“The Indians have sent us a message. They have informed us they are moving fifteen thousand soldiers immediately to retake Gim, and that they are ready to support our war effort.” The foreign minister announced it to the council room.

Kanata, hearing this, felt some relief. This was the first time he had heard good news without any drawbacks for their nation.

Now, all that he wondered was, how the future of the world was going to change due to his decision, whether for the better, or the worst.

Port Town of Maihark

The long march had begun.

Sharkun, Vice Admiral and Former Commander of the Lourian Eastern Subjugation fleet was now being paraded around as a trophy.

Just a few days ago, he was a well-respected Admiral, on express track to getting a promotion, with his orders being a rather simple deal.

Now, all he could wonder was, why to accept this task.

His sophisticated uniform, made from the finest imported [nation name] fabric, decorated with medals earned from his years of service and jewelry he had adorned on his crisp uniform was all replaced with…..

Rags.

The only thing that had him stick out as a Vice Admiral was the hat he still had on his head.

The Qua-Toynian Navy did not treat him well, as the commoners manning those ships tore away at what he wore, all of his hard work, all gone with hands groping for any valuable that could be pulled off.

The missing boot which was on his left foot was obvious, as shooting pain went up his leg. Something small impaled the sole of his foot, but he could not take a moment's rest.

He was, in fact, the prisoner, and the March of Shame continued. 

Never before in his life had he imagined this to happen to him. The hardships he faced as a young officer in the Navy could not be compared to this.

Never before had he felt this humiliated, and afraid…. Never had he felt this afraid in his life before, even facing the monsters of the depths did not have him suffer this type of fear which afflicted him.

He was being paraded in the streets of Maihawk.

The same city his fleet was supposed to raid and destroy… but now, here he was, paraded in this port city, to the amusement and jeers of the city's inhabitants, all wishing to witness this event.


He kept his head down.

He could not even dare look up. The fear in him could not allow him to, as hundreds of murderous gazes were pointed at him.

He is not the cause of this, he was yet to even harm a single fly belonging to Qua-Tonye, yet many Maiharkians wanted to disembowel him alive, make rats eat his flesh alive, and have insects feast on his innards. 

All because news of what Adem had done had reached the ears of the people of this city. Such brutality was done, that the people wanted to take their anger out on some object, and he was the (not so) lucky one to face this.

“Kill them!”

“Hang them!”

“Feed them to the dogs!”

“Hang them from their guts!”

“Skin the bastards!”

Sharkun could hear all kinds of shouts hurled at them. What stopped them from ripping him and his men apart? He did not have an answer even for himself.

His throat was parched, and his legs strained itself with every step he took. His body quivered, as a young elf's voice could be distinctly heard from the crowd.

“Take that you scum!” Sharkun felt and smelt what hit him before he could realize what just happened.

A brownish sludge dripped from his body, and its smell was intolerable. He did not know what it was and did not want to know, as he retched yet continuing forward.

He just could not comprehend what was going on, exhausted from the long march, as the crowd dissolved into a frenzy, with objects from rotten items to rocks being hurled at them. 

He and his fellow men tried in vain to shield themselves, as they faced the abuse hurled at them. One of his men crumpled to the ground, as someone out of the crowd came out of nowhere and punched the man. A group of them surrounded the man throwing punches and kicks.

Even he got hit, and he fell to his knees. Is this how he was going to die? Lynched by an angry mob in a foreign land?

He heard the distinct crack of a gun firing nearby, as the crowd quickly dispersed as quickly as they mobbed them all.

Looking towards the source of such, he saw an unlikely man standing out, with a few others dressed similarly.

Weird combinations of dark colors in random patterns were in their dress, seemingly their uniforms. They did not carry swords or any weapon he was familiar with, but some sort of long black staff. 

His vision was blurry, and his head felt like it was going to fall off his body. He knew he couldn’t afford to collapse. The horse would drag him to death if he did.

He pulled himself up, every muscle in his body screamed at him. One step was all he could take before he could even understand that he was now face-first in the dirt.

“Isko Utao Aur Gaadi Me Dalke le jao yaha see.”

As his vision faded away, all that he could hear from the strange men, unable to resist, as his mind embraced the warmth of the void.

Maihark Air Base

“Urgh! This sand is getting everywhere!” Keishing Temjen Ao spat out onto the tarmac, a frown fully impressed on his face, as he continued.

“Why do we have to get concerned with the primitives fighting amongst each other? We could just let it all play out and then take it to our advantage!” He kicked on a pebble on the ground, watching it skid away.

“And who do you think is going to lead them when their leaders are dead?” Trilochan Singh spoke up, flanking the young pilot.

“Hey, do you think I know?” Ao looked around, looking for where their aircraft were.

“What do you even know? I thought you had more brains in that head of yours.”  Trilochan let out in a sarcastic tone, mocking his friend’s idea.

“I enlisted to kill more Chinese, not come to some sort of fantasy land to bomb some randoms into oblivion.” Ao shrugged, casting a glance at his wingman, who had a grin on his face.

“We are at war now, there is nothing we can do. I would be much happier if it was just China or Pakistan, but it is what it is.” Trilochan’s voice had an edge to it, as they walked forward.

Dirt from the runway blew over the duo, as another transport aircraft landed. Less than an actual runway, and more of a prepared dirtway, Maihaw Airforce Station was not built to handle the sheer amount of traffic it received.

It would take at least a whole year to have it built up to the Airforce’s standards, but with the war having broken out between Louria and Qua-Tonye, what was present had to be made do with.

“But you do have a fair point Temjen, the quotes military should not be disintegrating at such a speed.” Trilochan looked towards the makeshift hangers, which were set up to house their aircraft.

“See! Now you are getting it.” Ao had a happy expression plastered on his face, as he spoke.

“And you tell me that these Lourians were able to amass hundreds of fighting ships, and thousands of soldiers and mobilize their people, and the qutees were oblivious to all of this, and did not mobilize at the first sign of trouble.”

“What are you implying?”

“That the leaders of Qutees wanted this to happen. They wanted to test us out, as they found a strong ally in us, and wanted to test our resolve in helping our allies, and figure out our strength at the same time.”

Trilochan did not immediately reply, as they continued towards the hangers.

“So, you are telling me that they are retarded?” He asked, confused by what Ao wanted to mean.

“Indeed! Now you get it!” Ao pointed his thumbs up, as they arrived at the hangars.

The airbase was now a temporary home to the Battle Axes, which now had to fly missions supporting the theatre alongside naval aviation.

The two men stepped inside the hangars, lit by the sunlight light. In front of them stood two Mirage 2000Hs waiting to be flown. These were the same type used by the Air Force to drop PGMs in the mountains, at altitudes higher than 15,000 feet.

Ao walked towards his aircraft to inspect it, peeking below to observe what hung from its pylons, only to loudly gasp in horror.

“What is wrong?” Trilochan rushed forward, wondering what happened, and praying that there was no alien stuck on the aircraft, seeing that his wingman gasped in such a manner.

“It is a dumb bomb!”

Trilochan felt like a nerve deep in his brain was going to burst in his head, from how annoyed he was feeling by Ao’s behavior.

“I am sure that your excellency can work with just that since we could just be bombing some primitives back to retreating to their caves?” He responded, annoyance present on his face.

“Indeed, you have an excellent point!” Ao got a swift kick to the ass, as a response to his statement.

The two fighters were loaded with eight MK-82 general purpose bombs, that weight around five hundred pounds each. There were two Magic 2 missiles were also loaded on the outer pylons of the aircraft. 

The Mirage 2000’s ballistic computer lacked the capability to have a complete multirole capability, either allowing a pure A2A loadout, or an A2G loadout, which would only equip a single type of munition, unable to have different weapons at the same time.

While low-altitude bombing was the doctrine they were trained with, the situation they were in allowed for high-altitude flight, to strike targets with impunity with no risk towards themselves.

“Look, the only threat we have is a flying animal, and some medieval-looking people with swords and bows for weapons,” Trilochan spoke, rubbing his head wondering when his wingman would grow up.

“And what if the missile does not lock?”

“We have guns for a purpose, oh god…” Trilochan pressed his head when presented with such a question.

“I know, I know, I am just pulling your leg. You should see your face when I do.” Ao slapped Trilochan’s shoulder, not wanting to piss off his friend.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah, sure.” Trilochan’s eyes were focused towards the runway, as they could observe a field gun being towed out of the transport plane.

“Looks like the exercise with the army worked out, they are unloading there at record speed.” He continued to observe, as some army and airmen were unloading pallets.

“And that's whom we would be supporting, I suppose?” Ao also looked towards the runway, as a small unit of army paratroopers exited the aircraft in full battle gear.

“Hmm.” Trilochan started to walk out, with Ao following him from behind.

“You know what the commander said, the skies are clear, and the Lournians have nothing to counter us except for some flying animals.”

“Shooting monkey in a barrel huh.”

“Indeed, shooting monkey in a barrel…”

 
 
 
1