BONUS 3 of 6 (AFTER BOOK 2)
23 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

WARNING: This bonus chapter takes place after the second book "The Hunchback's Fairy King Problem." I'd hoped to make "The Hunchback's Fairy King Problem" a standalone so if you have read it first, it's important to NOT read this bonus chapter until you've read "The Hunchback's Reluctant Bride" as there are many big spoilers. Once again, this bonus takes place after "The Hunchback's Reluctant Bride" and "The Hunchback's Fairy King Problem." If you have not read both of these stories, it's best not to read this bonus chapter.

" If you have not read both of these stories, it's best not to read this bonus chapter

The bite of the night air spoke of winter. Wyrn took one fleeting glance at the office of the new magistrate then leapt from the window. In truth, a fairy could keep flying, even while asleep or unconscious. Surely, something similar happened now as he flew higher into the night sky.

Fatigue weighed him down. As he traveled, he allowed his eyes to rove the land—his land. His land that he was fortunate enough to reclaim once more.

Even the hustle and bustle of the town quieted when he passed over. That was a consequence of his arrogance and power.

Once upon a time, the Fairy King set out to conquer the world. He took the entire continent. Anyone fearing his arrival learned to recognize the glow of his wings fast. It was usually the last thing they saw before he either burned their homes or brought them under his rule.

Armed with his night Fae, he spread everywhere and he would have traveled further and further if he hadn't been poisoned to death.

Wyrn recalled the terror he rained down everywhere he went. Perhaps the old Fairy King, the version of himself before he'd died, could argue it was a just rule but it had not been.

It had simply been a mighty one. And one without end because all knew the Fairy King, unlike the Fairy Queen, was immortal and would return for what was his.

A small village came into view finally and he touched down by a newly built hut. It was rebuilt bigger than the last. Upon returning home from his travels to find it, Wyrn had been touched. He'd also been relieved.

He needed to leave this fairy form before his presence attracted any night Fae.

Feet feeling heavy with each step, he soldiered on to his door. The lamplight set the window shimmering. It took every bit of the last of Wyrn's energy to jump up and catch that windowsill. Finally, he dragged himself up.

No sooner had he sat, a hand grabbed him and the window slammed shut.

"Are you mad! What if someone sees you?"

Vadde's warm grip had Wyrn curling up in her palm. He was tempted to sleep right then and there just like that.

"Husband, no. Come back to mortal form. Please. You cannot stay like that. You'll attract others."

Though she put a kiss on his head, she rubbed his back then traced his wings, forcing them to twitch in response.

"I'm too tired," Wyrn complained. "Please let me rest."

But the strokes kept on. His wings responded but his body, at once immediately stimulated with this type of touch, simply couldn't react.

Vadde looked left and right, scanning their little house for a possible solution. Finally, she wore an unsure grimace as she smoothed Wyrn's wings with both hands then held them close to his back.

Wyrn's body trembled in response. He started to grow and after she put him on the bed and he ballooned into his usual human form, she continued stroking his now bare back.

Something caused her to gasp and yank her hand away.

Too exhausted to look, he remained resting stomach first on the bed.

"Your wings are still too powerful to tame," Vadde complained."

One advantage to having restored their destroyed home was a bigger bed. She climbed above him now, clinging to his back as she held him tight.

She more than knew of the solution but when Wyrn opened his weary eyes to spy the shield by the door, he groaned internally.

"I'm sorry you hate it," she apologized.

He didn't necessarily hate it—not for the reasons she'd thought.

"Don't you hate it?" Wyrn challenged.

The silence was telling. Her hands still stroked his sides. When she was satisfied that his wings would calm for a bit longer without the shield and spell to force them dormant, she slipped off him yet continued to trace his back.

"Would you—would you like to make love?"

It wasn't her words that had Wyrn turning his head to face her, it was the tentative tone.

Truthfully, they were both tired, but Wyrn had somehow convinced himself that he was the only one. She still wore the nightgown he'd purchased with the stolen dwarf gold.

Wyrn caught her around the waist with one hand and yanked her closer. "How do you have the energy?" he complained.

They shared a kiss and her hands came up to his chest. It was a habit left over from when he wore the shield and she could not freely wrap her arms around his torso.

Following a second kiss, she put her forehead against his, confessing, "I'm just worried you'll...you'll regret this and—and blame me."

Blame her.

A baby's cry broke through the air and her expression fell. The bawling wasn't the reason for her defeat. They waited.

Sure enough, a second set of cries accompanied the first.

When Vadde's eyes closed, Wyrn finally saw her exhaustion as well. He held her face, stroking her cheek until their eyes met.

He was sure to kiss her and whisper despite the ruckus. "I don't regret this. Stop saying such things." He ran his hands down her neck, finally bringing it to her now ample breasts. "And look at the fine attributes of our labor."

Brows creased at first, Vadde let out a laugh.

Wyrn took another kiss. "I'm definitely not complaining about the aesthetics." But when her nightgown dampened, he sat up. "Well, I guess we know why they're crying."

Vadde caught her clothes at the bosom, genuinely embarrassed. "I'm sorry."

"Come now. There's no reason to apologize. I think it's sweet."

With a groan, Wyrn lumbered to his feet, grabbed his own pajama from the end of the bed and yanked it on.

"Wyrn...?" Vadde called.

The name was so uncommon for her that he knew her meaning almost instantly.

Sure enough, when Wyrn looked back at himself, his wings had reappeared.

"Damn." At least he could keep his human form despite their visibility—few fairies could accomplish this. It was his proof of his identity, however. "I don't think they'll give of the fairy dust while this big," he assured her. "So, no night Fae can follow it."

Vadde sat up as well. "Are you sure?"

Instead of answering, Wyrn traveled across the room to the two bassinets. He picked up one child then the other and brought them to her. The little bodies wiggling against him made him laugh.

"Good that they're this hungry. They'll go right to sleep once they are fed," Wyrn attested.

A growl sounded from outside and Wyrn slowed in his stride. He was careful to put the children in Vadde's arms before walking to the window to call out, "Everything's fine here, constable. You can move along."

The growl grew more ravenous, followed by low muffles as the werewolf transformed. Without opening the window, there was no way to know how far into the shift was necessary for the creature to talk.

"Are you sure, sir? I—I could have sworn I smelled a fairy."

Vadde let out a gasp and Wyrn held his hand up to her to ask for calm.

Times like these when some of their new citizens noticed an unknown fairy presence, Wyrn did what he always did—he offered Matax up.

"Probably Jeze and Matax playing tricks."

"Unlikely, sir, as Matax was reported missing this morning."

This was news. Wyrn waited then answered, "Well, we're all right. Circle around once more then retire for the night."

"Yes, sir." Another growl came and then a howl which died away.

Wyrn turned to make his way back to Vadde who watched him in worry.

"What did he say about Matax?"

"Don't worry. He's likely up to no good. Here."

Positioning Vadde to allow both babies to feed in unison was no easy task.

Once they latched, Wyrn pulled up a chair. He found it annoying but appropriate that even without a shield, he was forced to turn his chair sideways to accommodate his back. This time, not for a hunch, but for the wings.

He sat with his hands on his knees, watching the children as they ate. When his eyes traveled to Vadde who checked their progress, a warm sense of pride filled Wyrn's gut.

"You look beautiful with them."

Truthfully, she looked a fright. Her hair was barely combed, and the bags under her eyes probably mirrored his own but that couldn't be helped with how they'd been awake every two hours for the last six months whenever these two had to eat.

Wyrn missed sleep. He missed it so much that the thought of a good long nap was likely to get him physically erect instead of the prospect of actual sex.

It was late when the babies slept, and he took one then the other and returned them to their resting place across the room. They were far enough to be undisturbed by their parents' talking but close enough to receive rescue.

The old hut had one floor and one big room. This one had a second room further back. Wyrn often joked that it was for the babies but never utilized it. He and Vadde had even decorated it together.

When she was ready for bed, Wyrn climbed in with her, but she reminded him, "Wings."

"Right." Wyrn looked back at them but sighed when his efforts to will them closed had no effect. "I'll get the shield."

Vadde watched him cross the room to the shield which he slung on his back. The wings promptly vanished and he buckled the straps.

He rolled his shoulders and fell into bed beside her. What he usually saw at night was a smile. Tonight, he was greeted with a frown.

Wyrn held her face. His intent was to assure her again but, in this instance, he realized something—perhaps he wasn't the one in need of those assurances.

Her worry was why he looked her over for the first time in six months. Before they had a family, lying in bed petting each other had been common, had been comforting. Since the new arrivals, he'd barely the strength to return a kiss.

But from her point of view, maybe there was more to it. She'd been awake nearly as long as he and yet, he was the one near dead from exhaustion.

Therefore, he forced himself to find the strength to stroke down her leg then up again, bringing the nightgown along.

Tonight, their love making was...different. For one, he hadn't bothered to bring her gown over her head, and she hadn't bothered to either. In fact, he wasn't even naked himself.

Instead, he appreciated the closeness and her muffled cries into his mouth once she fell on her back and dragged him by the waist to follow.

As her original form was human, it was far easier for her to maintain it. Becoming a fairy again proved a challenge for Vadde usually. While Wyrn, especially in the throes, had to will the wings not to unfold completely and pull him into the air. So using the shield did lead to more carefree intimacy on his part.

He could thrust into her till the hilt, enjoying each lunge without fear of losing his senses. Now, in this body, he tried to remember how it had been when he was the Fairy King.

Those were dangerous thoughts, so he pushed them away, instead, enjoying his wife's obvious pleasure.

Her final gasp left him smiling and he yanked her down with his next thrust and shuddered into her.

For some time, they lay tangled in one another.

A knock at the door had Wyrn picking his head up. Vadde roused as well, hurrying to pull her underclothes on.

"Who could that be at this time of night?"

Their eyes met and Wyrn admitted, "I have no idea. Stay here. I can whistle for the constable if needed."

But Vadde caught his arm, reminding him. "You went out as the Fairy King tonight. What if someone followed your path back here?"

What of it? All it would mean was a fight. He wanted to remind her that she was always safe. As the Fairy King and the Fairy Queen were traditionally enemies, she and the children would always be spared.

But words like that would only send her into a panic so instead, he kissed her lips, made his lance in his fist, and yanked up his trousers.

"Stay put," Wyrn told her, gesturing toward the babies.

She shot to her feet and hurried to take on a readied stance before them.

Wyrn's heart was in his mouth by the time he turned to the door. He didn't want a fight, not right now, not while being his weak. His instincts would take over and there'd be no telling the destruction he could unleash. It would certainly have an effect on the children.

Lance at the ready, Wyrn yanked the door open.

There was no one there.

He risked stepping out.

A black body lunged in. "I'm dying! I'm dying!"

Vadde yelped. Wyrn, however, reabsorbed the lance energy and turned to look down at the dark-skinned man.

"Get up," he said, giving him a kick. "Get up."

"No. Let me die. I'd rather die."

Vadde sighed. "He cannot be serious. Again?"

Usually, this bastard's counterpart wasn't far behind and sure enough, she wasn't.

"Matax!" Jeze came running up the path, a baby in hand. "Matax. Stop being petty."

Arms sprawled out on the floor, the fairy-now-human continued to lament. "Just let me die."

Jeze hefted the bundle into Wyrn's hands and zipped from view. A second later, Matax also shrunk before a force threw him into the air.

He didn't fly, however, he plummeted. His once yellow shimmer had dulled over the last six months. So, when he landed on the ground with a flop and the yellow dust rose then vanished, both Vadde and Wyrn gasped.

A second later, Jeze popped back into existence, her hands at her mouth.

It was probably a joke, Wyrn concluded.

He waited for Jeze to dress again before he risked inching over to look at the little black fairy where Matax should be.

"Is he...?" Vadde asked.

Wyrn examined the limp little body and came to a grim conclusion. "He's turned into a night Fae, yes." He squinted then scoffed. "What a weak coward."

Matax's rise to his feet was slow but came with a growl. "You insufferable, useless excuse for a king!"

His bellow had Wyrn raising his fist in warning.

Matax, now entirely black save for his blue eyes, looked up at him and quieted.

One power of the Fairy King Wyrn used now—the power to transform a fairy against his will. With a wave of his hand, Matax took mortal form once more. He looked the same as before, but his skin color was now bronze.

"You are truly a night Fae," Wyrn marveled. He turned to Jeze and asked, "How exactly?"

She held the child close, anger wafting off her despite her fairy colors of yellow just moments ago.

"Because he's petty." She told Matax, "No, I will not give the baby away."

"Well, we don't have to turn it into a sacrifice. Plenty of species would value a human-ish child!"

She stared him down then turned with her back to him. "Go on and be brokenhearted then. See if I care."

Matax clutched his gut. "Look. Look at what you're doing! You're killing me and don't even care."

Wyrn put a hand over Matax's face, and the stupid fairy shut up.

Once the house quieted, Wyrn turned to Matax and explained, "You've turned into a night Fae because you're in love—"

"And spurned."

Of that, Wyrn wasn't sure. But he did know one truth. "Because you're in love. Now, you can leave or you can accept it. But know that if you go, your paths will never cross again. You know this because of legend. But I know this because I know what an angry fairy can turn into. Jeze will more than likely hate you till your dying day."

Matax turned his face away.

He was so stubborn.

"You—" Vadde began but Wyrn raised his hand to silence her.

Matax was being foolish. He'd known this transformation was coming. He must have surely known the moment he went to such lengths to save her.

Wyrn glanced back at Vadde then Matax and it dawned on him.

Assurances.

"There's room in her heart to care about you and a new life, you dumb fairy."

Matax remained indigent. Finally, he rested his gaze on Jeze who was all but shivering in her anger.

"Look," Wyrn explained. "She even came all this way in the dead of night to follow you around like some dramatic banshee."

After a long, grueling silence, Matax took the shaky steps needed to reach Jeze. He hugged her from behind and her tense shoulders calmed.

The moment she turned in his hold, Wyrn sighed in relief.

"I'm sorry about your pretty colors, Matax," Jeze said. "I know that's why you're upset. From blue to yellow, now to black."

It was a scowl Matax wore but it faded in time as he patted her head. "It's all right. It'll be a beautiful contrast when I take you."

Vadde grunted in disgust. Wyrn shook his head, Jeze laughed.

"Good point," she said. "Put some clothes on and we'll go take them off again."

She raced out and Matax snatched up his trousers and shirt, complaining as he ran after her naked, "Well why bother then? Unless this is a trick! It's no trick, right? At least those blasted laughing fits have ended. I hope you know that a verbal agreement is binding!"

Once they were swallowed up by the night, Wyrn closed the door while shaking his head.

"I'd thought it was already a miracle we got two children. But the fact that they naturally got even the one means the universe truly does have a sense of humor," Wyrn drawled.

Once he came to a stop at the bassinets, he took Vadde by the waist. He was sure to stroke her arm.

"We'll be all right. We can do this. Look," he said, meeting eyes with her, "even fate's decided Matax can care for a child. Surely, we can't do any worse."

Her look of woe had been a constant for the last six months, peppered in with bouts of joy and fatigue. Perhaps she hadn't expected children to be such a handful. She definitely hadn't expected two because Wyrn hadn't either.

Now, when he squeezed her arm and took a kiss, he was greeted with a look of ease and safety.

"We'll be all right," Wyrn repeated, stroking her arm yet again.

No, he couldn't be the Fairy King in the open but considering all the damage he'd done in his past life and all the damage he was capable now with the power of the Jaffo at his fingertips, maybe it was all right just being the hunchback for a bit longer.

Besides, he'd found love and happiness just fine that way.

2