2 JOY
30 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Fanli'd seen few eyes as weary as her mother's. Now, seven years later, so many misadventures from age ten, their family of four was now a family of three.

In Fanli's effort to do something different, she swept her hair up and considered the best way to tie it.

A deep intake of breath came with panic. "Your neck! Cover your neck," Mother's voice called.

Movements slow, Fanli did as she was told. She sat waiting for further instructions.

A pair of rough hands brought more butterflies to put on the floor of their cave. Fanli's heart leapt. They were beautiful. She opened her mouth to gush but her mother's sharp gaze snatched that praise right out of her throat. Ogres didn't show extreme emotions of joy. That was a fairy and human failing.

"I haven't killed them," her mother said, annoyed.

The tone meant one thing—Fanli was un-ogre-like. Now the business with the hair embarrassed her all the more. In truth, while males often did it, she'd never seen an ogre female with her hair up. She didn't dare ask why.

"They're merely petrified but it won't last forever. Know this."

"Yes, Mama." Fanli let her eyes rove over the vivid colors bleeding off the delicate, now stiff, wings of the insects before her. Though ogres did not vocalize their happiness much, they did take great pleasure in things of beauty. Fanli just had to learn to keep her heart safer—closed. She didn't like making her parents worry. Especially now with Bati gone and the reasons.

A typical—perhaps better—ogre matriarch would probably beat these human habits out of Fanli but she felt fortunate that her mother did not take a club to either of them. Often, Father grumbled that was the problem and why Bati'd turned out the way she did.

The issue with Bati be forgiven, Fanli decided to entertain the idea of this meeting, at least to save face. And if she were honest with herself, the idea of being sought after was flattering. But much like the last butterfly pluck up and tucked in her hair with care, she wondered if being desired had a good ending. Her family would let he butterflies fly away, Fanli could never stand seeing them perish, but most ogres would share them on the outing as a treat.

She was not going to eat them. But it was desire that prompted their capture, so what did this date hold for her?

Her mother wore the typical top and loincloth of all hunter ogres of her generation. Fanli...wore a dress.

And it wasn't that her mother hadn't tried. It certainly wasn't that Fanli hadn't tried either. But being so exposed was simply beyond her.

The last of the petrified butterflies decorating her hair, along with twigs and moss, she stood in a common frock she'd made for herself with the hunchback's wife.

"Well, he knows you wear dresses. So, it's his own fault if it troubles him. Surely, he knows who he's come for."

He should. Fanli was somewhat infamous, but it was hard not to be after Bati.

Ogre powers were limited. They controlled life—to a point. They did not, however, enjoy reflections of life and therefore, mirrors left ogres unsettled. Fanli had to take her mother's word of her looks now for truth.

Her father thundered in from the front of the cave. When he caught sight of her, he gave off a weak smile. "He's here." In time, the smile faded. "You let her wear a dress?"

Mother wouldn't look at him. "So now it's my fault?"

The gravel in her voice meant a fight so Fanli hurried past her father and into the main area. What she encountered was a massive ogre. He stood with a basket under one arm, freshly made loincloth, wearing a wolf hide like a sash.

He towered over her easily. Long black hair shaved on all sides, leaving one bound ponytail at the top. Even Fanli, who rarely took part in admiring ogre males, could recognize his good features.

Lowgli.

On their hillside, there were many families. Fanli felt like each and every one watched their descend. Her parents certainly did. Mother beamed with pride. Father looked worried.

Fanli glanced back at them once then followed behind the big ogre waiting for her.

Lowgli, having left the wolf hide with her family as tribute, led the way. Upon seeing the docks closing in, Fanli opened her mouth to protest.

There was no need. They passed it by. Instead of water or hills, they eventually sat in an open field.

Fanli wasn't sure why until the sun started to fade for the day.

"This is the best place to see the night consume the dusk," Lowgli muttered. He put the basket between them and waited for Fanli to sit before doing the same.

Always aware of her surroundings, Fanli took in the forest on all sides, fearful. If all went to plan, she reminded herself there was reason for this wide area and seclusion.

To his credit, Lowgli didn't force himself close to her like other males had in the past. In fact, he seemed painfully aware of her peculiarities.

The basket between them, they watched the reds and yellows of the fading day cling to the heavens before surrendering to the night's intrusion.

It was still early when Lowgli said, "I'm surprised you agreed to meet me."

Fanli was as well. But she was actually more surprised that he wanted to meet her—Bati's name was never said with anything but a head-shake.

"What—what do you do usually?"

Lowgli turned his golden eyes on her, proud. "Mostly hunting. I'm one of the few good at removing brownies without bashing 'em. Other days, we go into a few towns to carry lumber and stone for the humans. The pays not bad. We've even started asking for coin now instead of gifts."

Coins? "How modern," Fanli said, genuinely impressed.

"It's all right, suppose. But it's hard to enchant metals. My father says it's foolish to not take gifts. Since it's still good currency."

His laugh had Fanli doing the same. All in all, he wasn't what she expected. He was thoughtful, and kind. And everything about his aura spoke of calm.

That meant he was clever.

"What?" he asked, noticing her scrutiny.

Fanli thought to deny it but wanted to test just how 'modern' he could be.

"You're not at all what I'd expected from a hunter."

A huge laugh left him. Two birds took flight.

He smiled at her. "Of course. I'm a hunter. You can't catch brownies with sugar. And I know I can't catch you with throwing a few deer at your father's feet to buy you." When he calmed, his eyes held sincerity. "I like your dresses."

Stunned, Fanli blinked at him.

She would have taken it for a lie if not for how he looked away.

"I can see the shape of you just fine, but it...it feels nice to know no one else will. Isn't that kind of nice?"

Alarmed, Fanli found herself crossing her arms and rubbing her shoulders.

"And I don't care what people say about your sister. No one can ever say they've seen you do something like her."

Fanli willed him to change the subject.

Her silence must have been why he did just that.

"But are ogres supposed to just keep beating compliancy out of each other forever?" He met eyes with Fanli when he told her, "You know about the first ogre?"

Few did.

Perhaps this was a test. She settled on honesty.

"A human prince who slighted the fairy queen."

He smiled wide. "No. The human prince who slighted the human princess."

This caught Fanli's attention. She turned to face him entirely, knees at her chest.

At her interest, he told her, "They were lovers. Faced with riches or love, he chose riches, and it broke her heart. So she went to the fairy queen and cried without pause."

Fanli's lips parted. "The ogre's lament."

"The prince kept gaining riches, but his heart turned black. When he sought her out, the fairy already had her. Her bitterness had transformed her. He still professed his love, but she couldn't perceive him. So, he tried to prove it by giving her his treasure. Each bit that he gave, she could transform back into a human. But not for long. So, he gave more and more until he had nothing. Finally, with his riches spent, he began lamenting as well. Regretful that he'd caused all this wronging. He sat down and cried and she shared his treasure with him, and they decided to remain that way. Instead of changing, they kept the last of his treasure between them."

Lips still parted, Fanli allowed this strange sense of joy to wash over her. He was thoughtful.

"And that's why, when someone tries to use ogre treasure to attack the ogre that made it...."

Fanli gasped. "They turn into ogres themselves."

In the small smirk of his full lips, the world widened. The night shrunk at his back, and she felt incorporeal. The shock washing through her took time to ebb. Even she'd never thought of why ogre treasure, despite its immense power, had this one drawback. But Lowgli had.

Doubt crept into her mind, but she decided—even if it were a lie, it was a rather beautiful, if not convincing, one. She was happy in life—but she always suspicious.

She saw him differently after that story, however.

The strength of his face wasn't as handsome as Pest's, nor was his hair as long. But...perhaps that was okay.

"Here. My gifts," he said, opening the basket.

Fanli found herself leaning away rather than forward. Lowgli took out the first rat and it was a big one. He handed it to her—it was petrified at least, so it didn't move.

But as petrified animals were still very much aware, she perceived the palpable fear in the little creature's eyes. Its heartbeat was shallow, and it drew slow breaths in her grip.

"You...." Lowgli hesitated but said, "You didn't know the story of the first ogres, did you?"

Rather than focus on the course furred body in her grip, she welcomed the question. "Did you make it up?"

His curiosity whittled down into a grimace. "Every ogre knows it."

Fanli flinched. She didn't mean to tighten her hold. Upon realizing it, she countered that action yet again. Lowgli's words shamed her, and it was because they brought her status as an ogre into question.

Lowgli glanced from the uneaten rat to her then back again, suggesting, "Maybe...you should spend more time with other ogres for once?"

She managed a nod, though she could barely feel it.

"Fairies serve The Living Goddess," he reminded her.

But he didn't need to finish the rest; he waited for her to do the honors.

"Ogres serve the Fairy Queen." The same one responsible for creating ogres, apparently.

Lowgli tried to reach for the rat, but Fanli's grip tightened around it. When their eyes met, Lowgli brimmed with pride. Perhaps now she was being 'ogre' enough.

"As soon as you swallow, it'll awaken. It feels pretty good going down. I've brought plenty."

Fanli cradled the gift, searching around for a place to put it. Eventually, she shoved the poor thing under her dress and sat up straight when Lowgli turned to find her hands empty.

"Oh. You're fast. I've got more. Let's share the last two."

"If—if it's all the same, I'd rather have those two."

Lowgli paused to regard her in doubt. Finally, he smiled. "You're nothing like the rumors. But I should have known. Nobody can resist rats this big. Here. But don't get too full."

The next two rats disappeared below Fanli's frock much in the same fashion, she prayed Lowgli's words were true, and they'd only awaken when swallowed. Otherwise, it would be hell explaining their presence under her dress.

One twitched.

Fanli sat with her eyes wide. She willed it not to move but another rat flinched. Breaths coming fast, Fanli gripped the hem of her dress, forcing it down.

"Wait till you see...." Lowgli reached into the basket with both hands and held up a huge cat. "This little guy." He explained, "Most ogres can't appreciate the aftereffects of cat. They think it's too mild, but it does wonders for a female's skin." He held it out in front of her. "I'll consider it an acceptance of my proposal."

Fanli hadn't much experience with shy males. All around her were bold, some loud, others demanding, but few...tentative.

Despite the coarse fur brushing against her knee as one rat roused, she took in the kind expression before her. Lowgli was a good catch. Even she could admit that. But then her eyes drifted as it eventually had to. When it settled on the animal he held before her, all tinglings of joy escaped her body.

This was irrational. Even humans ate animals.

So she could eat this, too.

Fanli took the petrified cat. She looked down at it then across to Lowgli who watched her with an eager smile.

Another flinch from one of the rats—a look of woe and terror from the cat.

The smile Fanli forced got wider and wider.

While Lowgli waited, she did as well.

Ten minutes later, she made her way home alone, a brand-new basket, a pet cat and three rats inside. The last of the butterflies in her hair awakened and flew away, abandoning her much like the ogre who found her too strange for good company.

She lumbered rather than walked proud. Now, the basket's inhabitants shifted and turned inside, reminding her of the life within.

Once she reached the base of her hillside home, she put the basket down and opened it with the intent of setting the poor things free.

Instead of one cat and three rats, she found...one cat.

Fanli picked it up to find an empty basket otherwise. When she met eyes with the feline, she gritted her teeth. "You...."

The cat let out a hiss, scratched her, then, when she dropped it, scurried off, bold and aware that at least it was a proper cat.

The moon hung high above her home. Mother sat at the mouth of the cave, waiting for her. Fanli let out a sigh.

She was tired of disappointing everyone.

Would it have been so bad just to eat the rats? At least the rats? It had been a good gift. And a good night. The sky was fine, the male was fine, the gift...admittedly, was more than fine. Yet they'd meant nothing. All thoughts of returning home to that cave to excitement she'd have to dispel ate her up inside.

Instead of climbing up, she turned and ran into the night, no longer interested in being an ogre. Only one person knew how to make her human.

Fanli's feet landed faster and faster as she moved. Like all ogres, she was barefoot, stomping past twigs and pine cones in her hurried effort to break through the night. Deep in the forest, she came upon a petite human woman. Her hair was jet black, skin pale, eyes a rich brown, and her smile, always big and full.

Bati.

She'd transformed into a human and never turned back. Fanli's sister spied her from across the embers of the fire. That usual smile grew and she said, "I knew you'd come."

0