BOOK 2: CHAPTER 12
18 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"She kept them too long!" Idsel screeched, pacing back and forth in an effort not to reach for Citel's throat.

"Calm yourself, Daga," Sessel soothed, her hands raised. "This is the queen's first brood. It is not uncommon to keep them too long. It's inexperience and nothing more."

Her words brought Idsel to a halt. He stared past Sessel to Citel's morose expression. It could be true what Sessel'd said, but the way Citel moved when they mated said differently. She knew what she was doing, and she'd done it before. There was no discomfort when he'd penetrated her.

Beyond pleased, Sessel stepped past them and surveyed the water.

"This is a great batch. It'll strengthen the others to come rather easily." Sessel turned to them, beaming. "We must perform the ceremony yet again."

"No!" Idsel traded a glance with Citel after they spoke at the same time, both voicing their reluctance to relive that awful experience once more. "No," Idsel said, quieter. "No. We cannot do it again. We simply cannot." At the entrance to the chamber, Nala stood, her shoulder pressed against the wall. She kept her head hung. The sight of her drove Idsel to repeat himself. "No," he said, turning to Sessel yet once more. "We must take from this batch. I cannot do it again."

"Nor can I," Citel said, finally. "I will not with...with that...." She gaged, fighting to find the right words. "With that Summoner—that thing. With that lewd thing. I cannot. I won't share another mating ceremony with a Summoner so...so base."

A deep growl in the back of his throat, Idsel darted to her.

They were face to face as he showed her his teeth and said, "You've given me a fresh brood and if it wasn't for the fact that you must nurse the new king, I would reach into your back and pluck your hearts right out of your body."

Sometime in the months that had followed, Idsel had stopped considering Citel as a foe, a challenge, as anything but the cause of Nala's pain.

The queen's stern posture reminded him that she'd earned her title as much as a king had earned his.

"Do not think to threaten me. It is out of respect that I don't declare you strange and select a common fighter to breed a new king to challenge any from your twisted loins."

He looked from her to Nala then back again.

"Says the queen who allowed her people's tails sheared while she kept her very own."

That stole Citel's drive. She struggled, unable to form a coherent answer.

This small victory came at a price—she didn't go toward the water as Idsel had seen others do. She didn't dip in, calling the newborns to her so that she could embrace them. In fact, she didn't move a muscle.

Rather than beg, Idsel turned toward the water with a sigh.

"Curse the day I met you," he muttered.

Sessel hurried to intercept. "Daga, you cannot touch them before the mother. They will feed on all other flesh."

Idsel ignored him. It was only when he submerged, far colder than he'd been moments ago, that he remembered himself, or rather, his form, his lack of armor, and eased back.

As soon as he disturbed the water, the pool of gray newborns swam toward him, their pudgy worm bodies squirming and twisting.

Other than a nip on his skin, Idsel suffered no injury. He felt confident enough to enter fully when nearly all were to him but he remained safe.

Even Sessel was disbelieving. "Remarkable."

Time and again the newborns bumped into each other, their tiny legs and fat bodies bouncing around in the water.

"Na'am," Idsel said, not caring if Citel heard him use that title. "Come. Come and see them. They are lovely. Come."

Nala picked her head up. Maybe it was curiosity that fueled her steps but she inched forward until she could look down.

Idsel's heart swelled with pride when Nala smiled.

"Aren't they nice? And they're so fat. Look." He held one upside down but lowered it again at the sight of the stub underneath where the tail should be.

"What is wrong with it?" Nala asked. "Did I damage it when I touched one?"

"Touched one?" Citel asked, her wavering patience made all too clear when she gritted her teeth. "You let this filthy wretch touch my brood?"

Idsel looked past Nala to meet Citel's gaze. "It is my brood, my queen. Nala's and mine. You'd be wise to remember that she will become the second mother of the new king. Do not forget your place."

The queen only watched him.

Sessel slipped between them and said, "It is common for the first batch to have some flaws. That is why we must have two or three more so that we select the strongest one."

All fell silent, even Citel had nothing to say. She was equally as disinterested in the idea of mating once more.

"My queen," Sessel cooed. "Must we really be so contrary at such a beautiful time? Your blood is strong. Can you find it in your hearts to try for another batch?"

Pulling her robe closed, Citel approached her and said, "I will try again. I have only one request," she said, looking back at Nala. "That he allow me to choose a second favored for him, and if he cannot do without this pest, that he regulate this Summoner to the ranking of third mother, if that."

All eyes on him, Idsel shook his head and submerged.

The babes came with him. He'd never seen other newborns for long. There had never been a need. As he swam forward and looked behind him to see the swarm coming his way, he felt pleased. Flaws and all, they were strong.

He floated up again, lest they drown by staying down too long.

"Come, Na'am," Idsel said, motioning Nala forward. "They are lovely. Come and see. Come in with me."

Citel, and even Sessel stepped forward. Nala seemed interested in the idea. She could only reach into the pool with one hand before the water became choppy and the swarm rushed toward her.

The water bubbled as they gathered, showing their sharp teeth along the way.

"Na'am, move back!" Idsel warned.

Nala took her hand away just as one newborn snapped at her with such fervor that it leapt into the air and landed on the ground.

It was the stubble-tailed one; Idsel knew it from the unique markings on its back. Within no time, it wiggled until it fell back into the water again.

"It should be an interesting selection," Idsel said, dragging himself out of the water." He said to Citel. "Go on and greet them. We will allow the selection soon. They'll be hungry in a matter of hours."

Though she appeared angry, she marched to the water and took off her robe.

She put one foot in but dragged it back out again lest she suffer the same fate as Nala.

Babes attacking their mother was unheard of. Idsel guessed that's why Citel tried again. She let out a sharp cry shortly after. Purple blood gushed from one of her newly severed toes, leaving her with just two toes whole, and one injured.

"What has happened?" Idsel asked turning to Sessel. "Are they ill?"

Sessel shook her head and said, "A first batch, Daga. I've told you. It comes with flaws. That's why we need two, maybe three more batches."

His expression stern, Idsel said, "And I've told you, I cannot endure it yet again."

Lowering her voice, Sessel begged, "Then select another female—someone strong. She can serve as a second mother. But don't throw away this opportunity. Negotiate. Choose another!"

Idsel considered those words for some time. First, he stared at Nala and then Citel and came to a grim conclusion.

"My queen broke the ritual—she looked at my favored. Now even the babes reject her. I no longer care what she's got to say."

In the water, one growl was followed by a whimper as the stubble-tailed newborn bit into another hatchling's back.

It was faster than Idsel expected, but then again, everything was fast about this brood.

Nala stepped closer to Idsel. "I think he's trying to eat the other one."

Idsel looked at her and was in awe. "Well, of course, he is. How else can we select a king?"

1