BOOK 3: CHAPTER 5
14 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Binding the chrysalis was easy enough.

Idsel was brave, far braver than Nala because while he was able to leave the chrysalises unattended and gather the tools outside after securing Boon, Nala still remained at the bed of hay, keeping a close watch.

Waking up to see Indel the next morning confirmed her suspicions that the mating season was upon them. That explained Molin's uncontrolled shift.

Indel rose early from the hay, restless and longing to be outside. Wearing one of Nala's robes, he went back to the tools.

"Why go? Remain a moment with me here," Nala begged.

Shaking his head, Indel opened the door. "My cycles are running out. If I am to live out my final years in this third stage, I must practice survival while the time has arrived naturally. One day I'll wake up, unable to ever change again." It was the first time he shared a secret like this.

Breath hitched, Nala gave no further protest as her king marched outside.

Later, Nala joined him. She watched Indel chip away at the gray dirt. Though she longed to engage him in chatter, perhaps urge him to take more care, she resisted that urge. This state wasn't meant to be used this long. Nala had used it, and it was going on six season now. Despite all that, nothing soothed her more than seeing Indel's face. Idrus was frightening to see, though the few times without the helmet were charming. Idsel also looked handsome but Indel...Indel felt like home.

"What a miserable excuse for a tool!" Indel exclaimed, tossing the shovel down. "But if I could crush it even now."

Even the complaints felt safe and familiar.

Indel tired faster than Nala, however. He wasn't accustomed to this form. He also grew hungry faster. Nala felt proud each time she gathered up enough to make a good meal. She herself took a smaller portion, which was ill-advised, but she could do nothing else.

Seeing Indel eat his belly full and fall back into the dirt was beyond satisfying.

Even when he lay that way naked at dusk, even when he flicked his tail to ward off insects. A time or two, Nala had to remind herself that Indel wasn't signaling her for affection, but instead, keeping the bugs at bay.

"You look so offensive when you do as so," Nala teased. She sat, bringing a gourd of water up.

In time, Indel sat up and took the refreshment.

"Do what so?"

Nala glanced at him and nodded.

Holding onto his tail as he fanned himself, Indel chuckled. "It is miserable here without the caves to keep us cool." Indel looked back at the barn.

Whenever he studied the structure, Nala grew nervous because each time Indel said the same thing. This time was no different.

"You will have to abandon that Earther structure eventually, Na'am. Why do you waste time here? What of a cave?"

Two birds bickered in the distance. They watched the interaction.

Indel chuckled as the male snapped at the female's head. "What is this?"

"She probably interrupted him in something and it spurred him to anger," Nala said.

Surprisingly, Indel turned to her and asked, "Is it the same with you? Because you are rather angry with me often."

Nala didn't—couldn't answer. In time, the female wandered off, but not far. When the male walked to her and vomited, they watched on.

A pile of berries lay on the stone platform in front of the female. She regarded it for a moment then began to eat the gift.

Indel laughed. "Well, that is a clever way to gain forgiveness."

Nala gave no answer. When Indel caressed her face, she tensed.

"Rather than vomit at your feet, how can I always win your forgiveness, Na'am?"

Eyes fixed on the feathery couple, Nala muttered, "You can let me sit in your company for a moment. At least now before you return to a previous state. You will have to return soon, won't you?"

Ignoring her, Indel asked, "After one of our sons become king, what will become of you?"

This was a question bigger than Nala herself. Instead of answering, she asked, "What did Sessel say? You are a day late in your return."

After putting down the gourd, he pulled Nala closer, caressing her arm. He confessed, "No one is pleased about the two kings here. But that is thanks to the queen's lies. She said the weak one is ill and the strong one deformed."

Those words cut Nala to her core. She had to stop Indel's hand; it was a distraction.

"She wouldn't...."

"She had to. Shoki was too outraged when he tried to mate with her."

"Outraged?" Nala asked.

"She...like you, offered herself to me lying on her back. You said you've seen Earthers in this fashion. I'm certain she's...been with Earthers this way. No doubt, Shoki was startled. She's no longer at the roost. She's gone on to another clutch. Eventually she will find someone." Indel hesitated but admitted, "Sessel says to choose one king now and return."

Though Nala dreaded that order, she expected it to a point. Gaze cast low, she sucked in a deep breath and decided to be big about it.

"When do we leave?"

The smooth skin of Indel's left hand brushed along Nala's cheek as her Leveler whispered, "We won't return now. Sessel will take charge, much like when I am away at war. She's given a decree to the queen and us...raise our selects mighty and allow them to challenge one another in battle when they are ready."

Hearts beating frantic, Nala swallowed down her fear. "Fight? Allow them to fight?" she barely recognized her own voice.

"Calm Na'am...be calm. No strong Leveler warrior will bed a Summoner Queen who insults their king. She will find a fit enough Leveler in time, but it won't be of the strongest loins. As for our select, whichever one we choose, I will remain here and train him...them."

The fluttering in Nala's gut died down. She all but melted when Indel brought their foreheads to touch.

"And they'll be all right? You are certain."

"Ours is strong. And it is the only way."

"What if...what if we don't fight, if we allow a new king from the queen?"

A fast answer would put Nala at ease. Indel offered her no such courtesy.

"Ours must fight," Indel confessed. "The queen will put Sessel to death if she wins. And then she will come after us. That is tradition. But don't fret so; ours are strong. Now...." Pulling Nala to him, he whispered, "Stop speaking of such negative things, and allow me to enjoy your presence. Five days without you—"

"Six," Nala corrected.

"Six...and I was mad with worry; mad with longing; mad with craving your bitter words."

He waited, but Nala wouldn't meet his gaze. Something else was on his mind.

"Summoner, hear my words," Indel begged. "I know you hate it, and I understand, but in this stage-three body, you cannot hope to carry on here forever. No dangerous animals come, which surprises me."

That came as a surprise to Nala as well. No, there weren't many that ventured close from time to time, but some had come close. Since the flood, since they'd been back, though Now, nothing ever came. The animals were fading, and although she wondered why, she was too afraid to give Indel too stern an argument.

Something was different, maybe a stronger animal's arrival had shifted the scale; Nala dared not consider it.

"In the end, though...when the time comes, would you come back with me?" Indel asked. "Stay in my home, stay in my bed, and stay there with me?"

Nala gave no response as she watched the suns retreat for the day.

"How is that?" Indel asked, turning to Nala fully. "Won't you come?"

"Because you hate to come instead?"

"Because I don't think it's safe here alone," he insisted. "Animals don't come up this high, but I notice it, in this form, my sight is weak. My senses dull. What if I am rendered to this stage longer than the others? What's to come of both of us then?"

"You will return with the king," Nala suggested.

In time, Indel agreed. "I must."

"And I'll remain here. I've survived four cycles alone. I can survive four more like this."

"Why?" Indel asked. "Why do you hold onto this vulnerable form like some Earther?"

Nala flinched.

Indel waited for her to protest or fight those words, but instead, Nala lowered her gaze. Rather than admit that she'd tried again and again with all her might to change—tried so hard that she'd prayed for it quietly at night—she simply lied, "I like this form."

"With your skin bare? Who could like this form?" Indel neared until their foreheads touched. His left hand against Nala's cheek, he asked, "Is it that I don't satisfy you enough why you never drop to the first?"

That wasn't it. Even this touch was satisfying.

As Indel's hand traveled down Nala's body, she fought to compose herself. Eventually it came to rest at Nala's waist.

"May I watch you?" Indel begged.

A shiver ran through Nala as she shook her head. The idea of performing...that no longer interested her. Even Molin's disgust, though unrelated, still lingered in her mind.

"I'd rather not."

Whispering, Indel said, "Very well. Will you rest here with me in this third form...since you're so opposing to the first? The babes will hatch soon, and then they'll be a chore."

1