Chapter 11: Second Encounter
9 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Sorry that it was late this time. I just want to make it right.

 

“…You are really 10 years old?”

“Uh huh.”

“I thought you were 7 like us.”

“If you just see my upper body, then sure. The best way to tell my people age is our lower body.”

“Lower… body…?” Randal slowly turned red.

“Yes.” The centaur boy was oblivious to this misunderstanding. “Younger centaurs have a more petite body.”

Looking back to the upper and lower body ratio, Altan clearly has a small and younger human torso. His horse part though was almost twice the width of his human waist. The horse body was also slightly longer and higher than that of his human torso proportionally. Everything else except the hooves were covered by the grey caparison. Not even bone structure can be recognised through this piece of clothing.

Ren put a hand on his chin, while Gowen peeked out his head. Those were new info for them. The proportion between the human torso and the horse body was fixed for pegasus centaur.

Hold on a second!

“But I saw the adults with you. Their proportion is wildly different from each other.” “Yeah. We thought centaur are varied with body type.”

“Ah. Uncle Bilguun is from a different tribe. For my people, it’s how I told you.”

“I haven’t asked you this but are you from around here?”

“I am from the continent to the east.”

“You came from another continent? Wow!” Randal sparkled at the centaur trotting beside his wagon.

“What about you? You don’t look like elf people. Are you from a different continent too?”

“Ah. No. I lived in a city in the south.”

“Oh.” Altan stole a look at Clarinet and the twins. “Are they your mother and brothers?”

“No no. That’s my teacher, she teaches me magic. Ren and Gowen are my relatives.” This part he got plenty of practice for the last two years and can lie without a pause.

“I see.”

“Are you travelling with your father?”

The horse boy shook his head. “These uncles are, friends of my father.”

“Your parents must be missing you.” They should be because it wasn’t easy to convince Taka to let Ren and Gowen go.

“I don’t have them anymore.”

“I am… sorry.”

“That’s ok. How about you?”

“Ah…” Randal contemplated. While it’s true he doesn’t have parents, he has two creators. Would that be correct to say yes? “I don’t know.” His thought leaked out.

“You don’t know your parents?”

“No… really… but… yes… it’s kind of…”

“Do you, feel lonely sometimes?”

“Eh? No. I have Ren and Gowen. They are like brothers. I have Mr Taka taking care of me. He is Ren and Gowen’s father. I also have my two teachers. They are very good to me. I couldn’t ask for more.”

“I see. Sorry (for making assumption).”

“No. Don’t apologise.” What is he sorry for?


 

The caravan came to a halt.

Batch met up with the mercenary chief outside the wagon. “What’s wrong?”

“Our scouts located a group of demon beasts ahead. Around 10. Same kind that appeared near Eldorval two days ago.”

The soldiers had warned Batch about these new creatures. They walk on two legs. Brutish. Strong body. Can use weapon. The good news is they don’t use magic. With more than double their number, the mercenary group he hired should have no issue dealing with them.

“What do you suggest?”

“We have a few choices.

Waiting and scouting a bit more. Perhaps, they will leave.

Or we send message to Eldorval. The city is a day away. In the earliest, reinforcements will arrive in half a day…”

Merchants like Batch carries a long-range communication device. It’s a bulky box of glass, silver, and marble. The sender’s thoughts are sent directly to the brain of the receiver on the other device. If no one is on the other device, no communication is made. For its price, weight, size, and recent appearance, only city and rich people can afford to have it. Despite having limit, its communication range is quite long.

“…Or we could just move forward.

Our band have more than twenty combatants. We could handle 10 magicless beasts.”

Couldn’t make the decision, “I will bring this up to everyone.”

 

“…That’s everything.”

“Mr Bilguun. Mr Batzorig. You two faced them before. Could you tell us anything?”

The centaur men looked at each other. After a silent agreement, the bald one spoke.

“These beasts are as you (the mercenary chief) have been informed, magicless. They relied mostly on brute strength, but they are no fool. They have a decent sense of combat. I must stress that even without magic they put up a good fight. The soldiers of the city fared well against them though.”

“If so, my men should have no problem in even number.”

“Excuse me. Could we not send a group to take them out before moving the caravan there?” All eyes converged to the timid traveller. “Call me coward if you want, but for someone that can’t fight, I don’t want to be too near.”

“That’s risky for both the assault team and those behind. We have 27, including me. Six of my band are more specialised in scouting than combat. If we send out an attack team, I won’t agree to anything less than 12 for the safety of my men. That left only 9 here. We don’t know if there won’t be more hiding somewhere else. Remember that we are near the edge of the forest.”

“The forest” here is the Lost Forest to the west of Eldorval. Once, it was a major region of Tezmahuichi Kingdom. The Spring of the Lord belonged to the Jaguar god Tezma’gunth. Now it lied in ruins, and the forest around is filled with spirit animals and demon beasts. From Balvich, there is no direct road to the north. People must detour to the north-eastern city Eldorval, then move northwest to resume their travel. All is for the purpose of avoiding the Lost Forest.

“Then should we send people out there to scout?” Another opinion, voiced. “To find out if there are more beasts.”

“Although we’re familiar with this area, the minimum for scouting is in pair or as a group of 4 if you want us to head into the forest.

You’ll have to wait for hours on this road between the forest and the cliff.”

“We have enough supply for days, but being near the forest for too long is dangerous.” Batch joined in.

On that, everyone nodded. The crowd stayed silent until a member spoke up. “Chief. What do you want to do?”

The experienced mercenary assessed the mood. He carefully chose his words. “I say we keep moving. Whether there are more of them or not, we can’t prove. Instead of complicating the problem and spooking ourselves, let’s make it simple.

I will have two of my men keep tag of the beasts, while the scouting party will search the surroundings.

Our caravan will move forward. My band will deal with them.

If there really are more of them lying in waiting, we either open a path and make our escape or move back to Eldorval.

Regardless, we will keep Eldorval informed of our situation.”

“That sounds ok to me.”

“Agree.”

“I don’t know how much she could help but Muffa is here. She could protect us somewhat.”

“She is a spirit mule?” Puzzled, a young man.

“You don’t know?” Responded, his buddy.

“I am not as sharp as you, ok?”

 

“Teacher. What do you think?”

“Those beasts Kai introduced to us carried weapons. They have some levels of intelligence. Gods know if they have anyone that can use magic. What about you guys? What do you think?”

Ren took the first turn. “If they know how to make traps, it’ll be difficult when we try to make a cut through their ambush.”

Randal followed up. “Now I’m worried. They wouldn’t surprise us with being able to tame wolves as hunting hounds, would they?”

“Altan. You must have met them. What do you think?”

Gowen’s question put the centaur into his thinking face. “The ones we fought were quite strong as fighters. I don’t know if they can be stronger.”

Those were legit concerns.

“Let’s prepare ourselves.”


 

On this mountainous road, if travellers keep moving forward, they will reach the town of Rael in five days on foot.

To their right is a gentle cliff leading to an uneven terrain of scattered tree stretching to the horizon.

To their left-hand side, the outskirt of the Lost Forest. Low shrubs distance themselves on the vast field of ankle-height grasses and lumpy bushes.

When wind pauses and branches and leaves stop their rustle, the seemingly unobstructed scenery falls into the earie unsound. Past travellers, even in group, couldn’t help but shudder while traversing this road.

This forest feels “fake” for any elf that came to know it. Like a murderer adorns a friendly mask to hide their sinister face. Like a parasite hides within the dead flesh of its once host. This forest put up a deceptive front. It looks like any forest… but it lacks the essence of one.

The sound of the forest is its heartbeat and sleeping snort. Thus, a forest is no difference from a slumbering giant. This forest. It looks undead. Being near it is being near a mass of necrotic tissues that’s somehow fresh and green.

In the past, it was fine. A place of dangerous denizens, a forest nevertheless.

Moving many millennia before even that, it was the pulsing muscle of the jaguar god. The honoured guests of Tezma’gunth would be welcomed in its vigorous display, the showcase of might and prosperity.

Then, we got to its current stage. A husk of unlive that compels travellers to quicken their feet and leave this place behind lest they want dread to choke out the last bit of their sanity.

The dark shade of a robust plant hid the slender body clothed in myrtle green. She had dug a concave hole to plug herself in. A blanket casted over her body from feet to her brunette hair. On top of it was a layer of dirt and grasses extracted from nearby. Her breath was subtle. Smelling the scent of grass and dirt kept her calm. She should be no difference from her surroundings, be it appearance, sound, or smell. Her eyes peered at the rowdy group of amber skin.

Mich was tasked with observing these creatures an hour ago or more. Keep track of their number and activities, then send it back to her twin sister through their special telepathic pathway. That was her mission, a hard one.

Having her eyes on them is not difficult. Keeping herself calm to not give away her position is the primary issue.

The first night Mich spent on this road, she didn’t want to leave her tent that she soiled her pants on the morning. Sixty-eight cold seasons have passed since that wet mattress, and Mich couldn’t bring herself to make friend with this atmosphere. She was used to it, but never like it. The more conscious she is to the forest, the heavier her heartbeat. The heavier her heartbeat, the harder her breath. A speck of dirt into her lung could cause her to cough. The smell of sweat from her body would also likely be a cue for predators like those beasts. A lot of things to think about and avoid thinking about.

In her heart, she thanked those loud-mouth creatures as they joked in unknown language. She would have wetted herself being this near to the Lost Forest without those noise. She got a partner, Tarrad, but she buried far from her. More elves, more smell of clothes and metallic crafts. More people, more breathing, more heartbeat, more rustling clothes. It’s a bad idea to have scouts jumbled together.


 

The caravan has resumed its wheels. They would be on the point in 13 minutes.

Unna, Mich’s sister, received a message 6 minutes ago. If nothing changes, she should receive another in the next 4. That was until that jolt forced her into action.

“Chief. The number of beasts has increased into more than 20.”

“Can she tell the exact number?”

“22!”

“Is it double the previous?”

“Yes, chief.”

“Interesting. Tell them to take care.” He turned to the worried Batch opposite him. “Seem like it’s an outpost.”

“A what?”

“Group of beasts, sitting in the open, easy to spot, not doing anything, even joke at each other. Suddenly a group of similar number appear. It feels like guards exchanging shift to me.” Looking at the clueless face of the merchant, the mercenary added. “We still need to see if this theory of mine is correct. Anyway, we will have to change our strategy up a bit.”

“Chief. The former group returned to the forest.”

“Ok. Then let’s change thing up.”

“What do you mean?”

“What Mich and Tarrad observed confirmed that those creatures are likely border guards. Then a barrack or a nest wouldn’t be too far away. We will have to dash. Luckily, they may not pursue us.”


 

The growling sound awaked the silent landscape. They detected the moving wagons from a hundred meter away.

As the caravan getting closer, the beasts composed themselves, forming a battle line.

To these creatures, the wagon’s lamps shone like beasts’ gleaming eyes.

Undeterred by their warning cry, the strange large beasts without leg continued approaching.

Noticing the way the demon beasts were holding their spear, the chief ordered at once. “Dispatch! Follow the plan!”

Fifteen or so smaller humanoids left the running wagons.

Moonlight reflected on their weapons. The demon beasts instinctually knew these smaller ones were those they should be concerned with.

If it was not for this new occurrence, they would have unleashed their spears at the large beasts.

The hunters had to readjust themselves. They steadied their posture.

These smaller ones were much smaller, faster. Thanks to being closer now, hitting them shouldn’t be hard.

Whoosh!

The first spear signalled the start. Many followed suit.

Parting air, thick and pointy wooden staffs found their target… at the ground. Some were deflected by sword, others by shield.

Nine came flying. All did squat to the chargers.

The leading demon beast rallied its companions for melee.

It dashed toward the closest one it could find. It calculated the distance to its enemy. Its rock axe was readied to bite onto the coming opponent.

The chief was no amateur. Calculating distance is the basic of one-on-one. A burst of speed brought him much closer to the beast than it expected.

Feinting he was moving at his best speed caused such disruption to the beast. Its baffled eyes affirmed the chief that this creature lacked knowledge of such cheap trick. With them unable to react in time, the chief was guaranteed to have the first strike.

In spite of that, he got to admit. This creature had some battle instinct. The moment he started to speed up, its axe-wielding arm had moved differently. It caught on to the act very fast. Sadly, seeing is different from being able to react.

Tremendous Strike!

The chief shouted in his mind, triggering the devastating effect onto his enemy. The energy crashed onto the beast’s muscular chest rupturing its organs and breaking its bone and spine.

Due to being pushed back by the colourless energy blast, the chief’s sword could only make shallow cut on its skin. It was no problem. The slash was not the main blow of that attack.

His mercenaries let loose their spell upon getting in range. In the short outburst of scream and sharp objects piercing the skin, the beasts were incapacitated. There were survivors, but those were too weak to move.

Mich and Tarrad have already got to safety jumping on a running wagon. It’s one thing taken care.

When the last five about to leave this place, that’s their cue to retreat.

Perhaps it was the mercenaries’ imagination, but the half-full caravan passed so slowly even at their max speed.

These creatures, while intimidating, were not even as much a threat as the spirit wolf.

Through his keen sense, the chief got a glimpse of their lifeforce. It was diminishing.

He saw these creatures have something similar to his people, having guards, crafting weapons, and even upright walking. He had expected them to have more hidden hands to play. Instead, disappointment clung to his breath.

Recalling all the demon beasts his group had encountered, demon beasts were all the same. They flaunted their lifeforce arrogantly like a trophy. It’s exceedingly simple to know where their location is, how much power they wield, and how close to death they are. Like a candle without cover, they know no discretion.

It was in complete opposite of spirit animals. Those beings that have conquered death knew their standing. They hid their spirit well. You couldn’t tell exactly how strong a spirit animal is. You lose men left and right, while your blows never reach them.

When your desperate attack with everyone’s help got to them, they let loose their true strength for a life-and-death battle. It’s then that you start shivering.

The coming roar interrupted his inner thought. Another group had arrived but the caravan had yet to leave. They had to fight the second round.

It was 25 this time. Moreover, their lifeforce appeared to be stronger. Some of the beasts had better clothes and accessories too.

If these beasts have their culture, will that make these ones the veterans? He wondered.

Using Lift, he launched couples of lying spears at the newcomers. None of them hit. They didn’t even slow them down.

The beasts merely sidestepped from the trajectory. To be honest, it would be strange if demon beasts with that much lifeforce couldn’t trivialise those simple range attacks.

Unlike his exploring attacks, what his men had in store wouldn’t be that uncoordinated.

The first arrow left Nolla’s bow. Aided by the “Piercing” spell, it tore wind forward.

The target noticed and evaded by moving to its right. It moved exactly onto the path of the second arrow shot by Gwen, Nolla’s brother.

The arrow drilled a small hole into its left chest puncturing its heart and lung. This one had come flying the moment the brute attempted to dodge. When it detected the arrow, its fate was sealed.

Nolla followed up with 2 arrows ending its life. One rested on the forehead of the dumbstruck beast. The other went through its throat and spinal cord.

Elwan decapitated a different beast using three Wind Blades. Applying similar tactics, the first one forced the target to act, the second took its life, the third was assurance. If Clarinet was here, she would have to admit that Elwan was more proficient at Wind Blade than her, only taking half the time to cast.

Jomy maneuvered two into a straight line by “Lift-ing” broken weapons of the first group. Fire Stream then roasted them both in one go. This is one hell of a feat.

Fire Stream is a terrible spell. It got offensive power by projecting a stream of fire for some seconds. However, it’s among the more complex spells. Unless you are used to it, twenty seconds just to cast it is normal. Twenty seconds is stepping into the domain of long-range spells. Meanwhile, Fire Stream has barely 20m in effective range, the distance of short-range spells. Once the spell is casted, there is no changing direction. Thus, it has no usage outside eliminating stationary target. Technically, using it in combat like this is not welcomed. Still, that is the only spell in Jomy’s arsenal capable of getting them at sufficient time.

By the time swords and spears took over, ten of the beasts had died.

The chief kept a low posture with his shield hand on top as if bracing the upcoming the rock hammer. This was a ruse.

The creature wearing the wolf pelt thought it was weird too. There ain’t no way such body size could withstand its hammer strike. As a result, it refrained from overcommitting to the attack. Its body was prepped up to pull out in moment of notice. Despite knowing the risk, its imagination failed to fathom the full extent of its enemy.

In a blink, the chief shortened their gap from six steps to two. “Blunt Force” blessed his shield hand. In swift action, the heater shield banged onto the hammer hand of the creature at the handle, bashing the hammer away from its hand.

The creature’s pinkie and respective knuckle shattered.

Before its brain could register the pain, the pointy-ears was on his next attack.

Tasting the toughness from slicing the first beast, he knew well an one-hand thrust wouldn’t go far against this creature’s skin and muscle.

“PENETRATE!” The spell coated the tip of the blade with an invisible sharp point.

A good choice there. “Piercing” would take longer for him to cast, and “Sharp Edge” would also be more complex to work in that timeframe.

The blade sank a nail-length into the flesh. It went as smooth as hot-knife through butter.

The blade sank a finger-phalanx deep into the flesh. Resistance of flesh could be felt at the other end of the sword.

The blade sank a whole-finger deep into the flesh… and it never went deeper. The creature reacted just in time. It jumped backward leaving the sword tip red with blood.

To somebody of the chief’s size, that was considerable damage, not mentioning it was aiming at the heart from the stomach position. To a creature endowed with such stature and alien anatomy, that thrust may be less threatening than it seems.

“LAST ONE IN SIGHT!” That’s the cue.

Abandoning the injured enemies, the mercenaries fled back to the wagons.

The three still-standing creatures chased after the elves in berserk. Absolutely no way they allow these attackers to hit and run like that. They would strip their flesh and eat th-

The head of one of the chasing three caved in. Bone, teeth, blood, eyeballs decorated the plain earth.

Elwan was still sprinting with his back opened. He didn’t turned his head, no commanding voice, no gesture, and the second Wind Bomb was already launched.

This time, the appalled second creature had its throat removed. Like a geyser, its heart-racing body ejected hot blood into the cold air.

Collected by the second dead, the third one successfully dodged the third Wind Bomb, letting it pass through and explode on earth.

It and the one that the chief failed to kill decided to drop the pursuit. Bows and arrows on the running wagons were visible. They would turn them in hedgehogs have they got closer.

1