Chapter 20: Judgement
234 3 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Order in the Court,” the High Councilman spoke, “in the case of the Heavens v. The Moirai, the Council shall now come to a decision based on the evidence. Defendants, as is unfortunately your right, you may make a plea for defense. First, Atropos.”

“Rot and perish,” she said, spitting at them.

Looking unamused, he continued, “Lachesis, you next.”

“May all your deeds be forgotten,” she said, turning her face away.

“Clotho”, he spoke, sighing, “I do hope your curse is much less dramatic. It’s always so annoying when you all try to make a stand with your words when actions aren’t enough.”

“Unfortunately, I am similarly inclined as my elders. May the day of your birth vanish from the records of the gods,” she spoke, sitting down and closing her eyes.

“Martha, you next,” he said.

“No,” she replied.

“Let the record show that all defendants have refused to defend themselves in this matter, and the evidence shall solely be considered in this circumstance,” the High Councilman read with glee as scribes around him scribble furiously with quills.

Then, the judges all talked amongst themselves for about five seconds, before the High Councilman hit the gavel once again.

“I find you all guilty of treason against the heavens. The punishment shall be oblivion, and reassignment of your duties to another party. Your punishment will occur here, and shall be administered by Cassandra.”

“Wait!” Martha cried, “Tim has not defended themself yet!”

“Mortals are not permitted to defend themselves in court. And given that they should have died in the Ocean of Blood, we’ll consider it accounted for. Cassandra, it’s time!” The High Councilman said, snapping his fingers.

Cass entered with a trident, sparkling with all of the beauty and life Martha had ever seen in the threads she’d plucked and cut, even more than that. And yet, what a terrible weapon, and she knew its purpose precisely.

“You should feel honored,” Cass spoke, “this is the weapon that killed my sister, the Tigris. And it will kill you all, Martha last.”

Martha stood, trying not to tremble with fear. She knew there was a possibility of something, some way that she could still change things, she felt it in her core, but time was running out. They were mere seconds away from demise. She scratched her head, absentmindedly adjusting her tiara as she realized Cass had no idea what it did.

That explained why Cass thought she was so weak from the moment they’d met, she had only been tracked since the night of the dance, when she already had it on. She grinned as she put her hands on her tiara.

“No,” Martha replied, “you will not kill anyone here.”

“What?” Cass said, “you think removing your pitiful princess crown can stop me?”

“Martha,” Atropos said, gasping, “don’t do it, you may not be fully ready to–”

“I’ll be fine,” Martha replied, looking back at her sister and smiling, “love you.”

“What is the meaning of this?” thundered the councilman, “Cass, execute them immediately.”

“Right away,” she replied, but as she threw the trident, Martha removed her tiara, and it was as if the world stopped.

“I SAID NO” a voice thundered.

The room turned to look at where Martha stood, her whole being now pure energy, so radiant hardly anyone could see her figure. Atropos quietly whisked her sisters and Tim to the back of the room.

“What’s happened?” Tim asked.

“She has unleashed her true power as the goddess of willpower,” Atropos explained, “she now has the power to do anything she wishes, especially as necessary to protect herself and us.”

“So that means–”

“Yes,” Atropos replied, “she can even destroy the whole of the heavens and the earth.”

“YOU WILL NOT STEAL MY INHERITANCE, YOU WILL NOT DESTROY THOSE I LOVE, YOU WILL SURELY DIE,” Martha thundered.

She turned her terrible gaze towards Cass, who was now bewilderedly staring at her. She pointed at her, and pure energy arced as it utterly destroyed her body.

The Council was in uproar, and tried to leave, but they found the doors similarly locked

“FOR TOO LONG, YOU HAVE OPPRESSED US WITH YOUR LAWS,” Martha spoke, “I SHALL ENSURE YOUR POWERS ARE STRIPPED FROM YOU, FOREVER.”

The Council froze as the High Councilman looked at them, and pulled out a ring. He laughed heartily as his fellow members all pulled out their own rings and put them on.

“We knew a day like this might happen,” the High Councilman replied, “and now we shall concentrate all the powers of heaven against you.”

“YOU MAY TRY,” Martha replied, not budging an inch.

The Council made their first move, attempting to hit her with a similar arc of energy. She repelled it flawlessly, nearly hitting one of the members. They next set up a shield, similarly deflecting her attacks.

“This is not good,” Lachesis said, motioning to them to hide behind a bench in the back.

“What do you mean?” Tim asked, “she’s going to win, right?”

“Each of those arcs has enough energy to destroy a whole continent. One misdirected deflection, and billions could die. This battle will consume lives, regardless of who wins,” Lachesis explained.

“So that was the meaning of the dream…” Atropos spoke, shocked, “she really was to destroy the whole world.”

“And we all were to watch,” Clotho added.

“What can we do?” Tim cried, anxiously twiddling their thumbs.

Another arc of energy crashed above them, causing them all instinctively to duck.

“I don’t know,” Atropos replied, “I could normally get close enough, but I am a shadow of my former energy and power, the universe has nearly entirely transferred it to her, as a result of my upcoming demise.”

“And neither of us are powerful enough in terms of will to face her,” Lachesis added.

“So,” Tim spoke, “that leaves me, doesn’t it?”

They all stared at Tim, a mix of pity, confusion, and understanding across their faces.

“You don’t have to do that. If anything were to happen to you, she would–”

“Exactly,” Tim replied, “she would stop. The council has got to know this is a lost game. We can renegotiate. I just need to get her to see me.”

“Not a bad idea, actually,” Lachesis replied, “it’s a shame we’re not taking more prodigies on, I’d love to have you as an apprentice.”

Tim beamed, nodding as they leapt up and ran towards the front of the room, ducking between aisles to dodge stray energy beams. Just as they neared the front of the room, the shield the Councilmen had prepared finally broke.

“NOW,” Martha spoke, “YOU WILL BE FORGOTTEN, ERASED FROM HISTORY.”

“We will prepare another shield, until we run out of strength, you shall never defeat us that easily,” the High Councilman sneered, readying another spell.

“Wait!” Tim squeaked, jumping in the middle of the two.

Martha’s gaze softened, and she spoke more lightly, “Tim, what the fuck are you doing?”

“Look at all the damage you’ve caused! If you keep up with this for too much longer, neither of you will have any earth or heavens to return to after this, no matter who wins!”

The Councilman turned to each other, whispering, before one spoke, “and what would you suggest?”

“A truce. Martha should be dismissed, and her sisters offered an apology and any supplies necessary to conduct their jobs,” Tim replied.

“I didn’t ask you to negotiate for me,” Martha hissed.

“You didn’t ask, but I know you would’ve, had you known the full extent of what you were doing,” they replied, smiling reassuringly.

Meanwhile, the other side of the room seemed to reach an agreement.

“No deal!” The High Councilman cried, sneering as he charged another attack.

And yet, the room seemed to stop in panic as a tear appeared in the ceiling.

21