23 | We’re Fine
169 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Wyrn loved nothing more than waking up beside the princess each morning. Was there anything better than this? He watched her peaceful face for some time before finding the nerve to trace her brow.

A part of him wished they’d never leave this moment. Because the idea of waking up ten years from now and not feeling this way upon seeing her filled him with dread.

There could be no better feeling. When he took hold of her left hand and pressed it to his chest, she eased forward to follow him rather than move away.

And then there was the rest of her. More than once, he ran the back of his hand down her left shoulder and arm in a lazy fashion. The sight of her bare bosom made him smile.

“And to think, I had the nerve to insult these.”

He brushed one nipple with his thumb then pulled her closer when she reacted.

It was official. He could admit it. He was happy.

But it felt fleeting, like an illusion he feared hanging on to. The more he longed for it, the more he dreaded its loss.

A tear fell past her nose, ruining the moment.

“Princess?” he whispered.

But instead of opening her eyes and answering, she buried her face in his neck, muttering, “Forgive me. Please.”

Wyrn puzzled over her meaning for some time.

Perhaps she meant having not opened the shield. All the better if she hadn’t. It was anyone’s guess what would happen to his body without it. But he’d been willing to risk it last night for her—he was willing to risk so much for her.

Most days he didn’t notice his back. Others constantly reminded him of it.

He felt cold now without a shirt because it was such a rare thing for him. Though he had been disappointed at first, how could he blame her? She was a princess cast in with his kind, a people who attacked hers for sport.

No. She needed not ask for forgiveness. That apology was unnecessary.

The moment he exhaled, he admitted one thing to himself—one thing he could no longer deny. He loved her.

It was stupid and impossible, but he was happy and in love. But that went without saying; they had attracted fairies after all.

Today when Wyrn dressed, his back felt heavy. And that wasn’t all—it was hot.

All throughout the morning as they readied themselves, she would not look him in the eye. While he, on the other hand, could look nowhere else but directly at her.

She flinched, holding her face often.

A shadow of a scream came from the great beyond. “Give her back! Give her back, you—”

The voice faded and Wyrn took his wife by the hand. Today, they’d be married. Properly.

And no one could break that bond. Not even The Living Goddess herself. Nothing and no one.

Wyrn could hardly wait.

Bonn and Shaza were the next to emerge from their homes, Bonn hobbling on his good leg. Whenever Shaza tried to aid him, he shrugged her off.

Wyrn stopped to watch them.

Till now, he’d never begrudged them their relationship. In fact, there’d been days he’d been envious of them. A man married to a succubus must have been sated nightly.

But now, with the princess’s grip in his own, Wyrn wouldn’t trade her for all the pleasure beings in the very earth.

So, he understood his brother finally, and why the man had never officially made Shaza his wife, despite these many years together.

She could touch his skin, but not his heart, a heart that was buried with Bonn’s wife and child.

That was also a truth Wyrn never wanted to think about. It was what they were why Bonn’s wife had perished like that. Wyrn glanced at the princess who continued to flinch while holding her face now and then.

He decided in that very moment that she wouldn’t suffer the same way. The Living Goddess blessed all of their births. All except Bonn’s child and it died. Wyrn wasn’t sure why no one wanted to visit the deity of late, but he’d follow the rules and make sure the princess was safe when the time came.

No matter what it took.

They sat down to breakfast, no one smiling except Wyrn. Even the princess stared at the table with a forlorn look.

A time or two when Wyrn winced, she reached for him and he soothed, “No. I’m all right. I just feel a bit uncomfortable.”

But she looked on the verge of tears. “Uncomfortable how? Is it dangerous?”

Her worry was sweet, so he pecked her lips. She looked sadder for it.

“I’m all right. Not much can hurt us,” he assured her but it was to no avail.

Something was strange about her, though, because she couldn’t sit still.

As they ate, her hand found its way to Wyrn’s right knee and he patted it, flattered by her physical interest in him. No, he’d never expected it, but she was starting to make him feel invincible.

Today, he felt worthy of being king.

So, it was only appropriate that a princess was at his side.

Her grip on his knee tightened.

It made him worry.

Everyone was eating so he leaned closer and asked, “What’s wrong?”

She hesitated then swallowed hard. “There’s something I must tell you.” But when she opened her mouth, no words came.

Perhaps this was just the way women were. “Then if you don’t want to tell me—”

Her stifled shriek was no act and it made him sit up, dead serious.

“What is wrong?”

She raised her shaky hand to brush her hair back from her neck. The small bites made Wyrn’s lips part.

“Something the matter?” a voice asked.

Wyrn looked past the princess to Bonn’s curious gaze.

“No,” Wyrn breathed out, pulling his wife closer. “No. It’s nothing. Sorry.”

That was a colossal lie and not one he could maintain for long. The princess was being attacked. He was sure to check the other side of her neck to make certain it wasn’t by both fairies. What had she possibly done to set one off?

Wyrn was discrete as he stood and eased her close to the edge of the bench. Then he took her seat and leaned in, feigning a hug as he whispered, “I know humans like to capture Fae for wishes but that won’t work for just the one. Princess, fairies are cold creatures. They look cute to whoever’s unfortunate enough to see them, but they aren’t gentle in any sense. That’s why they seek out people who are affectionate. Their nature is violent, and they never stop until they take what they want from a target. Whatever you’ve done, you must undo it.”

She stifled a sob and he shielded her from view as she trembled.

“I think the male has lost the female. Have you put out some sort of repellent?” And how would she know how to do that? He prayed she hadn’t somehow killed it, because there would be no end to the attacks until either her or that fairy was dead. “You must give back the female,” Wyrn said through gritted teeth, “immediately.”

“I can’t.” The princess gripped his shirt, whispering in turn. “It won’t leave me alone.”

He tried to soothe her but deep down he was panicked as well. “Darling, it’s cruel. Better to kill a fairy than leave it isolated. It cannot make bonds easily and it considers its bedfellow a prized possession. You must return it.”

“I can’t! I don’t have it. You do—”

“Give her back, you bitch!”

The word came in a shout then faded. When others picked their heads up, Wyrn knew he wasn’t the only one aware of the extra presence.

This was bad. It was one thing to injure or kill a fairy who broke the pact, it was quite another to torture one then end its life without justification.

Father stood first, hands on the table as he drew in a deep breath.

“There’s one in a temper. Prepare yourselves.”

“No.” Wyrn stood. All focus fell on him.

The princess flinched, turning her face left to right. She was taking a beating and Wyrn could barely stand it.

“No?” Bonn demanded. “You? Who was so eager to risk a war only months ago?”

Wyrn swallowed hard then entreated them, “Let’s…let’s try to catch it.”

“How? None of us can see it. And it’d take ages to get a witch here who could.”

The princess cried out, raising her hands. The next strike nearly had her toppling to the ground.

When she shut her eyes tight and guarded her face, Wyrn made up his mind.

“I’ll release my power and look for it. I can see it then.”

“Absolutely not,” Father shouted. “That could lead to all sorts of trouble.” He glanced past Wyrn to the princess and sighed. “This is between her and them. She is not one of us yet—”

“I will not leave her to be imprisoned and abused by a fairy!”

Father looked pensive but explained, “I do not like it. And I do not agree but that is what they require for depriving one of a Fae.”

“So what? I leave her to be violated until she gave birth to another one?” Wyrn yelled.

No one would meet eyes with him.

His wife’s scream had him at her side in seconds.

“That’s it. We’re going. I’ve got a trap I can use.”

Bonn stood. “I need to heal. Let me release my power and at least tell you where to find it.”

“In front of a foreigner? Absolutely not,” Father protested. Wyrn was already at the door when his father said, “He’s made his choice. Leave them to it.”

“Princess!” Wyrn struggled to hold her up but had to put her down again. The black and blue bruises along her face and neck darkened. “Listen, take the oath now. Take it now and we can help you. We’ll find a way to make some sort of trade.”

But instead, she curled over in the grass, guarding her head poorly—her hands began to bleed.

“Princess, please,” Wyrn begged. At the continued attacks, he focused elsewhere. “Fine. Then what of the Fae you’ve taken—?”

“I—I don’t have it.” Her words died with a shriek. “It’s in your shield.”

Shield?

Mother gasped. “What did she say?”

Wyrn looked to her for help. “She’s talking nonsense. She says the fairy’s in my shield.” He thought to touch his back but hesitated. “I’ll check.”

Father’s voice thundered, “You will not.”

“I can check—”

“How convenient that it’s the one way for a foreigner to see our true form. You will not release your power in front of her without an oath.”

“She’s suffering.” A defiant gaze was the only answer. Seeing little choice, Wyrn shimmied out of his shirt. “Blast the laws. I’ll catch the fairy at least.”

But Bonn was already half naked by the time he reached the door.

He ran past, turned to them, and said, “Brother, let me. Remember your back.” He shed his trousers and his underwear and, in one quick motion, flicked the buckles of the metal cape. Once it fell, he crouched on one knee.

The ground shook and Wyrn needed one blink before Bonn grew, towering over them. A horse’s cry in the distance drew his focus and he turned in time to see the lone prince on horseback come to a stop.

Orm.

Though still on the ground guarding herself, the princess looked up and was in awe. “A giant?” She marveled, “They’re giants!”

Her words had Wyrn regarding her in confusion then fear. He looked from her to the newly arrived Prince Orm and then up to his fully powered brother and a pit formed in his stomach. “The Living Goddess be damned. What have I done?”

 

 

7