BOOK 2: CHAPTER 5
26 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Later that day, Nala hid herself behind a pillar in the courtyard and hurried to change her clothing. The Leveler King, often busy in the day, might see her wearing rags, covering for the injured or infirmed, but she didn't care. The other fancy robe drew far too much attention. She concluded that was the reason some females followed her.

Nala missed her farm. She longed for it now that she was left to roam the stone walls of the fortress without much to do. In truth, she had been sorrowful for a time. It was foolish, beyond foolish to pine for something she couldn't have. Despite knowing this deep down, she had acted foolishly with sulking. Her Leveler King's patience brought her back to her senses.

A series of shrieks from the playing field fueled her to work faster in hiding the fancy robe gifted from the king. She would go without it now, but when she retired for bed, she wanted to wear it. She didn't get many gifts from him, but she relished them all.

Tucking the robe neatly behind a row of bushes by the flowerbed, she waited for the fluttering petals to calm; she didn't want the damn things to eat her robe.

Shrieks after shrieks sound again and she was eager to go see. Summoners.

Nala rushed to the edge of the walkway and peered at the gates. The announcement must have been mistaken. But sure enough, the stone barriers receded to blue body after blue body marching into the roost. Again, when the shrieks relayed and she'd heard that Summoners were entering the city, she nearly jumped out of her skin, she was so happy. She told herself the king's decision had nothing to do with her, but deep down, she made a mental note to give Indel whatever manner of affection he requested in the days to come. It might mean Nala would have to put on a performance. Even though she wouldn't admit to favoring them, now she didn't have to. She could say it was a reward for this. He was allowing Summoners to take shelter in Leveler roosts. That was far safer now with the Earthers gone—taking with them their Earthman provision of fancy structures.

She brushed her rags off and looked up to the tall pillars. The city was carved out of the very mountain, its black walls towered over her.

Though it was sometimes hard to tell Idrus apart from the others at this distance—up close his larger size was recognizable—Nala could marked her king by one important factor, he didn't allow the shell of his face plate to form. And it was for her benefit. As anticipated, she peered up from her flowerbed and into the meeting room where the king often watched her.

At this distance, they could still spy each other. Today, rather than only the faceplate, Idrus's entire helmet was gone; he resembled Indel greatly due to the fact. She stared at the king, confused. He looked like Indel. But by now, since this morning's lay, the Leveler King had no doubt reverted back to a lower stage. The expression on Idrus's face made Nala smile. Sharp teeth gritted, Idrus shook his head, disapproving of her changing out of the robe.

Nala considered the best way to communicate her flattery. Legs apart, she turned and picked her tattered robe up at the back.

Her rear end adequately displayed, she turned again with the intent to gloat but fell silent when Sessel's disapproving frown was all that greeted her instead of her king. Idrus was gone.

Lowering the fabric, Nala tried to fight back her worry. Sessel despised her, and not just slightly.

In the king's presence the aged Leveler was generous and humble but other times, she threatened to take a whip to Nala's back like an Earth-man herding livestock.

Nala thought maybe that was an elder's way; force was something the Leveler's all knew well.

Taking the stone steps two by two down, she leaped from one white perch to the next until she fell into the training grounds below. The area hummed with Leveler chatter.

It all fell quiet, and Nala, proud and stunned, watched as Leveler after Leveler fell on one knee in greeting the parade of Summoners. She hadn't expected an army to show such respect to simple Summoner refugees.

Pride welled in Nala when she considered that she was the king's favorite. And not just his favorite; she could say whatever she wanted, opposed whatever she wanted, and Indel would only gripe before giving in. The easiest by far was Idrus. He terrified Nala in that stage. Sharp spikes extended when a Leveler grew agitated. Idrus had only allowed it a handful of times before he simply waited until he was Indel again before discussing whatever issue bothered them.

Nala was the king's favorite. Her gut burned with the joy of knowing that.

The size of the stage-one Summoners who came through the archway stole Nala's very ability to breathe.

These weren't just refugees...they were guards—bodyguards. Only one Summoner was ever safe from Earther abuse.

"The Queen...."

A shadow fell over Nala and she froze. She recognized it to be one of the Shoki females. Hearts racing, Nala told herself to be brave—Levelers responded to fear. That fact, and only that, was why this specific clutch of Levelers shadowed her so often. That had to be the reason.

"Well look here. A blue vermin, straying from her sheltered garden."

The red body to walk from Nala's peripheral came to a stop before her. Then another, and another. Ten of them. One Leveler was more than enough to cause damage.

As slow as Nala dared, she looked back at the meeting room to find it hidden by the ledge above her. Idiot. She'd fallen into a blind-spot.

So this hadn't been her imagination all this time—she was being hunted.

"Summoner," another one drawled, "I will eat your head."

Clicks sounded all around. Nala summoned as much courage as she could muster in her weakened body. Fear crippled her.

"When the king hears of this—"

"So bold!"

The lead Leveler struck and Nala closed her eyes tight.

Nothing. No impact. One gentle click sounded, then another. The area was abuzz with chatter when Nala finally managed to will her eyes open.

Sessel, the one to have caught the Leveler's arm, spikes and all, threw it down yet again.

"Have you lost all manner of rational judgement? This is the king's favored."

"He will not know who—"

"Of course, he will know who. He can smell it."

Sessel's admonishment calmed Nala. It also wrecked her with guilt for having been suspicious of her. The Leveler had good hearts after all.

"I understand the anger. I share it, too," Sessel said, scanning the irate females around her. "He wasted his seed on this one and left you with nothing. I understand it. But this one is different. Should you harm this Summoner, the king will seek revenge."

The clicks this time came with stomping of feet, and not both, but one. The left dug into the ground, with the right of each Leveler there scratching, finding purchase before an attack.

When said attack didn't come, Nala scanned them, emboldened. All they could do was posture and nothing more. All this time, for months, she'd avoided them. And it was unnecessary. She could roam freely without a care.

"Very well," Sessel agreed, "I'll let you have your way."

Nala was slow to look at her. "What?"

Sessel ignored her and told the lead Leveler, "Five lashes for each of you. Is that fair? Would that appease the Shoki?"

The click that time showed dissatisfaction but Sessel's cold expression never changed.

Strikes? Nala stepped back. Did this crazed Leveler intend to let these females each strike her five times?

"But we cannot touch the Summoner if what you say is true," one said.

"Best to kill it, so it cannot complain," another echoed.

"You need not worry." Sessel reached below her robes and unhitched something. When the whip cascaded to the ground, Nala stepped back. "I'd be more than happy to offer help."

A cracking sound tore through the stillness and something sliced through Nala's back.

"On your knees, wretch. Do you think you're too proud to bow! You've heard my decree."

The gruffness in Sessel's voice was one Nala knew well, but the edge on it was unfamiliar. She turned in time to see Sessel's sharp glare before the aging Leveler struck again.

2