BOOK 3: CHAPTER 11
12 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Idsel wasn't as skilled with repairing the tools but Crane, and even Boon, was better. What he fumbled with, they pieced together. Their thin scales covered them from head to toe now. It wasn't thick and full yet but it would grow in time.

They had eaten early, long before Nala awoke from her separate bed of hay on the floor. Now more than ever, Idsel, longing for normal Leveler ways, tried to teach his sons what he could about their culture lest they be considered strange when they returned. Levelers slept together, as did the three of them. Though the scales of the boys were sharp, injury only occurred if they thrashed or angered. It was safe to sleep by them, and Idsel's tough skin wasn't problematic. Still, Nala slept alone, on the floor.

Damn these Earther ways. Idsel no longer commented on it, he only emphasized to his sons when they asked, saying, "It's your Aza's way."

Now, sitting on the stone fence, Idsel struggled with the tools while his sons made fast repairs of the others.

Boon asked, "When can Aza eat with us again?"

Still focused on his work, Idsel muttered, "What do you mean?"

Crane said, "When is she allowed to eat with us again?"

Idsel looked at them finally to see their short glances at the doorway. Nala stood there looking pensive and miserable. It was an expression Idsel had grown to loathe.

He picked up the vines and got to work on twisting them into a net. "Aza is welcome any time. We three are just diligent."

Despite the boys' worry for Nala and Nala's obvious worry for them, no one moved to greet the other. Finally, Idsel said to them, "Come, fetch your ino and we'll see to training her."

Shortly after they left, Nala approached and sat down beside him. She gathered up some of the vines and helped with the net in silence.

Eventually, she said, "It's been one month, Mana, do you plan to forgive me?"

Idsel continued in his work, resisting the urge to speak freely.

When he didn't respond, Nala stilled Idsel's arms, taking the left into her grip.

"Mana?"

Idsel shrugged her away. "You ask me for forgiveness, Nala, but I do not know why. It is not my business what abuse you Summoners enact on one another. It is not my business what you decide is best for you and your kind. But I will tell you this...." He met Nala's gaze finally. "I am not the one you've wronged. I am not the one you should ask to forgive you. You've taken away someone's cycles. Trapped them, doomed them to one season. And you should know better than most how it feels to live without a tail."

He went back to work, gathering the vines up. The net was nearly finished but he needed something to do with his hands lest he brandish a claw.

"It was the God's will," Nala muttered.

When Idsel let out a string of clicks in the back of his throat along with a groan, Nala's body drooped.

"Please do not say that," Nala begged. "I'd thought it was right. Earthers had left their stages behind and look how far they've come."

Idsel was certain Earthers had no stages to speak of. From what he'd seen, they were small, weak creatures.

"Is that what they intend?" Idsel asked. "I have lived in the third stage as you for longer than is custom. That stage should last no longer than one month and we return to our armor. That is common. Our second stage is to allow for preparation of the third, but the first is proper, the first is right. In those stages our desire is for food, shelter, and movement. In the third the only thought is to mate. Eating to grow strong, to mate. Sleeping and waking up, to mate. Going out in search of shelter, to mate. That is our sole concern and I understand it. I thought you brave and strong to survive so long with this craving yet keep your senses. But I'll tell you, Summoner, your senses have fled you."

Nala twisted the vines in her grip without looking up. "You would not understand. You will pass through the cycles again and again for seasons after seasons. When my cycle comes to a stop, I must know what is to happen. I was content and safe in my scales, it's true, but it's been seasons since I've had that safety. Perhaps Plesket's clan is not perfect, but they are a choice."

"They are no choice. So many of them running around in that weak condition and forcing females to mate out of season. There is no yield without the season, they will not bear young but rather spend their time bedding insatiable Summoners. That is strange. That is uncommon. And they shun us, you and I. We are from a time of old. We are natural. What they do is madness and no good can come from it."

Nala held her tongues for a moment too long before she said, "Most females want to mate. Perhaps I did not explain it well. It can work. They just mean to use this stage to build more delicate things. Our limbs are smaller. Our movement easier. And we have no need for scales if we have structures. I haven't explained it well. That is all."

Idsel turned to her and said, "Know this, Summoner. My hearts start and stop for you and you alone. I would have broken the very pods of my babes before they were born if you had told me it would make you happy. I have twisted and turned, and rolled with you in the light and the day but know this, if you do not abandon this Earther madness, I will abandon you."

Body tense, as she no longer took in breaths, Nala said, "I will bring you there, and you will see. And you will not threaten me again, do you understand?"

Regret for being so harsh told Idsel he should take those words back. His pride wouldn't let him. He conceded defeat by nodding, agreeing to go and see.

Instead of doing their daily hunts, they dressed the boys in robes, at Nala's insistence. The Summoner, herself, wore her Earther garb. For Idsel the gunny-sack robe was enough. When he cut Nala a look, the Summoner didn't dare argue.

The distance was why Nala was always late arriving home; it was quite far.

As they neared the town bushes appeared less unruly, cut and neatly trimmed. The first structure was a house, a crudely made one from trees. The wood proved too soft and so the structure bent in some areas. Inside was simple and empty. More empty structures greeted them as they walked.

To Idsel's relief, the town looked deserted. Nala's grim frown said as much.

Something lay in the distance, however, directly before the largest structure with an Earther cross on it. A stench hit them before they made it part way. Flying pests swooped down then took off again, pecking at the ground.

Nala ran on ahead, but her stride slowed in time until she came to a stop before the winged animals.

When Idsel and his sons neared, Nala turned to them finally. "No. They should not come."

Idsel led them there anyway. The thing before him seemed less like a Summoner skeleton and more like a dried animal carcass.

Its hands and feet bound in the soil, it had been here for some time.

"Molin," Nala said.

"Are you certain?"

Nala nodded. "I am certain." She pointed to their right. The rows of crosses meant graves. "That same night was to be the first feast of cooked meat. The blade slipped and I cut Molin too far away. I've killed him."

Naked, his robe undone, the remains of Molin lay festering, a gamali leaf stuffed in his mouth. Molin's body was picked clean, but the others had to be buried. A quick scan of the area revealed stones teeming with still rotting animal flesh that no predators had come to feast on.

And then Idsel imagined it, panicked people dying from old meat, giving a sacrifice to whatever god they served; or punishing those who hadn't joined. Whether or not Molin was that sacrifice or the one punished, they'd never know, but Idsel formed one very certain conclusion.

"No. You did not do this," Idsel said, surveying the empty area. "They forced his cycle with that leaf. They tried to force him to the first stage again. Maybe they thought to test it on him and save themselves from whatever illness they've contracted with that rancid meat they've eaten. But they tried to force the change and his body could not manage it. Come." He pulled Nala by the arm and gathered the boys to him. "Let us leave this place. Animal, Leveler, or ignorance, something happened to it. And it is for the best."

Nala tried to take her clothing off but Idsel protested.

"You will be weak against the sun."

"I cannot bear it," Nala said. "I cannot bear it."

Once she threw the last of the clothing down, Idsel stared at her. A part of him wanted these strange Summoners to be Nala's peace. He wanted them to give his Summoner solace. Everything in him loathed them for doing all this damage.

Idsel took off his robe and wrapped it around Nala's shoulders.

"Come, Na'am. There is nothing for us here."

Nala looked back. "Molin...."

"Molin's made his choice. I hope you have made yours."

1