EPILOGUE
23 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Indel awoke with a kick. "I think this one's dead. Stand up. Stand up."

"I don't think he understands. Does this one have the madness, too? That strange babbling they say they do?"

"Yeah, maybe. Tell the viceroy we have another strange one. Let him relay it to our never-present-king."

Disoriented but alive, Indel sat up, searching his vision for clarity.

"You there! What is it you've got?"

"Ah the favored," one Leveler grumbled to the next but they straightened up when a Summoner female approached.

"What is it you have?" she asked again.

"Just this strange old Leveler. His scars are many. His left arm scales won't even grow in. I'm telling you, this sickness is a scary thing. Seems a shame to just kill him, though. He's seen more than enough battles. We were going to ask Viceroy."

"The Viceroy has taken ill during the night. He's passed. I will relay for the king and he says to throw this one in the garden."

"Na'am!?" Indel called, searching the crowd for any signs of Nala's body. "Na'am."

One Leveler chuckled. "Look at him. A big male like him calling for Na'am."

As the Summoner female gazed at him, Indel gazed back. She wore an unsure smile. Her voice a hush, she whispered, "I am Aurette.... Boon's told me so much about you. It's an honor. Do not be afraid."

The stage-one Levelers traded a glance before the bigger one asked, "Do you speak the gibberish? Ma'a? Are you ill?"

"Throw him with the other one," she said, ignoring his question.

The Levelers traded a glance yet again. "Are you sure?"

"Yes. Throw him there and leave him there."

"But that one's crazy. She's beyond crazy."

"Do it! You do not disobey your future queen." At their look of surprise, she nodded. "The king's temporary mate is fit to lay. After two more batches, I will take my proper place. Disrespect me at your own ruin," she warned.

Indel managed to get to his feet just as he was taken under both arms.

The world passed by in a flash but he recognized his own roost, though none of the faces were familiar. When he was tossed down, he slid to a stop in a mound of dirt. The impact barely reverberated. Body heavy, Indel look down at himself to find his armor, he was Idsel again.

After pushing himself up, he tried to figure out where he'd landed. It was the garden. Save for a stage-one Summoner, there was no one else.

He dragged himself up and growled. "Na'am!"

He must have been a fright because the Summoner flinched. "Mana?"

Eyes wide, Idsel broke his faceplate. He sucked in a deep breath as he rushed the faded blue scales.

"Na'am! Na'am?"

The Summoner's shaky hands reached up for her own faceplate and Idsel smiled wide.

"Nala, you cursed Summoner. Look at you." He flopped down beside Nala, taking her into a hug with is bare left arm, Nala's blue scales and all.

"I have my tail," Nala whispered. "Would rather my sight, though."

They both chuckled until Indel brought their foreheads to meet. In this stage, speaking the Earther tongue was a challenge, but no matter, Idsel decided to pretend he no longer knew how.

END

Where to next? If you're after a fun romance with fantasy and some mystery, why not try "The Hunchback's Reluctant Bride"? If action/adventure would suit you better, read "The Aftermath" and  join a harpy and a vampire so mean he'd make Indel look like a puppy! Or how about a retelling of a fairy tale classic with "Perception"? What do you have to lose...other than your childhood? 😁

1