BOOK 3: CHAPTER 22
14 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nearly two seasons passed before Nala took to going out of the barn alone again. Most days she stayed close to Indel's side.

Indel preferred it that way since he'd found Nala collapsed in the heat a time or two. The Summoner called it forgetfulness.

No one should ever be forgetful enough to stand in the suns staring at a small grave.

So when Indel woke up one morning to find Nala gone, he was so panicked he barely dressed by the time he rushed out.

Crane's Betty was the first thing he saw as the animal sat in the dirt next to Nala's slender frame. No one could say Nala wasn't well guarded—Crane's gentle ino had proven her loyalty a time or two.

As Indel feared, Nala sat before Crane's grave.

They didn't usually acknowledge it. Indel had to be the one to clear it of shrubs and weeds from time to time as Nala never had the courage to get close.

She sat there now, however, but Indel wasn't sure why.

Fixing his covering, Indel approached, happy and satisfied to know that Nala was alert at least.

"Mana, do you think he would have liked this?" Nala asked without looking back.

Indel reached close enough to see the gourds of food neatly arranged. That mistake had become more frequent. Two helpings; one for Crane, and one for Boon. Both were never coming back.

Sitting beside her, Indel smiled. "I think he would have enjoyed it immensely."

Nala leaned into him, eventually turning to press her face against Indel's neck.

"I miss them."

Hugging his Summoner with his left hand, Indel pressed their bodies close. In the distance, the suns began their climb.

"We can't go back, Summoner. I know that now. I'd thought perhaps we could, we all could. But I know...we'll never go back."

They sat together until the light of the suns forced them to find shelter. In midday they tended to the animals under the roof of the shed.

With the two of them, without the help of their sons, it wasn't easy planting and harvesting, but Indel preferred it to being dormant.

Nala's extended years in her third stage meant her body wound down faster now, instead. She needed a lot of rest. While Indel, finally accustomed to his stage-three body, took care of most chores.

That suited Indel just fine.

Now and again the sound of distant war drums reached them, but Indel said nothing to acknowledge it. They meant war, and whoever Boon was battling this time, Indel hoped it didn't spread all the way to this mount.

He had Nala. Nala had him. It was enough.

1