17 | Lamplight
242 0 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Vadde, looking ravishing in one of her dresses she’d brought with her to this place, stood in the night air, watching with others as her would-be father-in-law took the foul rabbit out of the house and marched it into the forest to dispose of it. Two of his sons went with him for protection.

The whole house had seen. Now, several people, whispering as they passed by her, hurried to wash their hands.

Aggu was inside cleaning, desperate to salvage not only the table but her very home.

In the chaos, two people stood still, Vadde who stared at the ground, and Wyrn, holding an oil lamp, who she knew watched her.

They both didn’t have to wash, because he’d ushered her out and forced her to after she showed him the well-‘dressed’ rabbit.

And he hadn’t said anything. Shaza said plenty as she passed by with a bucket of water. The bitch waited to get close to her before snickering.

No. Wyrn hadn’t said anything. Vadde still remembered the look of affection he gave her after a long pause.

The way he’d stared into her eyes and said, “This is the best I’ve ever seen it done.”

Her heart had swelled with so much pride it had nearly burst. How could she have been so stupid to believe him after he moved around the table and maneuvered her out?

“I’ll get some limes and rum,” Wyrn’d said.

Stupid.

Because while he was trying to rescue her, she’d thought it was his way of preparing them for the lovemaking promised for the night.

He’d said nothing. He’d given her no warning. No time to throw the carcass away and perhaps clean on her own. He, perhaps, concluded she couldn’t manage to clean well anyway.

And now, he just stood there with a frown on his face.

“Tomorrow…” he began but Vadde heard nothing.

She certainly didn’t when she turned and made her way to her room.

He followed if his shout was any indication.

“Princess,” he called but she willed him to shut up.

Should he say it any louder, someone might hear.

A storm of emotions swirled through her and settled into one feeling: anger.

She was angry when she yanked open her door and slammed it shut. She was angry when he barged in shortly after, speaking gently as he begged her to calm, oil lamp raised.

“Tomorrow—”

He said again but stopped when she took off her right shoe and hurled it at him.

“You liar! You absolute bastard!”

He ducked but the second one caught him in the head.

The table flipped; the chair was next.

“So you think you can get rid of me?”

A flower vase on the windowsill went sailing across the room and smashed beautifully against the door.

“Is that what you think? Then try it.”

Three more plants perished in her fury.

“Princess,” Wyrn pleaded, “it was an honest mistake. I understood that.”

But what did all the understanding in the world matter? She was as good as delivered to Prince Orm by midday tomorrow.

She threw pillows, the second chair, hairbrush, comb, anything in reach.

And when she ran out of things to throw, she stood huffing and puffing, hating the very sight of him.

Every emotion came tinged with hurt and anger. But now with nothing to fuel it—and nothing to fling at him, she had no distractions to keep the first tear back.

His lips parted but he said nothing.

“I tried so hard. That was the only good dress I had.”

There was one clear spot on the floor and he rested the lamp there. Hands extended, he inched closer.

Maybe in his mind he meant to soothe her, but she saw it as a capture. She could more than see him grabbing hold of her and picking her up. Despite his back, he had that ability. He’d done it before. Maybe he wouldn’t wait. He’d just grab hold, throw her into his little wagon, and start for Orm without so much as another word.

So as he approached, she stepped away. The bed was an impediment, but her body gave out and she sagged.

He caught her and she let out a cry. “I was a good person before I met you. I was pretty and coveted and nobody ever told me my body was ugly before! I don’t need to stay with you anyway. You’d just wear me down until I was as terrified of life as you were in the end. So it’s fine.”

Two strong arms wrapped around her, and she buried her face in his neck.

“All right. All right,” he cooed. “You’re right. I’m a coward. I’m just a coward. But please stay still for but a moment.”

He held on to her for ages, running his gruff hands up and down her shoulders and arms.

Even the thought of her dress troubled her.

“How could I have been so foolish as to pine for you? I’d even come to dinner with nothing on under this in anticipation.”

His grip tightened and he said, “I would have been too stupid to know what to do even if we tried anyway.”

The kiss he gave her on the forehead traveled down to her nose. Her breath caught when she tilted her head back and pressed her lips to his.

“Princess,” he panted.

She waited for his excuse, for him to explain what it was she was overlooking yet again. He needed only remind her of their bargain.

Hands still pressed against him, she reached up and held his face. The kiss that time was equally soft, and his fingers rooted up her dress.

Her eyes shot open but shut again as she took yet another kiss. The pleasant taste of his lips only saddened her all the more. What had he used to get this effect? And had he prepared himself thinking she could have somehow manage this?

Calloused fingers grazed her thighs and traveled up her torso. He cupped her uneven breasts, pinching both nipples as he groaned into her mouth.

She was the one to bring the dress over her and toss it to the ground, but he kicked off his boots when she fell back on the bed.

The sheets were a mess, the room was a warzone, but the sight of his frightened yet eager blue eyes as he struggled with his trousers and boots at the same time stole all the air from around her.

Instead of going toward him, she found herself crawling away. It wasn’t in fear, but rather to get onto the bed better. It was only big enough for one person and, though it rested against the wall, she didn’t want to risk him falling off the other side.

His trousers fell, revealing that he wore nothing as well.

He looked pensive but paused before lifting his shirt past his stomach. His lean muscles twitched but he wasn’t comfortable enough to stand before her bare.

“Leave it,” she insisted.

After a moment, he lowered the shirt, but he kept pulling it down, even past his groin.

She was curious and felt even more fortunate that she hadn’t hit the lamp with anything to potentially start a fire.

When he tried to kneel between her legs, she told him, “Let me see that much of you at least.”

His breathing quickened but he let go and even brushed his shirt up past his well-defined stomach to show his stiff member.

Despite the dim light, its pale color stood proud. Perhaps it was a good size—Vadde wouldn’t know.

She kept her eyes there, however, as she reached for him, and he complied and eased her legs apart further.

What she hadn’t expected was for him to press his lips to her knee then leave a trail of kisses up between her thighs.

Alarmed, she asked, “What are you doing?”

He looked up at her under his lashes. “Shaza had suggested it. Is…isn’t this what women enjoy?”

Vadde’s mouth hung open. “I…I don’t know.” She paused and demanded, “You did this with her?”

He cleared his throat and confessed, “No. I found it revolting. So I refused. But…I don’t think I’d mind for you.”

They remained still for ages before she finally held his shoulder then his face and guided him to kiss between her legs.

It was the strangest sensation at first. Her body was rigid. But then after a moment, it wasn’t so bad, especially when he became more determined.

She flinched at the prodding of his tongue, then a lick, but it was when he pressed his lips to her and sucked that she let out a shout that embarrassed her. Her effort to stifle the next didn’t amount to much.

Leaning back, she closed her eyes and was content to remain like this, but he kissed between her thigh and confessed, “I want you.”

After those words, the world faded. When it returned, he loomed over her, panting and unsure.

He guided himself for a moment but had little success. Each time it seemed sure, and they failed to connect, she let out a groan.

Finally, she reached down and stroked him. His manhood was hot yet silky to the touch. When she brought him closer, the tip parted her and he shouted in surprise.

“Tight,” he complained.

“Sorry.”

“No. It—”

His eyes met hers and he made a thrust that had them both crying out.

After that, he didn’t move.

Eyes wide, she froze, hands fisted in the shoulders of his shirt.

“Does it hurt?” he asked.

It did at first, but she refused to vocalize it. The pain mixed in with so much anticipation that the next sensation to come with his thrust felt full and satisfying.

His body trembled. The unsure look in his eyes made her fearful. She didn’t want to ask, terrified of the source of his possible displeasure, but she had little choice—perhaps she could correct it.

A whisper was the best she could do. “What’s wrong?”

Face crimson, Wyrn hesitated then confessed, “I want to go deeper. But not if it hurts you—”

Her yanking his waist had him in motion—slowly at first. Finally, he let out a cry and gave one lunge to the hilt.

Now his face no longer held worry, but wonder. Vadde wasn’t better off—her body burned.

“Are you really all right?”

Why did he keep asking that? She remembered how observant he was and realized just how tightly she held his shirt. It was more for nerves than any pain. When she finally calmed, all tension faded from his muscles as well.

He was careful with her when he pulled out then eased deeper yet again.

The surprise in his eyes at their joining came with him wetting his lips.

“Princess—”

“Stop talking,” she demanded but then begged, “and move.”

***

The lamplight had all but died down by the time he collapsed atop her. Each kiss along her throat made her smile and she ran her fingers through his now loosened hair, happy and sated and cherished.

“I’m sorry,” he said.

Vadde closed her eyes, kissing his brow then cheek. “Why would you say something so awful?”

“But you can’t leave now,” he said, worried. “No human’s ever allowed to leave once we’ve consummated.”

Human.

Her eyes shot open, and she slowed in her petting of his hair. She waited for the laugh but swallowed hard when there was none. “Why do you say something like that? Aren’t we all human?”

Wyrn was on the verge of slumber as he answered, confused, “Of course not. Only the women are. That’s why we must get them from a different place.”

Heart thumping harder, Vadde struggled to get a grip on her shock. “W—what exactly are you…if…if not human?”

He whispered his answer before falling asleep and her eyes widened so far she feared they’d fall out of her head.

 

11