2. An Ordinary Morning
2.1k 9 43
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

At the crack of dawn, the first light of the day pierce the dense and quiet forest. Birds who got hit by the light started to fly away from their nest one by one in search of food.

In the center of the forest, a humongous tree with a height reaching several hundred meters stood tall. There's no other tree grown closely around the giant tree except for small grasses and wild flowers.

When the sunlight hit the morning dew on the grasses and flowers, the scenery around the tree suddenly became sparkling as if the tree was surrounded by small gems.

Under the giant tree a girl can be seen laying on the ground sleeping. She has green hair and a beautiful face, combined with her fair skin and slender figure while wearing a simple white one piece dress with exquisite embroidery on some parts of her dress, she looks much like a life size doll.

When the sunlight reach her, the girl's eyelashes fluttered slightly and she slowly opened her eyes.

Her emerald-like eyes scanned her surroundings for a few moments before she slowly got up and stretch her body.

"Good morning!"

With a loud voice and a bright smile as bright as the sun she greeted the forest.

And as if responding to her greetings, the forest started to tremble ever so slightly.

~

"Yosh! Let's go on a walk!"

Pumping myself up, I started walking towards the forest with light steps. It's been around 600 years since I reincarnated in this world.

"Good morning!"

I started greeting the trees around me the moment I entered the forest.

You might think I'm crazy but I'm not.

Except for small plants like grasses or flowers, plants has a thought on their own and I can perceive said thoughts as long as the plants are nearby. Well, although I said they have a mind of their own, what they thinking is not clear like the thoughts of human or other intelligent being. Most of the time, their mind is filled with fragmented words when they talk. For example, if their water source is dried because of a goblin tribe they will say;"Water, dried, small greenish creature." Or something like that.

Actually I can perceive every plant in this planet if I wanted to but I need to spread my conciousness to every part of my main body, that is the large tree. But I rarely do so because It's very unpleasant to do so, so I put most of my conciousness in my human form most of the time, and the other parts are like my subconcious part. It's just like having a lot of CCTV in a large building but only 2 or 3 of them that are constantly active, and you need to activate the other cameras manually if you want to find out what's happening on that side.

After walking around for a bit inside the forest, I decided to come back. 

I sit at the base of my main body and closes my eyes.

"Now then, let's see if there's anything troublesome happened there."

My vision changed to that of a town I frequently visited, Riful Town.

The town is located at the outskirt of the Garnaz Kingdom inside the teritory governed by Baron Aurswitz.

Because the town has no unique specialties combined with it's remote location the town has always been left alone all this time, not just by the lord but criminal organizations also has no interest in this town. I thought such organization love to set their base in a place that has lack attention like this town but it seems they have other consideration. Because of that, the public order in this town is relatively safe compared to the other town and luckily the mayor, although mediocre, is not rotten.

After making sure that there's nothing special happened inside the town, I decided to go.

But just as I was about to materialize myself near the town I heard a rustling sound coming from nearby. I looked towards the direction of the sound and saw a large creature walking towards me.

It has a head that looks like an animal skull with a pair branch-like horns covered with moss, long arms that reach the ground and it's height easily reach over 3 meters even with it's hunched back.

Although I'm not entirely sure, and I only saw it through illustration, it's has similar appearance with a creature called Wendigo from northern America.

"Hmm? Why are you here Ron, is something the matter?"

Yes, he's one of my acquaintance.

I first met him standing while covered in blood with heaps of corpses around him about 400 years ago. I  run away while bawling at that time.  Unexpectedly, he come to me a few days later while holding a handmade basket full of fruit and gave it to me. I still suspicious of him at that time so I never turn to my human form when he come to visit. But after a while, I realize he didn't have any ill will towards me and I tried to talk to him. Sadly he can't speak although he understood what I said because he sometimes responded with gestures or grunts.

Contrary to his appearance that looks like an elite monster from an RPG, it seems his standing is equal to a mid-boss. Because a speed maniac dragon that I know is always wary of him.

Ron approached me and held out his hand at me.

In his hand is a beautiful pendant with a white gem in the center of it.

"Are you giving this to me?"

Grunt*

"Where did you get it?"

Ron pointed at the southern part of the forest. When he pointed at that place I couldn't help but shuddered. It's because the monsters occupying that area are the embodiment of human nightmare.

Giant Cockroaches.

That place is full of cockroaches at the size of a mature tiger. I keep getting nightmares after I visited that part of the forest once in the past.

"Alright, thanks."

After I took the pendant, Ron turn around and walk back towards the forest.

I hung the pendant around my neck and teleported near Riful Town.

Well, It's not exactly teleport but rather a normal materialization of my human form. But because the materialization is possible as long as it's not too far from my root, I can basically materialize myself anywhere in the world.

The strange thing is that anything I wear while in my human form will also dissapear and appear again when I  dematerialize and materialize myself. I keep thinking about the reason for it but eventually gave up.

I approached the gate and the guards that I have already familiar with greeted me.

"Good morning Rin-san!"

"Good morning!"

"Good morning."

I greeted them back and gave them the entrance fee.

By the way, my name I use in this town is Rin. I always use different name in different place except for when I introduce myself to someone who manage to reach my main  body.

In the past I was so caught up in my role-playing as a great being that guide lost people that I always introduce myself as Yggdrasil or Titania. After looking back at it, that was a pretty embarassing act even for me.

"Hmm? Rin-san are you not visiting to sell herbs like usual?"

"Yes, I just wanted to relax once in a while."

In truth, I always relaxing most of the time though.

"Is that so! Then how about I accompany you?"

One of the guards said while smiling sheepishly at me before getting kicked by the other guard.

"You bastard are you trying to steal a march on me!? Rin-san rather than going with that horse face how about going with me?"

"Hah!? You think you any better with that orc face and your stinking breath!?"

"What!? You wanna go asshole!?"

"Bring it on you fucker!"

As you might have surmised, I'm pretty popular with the guards around here. Maybe it's because I occasionally chat with the guards in this town or treat their injuries after an assignment or training.

Sigh....

Leaving behind the two bickering guards, I entered the boring yet peaceful town.

43