Chapter 8: Open Door Policy
32 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ash knelt softly, leaning forward to peer over the edge of the building. He planted his hand firmly against the brown stained tiles to steady himself. Before him lay the monolithic tower, dwarfing the buildings around it as if they were miniatures; toys lying at the foot of a giant. The faint glow from the towers peak stained the sky above, deep blue mana tendrils rippled from the spire like waves breaking against a moonlit shore. This close to the tower he could spy a glint of colour that that loomed above the city; An uncanny glare that seemed unnatural, draping the skyline like an invisible veil. Ash wasn’t sure what to make of that.

The sun was setting now, the orange of the star a warm blaze against the darkening horizon. The long distance to the cities centre had taken longer than Ash expected as the number of patrolling golems increased. He was forced to keep out of sight, timing his jumps with precision. Numerous times he had nearly been caught, the hot red glow of danger flashing from below. To add insult, the growing dark of the sky had revealed that shadow step was useless without light. Where no shadows loomed, Ash could not jump. He was forced to scramble, following the path of diminishing light that the descending sun offered him. He breathed a long sigh of relief when he broke past the final few blocks, he had made it to the target location; though he wasn’t sure he would be able to leave safely. Everything now hinged on his bet that the tower was the quests lynchpin.

--

Ash stood up, pacing back and forth as he considered his approach. There was a heaviness to the air; a sense of unease cast by the sheer enormity of the tower. Ash could feel the hairs on his nape standing on end. It was as if the tower itself was a threat, an enemy challenging Ash; compelling him to turn and run. He stood firm, slowing his breathing. No backwards step he told himself.

The tower stood alone among the city, encapsulating an entire block to itself, surrounded not by the usual roads and alleys but a far-ranging courtyard that ended where the mass-produced buildings began. The courtyards were a mess of vegetation. What may have once been a garden was now a jungle. Overgrown hedges dotted the courtyards like weeds strangling the life of a dying flower; they held no shape save the faintest hint of long-lost designs.

Thick bramble broke through wild grasses, sharpened points angled outwards, shooting through the ground cover like spear tips aimed at any interloper. The sea of verdant greens decorated the courtyard with a myriad of threatening colours from thorn laden flowers; their petals a dark wine like gory viscera and an ombre of dull, warning sign yellow.

The dense, disordered gardens were cut with a small network of moss-stained paths. They flowed like tentacles from the tower, curling outwards and twisting through the underbrush, meeting small laneways that connected it to the wider city. Long rusted lamplights dotted the path, like guards standing at attention with a dull throb of light that leaked from a brown stained-glass case.

--

 The tower itself looked older than Ash expected, the blue stone chipped and pitted; the colour degraded and stained with age. Long vines coiled around the circular figure, covered in red barbed thorns. His heart sunk as he traced the silhouette higher. The windows he had spied were barred and covered like a prison cell that kept terrible danger at bay, both inside and out. Not only that, but the last vestiges of light had dwindled enough that there were no shadows from which he could shadowstep inside.

“Shit” Ash muttered under his breath. That was his plan A gone.
“Ash?” Proxi inquired.
They were floating beside him as he paced back and forth.
Ash pointed up to the iron barred windows, frowning and shaking his head.
“Maybe there’s a door inside?” Proxi offered, “On the other side maybe?”
Ash had considered this as he was approaching. It was his plan B situation; find a door, break in and climb from the inside. Window hopping would have made it a lot easier though. Plan C was to climb up the outside. Ash really didn’t like plan C.

“You’re right, we should check but…” Ash motioned around them. The setting sun had left barely any light to cast shadows. His options for traversing and investigating were fast closing.
“I’m not exactly excited about going to ground. Looks very full of unwanted surprises” Ash grumbled.
Proxi let out small whine in agreement.
“Let’s see if we can find a door first” Ash said, pointing to a patch of sun and shadow 3 blocks to the west, “We should be able to see the other side from over there.”
“Fingers crossed” Proxi voiced.
Ash raised a questioning eyebrow before breaking into a small smile. Proxi was a strange one. Ash turned and jogged across the roof, shadow stepping between the 3 blocks without breaking stride: his segmented cloak billowing behind as night fast approached.

--

As Ash rounded to the last building of the 3rd block, he skittered to a stop, the other side of the vast tower coming into view.
“Well, you were right” he said with a slight nod towards Proxi, “That’s a door alright.”
“Wow…” Proxi murmured.

Like the tower itself, the door before them was immense; standing taller than the building Ash was perched upon. A gargantuan caricature that was more a city gate than a building door. The shape was reminiscent of the door to the first church building, Arched at the top with a wide expanse through the middle. It was the colour of old, bleak grey wood, subtle hints of the original brown poking through the grain. It must have taken a small forest to carve a door of this size. Thick metal sheets were laid over the wooden panels like a frame, engraved with filigree and markings that Ash could not recognise.  At the peak of the doors arch was an embedded red crystal flanked by two ghoulish creatures. Gargoyle statues maybe. The crystal reminded Ash of the red mode that golems displayed. Ash wondered if it meant the doors were closed, the red a stop sign.

“What do you think?” Ash asked, hoping for a helpful response.
“Definitely a door” Proxi affirmed.
Ash frowned, that was not it.
“I mean the crystal. What do you think it means?”
Proxi paused, floating forward towards the rooftops edge.
“Looks very extravagant.”
Ash pursed his lips together, a mix of annoyed and amused.
Really, he thought.
“Doesn’t it remind you of the golems?” Ash offered, “What if that crystal shoots lasers at us? What if it summons monsters around us?”
“Oh yeah…” Proxi responded, floating back towards him. Ash followed with his eyes. They were hovering in place now, above a crack in the tiling.
“What if you throw one of these? You can probably throw it pretty far if you mantle, right?
Ash felt a flutter in his heart, like the statement was intended as a challenge. His body had unconsciously taken slight. Since arriving before the tower, Ash had been on edge. A mix of anticipation and nerves. Was Proxi trying to egg him on?

It was a good idea though. The crystal was already red, so if it was anything like the golems mana crystals it was looking for threats. Ash looked out at the paths leading to a small cobble stone square in front of the enormous door.
That should be about range, he thought.
If there were traps, that would be where. When Ash was dungeon master, he was infamous for the traps littering his scenarios. He narrowed his eyes.
“Good idea” he stated, turning back to pry some tiles free.

--

Ash moved 4 loose tiles to the edge of the building. They were light in his mantled grip, more like a frisbee than a heavy ceramic. On his first throw Ash had swung his arm hard. The tile soared high in the high… falling short and hard, missing the cobblestone square entirely. He heard the faint snap and crunch of foliage where it fell.
“That was a… uh… test” Ash said, scrunching his face with disappointment.

The second throw was more successful. Rather than a wide loping arc, Ash had kept his elbow closer to his body, relying on a quick flick of the wrist to drive the direction. It spun hard, crossing the tangled gardens with ease. Ash estimated the courtyard gardens were about the length of an American football field in all directions around the tower. It shattered hard against the cobbles, spraying crushed shards forward in a puff of demolished debris. Apart from the loud bang that echoed, the gardens remained quiet. No monsters jumped out from hidden crevices and bushes. No lasers from the large crystal.

Ash continued this for a third and fourth throw. He had to be sure. Proxi had cheered words of encouragement with each, causing Ash’ cheeks to flush hot. The fourth throw he swung harder again. The tile smashed against the wooden door; broken pieces falling to the ground, leaving only a white stain where the impact had crashed.

Nothing. No traps, no monsters. No danger. Why did the tower feel so overbearing then? Ash brought a closed fist to his forehead, tapping lightly. He expected traps. He expected… something? Something would at least give him what to expect. The unknown was unknown, and Ash did not like that.
“Looks safe to me?” Proxi nudged, interrupting Ash’s thoughts, “Should we go see if the door will open?”
Ash took a deep breath. The Sun was nearly gone now and there was only the faintest sliver of sun casting shadows across the courtyards of the tower. What options did he have? Camp out on a rooftop? Who knows what lay in wait at night.  
“Let’s go then” He answered, stepping off the edge and vanishing from sight.

--

Ash appeared on the pathway mid stride, his feet light against the overgrown cobbles. Proxi had floated down to the path as he blinked out of sight. They caught up to Ash as he headed towards the arched doorway.
“Ready?” They asked
“Ready as I’ll ever be” Ash responded, drawing in the now familiar tensing wave of mana into himself. He mantled his body. He was ready for whatever was coming. 

The courtyard was quiet, each step breaking the silence with an audible clack. With so many plants and bushes Ash had thought he would hear crickets. The air felt thick around them. Ash lifted his hand, stretching and twiddling his fingers slowly.
Mana he thought.
The familiar threads and particles of magic were flooding the area. The tower was the epicentre.
“This has to be it” Ash stated succinctly.
He could feel the anticipation rising and mixing with anxiety with each step. 
Answers.
He could finally get some answers.

As Ash walked into the cobble stone square, he steeled himself, clenching his jaw tight.
Moment of truth, he thought.
If anything was going to go wrong, now was the time. Ash closed his eyes as he reached the centre, halting. He waited. And waited. And nothing. Ash opened one eye. Then another. He seemed fine.  Before him stood the baroque and imposing door. He looked up to the crystal. It still glittered that brilliant red. The hue had grown a rich crimson as the sky darkened.
“How do you think we get it to open?” Proxi asked.
Ash tilted his head, “I’m not sure.”
Ash didn’t think there would be a handle and even if there was, would he be able to pull the enormous door open. Maybe there was a button somewhere. A magic button?
As Ash mused the options that lay before them Proxi interjected.
“Maybe we need to knock?”
Ash gave a small chuckle. Caught off guard by the suggestions. The thought amused him; Simply knock on the door and head on in. It couldn’t be that easy, could it? He didn’t see any other options right now thought. Emboldened by the lack of perceived danger, Ash flashed Proxi an eager smirk.
“Shall we find out?” Ash offered.

--

Ash started toward the huge doorway, Proxi trailing behind him. They hovered behind his shoulder, almost as if they were hiding. Ash kept his eyes forward though, focusing on the tap of each step he took. He came to a stop before the steps leading up to the doorway; 10 in total. They were broad sheets of stone that created a small incline leading to the doors.
No backwards step, Ash thought to himself as he took the first step. All of a sudden the crimson glow throbbed; pulsing as if an alarm had been set off.

Oh no, Ash thought.
He felt the world beneath him shudder. He heard a boom ahead as the red crystal began to sparkle, enveloping him in red light.
Oh no no no.
Ash felt cold fear run up his spine. What was happening now?
He heard Proxi call his name as the shuddering ground turned to a resounding boom.
Ash was stuck. Nowhere to run. A loud static was building around him, mana tickled the ends of his fingers; it felt charged and alive.

Abruptly the red light receded; fading away and replaced by a cold, dark purple. It was almost black light. It was like Ash had been covered by a…
“Shadow!” he exclaimed.
It was his affinity. The element of void!
Ash craned his head; the crystal had changed. The sparkling light had settled, and the cold purple had replaced the violent crimson. Ash looked around sheepishly. The booming had stopped. The shuddering had stopped.
What now?

 A clamour of clicks followed.
Click. Click. Click…
Ash counted six in total, like a series of locks being unlatched. The doors creaked loudly followed by a scraping sound as the door scuffed against the stone floor. A gust of wind was released from the opening, buffeting Ash. He peered through squinting eyes. He could make out no figures. Inside, it looked to be an empty…

3