BOOK 3: CHAPTER 7
12 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Boon killed and drained his first crane-mare two days later. That was a comfort because Nala was ready to offer up her own arm if it meant getting him blood.

Idrus was disgusted by the suggestion at first but he came to understand; Nala blamed herself for not feeding him well.

When three more scales came in which were definitively red, Nala still worried.

"What of these blue ones? Will they go away in the chrysalis? I've never seen a Leveler with blue scales, not even once."

The babes were easier to manage when they were full. Even Boon's crying became scarce as he slept most of the day away.

Crane's skin bled white a week later, the start of his final chrysalis. Idrus, cautious of his own scales and spikes tried to tend to the farm while Nala took care of the offspring.

Idrus was sure Nala would one day forgive him for breaking so many more newly mended tools. He settled for turning the earth with his hands instead; it was much faster.

The day they awoke to find Boon in his chrysalis, then Crane later on, Idrus was thankful. Another week and Crane would have killed all of the food-animals for sure. That was one of the few times Boon didn't follow after Crane in all they did. Because while Boon drained one crane-mare. Crane had already drunk his fill of three, four if they counted the one when he was newly born.

The pods safely tucked away on the floor due to their large sizes, Idrus went out to molt. He hadn't told Nala that he could not return as Indel as she no doubt wanted. He dared not try it for fear he'd become stuck as such.

Nala craved Indel. It was the only time their height difference was not too stark. When they were both in their third stage, although Nala often vocally urged Indel to ravage her, she would sometimes take the initiative in being bold enough to seek intimacy. In contrast, Nala often stared at Idsel instead, as if waiting for the right time to ask.

Idrus went far into the woods to shed. It was fortunate that he did, otherwise he might have missed the small army in the distance.

Battle inos filled the fields, countless Levelers marching. A pale blue body rocked steadily there, carried on a long abandoned Earther cart, a small chrysalis in hand.

"Citel...."

The queen was returning to the roost and whoever she'd found to breed with, he had an impressive clan. Idrus concluded that it might have been three clans or more combined. He expected to see a Summoner, but other than her, there was no blue he could make out in the red.

Two bodies zipped passed. Idrus turned his face away and closed his eyes, willing his face plate to form. He felt his age because it didn't grow as fast as it once did. That wasn't as worrisome as his left hand which still, even now, no longer grew scales.

He resolved to keep it hidden against the tree.

Three more Levelers raced through the forest. One paused and backed tracked to shriek at him.

"Move faster! Two filthy Summoners escaped! Round up the rest as quickly as you can before we reach the new king."

Head partially hung, Idrus nodded.

New king? The wench is bold.

They raced on and when two more Levelers slowed, Idrus said, "Round up the rest as quickly as you can before we reach the king!"

After those ones left, he decided not to wait around for any more. He'd already started the molting process, however, but it would have to do. Fighting wouldn't be a problem if it came to that, he had the skill. The extra armor would be best, though.

The queen would reach the roost much faster than them. She'd no doubt use the other Levelers to help train her son. And the familiarity, to call him the new king already...she was making a bold strategic move.

Idsel considered leaving now to challenge her stake, to at least keep his presence at the roost now and then to remind others that he wasn't dead yet, but...leaving Nala alone with two chrysalises, in her vulnerable third stage, and with Levelers moving through this land unchecked? That was unwise. The most Nala could do was bury them at the first signs of danger if the queen figured out where she was. And they were heavy.

When Idsel emerged from the woods to find Nala's barn undisturbed, he still checked the perimeter. That was the night he decided they should take on some pets. Inos were good fighters for a king to have. He would get two because what Crane got, Boon should get and vice versa. Deep down, he regretted putting Crane before Boon as his choice for a king so early, but he told himself he was being realistic. Crane could eat out the heart of any enemy. Boon...Boon would politely ask a challenger to die.

As not to worry Nala, Idsel wore the best smile he could. No sooner had he stepped through the door than the Summoner pinned him right there, asking, "What kept you so long, my king?"

Idsel ran his fingers through Nala's long hair and asked, "Had you worried?"

Nala ignored the question. Instead, she gestured to the door. "Let us go into the brush."

This was one of the few strange Summoner customs that Idsel couldn't understand. The young kept with the breeding clutches and then separate most of their youth. It was normal that Nala would prefer to do the same by mating away from the structure. Nala had even admitted to coaxing herself alone a great distance from the barn before they had reunited. But with chrysalis...this seemed excessive. Idsel questioned if it was really necessary to risk seeking out a new bush for a lay when there was no one to see them in the barn even now.

The chrysalises wouldn't hatch for another season. After Idsel convinced Nala that it was best to stay inside, Nala covered the pods entirely.

In the corner farthest away Nala took the lead in the lay, urging Idsel for quiet. This time didn't last as long as the others but Idsel enjoyed it all the same.

Nala's behavior made him smile, even when they lay tangled in each other's robes.

"I've considered it," Nala said, her head resting back against Idsel's chest. "It's all right to take them to Sessel. Let her see Boon once he's hatched. I do not want to live there again, but if you would visit often, it would be enough."

Idsel tried to lean over and see her face. "What if she chooses Crane?"

Silent at first, Nala finally said, "She won't choose Crane. We both know that. I hope the blue fades from Boon. If it doesn't...maybe we can pick it out. Right?"

Nala knew the lands. Nala knew the food. Nala knew a great deal of things, but Nala ultimately knew nothing of Levelers or the Summoners of old.

"One of the oldest Leveler king's upper body was entirely blue. No one will care. We Levelers care less about what's outside and more for what's within. No one will shun him for a little blue. In fact, he might appear more interesting."

Nala calmed. "Good."

Idsel considered leaving the topic but something made him curious. "And you say she would not choose Crane. You are certain of this but I do not understand why."

The answer came in a mutter, "You know why, Mana. Do not mock me so."

But Idsel didn't know Nala's reasoning. He considered it a strange custom and left it at that. There were far more worrisome things to consider. The queen was marching on the roost. It wasn't to overthrow it, not with that small a force, but it was for a challenge, her new mate to fight her old. If Idsel waited too long, that challenge would fall to their children. She must not have known that he'd abandoned the roost to be with Nala.

Idsel cursed her.

She, too, was very much like Nala in her ignorance. Idsel had to admit he was stupid as well. His disdain for Citel overshadowed something important. She'd thought Boon and Crane wished to kill her, but now he could see it for what it was. They were Leveler babes looking for blood, maybe not even all that much. A Leveler female, just as gluttonous for a fight as a male, would have jumped into that water and dared her babes to bleed her dry.

The Summoner Queen offered them a toe. And one of them—no doubt Crane—had taken it off.

Whatever the outcome, there would be a fight and Idsel would have to face it. If he could regain his armor, he would fight and simply select Crane once he had won. But if he couldn't return to the first stage...one of his sons would have to fight—Crane would have to fight.

Idsel also had to prepare Nala for it as well. Should Idsel fall, it would be best to do so when the babes were grown and could offer Nala some protection and help with the farm if they could run and hide. The queen's new mate would kill Idsel but maybe Citel would leave the challenge there and not try to chase his sons. Idsel would tell Nala, but not today; not when they finally had some quiet.

1