Chapter 8: Onward
10 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Announcement
We officially break over 100 views

(((o(*゚▽゚*)o)))

 

“Finally!” The boy chirped, as he put down the pencil. The last question was finished. He could put his brain to rest now.

“Good work, Ran.”

“Ran?”

“It’s the short version. If you don’t like it, I won’t say it again.”

“Eh No I mean “Yes”. Feel free to use it, Gowen.”

Gowen replied with a smile then returned to work.

It came to Randal’s attention that his maters were writing on two separate papers.

“I didn’t know you could write with your two hands at the same time.”

“Nah, we couldn’t. Ren just insisted that we practice.”

“Wow. You’re so amazing.” On the left paper, Ren carefully practiced his writing. “Are you two right-hand?”

“We are.” “Yeah.”

The boy turned to Gowen’s side. His eyes settled on the notes filled with strange language. “What are you writing?”

“Formulas.”

“Formulas?”

“These are the actual thing that designs a spell. These things we are looking at are the formulas for the spell that summoned you.”

“These are the thing that brought me here?”


 

Around 2 days ago.

“Just like usual.”

“All ready.” Randal thumped up.

The twins casted the two spells in succession. Randal disappeared, then appeared, just to disappeared, and appeared once more. The twins exhausted his twice per day summoning and de-summoning.

With “Analyser” on, Clarinet quickly noted down the formula. Her expression was enough to tell how thing went.

“Do you want to hear it?”

“Yes, teacher.”

“They are completely different.”

When she first looked at the formula and detected the unknown symbols, she believed it was a forgotten or new language. To decipher an unknown language, she needs to have more than just one paragraph of text.

Take the common language for example.

I am hungry. I want to eat.

There are two “I” in these sentences. Normally, pronounce (I, you…) and conjunction (and, or…) are the most common. By understanding what is the pronounce and conjunction, it marked the start of the translation progress.

Hence, she suggested the siblings to summon more. By using the spell more, they boys could potentially use a different formula.

The techniques of casting spell are more than just focusing one’s mind to the spell. For those that haven’t reached the proficiency level to use a spell just by thinking about it, they could not use different formula by thought.

To elaborate, let’s look at our imaginary friend, Joe. Joe have used Lift his entire life and could now cast this spell without any of the technique. The way to use the Lift spell, or rather the way to construct the formula to use the Lift was ingrained to his mind. This is when one says, Joe has mastered Lift.

With the advancement of magic, new formulas were found. Joe would be correctly identified as “Lift 1: Max proficiency”, because the formula he was using is the first formula knew to the academic community.

When Joe casts the 2nd or 3rd formula of Lift, chances are he would need to use some techniques since he has no proficiency with those formulas. If the formula is partially similar to the 1st formula that he was too used to, he could potentially use it without much trouble and skip some steps.

Proficiency is 1) tied to one’s mind, and 2) only to denote one formula not the entire spell.

Clarinet assumed by making change to their casting techniques, she could get a different formula. Having two formulas that produced the same magical effect is very useful. It provided depth to the language.

This damnable spell’s formula, though, changed every occasion. Every time the twins casted, she saw a new formula.

There was this hypothesis in the academic community. It discusses about encoded or encrypted formula. This stemmed from encrypted messages used by the military and aristocrats, where letters or words are replaced with a different symbol or word. As long as one does not have the key to decipher, the content of the message is secured.

In magic, beside minimising the chance of being interrupted, encoded magic would prevent other parties from analysing the magic. When others couldn’t identify which magic was used but have to deduce from the effect, the caster can conceal his true power from scrying eyes. It is a novel idea, but no one has been able to produce a single encrypted formula.

Clarinet was determined to be the first. She believed this summoning spell has a heavily encrypted formula. There are many methods to decipher but only one she could do, seeking pattern. If the formulas are the same, then only the encryption was changed. She could seek for the similarities to identify which are the same formulas. Then by comparing formulas, she would get to understand the meaning.

That was everything Clarinet told the boys. To her surprise, their 5-year-old brain has no issue digesting these knowledges. It was always a treat for a teacher to have excellent students. Thus, she taught them the basis about formula. This was also the reason why Randal got to spend the night in the real world, so that they can summon more when they met Clarinet.

So far, her analysis has been for naught. No pattern was found. It could mean the pattern was too subtle to realise. It could also mean the true meaning of the formula was different every time. Lift got 28 formulas, but there are more than 80 other obsolete formulas. She couldn’t bring herself to believe this summoning spell got more formulas than that to change every time. The lady with recession hairline was convinced that there were just some tens of formulas, and mostly it was the algorithm that was changed.

Thing didn’t look good. Based on the complexity, it may require national to international effort to make sense of these symbols.

“Not only would this announce a completely new spell, but it would also prove the existence of encrypted formula. Invention like that could very well change the calendar era. Monumental discovery like this is done by very large groups, not one person. Ha.” The chuckle was such a poor veil to hide her frustration. “Let’s not think too much about it. If any person could change history, we would have reached for the star by now. I wouldn’t be so surprised with this level of difficulty.”

This, the twins could relate. The many thousands of failures at magic casting were fresh to their mind.


 

“You get on the bed, Randal. We will finish up and come later.”

“Ok.” The boy quickly got himself comfortable. He slept near the wall anyway.

After cleaning up their stuffs, the twins stretched their joints. Their stiff neck finally got to rest.

The last light went out with an air blow.

From the right to the left were the wall, the bad-sleeping-posture Randal, the fast-asleep Gowen, and the head-full-of-thought Ren.

Why does the summoning spell need to be so secured with this much encryption? Why can they cast this spell, but not other spells? How was their magic affinity measured? Could they all connect? I can’t think of anything else. Maybe teacher know something.

His brother’s steady breath led him to sleep.


 

Leaked through the tight window, sound of chirping birds woke him.

What a surprise. He was the earliest today. When the brain made sense of what his eyes was looking, the boy’s heart almost jumped out of his chest.

Randal was sleeping on his stomach. His right hand rested on his masters, while his face was right next to Gowen.

He carefully retreated his hand and turned to the wall. It was a good thing that he was the first to awake. The boy let out a silent “phew!”

Randal collected himself. His fingers caressed the right hand. The feeling of warmness still lingered.

When he was first summoned, he had nothing. He knew nothing about the world reflected in his eyes, nor the self resides within this body. What he had is a directive, a compelling urge to seek for the twins, to fledge his loyalty to them.

Greeting his masters for the first time was a stressful ordeal. What if his masters don’t like him? What if he did something to offend the masters? What would happen if the masters reject him? He was told to call them masters, but they were actually his creators. Would he be accepted by such great beings?

He did what was necessary. He grovelled at the sight of his masters. The encouraging Gowen and the stern Ren, they were his masters. They were a sight to behold; bloody in appearance, but brilliant nevertheless.

Master Gowen’s affectionate welcome blessed him with extreme joy. He even called him by a name. Master gave him a name. To think that the master treasured his insignificant existence, words escaped him.

He was in heaven, being loved by his makers. There could be no greater feeling than that, but his paradise was soon to fall apart. He realised that those love was not for him, but for someone else. It was so silly of him to believe he could have his masters’ affection without any achievement. He just got the same appearance as that person, Rand.

He was sure he displeased the masters. The dread of being abandoned by the masters plagued his being. It was awful, hurt, suffocated. He prayed in his mind to not be thrown away. He begged to be of use to the masters. Not knowing the future, his body shuddered at the thought of what to come.

The terrible fate he drew up was proven wrong. How he cursed his inferior mind for assuming the master could be as petty as himself. The masters didn’t anger at him. They even allowed him a name. To name a tool that they could create at any time, the masters are the epitome of kindness.

Everything that happened afterward were utterly blissful for Randal. He was named after the precious friend of masters. He was brought inside the masters’ domain and received by the masters’ father. While he had whole-heartedly accepted his role of a servant, never once did the masters nor people around them treated him as a servant. He went to the same class as the masters, trained together as the masters, ate on the same table as the masters, and even spent the night on the same bed. It was more than he could ever wish for.

He wished to soon be able to pay back his masters’ kindness.


 

Snap!

The fifth time Randal lost his sword, the fifth time he lost against the twins today.

The boys relaxed their breath as Trump announced the victor.

Today the human boy really made the twins felt overwhelmed. There is only so much one can do without magic. Against an opponent that blends magic and skill, skill alone won’t serve.

The match-up against other kids was also showing sign of reverse. Although it hasn’t been apparent, their classmates were picking up the pace. They improved their skill. They get used to magic. They became more efficient at combining sword fighting and spell casting. They would catch up eventually.

The brothers were still ahead of the game because of that time fighting the wolves. Their elven body has gotten a better hold of battle instinct. The very cells within this body knew where and when the danger will come, an advanced alert system that only comes with experience. Having such high-level stuffs at 5 years old was nothing short of cheating. Couldn’t be helped, they got a mind that went through fierce battles before.

Nonetheless, they were not used to dodging. In their past life, it was other people that did the dodging if they don’t want the twins’ spell or their war hammer to send them to the afterlife. The ogres that crushed their enemies with brute force and overbearing magic was now the weaker in offense.

“You guys are amazing.”

“Look who’re talking. You couldn’t touch us just a week ago. Today, you handed us two losses.” Gowen pouted.

“Ren, Gowen. You guys ok sparring with me?” The twins are not good with remembering elven faces, but this blue hair boy they knew. Among the kids, Thames was their greatest rival. He has always scowled at them from a distance. At any rate, something changed. While their social exchange remained few in words, there was no longer hostility in his gaze.

“Yeah, sure.”

Not counting teacher, Thames was the one they felt the least confident. He has been reading them quite well lately. Their bait has been ineffective against him, while he developed his own trap. Their advantage in combat experience and sword skill was fading. Meanwhile, Thames was getting better at incorporating magic into sword play. With both sides getting close in power, their matches were always dragged out.

 

“Both sides lost their sword. A draw!”

“You are getting good, huh?”

“I am, and this is just the start.”

They couldn’t afford to be relaxed against Thames. The boys were running out of idea to deal with a superior opponent. This time was a draw. The next time could well be their defeat.

Only Trump knew the true, though. If the two fought for real, thing would go their way. He has observed Ren and Gowen for a long time. There was always this feeling. If he had to describe, it would be like swinging a bat but always stop near the end. On the other side, Thames always went all out. Trump wondered if the twins aware of this. People tend to take practice less serious than real battle.

Also, there was one more thing…


 

“You are not optimising yourself.” Trump’s comment caused them to turn back. “I have watched people handled weapons long enough. There was this thing about you using the sword that feels awkward. I don’t think the sword is for you.”

The boys finally picked up the topic. “But a lot of people use sword. To know the way of others is to know how to fight them.”

Trump squinted his eyes. “You are the weirdest pair I know. The way you fight, the way you think, and all the strange things around you.”

“Eh?” “Are we that… weird?”

“Yes. Yes, you are.” Trump sat down on the floor in cross-legged position. “What am I going to do with you guys? You two clearly need a different kind of mentoring.”

“But you have already been a very good teacher to us. You could just treat us as everyone.”

“Are you really fine with that? I mean you got a lot of potentials. A different teaching or a better teacher could help you more.”

“We are thankful, but we are fine with how things are.”

“Are you saying that because you really are ok with that or because you don’t want to trouble Taka?”

The boys had no answer for his question.

“Fine! Say, do you want to duel with me?”

“Why?”

“I need some answers about you guys. A match will satisfy my curiosity. You could refuse, I won’t-”

“No. We agree. You help us a lot. It’s the least thing we can do.”

“Great! Just use something else that fits you guys instead of the sword. I will use my sword. We will fight for real this time. I want you guys to give 100%.”

“I don’t think we got something like that around here.” Gowen checked his memory.

“Just tell me what you want. Dagger, spear, staff. I know where to whip up a weapon or two.”

The boys exchanged a curious look. By their current body size and strength, there could only be one weapon. “A club. If that’s not possible, then something with a heavy end will do.”

Trump dropped his mouth in surprise. “You, serious?” Their unchanged expression was more than enough for a reply. “I will go out for a bit. Meanwhile, you two take this time to prepare yourself.”

Just when he went out of sight. “You can show yourself you know.”

A hesitant Randal revealed himself. Every day, he would return home with the twins or announce his departure. It was weird for him to be this late.

“How much did you hear?”

“Most of them.”

“What do you want to do then?”

“Can I stay behind and watch?”

“You will have to wait for him to return.”

“I will wait!” His azure eyes sparkled. Randal was expecting a scold from his masters for being nosy. In contrast, he was even allowed to stay. Of course, he would be happy.


 

“Good evening, father.” The boys were in harmony.

“Good evening, Mr Taka.”

“Good evening to you boys, too. How are your day?”

“It was…” Seeing his father’s creased eyebrows, Gowen forgot what he was saying.

“It was a good day, father. Ms Clarinet brought us some antidotes used by adventurers to look at. We didn’t know there were so many different types.” Ren was quick to improvise, but subconsciously he knew his acting was subpar.

“That’s lovely… Do you have sparring matches this afternoon?”

“Yes, father.” Their brown skin once again got wet with sweat.

“Try not to push yourself so hard. You boys, wash up and prepare for dinner.”

“Yes, fathers.”

“Yes, Mr Taka.”

That was a close call. Clarinet patched the cuts on their arms and legs well enough to blend with the minor bruises. They thanked Clarinet from the bottom of their heart. This spell, they definitely got Randal to learn.

The cuts look mild due to the treatment. If Trump didn’t hold back, they would have been a hundred grams lighter. They fought tooth and nail, got every trick in the book, and only managed to get a clean hit. The disparity between those that can and can not use magic was as expected.

It was a terrible match-up with their current strength. However, it felt great to fully exert themselves. The time with the wolves, they got an injured leg. This time, they were in good shape, albeit a bit tired from the training. Again, the result wouldn’t be much different.

Each passing day, there was more progress toward their goal and more issues to adjust. Today lesson would be the need for bludgeon training. Sword and club have different weight distribution. Hence, the body handle the weapon differently.

They got their hands on stick and branch before, not something with a heavy end as the mace of today. While Gowen was wondering if they could continue borrow that weapon for an extended time, Ren was more concerned about the way Randal was looking at them. His concern was legit. Randal could blind someone else with the sparkle in his eyes.