Chapter 3: Spell Check
57 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ash tucked himself to the side of the open doorway, out of view from the roaming stone monsters outside. Proxi contorted into their tablet form for him, their dark form shifting to display his strange stat sheet again. Looking down with a searching look, Ash noticed an arrow and page number listed in the corner. His eyes narrowed, he must have missed that earlier.

Ash reached out and flicked his wrist, swiping the air in a sweeping motion. Despite his suspicion, Ash was still surprised to see the page turn like a magical e-book.
Handy, he thought.
On the next page a large title flashed ‘Spells and Abilities’ that was followed by a series of ‘Congratulations you have gained…’ messages popping up like announcements. Ash raised a brow, bemused.
This really is just like a game.

Ash hovered a finger over the first announcement, hoping that it worked like a touch screen. The announcement pulsed beneath his finger, expanding outwards.
It read;
You have acquired the Void ability: Shadow Step
Ash flicked his hovering finger upwards, attempting to scroll down.
Shadow Step. Amethyst ability.
Shadow Step allows the user to teleport between areas of darkness, appearing in the shadow of an intended target or location.
5 second cool down.
Cost: 5 mana’

Ash’s brow furrowed as he read. Mana costs? Cool downs? I am in a fever dream video game somehow, he thought. He took a deep breath, letting the thought settle before he opened his mouth.
“Interesting. Sounds like a pretty handy mobility spell” Ash nodded, swiping horizontally to reveal the next announcement.

‘You have acquired the Void ability: Bind. Amethyst ability.
User entraps the target with their own or nearby shadow. Effective against similar ranked targets. Higher ranked targets may break free.
30 second cooldown.
Duration: 10 seconds.
Cost: 5 mana’
.
“Another utility spell” Ash affirmed with narrowed eyes. “That seems pretty useful too.”

Ash felt a sense of relief wash over him, both abilities were helpful so far. If he was trapped in a game, then having good abilities was one sure fire way to beat the game. Ash was helpful that the next one would be a powerful offensive attack.

“What’s next?” Ash murmured softly, hiding a growing excitement as he swiped to the next page.
You have acquired the ability to use Words of the Ancients.
Known Words of the Ancients: None’

Ash frowned. What the hell is this? He thought. This wasn’t an attack spell; this wasn’t a spell at all. His excitement was dashed by the strange sentence. He had no idea what it meant. This was foreign to him.

“What does this mean?” Ash queried, hoping Proxi would have an answer.
“Words of the Ancients?” they replied.
Ash nodded, waiting quietly as Proxi seemed to vibrate in front of him. The wispy outline that framed the shadowy centre of Proxi’s ink blot core throbbed with colour.
“Words of the Ancients” Proxi began, “otherwise known as the Old Tongue, are specific words passed down from the first language, which were used before the first cataclysm. They are neutral magical abilities that can be used by anyone of any elemental affinity.”
The screens hovering outline pulsed with changing colour as Proxi relayed what sounded to Ash like a Wikipedia entry.

“So I have none then” Ash grumbled, glossing over the information, “Great. Moving on.”
Ash flicked his fingertip a fourth time, hoping for something more tangible.
You have acquired the martial archetype passive ability: Battle Mantle. Rank 1.
The user infuses their body with mana, increasing their speed, strength, endurance and reflexes.
Cost: 1 mana per 3 seconds.
Duration: Till depletion or cancellation.’

The edges of Ash’s lips curled upwards, betraying his usual sardonic façade.
“Nice. At least I won’t be dead the moment I step outside” he commented dryly.
Ash hovered a moment longer over the last ability. He felt… good? That was new. How long had it been since he had been physical? Having a magical boost on top assailed the gnawing fear in the pit of his stomach. He didn’t know how his body would fare outside with actual monsters. Truthfully Ash hadn’t given it much thought, not until he had been confronted with the reality.

The fear had unsettled Ash, the sight of the enormous creature outside sending a cold chill down his spine. It made him feel small, vulnerable. The last time he felt that way…no. He did not want to compare it.
This is a dream, Ash thought, trying to assure himself that everything happening was just his imagination.
Why am I not waking up then?

--

“Proxi, can you show me the quest again?” Ash asked, deciding to deal with what was in front of him.
Proxi’s form shuddered like a tv interrupted by static, revealing the quest text.
Ash scanned the quest outline, his brows knitted together as he read slowly.
All it asked was that he escape the arcane ruins. Ash turned his head, looking outside at the ruins. They looked like houses, apartment buildings even. How big were these ruins?

“Multiple routes” Ash said softly, reading further down.
The quest listed multiple possible routes of escape. They didn’t show him where those were, but having multiple options? Multiple routes to escape an empty, ruined town didn’t sound too hard to Ash; provided he was able to avoid the stone monsters. He frowned, unsure of what the challenge really was.

“Disable the Golems” Ash read, pausing briefly before repeating, “Golems.”
There it is, that’s the danger, Ash thought.
It wasn’t going to be as straight forward as a simple escape. As a dungeon master himself, Ash wouldn’t have made any encounter this simple.

If the monsters outside were golems, that would imply they’re not alive. Somehow, Ash would have to disable them.
They’re constructs, Ash thought, a feeling of hope brimming forward. He had an idea.
Magic constructs would usually follow predetermined patrol patterns in games. They usually had more basic AI. Ash scratched his chin, thinking hard. What did he have to do? Turn them off?

Ash leaned around the baroque door, twisting his head round to scan the street outside. He looked past the decrepit buildings that were in a state of falling apart. He squinted, trying to identify as much as he could. Ahead, rising high above the buildings was an enormous, stone tower. There was a faint glow emanating mysteriously from the very top, staining the sky around it a deep, ocean blue that rippled outwards.
That’s it, Ash thought.

“A mage tower!” Ash exclaimed.
Proxi let out a chirp as Ash broke the silence that had formed.
He tapped his fist against his forehead softly.
Think Ash. Think.
Moments later Ash clicked his fingers as Proxi waited eagerly for their new partner to speak.
“If there’s a mage tower controlling the golems outside with magic” Ash started, his tone eager as he divulged a theory, “Then maybe this entire town is a trap! We’re stuck inside, an invisible barrier keeping the golems in and others out. That means we’re trapped inside too. The only way to get out is to disable the golems, which might mean disabling whatever is keeping them, and us, inside.”
Ash paused, replaying the idea in his head.
“That makes sense, right?” He asked, seeking validation for his theory.
Proxi made a humming sound, as if they were considering the idea.
“That would explain why everything looks so old and run down?” they responded, “No one can get in!”.
Ash nodded, a hint of pride in his expression.
“So, all we have to do” Ash explained, “is sneak past the golems and turn them off. Then we should be free and finished”

A quest, Ash thought.
If he really was trapped in some coma dream, where his mind thought it was in a video game then maybe there was quest rewards too?
Ash looked down at Proxi, ignoring the implications of a coma dream as he read the quest objectives again.
There it was.
Listed beneath the objectives were rewards. Ash smiled for the first time. He was empty handed right now, so he hoped one would be a weapon.

Even with the battle mantle ability, a boost to his defence, offence and speed, it would be wise to avoid direct conflict for the time being. Ash had abilities now though, ones that would help him move around unimpeded at least.

The only problem, however, was that Ash had no idea how to use these…spells. He sighed. He would have to test them.
Ash walked back into the hall, away from the danger outside. The sun had lifted high into the mid-morning sky; bright rays of light shining through the cracks in the ceiling. They cast long, roving shadows around the pillars holding the building up.
“Practice makes perfect” Ash said half-heartedly.
“Good idea to test your spells!” Proxi replied eagerly
Ash nodded, eliciting a trill chirp of excitement from Proxi.
Ash had no idea how this would work. Powers? That was too alien. All he could do was imitate what was done in the games he played.

Ash picked a dark spot, a patch of pitch shadow that crept away from a pillar at the other end of the hall. He mentally crossed his fingers, hoping he could work it out.
Ash tried vocalising first, in tabletop RPGs you would usually announce your spells and abilities.
“Shadow… step!” he called awkwardly, closing his eyes.

Ash opened them slowly, one at a time. He looked down at his feet first, slowly looking up to find the target pillar sitting motionless, on the other side of the room still. It didn’t work.
“Go go shadowstep!” Ash called, this time with more gusto.
Still, nothing happened.
“Sh*t” Ash grumbled, feeling silly, “I guess it’s not verbal?”
Proxi hovered down in front of Ash; bobbing in place as if wanting to speak”
“Maybe you need to use your imagination?” They offered.
Ash rubbed his chin, tilting his head at the floating sprite.
“My imagination?” He repeated, what did that mean?”
“Imagine that you’ve already done it” Proxi affirmed.

Ash considered his strange companions’ words. Maybe they were right? They were from this …world after all. Maybe it wasn’t that Ash had to want it to happen. He had to feel it. Know it. He had to know and picture the end goal.

He closed his eyes again, scrunching his nose. He squatted down to brace himself, bending his knees slightly. Ash focused on the target pillar, he pictured himself alongside it; standing within the shadow it cast as if he were already there.

Ash took a deep breath. A sudden surge of energy ran through him. The air fell frigid cold as he exhaled, his hot breath washing against his cheeks like dewy steam. For a moment Ash was wrapped in pure silence, like a comforting embrace. He felt weightless. Ash could feel energy growing within him, like water currents swirling around him. What was this? Was it mana?
Thump.
Ash’s shoulders slumped forward, knees bending to brace against the sudden impact. Ash breathed slowly, exhaling as he opened his eyes. Ash saw the illuminated arch of the doorway. Not beside him anymore but across the room, hanging above the open door he had just been standing next to.

“Ha!” Ash cried, reeling over.
He braced his right hand on his knee, letting out a laugh of exultation.
He could not believe it. He couldn’t comprehend what had happened. But the proof was there. Ash had teleported! He had used a spell! Just like a video game character! Worry washed away as Ash felt truly happy for the first time in a while.

“Ash! You did it!” called Proxi, the excitement in their voice carrying across the hall.
“Watch this!” Ash called back, grinning.
Ash stood up, bouncing in place, jumping lightly off ground as if pumping himself up.
Blip.
In the next moment, Ash flashed out and back into reality, appearing in the shadow by the open door.

Ash was laughing now. He felt elated, his body light as a lost sense of enthusiasm welled up within him. He teleported!
It’s just like instant transmission or Shunpo, He thought, imagery of the various anime he had watched flashing through his mind.
Gone was the hesitation, the fear and confusion. For a moment Ash felt like himself, his old self.
“Okay Proxi. That was awesome” He said, beaming, “Let’s see what else I can do?”

5