BOOK 2: CHAPTER 18
15 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Idrus secured the next chrysalis wrapped in a harala leaf to the sloth's harness.

Several Levelers gathered to go with him but Idrus shook his head. Sessel hurried from the other side to tie yet another bundle. She should have saved that meager food for the rest in the roost. The look on Sessel's face when their eyes met told Idrus that she'd made up her mind.

Sessel gave Idrus a long hard look from below her own harala leaf used for shelter. "Daga, won't you reconsider? Let another take the babes beyond the valley."

There was no other. She'd meant Nala. She would be rid of the Summoner and the two larva rather easily that way.

Nala couldn't go alone, however. "Na'am cannot swim. Should the floods catch her, she will not reach far. As for allowing another," Idrus said, interrupting Sessel's speech, "I have helped them come to life. I should be the one to take them beyond. They are strong and good. I only ask that you wait two days after we depart to allow others to see the queen speaks nonsense."

Today the rain wasn't so bad. Idrus feared it might even stop before they departed. Then Citel could argue that the plan to leave was why. No. He had to hope the rains, however gentle, would keep on a bit longer until she left also.

A robe still guarding his left hand from the shoulder down, Idrus checked the nets holding each chrysalis yet again—it was precious cargo.

When it came time for Nala to mount the sloth, she refused. "You are still weak, my king. You should ride it."

Idrus' armor still hadn't dried so it hadn't sharpened. It was soft in most areas, and easily bent.

It was still armor and he was far too heavy with those wet scales for the poor sloth to manage.

Today was the harshest he'd ever been with Nala when he commanded in the Earther tongue, "Mount, now!"

Nala held her breath a moment then complied.

"Mind the babes," Idrus cautioned.

Despite the rain, the courtyard teemed with curious eyes. The windows of higher pillars were all full. He took the harala leaf Sessel offered and handed it to Nala.

His own exoskeleton his only guard against the storm, Idrus took the reins of the sloth and led it around to face the gates. They couldn't open them for fear water might get in.

Idrus resolved to climb along the walls himself. The sloth, though slow, was a good enough climber. If not for the fact that an ino would eat the sloth eventually, he would have ridden one as well. Inos were fast and powerful though, a sloth would be better safer for the babes; they were also excellent swimmers.

"Can you ride with me?" Nala offered. "You haven't recovered."

Ignoring her, Idrus turned to Sessel and said, "We will see how it goes. But whatever I decide, you must honor it."

Her skin appearing dry despite the weather, Sessel held his shoulder and brought their foreheads to meet.

Idrus closed his eyes, appreciating the greeting to the fullest.

"Go with the calm, Daga," Sessel said. "May the lands keep you safe until your return." She glanced at Nala but didn't otherwise say anything.

There wasn't much time to waste on pleasantries.

Idrus lead the sloth to the wall. First Idrus climbed up. Using the claws on both hands and feet made it effortless. Beyond the safety of those mountain caves the world look wet and uncertain.

Today's rain was gentle and he could even see some of the marsh along their path. Luck and good fortune were on their side.

He tugged on the reins. The beast was reluctant at first. Idrus hoped it didn't hold a grudge with Nala for the slaughtering of its kin.

Two feet went up, then the next two and it started its climb. When it arrived, Idrus was surprised to see Nala loosening the nets for the chrysalis.

"What are you for, Na'am. I've tied those."

"They'll fall off," Nala said. "I can tie it better. You only had the full use of one hand."

The trip down was a difficult one. Lying forward, close to the animal's head, Nala held on as it traveled the sharp incline below.

From here Idrus looked back at the roost. His own nest, the one he and Nala had shared, wasn't empty.

Citel peered out the window, a strong tattooed Leveler male at her side. Shoki.

Idrus had no worries. Sessel was not one to be toyed with. The aging Leveler would put the queen out soon enough. And as for the Shoki.... No doubt he would laugh Citel to scorn the moment they try to mate and she lie on her back.

They were both a trifle and barely a concern.

Idrus waited for the sloth to reach the bottom before he slid down feet first. The stones against his still tender feet and the rough landing reminded him just how much weaker he was than usual.

From there they set off.

As soon as they crossed the first hill, the roost nearly dying from view, the rain stopped.

End of ACT2

1