BOOK 3: CHAPTER 19
12 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Boon's expression was blank as he looked from the body to the head.

Indel did as well. He had to. He couldn't look at Boon's placid face. He couldn't look at Nala.

Crane's throat had been cut, so deeply that the impact ripped it off the rest of the way. His head fell into Nala's lap and the Summoner still held it, looking at the blank eyes that seemed to look back at her.

It took three Levelers to move the body. No one tried to take the head. When Sessel arrived, she, too, was silent.

Indel's feet felt unsteady. He longed to wail. Time and time again he'd nearly lost Crane and now that he finally had, he wished his own hearts would explode and he could come to an end as well.

Nala, like Boon, said nothing.

They waited there for as long as silence would allow. No one moved a muscle, not even when several females came and rubbed leaves and brush against the blood to make it fade. Some purple still remained but it was hard to make all of it out in the moonlight.

"We must discuss this," Sessel said. "I fear we should do it tonight before the morning comes. If you leave now...." She stared down at the bare area before them. "If you leave now, I will take your place in the challenge. As my blood does not match yours, Daga, you will not be sought."

Indel couldn't meet Sessel's gaze. He wanted to say he'd fight instead, but the idea of Nala going home alone wasn't one he relished. If he lost, Boon would die as well. And then there was Boon....

"Where were you when this all took place?" Sessel asked.

"Here," Indel said. "Here in the garden with Na'am."

Sessel cleared her throat. "I was asking your son."

Boon picked his head up; his motion so slow he appeared to be pulled by a string.

"What?"

Though Sessel didn't seem as confident, she was bold enough to voice her thoughts. Boon was no match for anyone, really, maybe not even for Sessel.

"I asked where you were. Your brother lies dead at your feet and you say not a word."

Boon only stared at her, not out of malice, or anger. He just looked at her.

The world vibrated for Indel and he feared his legs would collapse under him.

Boon.

In the back of his mind that thought had been there but he didn't dare entertain it. He pushed it away again but it came back stronger.

"With no challenger..." Sessel said. "You should return to your home and spend out your life there."

"I'll challenge them." Boon said, his eyes glazed. "I will challenge them all."

Sessel let out a laugh. "And doom your Azal? Don't be foolish."

"I'll challenge them," Boon said. "I am not leaving until I do."

When Sessel's eyes settled on Indel, she wanted to shake her head and refuse. Nala still hadn't moved; Boon still showed no discernable expression. Indel wanted to refuse and return with what was left of his family. He wanted to leave.

But if he went back, he was surely calling his son a killer.

"I will challenge them," Boon said again. "I will not back down. Aza and Azal do not leave. They will remain here until midday when we fight."

He walked away. Who knows where he was headed.

Sessel glanced past Indel and said, "He's heading to the birthing chambers." She stepped around the blood stain and took Indel's hand in hers. "Daga. Leave. Take your Summoner and leave. Your remaining boy has nothing in him. No soul and no sorrow. Both of you should leave."

"No." Indel shook his head. "No. Boon comes from me. He's a part of me. I cannot abandon him."

"Madness! Open your eyes!"

Nala flinched, an action that made her body bend in on itself.

Finally, Indel nodded. He climbed over the flowers and sat down by Nala's side.

"Na'am, we must go. Come. We must go."

But Nala gave him no reply.

Indel touched her shoulder, intending to help her up. The gut-wrenching scream Nala gave off made him take his hand back.

Pulling the head close, Nala bent around it, refusing to move.

Indel looked back at Sessel, desperate to find an answer on what he should do.

Sessel shook her head. "I do not know, Daga, but when the suns come, your time will be at an end. Your feeble babe cannot help you."

Making a hard decision, Indel climbed back over and begged, "Please stay with Na'am. Do not leave her side. Stay with her. I must see to Boon. Please."

At Sessel's unsure nod, Indel rushed down the hall.

It was Indel's roost; he helped make it. Nothing had changed since he'd left. He took the stairs two by two and spilled out into the catacomb.

An arm caught him by the throat.

When Boon saw him, he let Indel go. A white hook of sorts in his fist, Boon lowered his hand.

"Azal...."

"What is that? What is that you have there?" Lydnel demanded.

Boons claws were inadequate compared to other Levelers; they resembled Nala's more so. Whatever he held, it must have compensated for that.

"Sloth claw," Boon said. "Crane and I found it at the shed. He helped me sharpen it before we came to dinner."

That foolish theory showed just how ignorant Boon was. It wasn't a sloth's claw. It was Indel's very claw Nala had fashioned to slaughter her gifts seasons ago. A claw sharp enough to perhaps cut a Leveler's throat. It held no blood but Indel didn't care.

Indel pushed back his doubt and worry. A claw that big could have more than done the job of cutting Crane that deeply.

Boon eyed him. "So you think it, too? You think I killed him to become king—to take the title."

"The title was yours," Indel said, noting the surprise in his son's eyes. "It was yours in the end. I'd already told him and he agreed."

That same familiar crying expression formed. "Me? You were going to back me? When did you decide on this? And Crane agreed?"

Indel's body felt numb. "Tell me you have not done something foolish." He stepped forward. "Please tell me."

"I had no love for Crane, for any of you, but for you to think me a killer...." Boon shook his head. "That is beyond your usual disgusting nature."

Confused, Indel shook his head. "Disgusting nature? What do you mean?"

Boon turned his face toward the pool, his eyes fixed there. "You never approved of me. You never rooted for me. You never tried to teach me half of what you did for Crane. I was your afterthought. You gave Crane first choice in all things. You taught him first in everything. And you chose him as your king, long before I was ever an option. And I know it is because you feel I am not worthy. I am no Leveler. I was nothing in your eyes. I wasn't strong enough. I wasn't noble. But I'll tell you, Daga...I am smart."

Indel studied his body language; he could no longer see Boon's face to do otherwise.

"What have you done?" Indel asked. "What have you done? You've destroyed us."

"You accuse me yet again. Do it a third time and we are enemies."

Swinging the back of his hand, Indel caught Boon in the head. He grabbed him by the throat, scales and all and shoved him to the ground.

"What have you done! You were born in this very room! You were born here where your brother fought and killed a small army to let you live." When Boon tried to stand, Indel shoved him back down again. "You! You caused this? What do you think you've done, you coward! What have you done? In this very room you came to life. This is where you should die!"

"Daga...?"

Sessel's unsure tone came with a hint of betrayal.

"Daga...what are you doing? Let him up. He is the only one left. Let him up, Daga."

Indel stared at her with no intention of complying.

"Let him up!" Sessel hissed.

Moving slowly, Indel stood to his full height.

Boon slipped on his attempt to rise, sending the ino claw in his fist into the pool. When it sunk, he watched it. "No." He gasped. "No. I need it."

One day Indel might forgive Sessel for leaving Nala in her time of need. Today wasn't that day. He chose to put that worry over Boon as he made his way out "You came to life with Crane; it's only fitting that you go with him as well. I will wait to see you do just that in the morning." His face set in a frown, Indel walked past them.

1