11 | The Wash
315 4 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The consequences of the foot injury were misunderstood by all, resented by Wyrn, but brought a smile to Vadde’s face. For one, Wyrn was a much gentler guide than Shaza. All things considered, that was a low bar.

He was also hard-working. Vadde guessed it was due to his limitations physically why he’d been relegated to care for the animals. Before breakfast each day, he fed them. The pens were an open structure with a roof. Other than the pigs’ area, which Wyrn insisted was too filthy to risk putting her foot there, Vadde followed him everywhere.

And he was very clever, too. Once he sat her down in the fields, he’d go about his work. For that, Bluebell—a name Vadde found sweet—was his trusty steed. However, whenever Vadde needed something, Wyrn had already prepared it.

“All right, a speck of cheese, and one and a half bun.”

Vadde looked up at him from the grass where she sat. “One and a half?”

Still going through the little sack, Wyrn said, “Yes. You always eat more than one but never two. So half should suffice.”

He looked satisfied but Vadde teased, “Shame there’s nothing sweeter.”

With a scoff, he held out his fist then turned it up to reveal his palm, and the berries there.

A smug smile greeted her beyond the gift.

Vadde held out her hands, stunned. Instead of eating, she simply stared down at it. He was still crouched as he watched her. his usual hushed voice held concern.

“I’m sure they’re sweet.”

But that wasn’t Vadde’s focus. She was a princess. There had been a time when people made a fuss and cared how she’d felt; there must have been because both her father and mother had received such life-long treatment. And yet, Vadde couldn’t remember when her own stopped.

Deep down, she had no doubt her parents cared for her. Everyone else, however….

If the cold food and cold water for bathing meant anything, Vadde often wondered if the servants hadn’t wished her gone—dead even. Cheer hadn’t returned to the castle until her brother’s birth.

More than once, Vadde had conveyed her worry to her parents. Both denied it. But the solitude of people sharing space with her yet acting distant had driven Vadde to hysterics more than once. Each time Vadde could see it, everybody wanted her even less—even the king. In time, Vadde stopped being a source of pride for them, and instead, one of shame. People rarely confronted things that embarrassed them, instead, they put it out of mind.

Now here she was…with this hunchback and this was the first time she didn’t feel ‘wrongly-made’ or scorned.

Vadde forced herself to tell Wyrn, “Thank you.” She couldn’t meet his gaze but as of now, he’d given her something she’d long for these five years—a kind friend.

More than once, he’d come to her before she even voiced what she wanted. And when they were alone, he gave her space, but if even one person was near, he was by her side. He’d hesitated about taking her hand at first, but after one day, she didn’t need to remind him again.

He was careful to clean her wound also.

Per usual, Wyrn checked that no one was about before kneeling before her. Once he slipped the shoe off and removed the bandage, he took her foot into his lap and examined it.

The tender massage from his coarse hands was her favorite part of the day.

A sharp gasp proceeded a cry. “It’d be more polite if you two did this in a room! And since when have you two become so friendly?”

Shaza.

Wyrn froze. His grip on Vadde’s foot loosened as he looked behind him and bit out, “She’s injured. I’m just checking her wound.”

“Oh?” This piqued Shaza’s interest. “What’s wrong with her then?”

Vadde sucked in a deep breath. The sound prompted Wyrn to snap his mouth shut to safeguard their secret. As was his habit, instead of answering, he kept his back to her.

Anyone else would have left; Vadde surely would have, but not Shaza. She instead let out an exasperated sigh.

“Oh, Wryn. Why are you such a fool? Look at her. She obviously has no place to go and she’s just using her body to seduce you. Look, she’s even got you with your hands up her skirt. A Jaffo leader is supposed to have sense. You’ll never get anyone to follow you at this rate. And as for you, Ms. Vadde, have you no shame? Faking an injury for attention—”

“I wish old birds would simply keep their mouths shut,” Wyrn drawled, asking Vadde, “don’t you?”

“Old?” Shaza’s jaw dropped. She went pale and after looking between them for a time, she turned and stomped off.

Once she was gone, Wyrn didn’t move. He seemed ready to give Vadde distance, an alarming fact. With little thought, Vadde caught his hands and kept them on her foot. When their eyes met, he studied her.

After a time, he went back to changing the bandage. “Maybe you should stop staring at Bonn.”

He said it so quietly that she barely heard. Shock stole her breath. “Are you accusing me?”

The last of the bandage in place, Wyrn told her, “While he was married before, he was very kind to Shaza. She saw it as more, I think. But it’s just his habit. So…don’t get too attached.”

Vadde took insult—she was nothing like Shaza. “I stare at everyone,” she declared. “I even stare at you. You just haven’t noticed.”

Wyrn lumbered to his feet. “I’ve noticed.”

Out of defiance against Shaza, perhaps, he kept the wound clean each day. But as Vadde’s recovery hastened, the more distant he became so after a time, she insisted on caring for it herself so that he wouldn’t know when she no longer needed him—this way, he’d stay by her side. At lunchtime, they’d sit by the river eating while throwing pebbles at the water.

He didn’t talk much, but for everything she asked, he had an answer. And he wasn’t strange like that awful Prince Orm.

Bonn hardly spoke to her now, she’d noticed. And whenever she did ask him a question, his answer was always the same. “You’re best to ask Wyrn. He knows everything.” And then he’d walk off.

So Vadde did just that. Supper was better now, thanks to Wyrn’s method of politely blocking Shaza’s interference. And at Wyrn’s insistence, though he refused to stay in her room for the night, he did look up at the stars with her for hours before walking her home.

Consequences came for being unfamiliar with animals also. That she learned one day as she ate her dinner, in tears.

Wyrn, sitting on her right, kept his head hung and whispered, “I warned you, didn’t I?”

Many watched them unabashed but Vadde, picking at her food, kept on crying. “Well, it wasn’t my intent.”

“What do you expect when you name them? They’re food.”

And she had named them. Each and every one. The delicious bird she partook in was one she couldn’t find that morning. “Poh,” she lamented.

Wyrn sighed. But he rubbed her back and said, “You don’t have to eat it.”

The moment he tried to pull her food away, flashes of a ten-day forced fast rushed back to her and she yanked it from his hold.

“I didn’t say that.”

He was the first to laugh, then her chuckle followed. The periodic pats on the back were sweet. But Wyrn was just awful the entire night as he pointed out a few things.

“I suppose Jeo is tomorrow’s feast.”

Fresh tears fell as Vadde laughed and took a bite. “If she’s as delicious, I won’t argue it.”

They were huddled together in their private joke, and she took one final sniff and sat up. Wyrn put something before her and she barked out a laugh so sudden some people jumped.

In a wooden bowl, he’d decorated a potato with eyes and an onion smile.

Only his father clearing his throat was enough for them to quiet. With rewards like that in the evening, she didn’t mind the hard work in the day.

Vadde, having spent her life on a strict routine of a different sort, loved it. She feared it would end once her foot was well but that lasted only a day. He simply didn’t come to fetch her one morning, so she made sure to be ready with the animal feed the next day before he even arose.

The sight of her there startled him, but he didn’t shoo her. After that, they were nearly inseparable. And then it stopped. Thanks to Shaza.

“It would be good if we could get some help with the wash. Wouldn’t it, ma’am?” she asked at one breakfast.

Wyrn slowed in eating but started yet again. The eerie silence amplified Vadde’s reluctance. Till now, she’d been safe, safe and nearly fat, thanks to the hunchback.

The way he paused finally and said, “This is true,” surprised Vadde.

Hadn’t he enjoyed her company? She found him easy-going and caring for the animals wasn’t terrible. This felt like yet another rejection.

Everything in her wanted to argue and stay by his side but perhaps she was a bit too close to him.

The work of the women was never-ending.

The first day upset her greatly but if she finished her chores quick enough, she could visit the animals with Wyrn in the afternoon. Therefore, she took to her task with sloppy gusto, declared herself finished, and bade the women a fleeting goodbye.

Wyrn was rather meticulous, so to happen upon him lazily tossing corn at the chicken while staring off into nothing surprised her.

Vadde made no sound as she sneaked up behind him.

She pounced and he turned and snatched her close. By the time she realized what had happened, she was in his grip, her right arm brought to her throat.

Eyes wide, she whispered, “I’m no bandit.”

He didn’t move for some time. When he finally let her go, he stepped back. “Princess….” A deep crimson traveled up his collar and eventually encompassed his entire face. “What are you doing here?”

Vadde fought back her own blush. “Don’t—am I not welcome?”

“No.” He hurried to correct his words. “I mean yes. I mean, no. No. Of course, you’re welcome. I—I’m sorry.”

They stared at one another. Vadde liked the glimpses of his face revealed when the wind swept his hair back.

He shied away from the scrutiny but watched her under his lashes.

“Well, if you don’t want me here…” she teased.

A hand stretched out to catch her but eventually pulled back. “Here,” he said, thrusting the feeding bag into her grip.

The feel of the coarse burlap was like heaven. This was her usual chore. A part of her thought he’d saved this with her in mind.

Contented, Vadde began to throw the corn to-and-fro.

They went about doing what chores were left and when that was all done, Vadde was rewarded with her favorite time, visiting the baby animals.

It was then that she noticed…his distance. If she were honest with herself, she could admit that it wasn’t far, at least not for a normal person. Everything in her said as much and yet, she couldn’t help feel as if this was a precursor to his abandonment, too.

Orm was awful, but the situation with him was terrible because till now, he was the only one who had wanted her.

Stupid.

It was by luck that he showed his colors so quickly. Otherwise….

“You’ll be happy to know there are two lambs for you to name.”

Vadde perked up. They approached the horses in time to see two fussing with one another.

“But I haven’t gotten through the horses yet. These are the last two. What do you think?”

Vadde didn’t grow up close to animals but knew riders named their steeds. Bluebell even had a name. Surely the horses did, too. So, the fact that Wyrn allowed her to rename them showed his kind nature.

“Well, they don’t really get along,” Wyrn observed. “She’s far too picky. And he’s a bit dumb to let her push him around. So how about Wyrn and Vadde?”

He’d said it in jest, she knew, but it troubled her, but not as much as what he said next.

“Have you—have you ever tried to go down into the village?”

She froze. She had but only ended up right back where she’d started. Her thoughts rushed.

“I want you to know no one’s keeping you against your will. In fact, I’m heading out tomorrow. And now that you’re healed, should you want to go somewhere.” He hesitated then said, “To meet someone….”

Once she realized she’d stopped breathing, she was slow in her exhale. “Is there something in the village you want me to see?”

“I—I just mean, if—if you ever want to go down there—or beyond, just let me know and I’ll take you.”

In the fields, horses and other herd animals ran wild, a wooden fence the only markings for their border. A lamb neared and Vadde crouched to stroke it for a distraction.

She’d rather be here than around…Orm. The memory of that monster on top of her came back and she nearly vomited. Truly, Wyrn owed her nothing. She was just a cursed princess with no kingdom of her own. They were supposed to be married.

In the silence, Wyrn was thoughtful as he said, “I don’t even know your name.”

She had reason for that. “It’s for good luck. Wait, what’s happening?”

The little lamb left. Wyrn barely cast it a glance. “She’s likely going to feed. What do you mean luck?”

His stubborn train of thought drove Vadde to defiance as well. “Why are you so far? Planning your own ambush?”

Wyrn, at first crouching with her, stood in surprise. “What?”

This wasn’t the reaction Vadde had been looking for.

But as she formulated what to say, he continued.

“I’m sorry about attacking you. I—I hadn’t known.”

Another lamb joined the first. Vadde watched them but kept her focus on Wyrn. “Well, who else would it be? Your family is the only group of people here.”

“People, yes,” Wyrn said, bracing himself forward against the fence. “But not the only creatures. No. I worried you were a fairy.”

Vadde smiled then laughed. It was common that he teased her. “Fairies aren’t around anymore.”

“Of course, they are.”

His gentle voice was hard to deny.

She decided to play along. “I’m awfully big to be a fairy, aren’t I?”

Shamefaced, Wyrn cleared his throat. “Well, you cause as much trouble as one.”

Vadde stood to fire back with a witty retort, but something in the distance caught her eye. The mother sheep pushed the little lamb aside, and not at all gently. “Wyrn, is that normal?”

When he turned to watch her meaning, she hoped he’d laugh it off. Instead, he said, “She’s still rejecting that one. Then it’s no use.”

He climbed up and over the fence. When he returned with the lamb in hand, Vadde met him, worried. “What should we do?”

His feet barely touched the ground before he took a step back. “Do? What do you mean?”

“Should I fetch some milk?”

Wyrn had a soft disposition, but he had one habit Vadde detested—she even found herself mirroring at times—he couldn’t bear to give bad news. That pitiful look of his was all she needed.

“You can’t kill it. Why not save it instead?”

It was a slow sigh, followed by a soft, “If an ewe doesn’t want to take care of it, it’s for good reason. It’s likely sick and it’ll die on its own anyway.”

He sounded reasonable—his voice, his explanation, his conviction, and yet, she hated him. Her eyes settled on the useless mother sheep in the distance feeding the other lamb.

“You’re both bastards,” she declared.

He looked hurt when she turned on her heels.

“Wait.” His speed rivaled hers and he caught her arm. “Wait, I don’t appreciate—”

She brushed him off and turned to say, “It’s too much trouble. Is that it? It’s too much work so it’s easier to be rid of it? Is that it! Would a quest of some kind be out of the question?”

“A quest?” She must have sounded insane with that slip of the tongue. The fear in his eyes dulled in time, however, and he told her “Cow’s milk won’t work and it’s not like it can feed from me. What would you have me do? Hold the sheep down and force it?”

It was unlike him to be this rude. She was too upset to respond with an insult of her own.

“It’s life,” he explained, gentler. “It’s simply life.”

She couldn’t meet his gaze as tears stung her eyes. In the distance, the sheep and the second lamb hadn’t a care in the world. “It’s not life,” Vadde found herself saying. “It’s unjust.” She returned Wyrn’s stare and didn’t care how foolish she looked. “I like being Vadde. Because Vadde doesn’t get in anyone’s way. Everyone gives Vadde a big smile when she comes around and everyone gives Vadde a chance. That’s why I like this name. But even that—even that….”

No more words came and he watched her at a loss.

She managed to wipe her eyes but had to turn from him in order to pull herself together.

“But maybe you’re right. It’s just life. Anyway, it’s just a sheep we’d eventually eat.” She waited for an answer, but he gave none. “Parents can always just replace the children that inconvenience them.”

She walked away without giving him a second glance. Her feet felt heavy with each step, but she eventually broke into a run. The moment the door of her hut closed, she pressed her back to it and slid to the floor.

The tears came hot and heavy, and she tried to make sense of it. She’d been happy for her parents. She’d even been happy for herself upon first setting eyes on Prince Orm. And once she’d arrived here and been welcomed, she’d felt good then. The business with Shaza be forgiven, she concluded that nothing made her quite as happy as Wyrn’s first rescue. Now she understood why. Everyone else had let her down. From Nurse to the king and queen, then to Shaza and yes, even Aggu for not realizing her suffering sooner, and now Wyrn.

Vadde hadn’t stared at Bonn in weeks, not because he wasn’t as stunning as before, but because Wyrn could do no wrong.

Now she was alone again. Her tears now felt like a mourning, but for what? Despite knowing how foolish her behavior, she couldn’t bring herself to stop.

Sometime later, she cleaned her face and dusted herself off. She’d go back and apologize.

To her surprise, she found Wyrn right where she’d left him, only, he was crouched down examining the lamb.

Even with his back to her, he knew she was there.

“Her teeth might be the reason. They’re not supposed to be visible this early. I’ll ask my father what we can do.”

Vadde opened and closed her mouth as she tried to respond. All she managed was a nod though he couldn’t see.

He glanced back at her and said, “But if I go through all this work to save this blasted sheep and it gets snatched up by a wolf, you’ll never hear the end of it.”

 

17