7 | Rescue
369 1 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Vadde’s first encounter with the hunchback was two days later once she found the strength to stand on her own. Shaza wasn’t as bad as first impressions suggested.

They’d spent most of the day together, getting familiar with the homes atop the mountain. On their hillside, upwards of twenty little huts rested around a bigger structure. Vadde would have mistaken it for a village if not for the knowledge that only Wyrn’s family inhabited each one. Some were empty in anticipation for travelers and others were empty in anticipation for…wives. Therefore, Vadde received a hut all of her own.

The fading light of day crawled over the land as she peered down at the actual village which stretched out, filling the valley.

None of that was of concern. All Vadde wanted was dinner. She’d foregone breakfast as Shaza walked into her room and announced that Aggu was simply too busy to provide it. Never mind the breadcrumbs on her lips as she spoke.

At the time, Vadde was too hungry to argue. Shaza was a bit strange, but she’d given Vadde a good amount of dresses. Vadde wore a red one to Shaza’s green for dinner.

From the outside, the house looked small but inside was surprisingly big. The eating table was massive. It reminded Vadde of the one in the castle. A castle she’d never see again.

A hand slipped around her waist, lighting her up with panic until Aggu leaned forward to see her face.

“This way, dear. You can sit with me.”

But a quick scan of the room showed couples side-by-side. At the far end of the table, the hunchback sat by himself, taking great interest in the wood. His area was more than free.

Vadde considered it and reminded herself that Aggu knew the truth—somewhat and was trying to be nice. Anyway, it was best to not spur the hunchback to anger. She barely recognized him if not for his back.

As Vadde opened her mouth to thank the woman, another hand yanked her along. “It’s all right, ma’am. I’ll take care of her.”

Shaza plopped Vadde right next to the one person she was trying to avoid. The hunchback flinched. Upon turning to see Vadde, he leaned away so starkly that she expected him to stand and perhaps seek a more favorable spot.

“Brother, where are you going?” a voice thundered.

Vadde looked up into the face of a god. The man was unreal. He didn’t wear as many layers as the hunchback. And he was massive, with gentle green eyes and full red lips. That jawline could very well cut an enemy’s throat.

“Bonn,” he said to her, extending a hand.

Body having gone limp, Vadde gawked at him. She must have offered her hand because when she came back to reality, he held her fingers and brought her limp appendage up and down in a shake.

“My husband,” Shaza boasted.

A feeling of unease washed over Vadde for some time. She couldn’t identify it. When she finally understood her feelings to be jealousy, she shrunk down so much that she nearly resembled the hunch back.

Bonn and Wyrn were polar opposites. And they both sat on either side of her.

Many women brought food, all but Shaza who took up root by her husband, holding onto his strong bicep and leaning into him.

A time or two, she brushed the man’s long red hair back to which he hissed, “Stop.”

Shaza’s persistence had consequences because Bonn leaned away when she kept on petting him and he nearly fell back into Vadde.

The blush wasn’t just in Vadde’s face. Her entire body reacted to this powerful being thrust against her.

Bonn finally caught his wife’s hands and looked behind himself. “I’m so sorry. Have I hurt you?”

All attempts Vadde made to speak petered down into a wheeze. She was forced to keep her eyes on the table to hide her flushed face.

Perhaps instinct or intuition, but she felt a pair of eyes on her. Her biggest mistake was glancing at the hunchback.

He stared her down. His dark eyes, what she could see of them behind the curtain of brown hair, roamed her face before he turned back to his wooden bowl, ignoring her.

Vadde found it hard to breathe. At first it was for Bonn’s proximity but now it was sheer discomfort. Shaza kept on with her play until Bonn bumped Vadde and she slammed into the hunchback who held a spoonful of food.

“Sorry,” Bonn told Vadde, and inched further away. He was nearly giving his wife his back as he asked Vadde, “Had you and my brother known each other long? From where do you come?”

The sound of people whispering and eating careened to a stop.

Rescue came in the form of the big man at the head of the table who called, “Is that really how the custom goes? Questioning a guest before even introducing yourself properly?” He gave Bonn no time to answer for he said, “And what interest do you have in your brother’s wife?” He used his chin to indicate Shaza. “You seem to have your hands full with the one.”

Laughter filled the room and Bonn took great interest in his food. The next time Shaza tried to touch his face, he barked at her to stop and she wilted into a dead flower.

The air was thick after that.

At least the questioning stopped. Vadde tried with all her might to regain composure of herself. She’d never felt this way around anyone. Bonn was a force. Simply sitting beside him made her body pulse with warmth.

She even forgot her hunger and only remembered it upon seeing others partake in the meal.

Something shifted to her left and she risked looking at the hunchback yet again. As suspected, he was revolted enough with her to inch away. He was practically hanging off the bench as he picked at his food.

His response was also a reminder to her that his good graces were what she should strive for.

That would have to wait. For now, she cared only about food. But what she saw when she looked down at her plate was anything but. It was that bitter concoction she’d eaten for the last two days now.

What happened to her food? And when did someone even put this here?

A look past Bonn to Shaza who leaned forward to give her a wink and a smile had Vadde sighing inward.

“You’re not hungry?” someone asked.

Bonn.

Even the baritone of his voice made Vadde’s body tremble.

In an effort to shut him up before she lost her senses entirely, she snatched up her wooden spoon and pulled the bowl close.

Aggu watched her and waited or the first bite before announcing, “Wyrn made it. He’s awfully good, isn’t he?”

The bitter taste was milder than that of Aggu’s attempt but upon hearing the hunchback’s name, somehow the food became less palatable.

But Vadde managed a nod. Her smile amounted to only a grimace. On either side of her, meat, covered in sauces, decorated everyone’s plate. Fresh vegetables lined the table as well. There were even some breads.

All too far away.

Vadde went back to her bitter meal with a grimace.

“You don’t like it?” Bonn’s laughter broke through the tepid silence. “Wait. Is that what you’re eating? Nonsense. Let me get you some proper food.”

A fist landed on the table before he finished his rise. Everyone looked at the patriarch but that wasn’t who was seething. It was Aggu who growled, “Wyrn made it for her. And she likes it just fine. Sit down.”

Her anger stunned Bonn enough that he obeyed like a meek puppy.

Wyrn would meet no one’s gaze as he continued his meal.

Vadde closed her eyes, cursing herself. She only had to eat it. She’d eaten a worse rendition for days now. Her guilt refused to allow her to swallow. It was a struggle, but she managed to make it halfway. The rest, she’d have to eat, she knew. Aggu stood from the table and fetched more bread. There was more than enough but when she walked by Vadde, she understood the subtle trick. The woman was checking Vadde’s progress.

“Oh, how good,” Aggu cheered. “I will bring you some more.”

She dropped the plate of bread on the table, snatched up Vadde’s bowl, and was off.

Vadde’s eyes settled on the bread and her mouth began to water.

Shaza grabbed the plate up and heaped two small loaves beside her husband’s meal before passing the bread on.

Eyes closed yet again, Vadde died inside. She told herself it was an honest mistake but now she didn’t know.

“This is too much,” Bonn said. He offered one to Vadde saying, “Do you want it?”

The room fell silent. And this was not her imagination. Even Bonn realized his mistake when he looked around.

Clearing his throat, he pulled his food close, hunched over, much like his hunchback brother, and quietly ate.

Vadde wasn’t sure what to say or do. Aggu returned and brought an even bigger helping.

Once Aggu sat down at the other end of the table, a pleased smile firmly set, Vadde gazed at her, wondering what she’d done so wrong to deserve all this.

She wanted food. Proper food.

This was all there was so Vadde picked up her spoon and went to work.

Everything calmed after that. Save for Bonn flinching now and then, nothing was a miss.

Vadde’s posture was why she noticed the strange happenings with Bonn. Against his brown clothes, a pale hand slipped between his legs. He was discrete in brushing it aside at first, but it came back. Once he finally conceded defeat and planted it on his knee, it stopped moving. Well, Vadde assumed it was his knee.

She was only three small bites in before she noticed the hand slipping between Bonn’s legs again. Shaza had no interest in relenting.

Finally, Bonn let out a grunt and stood. He pulled his wife to stand with him and she wore a big grin as she hurried out at his side.

Her final greeting to Vadde was a smug smirk and a wink before she was gone.

Well, good for them. But that hardly mattered. Vadde took one look at their half-eaten food, wasted, and a tear escaped her eye.

It was foolish and she fought back the rest, but nothing suppressed them. They just came. Within seconds, she was in tears, crying. And it wasn’t for her family or her situation, but for food. She wanted proper food and was too much of a coward to request it.

Aggu’s husband sounded gentle despite his deep voice as he said, “Wyrn, go and get your wife something else. Perhaps that’s not to her taste.”

But Aggu, already upon them, snatched Vadde up and rubbed her shoulder as she led her away.

“Shh. Don’t cry. Don’t cry.” They were outside, making their way to Vadde’s room when Aggu soothed, “He’s not frightening. I promise.”

But Vadde broke her hold and rushed into the room. There was nothing left to do but throw herself onto her little bed. Now there was no going back to get a proper meal.

It had been days. And she hadn’t gotten breakfasts, any of them. Lunch had been that same medicine.

This time, the tears in her eyes dried quickly. Was everyone here doing this on purpose? But they seemed so nice. Thoughts fell to Shaza and Vadde came to a conclusion—once again she was around people who didn’t want her. With a bitter resolve, she gathered up her clothes, shoved them into her little bag and inched open the door.

No one was there.

It had been a nice place, cleaner than she’d expected. And although she wasn’t sure where she would go now, she stepped out and marched down the hill.

She was halfway to the bottom when a voice came like a song. “Oh, are you leaving?”

Shaza.

Vadde wasn’t sure where the woman had come from—she’d made not a sound.

“Well, that’s good.” With a big smile on her face, Shaza waved. “Travel well. I’d say we’d meet again but that’s unlikely. With how much trouble you’ve caused, I’m sure no one will miss you.”

The gloating burned into Vadde’s chest. Each breath had her trembling but at this rate, she was too tired and hungry to fight. Instead, she turned and walked on.

A few steps later, she saw Shaza before her yet again.

Impossible.

Vadde looked around and behind her only to see that instead of going forward, she was right back where she started somehow.

Her confusion had Shaza smiling wider. “Oh, you must not have wanted to leave bad enough. Go on. Try again.”

Those sweet words came with a toothy grin.

In the back of Vadde’s mind, she panicked. A stronger person might have fought or argued, Vadde instead turned and ran forward. She emerged in the opposite direction, facing Shaza once more.

Shaza bit back a laugh, nearly doubling over. “All right. All right. I’ll tell you the secret. But are you sure you want to go? Have you money? Skill? Hopefully a man won’t snatch you up and do something terrible. Or do you have someone waiting for you?”

Her words had Vadde shivering. A dull ache formed in her gut and traveled throughout her.

Someone closed in. “What is the meaning of this?”

Vadde turned to find Aggu hurrying toward them. When the aged matriarch caught sight of Vadde’s bag, she slowed in her stride.

Her eyes widened in panic. “Was it something we said? Something we did? Child, you leave without saying a word?”

“Can’t really leave.” Shaza arched back and swung her head around to give her mother-in-law a smile. “Twice now the spell has caught her.”

The laughter in her words had Aggu’s expression hardening. “And did you explain to her how to leave?”

Little by little, Shaza’s smile faded. She stood to her full height in time. “I was about to.”

Aggu let out a sigh as she turned to Vadde. “The Living Goddess has cast a protective spell over the Jaffo’s domain. With a Jaffo as your guide, there are no limits, but alone is different. Entering is one thing but leaving is another. You need only have one intent…to never return. Ever.”

Vadde opened her mouth to convey just that. Beyond Aggu’s concern, Shaza’s grin peeked through. Where would Vadde go? How would she get there?

In the silence to follow, Aggu hesitated. “You are free to leave if you have that resolve. It will work.”

She waited, but Vadde waited as well. At this time of night, how far would she get? She had nothing, only the clothes on her back and in her hands.

The hurt expression was why she returned Aggu’s gaze.

One person saw the situation differently. “Best if you go now,” Shaza insisted. “Stay any longer and only the Living Goddess herself can cast you out.” With both hands, she shooed. “Go on.”

Aggu’s sharp glare shut her up. “She’s our guest. Or have you forgotten that?”

This time, the smile looked crooked. “A guest who leaves in the middle of the night without a word? Sounds more like a thief.”

For a long minute, no one had anything to say. Finally, Aggu asked, “Is this really what you want? I won’t keep you if it is.”

Vadde turned to look out at the valley before her. The shimmering embers of oil lamps dotted the night.

Trembling, Vadde finally admitted, “Ma’am, the food—I just want food.”

Aggu’s surprise carried with a gasp. “But, child, whatever do you mean? We’ve got plenty of food.”

Shaza took a step forward, attesting, “You’ve been more than generous, ma’am—”

“You’re not helping,” Aggu snapped. A silence fell over them until she turned her attention back to Vadde. “Explain what is wrong. I’ve made plenty of food for you since your arrival. The parts you’ve eaten, I’d thought were to your liking. If that is all, you need not run away. Come. I’ll fetch you food now.”

With a weary nod, Vadde turned and marched her way back up that hill and into the small hut. At least she had a place to stay for the time being. Her stomach growled and she flopped down, face in her hands.

After a time, Aggu came in, announcing, “Here. I managed to salvage this for you. Make sure and eat all you can. I’ll—I’ll leave you to calm for the night.”

With that, she was gone. Vadde felt foolish for her tears, but a glimmer of hope came with it—she was getting a meal.

She sat up, more than ready to gorge herself with her bare hands if she had to.

On the little table, in the biggest bowl she’d ever seen, her bitter gruel stared back at her.

“I’m dead,” she breathed out, “surely I’ve died and gone to hell.”

 

17