BOOK 3: CHAPTER 17
10 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Boons scales came in at the height of the mating season. That was a comfort because he would finally stop breaking odd patterns into Crane's scales as he slept only for him to walk around with his back, or other parts bare, before they'd form again.

Crane was a wonderment; from his height to his speed. He had a gentle temperament, as well. When they stood side by side for training while Nala worked in the field, Indel couldn't have been prouder.

They finished sparring early that day.

His once sickly ino big enough to ride, Crane took care in trotting around with her. Now and then he could pick up speed.

Boon was nowhere in sight. It was never a good sign if one of them were missing for long.

Indel went around the back to look for him. He found Boon by the animals, standing in front of his inos pen.

The beast didn't rise from its bed.

"Boon? What is it, Daga?"

Eyes wide, Boon answered, "I do not know. She won't awaken."

The animal wasn't asleep and Indel made that grim discovery just from looking at her.

"She's dead..." Indel observed. "Probably died this morning." He glanced at the dry water gourd and the bare food container as well. "But that's not surprising."

"You..." Boon said, turning to him. "I thought you were feeding it."

"Me? Why would you think such a foolish thing?" Indel asked.

"You fed Crane's. You fed it all the time!"

Indel sighed. "Your ino, your responsibility. I will not argue."

"But it isn't fair. You saw that it needed more food and water and didn't tell me!"

Without saying another word, Indel turned and walked away. Boon was not one it paid to argue with. For him, only his right was valid.

Crane continued to play with his ino. Nala walked behind the barn to find Boon as well.

When she gathered up bitter fruits, Indel assumed they were to consul a crying Boon.

Crane's ino's broad body bobbed as it circled around yet again. It stopped in time as a rock sailed by.

Boon picked another one up and threw it. The ino bucked, sending Crane to fall on his back.

There was no peace until Crane put his ino away.

Nala saw to burying the dead animal far in the woods, using Crane's ino to drag it.

At their second supper, Boon sat up and announced. "I'm taking Crane's ino. Tomorrow I shall take it."

Crane nearly choked on a mouthful of his food. He looked between them.

Nala seemed ready to protest but Indel shook his head.

They ate on in silence until Crane muttered, "I'm not giving my Betty to you."

Boon gasped, genuinely surprised. "But why not? You can find another one. Look how easy this one was!"

"How easy?" Crane sat up. "You won't care for any of them, Boon. You'll just use them and forget to appreciate them. If you want, I'll go with you and we can try and catch another one but you're not getting mine."

Expecting support, Boon looked between Nala and Indel. When no help came, Boon set his face in a scowl.

"I'm getting it."

"Only if you fight me for it," Crane said. "And only then."

"I'd only fight to the death! I wouldn't waste time on the likes of you, you short-tailed maggot."

Nala was the next to choke on her food.

At the silence that fell over them, Boon shrunk away. Crane had nothing to say.

"I have no tail," Nala said, sitting up. "So what does that make me? A maggot as well?"

Boon lowered his gaze. "I wasn't talking to you, Aza. I mean...I mean him."

"No. You meant me. You must mean both of us since I have nothing there at all." Nala waited before saying, "You can sleep with no supper. Stand up."

Choking back a cry, Boon lumbered to his feet and flopped down on the bed of hay.

Crane went to check on his ino after that. Indel went with him.

Eyes fixed on the sleeping area of his previous ino, Crane said, "You could have helped her. You could have given her water."

"No. That is not my way," Indel said. "That is a strange thing to do."

Reaching up, Crane flexed against the shed's structure.

"I wish to talk to you," Indel said.

Crane nodded, not meeting his gaze. "About?"

"About my decision."

Crane smiled big and proud as he turned to him. "I won't let you down."

"I will give my support to Boon."

A light dimmed in Crane's black eyes. He stopped breathing.

Indel tried to be gentle as he said, "It wasn't easy to make that choice."

"Because of my tail? You throw away my birthright because of my tail?"

Indel said. "You came into this world fighting. I should have plucked you out of the others and put you to live out your day as a normal Leveler. But I didn't."

Hands crossed over his chest, Crane asked, "And why is that?"

"Because of that tail. It reminded me of your Aza whom I adored. And when I saw that the others perished yet you lived, I felt even better. You were a force, and you were strong. But you didn't fight with Boon. You passed Boon's larva again and again for days, for weeks. He was the weakest one, I bet. But you protected him. You didn't feed off him. Even that I thought was your strength. But the reason for my decision isn't because of Boon. It's because of that tail. And I can see now it's taken a part of your ego. That wasn't your fault."

Crane's face pierced up, an expression that Boon often wore. "But he's so awful sometimes."

"Yes. He can be. But he's been bred to believe he can be. You...the damage is done. You two go hand in hand. I think you protect him, but he cannot protect you. Should you become king, if you ever fall, Boon cannot help you. But if he should fall, which he will, you can keep him safe. It's also the reason why I know you will not be angry about decision because you are a king and you do what is right. By the next season we must breed and repopulate. That is the function of a king. With the slug's damage to you, we do not know if you can. Beyond that, I do not think Sessel will approve of you."

Each word made Crane's once defiant posture droop.

"I am very certain, somehow, Sessel has no tail as well. And if that's the case, she will react to you the same way she reacted to your Aza. She will reject you. So I ask you to keep Boon safe. Do not oppose him in public and respect his commands."

Crane stood there with his head hung. His only motion was to rub his ino's head when she nudged his leg.

1