29 | Changes
128 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The giants had several mules. Vadde kept her eyes on this one. It wasn’t Bluebell but it was young. Thoughts fell to Wyrn and she wondered if he’d miss it.

With his mother’s talent at skullduggery, Vadde took little comfort in knowing he was unaware of the state of things.

Wyrn.

Sitting up, bound feet anchored down by the metal chain, Vadde fought to keep her mind off of him. This feeling of hate was so strong, and grew so quickly, that she feared it.

She was also afraid of what was happening to her. The chain still smoked whenever she tried to shift her feet. It must have been no heavier than a rope and yet she could not move even her toes from the pain, not even slightly. The first attempt she made at moving the thing scorched her fingers. It was iron…and she could not touch it.

Thoughts fell to Wyrn’s back. She imagined trying to make love with him now with metal on him.

And she hated herself for it. That wasn’t where her thoughts should lie. He was no longer an option. The slow pace of the wagon had given her more than enough time to form some conclusions. Even when she tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, she still couldn’t. Before, Wyrn could not see Matax and Jeze. Perhaps…when Vadde herself looked like a fairy, he could not see her.

But he’d doused her in powder. Couldn’t he make her face out? The shape of her. Perhaps she was given their love too much credit.

And he’d known the male fairy had lost the female so couldn’t he have imagined it was the wrong one?

Was that fair to expect that from him?

If she was being truthful to herself, she supposed it wasn’t. The first day in his captivity as a fairy had been so difficult. Watching him sitting there fighting back tears as he offered her the apple. She’d thought it was because he’d realized it was her and that they could not be with one another.

Now, traveling slowly in the wagon, she wasn’t sure what to think. She should have stayed lying now because it was impossible to shift her position with the iron on her feet.

Wyrn.

Face buried in her knees, she allowed herself to think of him now. She had to. It was either him or…or Orm.

A glance at the prince showed the man’s eager smile as he looked back at her.

“You and I are to be well-acquainted.”

Vadde swallowed down her disgust.

He reached back, splaying her legs with his free hand before brushing the skirt up over her knees.

The chill of the night air didn’t disturb Vadde as much as the pleased expression on the man’s face.

“I knew it. You wear nothing below.” He turned and clicked his tongue, urging the mule to move faster. “But I suppose that’s what they kept you for.”

Vadde was slow to push her dress up and over her knees once more.

When he looked back next to discover her that way, his smile vanished.

“When I move something or put you some way, you do not dare undo it.”

Vadde’s heart pounded but she’d thought to keep that defiance. The moment he slowed the wagon, she hiked her dress up so that he could see what he wanted yet again.

His gaze lingered on her for a disturbingly long time before he faced forward once more and concentrated on their path.

A pit formed in Vadde’s stomach, and she fought back the panic setting in. This time when she thought of Wyrn, she feared him finding her like this. What would he think? Shouldn’t she at least put up a fight, however futile?

She took in her surroundings, mostly the tall trees that waved in the gentle wind. Despite it being night, the forest was alive with color and wasn’t all that dark. The moon shined down on them and a time or two, a star flickered then fell.

Wyrn.

This memory of them gazing at the sky together hurt the most. Even more so than her bound and bleeding feet.

All that rested atop the tall trees, but the trees themselves were a wonder. A time or two, Vadde was sure she’d seen a face in the leaves as they passed by. She checked the other side of the path to find the same thing, face after face shifting and forming them disappearing.

The whisper hanging on the breeze came with worry, “Is she all right? Is that fairy all right? That human’s intent reaches even here.”

“We cannot do a thing about it. Not without the goddess’s will.”

“But we must do something. Surely, something.”

“We can do nothing.”

“Giants.”

“No. Where?”

“The giants have entered the forest. Should we stop them?”

“Perhaps they come for her.”

“They won’t be fast enough at this rate.”

And on and on it went. The once hollow pit in Vadde’s gut filled with hope, but then fear.

Her eyes settled on Orm and she imagined all sort of terrible things. This man was a prince. He was surely in no short supply of women. His original intent was to capture The Living Goddess. He would get that and more but what he was doing now reeked of something else. It felt like payback. Vadde’d escaped him, more than once. He probably hadn’t been all that interested in her until she’d escaped him.

As a prince, Orm had more than received his fortune with such a capture. And he’d risk it, all to humble her for having the nerve to deny him.

So what would he do to Wyrn? Orm had good luck on his side now. Perhaps Wyrn would arrive and be killed. Perhaps Wyrn would arrive and find this brute on top of her doing what he wanted. Perhaps Wyrn…wouldn’t come.

Orm was leaving the giants in peace. He’d received his payment and his instructions. And now…he was collecting on it.

What was the point of rescue? So she could go back with them and try to keep her neck from Aggu’s very, very tangible clutches? So Vadde could sew trouble at every turn? So Orm, this very petty miniscule excuse for a man, would come back with an army to avenge his hurt pride?

Now, thoughts of Wyrn confused and hurt her.

Did she really expect Wyrn to fight his mother and on Vadde’s behalf? A mother who, until now, was his biggest supporter. Because his mother’d delivered Vadde in fairy form to Wyrn each day without fail. That had been no act. And his mother would have allowed him whatever anger and torture he’d wanted. But not to a real fairy who could seek revenge.

Vadde had seen the cruelty of it, but not the protection as well. There was no other way. Her curse was turning her into a fairy, and Aggu used the chance to keep Wyrn safe from himself.

Head hung, Vadde wondered what she’d have done in the same situation.

No. There was no point in returning to the giants. Wyrn would recover. If anything was wrong with his shield, Aggu would learn of it eventually. Or Matax could tell her if she forced him, which she seemed more than able to do. And then she’d provide Wyrn’s rescue, and everyone could move on.

“Miss?” a voice hissed.

Vadde blinked herself awake but saw no one.

“Miss?” the voice said again, clearer.

When Vadde glanced on her left, beside the wagon, she was taken aback to see a huge creature walking beside them. Its body may have been greenish, its hair was moss. It had a massive, reddened nose and was otherwise naked with rubbery flesh.

Despite its formidable size, its voice was young. “Are you all right, Miss? You can see us, correct?”

A troll. At first glance, he was frightening but now, perhaps thanks to these Fae eyes, she saw nothing but gentleness in his curious gaze.

Judging from his close proximity, Orm couldn’t perceive him.

“The giants—”

“Stop the giants,” Vadde whispered. From where did those words come? She was sad upon saying them but whispered it again, “Please. Stop the giants from coming. But do not harm them.”

The troll’s thick brows scrunched together. Despite its tusks, it spoke freely. “If that is your wish.”

And then it stopped following them. Instead, it stood, watching the wagon move on. All around, more and more creatures came into view.

They were everywhere. And they were all aware of her and her situation. Her embarrassment stemmed from their look of confusion. No. She did not want this. She did not want any of this. But she also did not want bloodshed on her behalf, be it human or giant.

And Wyrn was small compared to his brothers. And…what was in his shield was worth protecting. Her rescue would only benefit her and no one else.

So Vadde kept her gaze low to avoid the disapproval from all the faces around her staring inquisitively, asking why she did not kick and scream.

Because there was no sense in fighting anymore. She’d had nearly a year of safety. And she’d had months upon months of happiness, and she’d found love. And it was strong but fleeting and she’d made a mess of it by opening that shield.

Aggu wouldn’t have been desperate enough to summon Orm and then whisk her away.

And Wyrn’s family would remain whole.

Vadde’d found no hump below that shield. However, she’d discovered Aggu’s secret she was desperate to conceal—Wyrn was no giant. He was something else. And this woman was willing to scheme and kill to keep everyone, even her son, from knowing that.

Matax’s question of what he was made more sense now. Vadde struggled to understand it as well. So, what would Vadde’s rescue mean? A revealing of Wyrn’s mother’s terrible actions or revealing of Wyrn’s shaky parentage?

Wyrn was a giant in his own mind; his back was hunched but he was respected.

He had a giant as a father.

A wonderful, doting mother.

And a loving family.

But if he rescued her, that would all vanish.

He would lose all that, only to gain a cursed wife.

No. Vadde needed no rescue.

***

Jar firmly affixed to his belt, Wyrn stood as he sent the horse into a faster gallop. They’d left well after Bonn but were making good time.

His father raced on a steed of his own. “We cannot take the horses all the way.”

They didn’t need to get all the way. Just to where the enchantments started.

Wyrn held on, urging the beast to speed up.

His father was a far better rider but stayed behind him if not by his side. This was Wyrn’s responsibility after all.

“Why take the fairy?” the man yelled.

After glancing down at the seemingly empty jar, Wyrn shook his head and confessed, “I don’t know.” He yelled out, “It’s just a feeling.”

Everything in him said to bring this Fae along. It should have been healed by now but not its temper. Once set free, the fairy would seek its revenge. At this moment, more so from Wyrn than the princess. And yet…he couldn’t leave it.

The first boulder came with a shout and it landed close enough that the horse nearly threw him.

Both he and his father recovered.

Bonn and company raced from out of the woods, forced into the path by yet another rock and then another.

“Trolls!” Bonn screamed. One rock, set to strike him, shattered midair.

That made no sense, but Wyrn observed the same thing again with several of his brothers.

“The trolls are breaking the ones set to hit us,” Wyrn observed.

And he was willing to stake his life on it because another rock sailed his way. He waited. Sure enough, yet another boulder slammed into it and it shattered before reaching him.

Relief came with the realization that they weren’t in mortal danger.

His father steadied his horse and stopped beside Wyrn. “They mean to keep us out.”

“But to what end?” Wyrn scanned the trees. “And only The Living Goddess commanded all creatures of magic. Why would she hold us off?”

Father shook his head, defeated. “I do not know. But I am…hesitant to disobey her.” He turned to his son and said, “Perhaps she means to keep the princess and prince safe? She has business with them?”

Wyrn wasn’t at all sure. He clenched his jaw, debating how to tell his father he planned to defy the goddess herself.

“I wish only to check on their safety. Can’t I go for that much?”

He wouldn’t look at his father, but the man said nothing, forcing their gazes to meet.

“You know we cannot,” Father finally said. “For now, they are keeping us back. Should we tread further, those rocks won’t be broken on our behalf.”

Behind them, a ruckus sounded.

Relief came with the sight of the two women on horseback racing toward them.

“Mother.” Wyrn told his father, “She’ll know what to do. She’s met the goddess before. If she says we can go, I will go on my own.”

 

3